Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

I know what Wide Zoom does, I just don't get what useful purpose it serves. It really doesn't change the width at all (I was doing it on a freeze frame with easy edges), all it does is vertically stretch the image a little bit - pointless in the extreme. Normal Zoom does great for "cinemascope" junk.

From Wiki:

"Wide Zoom mode, also called Just mode, Horizon, or Smart Stretch, progressively stretches the picture horizontally, less in the middle and more on the edges. This allows normal aspect ratio video to be displayed across the entire width of the screen, with minimal cropping, and with much less of the unpleasing visual stretching effect of Full mode."

In the Sony Tv, it also zooms vertically abit so it can minimise the horizonal stretch.

It is used for filling a 4:3 source into 16:9.

Ok, I've looked and looked and looked but cannot find how to delete unwanted channels. Anyone care to give me a hint? :)

You can't, and you cant rearrange them either. The DVB card is crap.

Regards to the buzzing, the LCDs have some kinda fan in them - noticible at low volumes, especially when they start phasing which is likely to get worse as the TV ages...

Just picked up a 40 X last week but have noticed a slight humming sound coming from the TV's left hand side when it's

in use.

When I mute the sound I can hear it (we sit about 2.5m away, sounds like a electrical humming sound), obviously less noticable if I am watching something.

Just wondering if others have experienced this, and whether I should be returning this one for a replacement?

I have the humming too. I checked a friends and he has it but not as loud. I think it could be the fan, or just normal of electrical equipment. I have the 46" XBR, and NO clouding or flashlight problem

From Wiki:

"Wide Zoom mode, also called Just mode, Horizon, or Smart Stretch, progressively stretches the picture horizontally, less in the middle and more on the edges. This allows normal aspect ratio video to be displayed across the entire width of the screen, with minimal cropping, and with much less of the unpleasing visual stretching effect of Full mode."

In the Sony Tv, it also zooms vertically abit so it can minimise the horizonal stretch.

It is used for filling a 4:3 source into 16:9.

You're right, it makes standard 4:3 fill the screen but not look as squashed as normal. Doubt I'd ever use it over normal with black bars either side though. But thanks for explaining it.

I have a highly technical question:

Can the "Full HD 1080" gold/black sticker in RH bottom corner be safely removed without leaving marks or peeling off paint ? Has anybody done this?

Joe

Can the "Full HD 1080" gold/black sticker in RH bottom corner be safely removed without leaving marks or peeling off paint ? Has anybody done this?

Joe

I've noticed that if you do you will just get flat, no holes corner. If you look closely it will be noticeable with the sticker on.

Edited by picture.perfect

Joe

Sticker is exactly the same as the other sticker that was on there and comes off no problems at all!

I've noticed that if you do you will just get flat, no holes corner. If you look closely it will be noticeable with the sticker on.

What size screen is that on??

My 52" had holes under it,the stickers are made to be removed,that's why they have a little triangular shaped tab on them.

If I plug my PS3 into a HDMI port in, and then plug my XBOX 360 in via the Component plugs - Can I send the audio from both sources from the TV to the receiver via one cord?

The reason for this is I have a pretty small place so was looking at the Sony DAVIS10 setup (Tiny speakers but dont need big ones). However the receiver only has 1 in line for sound.

Hi all,

Picked up a 46" X on Saturday and set it all up. From a distance all looks well and up close no ghosting or pixel problems. However when sitting up very close , not that you would ever do, if you bring up the info button for the digital channel I can see a bit of ghosting on the info text. For those with a PS3 (via HDMI) on the XMB menu I can notice a bit of red colour ghosting (minimal) on the white text with black backround. Is it just me or is anyon else also a bit paranoid.

Edited by thewizzrd

Hi guys looking at buying the 52"x3100 sony are they made in japan or else where? also those who have the 52"models does it tell you on the back what date it was made if so can you post,also have you had any problems with them runing a media centre,ps3 or xbox360 :rolleyes:

thanks

My wife just made me buy a 46" X series Bravia, I wanted the 40" but she insisted we up-size!

It got delivered last night, when she came home she didn't even notice that I had unpacked the box and was watching it! She explained that because I was watching the "How To" channel on Austar, she didn't take any more notice! ;) If the Food Channel was on then she might have stopped and taken a second look. It's a little bigger than my old Mitsubishi 29" 4:3 set.

My only HD source at the moment is a Zensonic Z500 and a handful of HD .WMV files. Boy is it an impressive screen! I have a 1080p DRM free version of "Over The Hedge" in .WMV, almost as good as the BD demo in the store!

I'm going to transplant my upscaling Samsung DVD player from the home theatre into the lounge room to use with it. Probably going to get an Oppo player for the HT, and maybe a Toshiba HD-DVD.

Michael.

My wife just made me buy a 46" X series Bravia, I wanted the 40" but she insisted we up-size!

It got delivered last night, when she came home she didn't even notice that I had unpacked the box and was watching it! She explained that because I was watching the "How To" channel on Austar, she didn't take any more notice! ;) If the Food Channel was on then she might have stopped and taken a second look. It's a little bigger than my old Mitsubishi 29" 4:3 set.

My only HD source at the moment is a Zensonic Z500 and a handful of HD .WMV files. Boy is it an impressive screen! I have a 1080p DRM free version of "Over The Hedge" in .WMV, almost as good as the BD demo in the store!

I'm going to transplant my upscaling Samsung DVD player from the home theatre into the lounge room to use with it. Probably going to get an Oppo player for the HT, and maybe a Toshiba HD-DVD.

Michael.

Sounds like she really put a gun to your head.

Michael.

Yeah same here,I was going to get the 46" and my wife said the 52" would be better.

I'm selling an Oppo player if you're interested,it's still under warranty.

Just picked up a 40 X last week but have noticed a slight humming sound coming from the TV's left hand side when it's

in use.

When I mute the sound I can hear it (we sit about 2.5m away, sounds like a electrical humming sound), obviously less noticable if I am watching something.

Just wondering if others have experienced this, and whether I should be returning this one for a replacement?

i noticed that too..

Dont think its a concern.. just normal electrical component working and just being a little noisy

I think so anyways..

So is there a link somewhere for calibrations for 46inch X series lcd screen?

I have gone thru few threads.. plenty of other models etc and other screen sizes..

Or am i just blind?

cheers

i noticed that too..

Dont think its a concern.. just normal electrical component working and just being a little noisy

I think so anyways..

It's the fan. This is also mentioned in the manual.

So is there a link somewhere for calibrations for 46inch X series lcd screen?

I have gone thru few threads.. plenty of other models etc and other screen sizes..

Or am i just blind?

cheers

Here is the thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=54940

I will be posting my settings later.

I'm still in the process of calibration.

I've used the calibration dvd and I'm now just fine tuning.

hi just hoping someone can help me.

I purchased a sony bravia KLV40V300 tv 3 months ago and to be honest I am having picture problems. I seem to get issues mainly on dark colours and occasionally in white,(small squares and shadows) I run through foxtel digital My question is can anyone help me in trying to fix this as it is very annoying whilst watching movies before I go and ask someone out to loook at it

cheers

Andy

has anyone got Teletext to work??

Not sure how to enable it?

Does digital FTA have Teletext?

thanks

Good question. I can't get it to work either. Maybe it does'nt work as digital.

Needs to be on Seven (70 etc)

Here is the thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=54940

I will be posting my settings later.

I'm still in the process of calibration.

I've used the calibration dvd and I'm now just fine tuning.

cheers for that.. will look at the link now!!

you have a calibration dvd?? i never got one :(

whered you get yours from?

cheers

in use.

yes i certainly have the same humming noise and it comes from the rear of the screen in the top left.i usually have the sound up pretty loud so it has not bothered me very much... yet... i would be interested to hear how you go if you do anything about it

Have any X / XBR series owners tested out PS3 gaming on their new units? I'm keen to know what people's experiences are with the new 100HZ 'Fast Motion' the Bravia's are boasting about...

Ta.