Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

got mine for $3600

Got mine for $3500... after much negotiation. (KDL46X3100)

Picking up today and will check for dead pixels straight away... now I'm shopping around for a good (and cheap) cabinet for it. Does anybody have any suggestions for a cabinet? Must have a spot for my centre channel speaker and room for my receiver and DVD player... I have about 150cm width to play with.

Can't wait to pick it up! :D

Hi All, my first post and I'm a bit lsot with this tech and this forum but I am looking to get a sony hd lcd 40x3100. I know it will be great for watching dvds but will it be terrible for watching foxtel. Our TV is not near an aerial point so can't use FTA. I have heard the talk and seen it on here about Foxtel HD but since this could still be quite a way off I am not counting on it. I currently have a resnoble 5 year old very heavy 30' Toshiba CRT.

Thanks

odds

Edited by odds on

Thanks for that guys,

I thought up a plan to tackle my situation. My amp has 2 optical audio inputs, ill have one optical cable running from the TV and another running from the VGA cable on my 360(non-Hdmi 360). That way, DVD(360), 360(games) and HDTV will all run in DD5.1. My other question is, will this optical cable from the TV (46X3100) still... how do you say?... transport the audio from SD channels to the amp? or does it only transport DD5.1?

Get what i mean?

thanks for the help once again,

klawrence.

Hi I'm a would be 46 X3100 owner as I have shopped around and believe I have got a good deal at $3950 inclusive of a 4 year warranty.

I would like to know from current owners whether or not they have Foxtel and how does it look through the Bravia in terms of Picture Quality.

Thanks.

Thanks for that guys,

I thought up a plan to tackle my situation. My amp has 2 optical audio inputs, ill have one optical cable running from the TV and another running from the VGA cable on my 360(non-Hdmi 360). That way, DVD(360), 360(games) and HDTV will all run in DD5.1. My other question is, will this optical cable from the TV (46X3100) still... how do you say?... transport the audio from SD channels to the amp? or does it only transport DD5.1?

Get what i mean?

thanks for the help once again,

klawrence.

Klawrence. The optical out outputs what ever sound the TV is getting. So when you are watching SD TV it will output DD2.0 or PCM. BUT you wont be watching SD TV anymore as you will be too busy watching 9 HD, 10HD 7 HD etc.. Most shows will output DD4.0 to your amp. Hope that helps.

Recently I've noticed that I have the issue with the optical audio output being slightly out of sync.

Anyone else who has had this problem, I understand it's just a firmware update? Also, was anyone's badly out of sync, because mine only appears to be very slight, maybe only a couple of frames out, but it's noticeable when watching TV, mainly when watching an HD broadcast.

How do you check the version of firmware currently installed?

Also, the techs have said they might have to take the TV away as they don't usually do on-site work... I hope they don't.

have you been able to fix your out of sync problem yet?

Edited by Guest

OK, another question. Are there any bravia owners out there who regret their purchase? If so why? Would you in hindsight have bought a different model?

Thanks

odds

nope definately no regrets here.

very happy with my purchase.

OK, another question. Are there any bravia owners out there who regret their purchase? If so why? Would you in hindsight have bought a different model?

Thanks

odds

buy it mate you need to watch hd sources with it but if you have avenues to do that you will probably leave your wife/husband/girlfriend/dog and run away to las vagas with it.

buy it mate you need to watch hd sources with it but if you have avenues to do that you will probably leave your wife/husband/girlfriend/dog and run away to las vagas with it.

it would be useless to my wife anyway if I left her. She has the technical knowlege of a shrew. My technical knowlege however is akin to that of my Dad. Not much but I can still learn if I can be bothered.

So the non HD input is unwatchable. She (who must be obeyed) (usually) watchs foxtel. IS it going to be unwatchable?

ta

odds

Yes the optical out supports DD5.1. I have it running into my amp. Dont get worried when you are watching HD TV and dont get a DD5.1 signal as only a few shows are broadcast in 5.1. Most are DD4.0 or 2.0 at best.

Hi Browneagle,

You are quite right. There is very little 5.1 out there.

I wrote to the SMH Guide asking them to indicate either 5.1 or SS (Surround Sound) in the Guide, but, they haven't even acknowledged the request!

I don't feel too badly. It only took them about a year to get them to action a similar request regarding HD!

Maybe a few requests to them could help!

Cheers

Bry

So the non HD input is unwatchable. She (who must be obeyed) (usually) watchs foxtel. IS it going to be unwatchable?

Picture quality from Foxtel isn't great, but I certainly wouldn't rate it as unwatchable. Ideally, for the best picture you need to get a SCART to Component + Audio (you can get one from JayCar for $39). Obviously, this is nowhere near an HD picture quality, but it's definately acceptable to watch.

Thanks

odds

Hi 'odds on',

I purchased the 52XBR on the GB. The HD PQ is as good as, if not better than, any LCD display I have seen anywhere.

Possible regret? Yes, I wish now that I had sheckled out for the 70XBR!

Cheers

Bry

Hi I'm a would be 46 X3100 owner as I have shopped around and believe I have got a good deal at $3950 inclusive of a 4 year warranty.

I would like to know from current owners whether or not they have Foxtel and how does it look through the Bravia in terms of Picture Quality.

Thanks.

Foxtel is watchable at normal viewing distances on the Sony 46in but it is not as good as FTA digital.

Depending on the channel it varies from VHS quality (ESPN/TCM) to poorly mastered DVD quality (Showtime/Movie 1).

To get maximum picture quality you need to use component video. Mine runs though a DVD recorder which de-interlaces it (outputs as progressive scan) which also improves the picture.

Edited by mddawson

Long story short... Originally I had sucess with running 1920x1080 VGA connection from my gaming PC into my 46" X Series Bravia TV, the display was fantastic using a Nvidia 6800 Ultra video card.

I then tried DVI-HDMI with an adapter cable, this was less than successful, at 1920x1080, the sides of the desktop were cut off, I was hoping for a pixel4pixel display via the digital cable... and it didn't look as sharp as the analog connection.

BUT, upon returning to the VGA connection I find that the TV now cannot display 1920x1080, it comes up with a error message. Can someone here let me know if you have had trouble with a 1920x1080 VGA connection to your Bravia?

Regards,

Michael.

Long story short... Originally I had sucess with running 1920x1080 VGA connection from my gaming PC into my 46" X Series Bravia TV, the display was fantastic using a Nvidia 6800 Ultra video card.

I then tried DVI-HDMI with an adapter cable, this was less than successful, at 1920x1080, the sides of the desktop were cut off, I was hoping for a pixel4pixel display via the digital cable... and it didn't look as sharp as the analog connection.

BUT, upon returning to the VGA connection I find that the TV now cannot display 1920x1080, it comes up with a error message. Can someone here let me know if you have had trouble with a 1920x1080 VGA connection to your Bravia?

Regards,

Michael.

Michael. The trick to getting DVI-HDMI working is to set the video card output to 50HZ (PAL) rather than 60Hz (NTSC). THen put your TV into 1:1 pixel mapping and you will have the best monitor you have ever scene. I have mine setup like this and get no overscan.

Hi All, just got my 46XBR delivered $3800.

I have my HTPC running through HDM1 @ 1080P and it looks great.

For those using PCs do you have any issues with the HDMI input not detecting the PC input when the TV has been switched off or you've changed to another input and then back??

I can't work this one out.

Thanks

Thanks

odds

:rolleyes: Hi Odds on, I have no regrets at all. I was originally looking at the 40' xbr, but my nephew talked me into the 46". I am glad I went to the bigger size. I use my LCD for PS3 Blu Ray, Austar and free to air and as my PC screen. Austar is okay picture wise, free to air also not bad. Blu Ray movies are just sensational. The PC picture and text is also very good, I guess when you finish watching Blu Ray and going to Austar or free to air it does look a bit inferior. No I have no regrets with the Bravia.

A little more to add on my HDMI issue.

I located the same issue on a US forum from an XBR4 User.

Here is what he wrote and it sounds the same... Anyone else seen this?

If I turn the computer on, then turn the TV on, I get no signal.

If I turn the TV on, then turn the computer on everything works great.

If I turn the tv on , then wake the computer up from sleep everythings works.

If i wake the computer up and turn the tv on - blank screen.

and by FAR the most annoying:

If I turn the TV off any time while the PC is on, the only way to get signal back is to reboot the PC.

I have also found the reconnecting the cable works as well rather than a reboot.

Please help, this is driving me insane!

I've had my 52in X series for about 2 weeks now and love it.....just wanted to ask other owners out there....I seem to remember seeing ages ago that the X & XBR have this illuminated colour effect which reflects through the glass surround....how do you switch this on or was it only a feature on other models?

Thanks

Hi.

I'm thinking about getting the 52" X3100. I've managed to negotiate the price down to $5400 (with only 12 months manufac warranty). Is this a good price?

Edited by thefatalrisk

I seem to remember seeing ages ago that the X & XBR have this illuminated colour effect which reflects through the glass surround....how do you switch this on or was it only a feature on other models?

That sounds like the Philips "Ambilight" LCD TVs - a concept I have seen first hand and would NEVER consider buying for myself. Ugh. Like having a nightlight permanently in your face when watching TV :lol:

The X/XBR Sonys do have their power and remote sensor LEDs visible "in" the "floating glass", using a prismatic refraction technique. The remote control IR sensor also works this way, as does the Sony logo.

A little more to add on my HDMI issue.

I located the same issue on a US forum from an XBR4 User.

Here is what he wrote and it sounds the same... Anyone else seen this?

Are you using a desktop or a laptop?

If it is a laptop, then it sounds to me that the laptop cannot detect any external display connected when you turn on the computer without turning on the Tv.

You can then try using the "CRT/LCD" toggle button on your laptop.

Are you using a desktop or a laptop?

If it is a laptop, then it sounds to me that the laptop cannot detect any external display connected when you turn on the computer without turning on the Tv.

You can then try using the "CRT/LCD" toggle button on your laptop.

Using a desktop Media Centre PC.

Running an ATI 2600 Pro and Windows Vista.