Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi Guys,

You wouldnt believe this.

the kids are watching Nickelodeon on Foxtel and my son sees a bug crawling across the screen. the wife and daughters dismiss it as they cant see it,and thinking its a fly on the outside of the screen.

Then about 30 min later, my wife yells out! Come here!!!

There's a bug! Im thinking that they just want me to catch it!

So i stroll into the lounge room, and my wife and daughter are right up to the screen pointing out the silhouette of a bug crwaling on the inside of the screen!!!!!

Well im not impressed at all, as i hate insects inside the house, let alone inside my SONY SXRD!!!!!

So what to i do? i want to extract the little bugger now!!!

Hi Guys,

the kids are watching Nickelodeon on Foxtel and my son sees a bug crawling across the screen. the wife and daughters dismiss it as they cant see it,and thinking its a fly on the outside of the screen.

Then about 30 min later, my wife yells out! Come here!!!

There's a bug! Im thinking that they just want me to catch it!

So i stroll into the lounge room, and my wife and daughter are right up to the screen pointing out the silhouette of a bug crwaling on the inside of the screen!!!!!

Well im not impressed at all, as i hate insects inside the house, let alone inside my SONY SXRD!!!!!

So what to i do? i want to extract the little bugger now!!!

well you got two choices LOL

1. get out the screw driver and pull the thing apart, by the time you do all this point two will happen

2. wait for it to die, bugs dont last very long

well you got two choices LOL

1. get out the screw driver and pull the thing apart, by the time you do all this point two will happen

2. wait for it to die, bugs dont last very long

I know, its crazy isnt it!

I've never seen a bug inside any of my TVs before!

I have another reason to open it up; i have some dust on one of the LCD lenses which is creating a faint blurr on one part of the screen.

Is there a 'How to crack open your SXRD anywhere'?

Ive seen the how to replace the lamp but accessing the LENS is a different ball game i think?

Well i think im going to have a crack at removing this bug and some dust on the lens!

Not to bad since ive had this 60: SXRD since Feb 24 2007!

I stumbled upon this guide on the AVS Forums http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....28#post17464028

showing how to access the optical block.

Im hoping that the dust is only on the lens, so i dont have to remove the Optical Block.

Well here goes!

hey guys... so i'm upgrading my 60" SXRD to a 65" Series 8 Samsung... just wondering if anyone knows a good place to advertise the SXRD for sale? I see this forum doesn't have a for sale section, but surely theres somewhere good around that isn't ebay? lol

anyone got a clue what i might get for it?

cheers

With the weather as it is in Sydney hot and humid if you leave the so called "BUG" to die on its own it really depends where he dies! if at the bottom of the display great if across a circuit board not so great good luck

cheers laurie

I went to start last night and i couldnt see the blurry spot on the screen, so i left it , and whilst watching some TV last night, the TV shut down and booted back up!

Could have been that bug fried to heaven!

Hi geoffw,

The link you posted is XL-5100 .... but in the manual it says to use XL-5300 ..... is that going to be a problem?

Is it better to buy the whole thing with casing?

just look on the website for the 5300 then, my sxrd says 5100

its probably the same bulb anyway, its easier to buy the whole casing of course, but its going to cost you $500 opposed to $100

up to you

just look on the website for the 5300 then, my sxrd says 5100

its probably the same bulb anyway, its easier to buy the whole casing of course, but its going to cost you $500 opposed to $100

up to you

No, the bulbs have diifferent power ratings:

Australian released SXRD RPTV's:

70" SXRD replacement bulb is specified as XL5300 (a 180W bulb)

60" SXRD replacment bulb is specified as XL5100 (a 120W bulb)

(As per Sony Australia website.)

You should be able to get a lamp in a housing for much less than AU$500. Mail order from overseas is quick these days. And if you pay through PayPal you are fairly well protected.

Edited by MLXXX

Hi Guys,

There's a bug!

I would, I've had a couple of bugs.

First time I wasn't home, wife watched a spider go across the screen.

Second time a bug just sat in one spot casting it's shadow. At first I thought it was on the outside till I went to squish it.

Really annoying as I had to keep watching with this little bugger sitting in one spot. Couple of hours later he just started moving.

It was like watching a horse race except I was yelling for the bug to keep going so he would get right out of view! lol

He cleared off and nothing on my screen for a long time now.

I'd just leave any bugs personally. There are likely plenty of small bugs which get into TV's but unless you have a rear pro you never notice it.

I remember reading somewhere how many bugs the average human consumes during their sleep over the course of a lifetime.

Can't recall the exact figures but makes you consider going to sleep with a facemask on!

Bugs are a fact of life on planet Earth and we just have to learn to live "peacefully" with them. lol

I know this is an old thread, but seemed maybe the best place to post.

Can I get an antenna signal out of a KDL46X3100? They have a little loop cable on the back, either side of the antenna input, anyone know what that's for?

I have just installed my first HTPC (thanks dJOS, an awesome machine), and don't have a lot of experience with operating that yet. I'd rather not use a splitter if I can avoid it.

•Digital Now PCIe S2 Dual Hybrid TV Tuner Card (2x Digital Tuners + FM Radio & Analogue TV support) - just appears to have antenna (DTV), and Analogue/FM inputs.

The KDL46X3100 has a digital & analogue tuner so I think the coax cable loop you're referring to is to supply a signal to the analogue tuner.

Guest Whip Cracker
I have a KDL 55EX500 and a Toshiba laptop. I tried to use the TV as a second display for the laptop using a VGA/SVGA cable. However, the TV seems not detecting the connection (PC connection is grey out, not selectable from the menu). I have tried setting different resolution available in the PC as suggested somewhere on the net but not successful. If anybody know this issue, please help me. Thanks a lot.

I had this same problem too... I have the KDL-40EX600 and had the same issue connecting my Toshiba laptop to VGA to the TV. The TV's inputs will only become active when it senses a connection. The Toshy laptop was able to pick up the 2nd "monitor input" but the Sony wouldn't see it.

In the display options there is an area to change the settings of the inputs. There was an option for "Auto" or "Always" or something like that. Anyway, I set the PC input to "Always" and now the connection's active all the time. I hit the normal Ctrl + F5 on the laptop and configured the laptop to only use Monitor 2 when swapping between monitors. I now get 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz and it looks great.

Got a HDMI cable on order from EZYHD (after reading all the great feedback) and will be using the HDMI cable on the laptop now :P

Hi all - so I've had a 40X3100 for 3 years now, it has served me very well. I remember spending countless hours on DTV Forum back then, seeking a good price!

Well it's time to move on I think, I'd like to upgrade to a bigger screen. How much do you think my set is worth nowadays, and what would be your recommendation on how to sell it? It still has 2 years of warranty on it, so hopefully that is a plus.

I ask as I've not sold a TV for quite some time, the last one being a CRT in the local trading post - times have probably changed since then. Would appreciate any advice!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys just noticed my KDL 46X3100 standby light flashing at me when I hit the power button on the remote. This is the second time this has happened to me over the last 2 days, didn't much attention to it the first time. If I press the power button on the remote while the light is flashing the tv just powers up like normal. I guess I should count the amount of flashes it gives me.

Does anyone know what the flashes mean? Like 2 or 3 flashes standee for??

Thanks

Zoidy

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys just noticed my KDL 46X3100 standby light flashing at me when I hit the power button on the remote. This is the second time this has happened to me over the last 2 days, didn't much attention to it the first time. If I press the power button on the remote while the light is flashing the tv just powers up like normal. I guess I should count the amount of flashes it gives me.

Does anyone know what the flashes mean? Like 2 or 3 flashes standee for??

Thanks

Zoidy

Hi Dr.Z,

Here's a link that decyphers the blinking codes:

What do the Sony Television Blinking Codes mean?

AUSTRALIAN KDL BLINK CODES

2 times – Main power supply voltage error (12V, etc)

3 times – Malfunction of 3.3V line

4 times – Malfunction of 5V line (Voltage Supply to FE, etc)

5 times – Malfunction of power supply for screen

6 times – Malfunction of inverter or overcurrent, etc

7 times – Abnormal temperature inside unit

8 times – Audio circuit error (amplifier, etc.)

9 times – Fan malfunction

10 times – Digital FE circuit error

11 times – Malfunction of Trident IC or around IC

12 times – BH board error

13 times – Malfunction of balancer

(Codes posted by Agoraquest forum member babyaservice)

Hi Dr.Z,

Here's a link that decyphers the blinking codes:

What do the Sony Television Blinking Codes mean?

AUSTRALIAN KDL BLINK CODES

2 times – Main power supply voltage error (12V, etc)

3 times – Malfunction of 3.3V line

4 times – Malfunction of 5V line (Voltage Supply to FE, etc)

5 times – Malfunction of power supply for screen

6 times – Malfunction of inverter or overcurrent, etc

7 times – Abnormal temperature inside unit

8 times – Audio circuit error (amplifier, etc.)

9 times – Fan malfunction

10 times – Digital FE circuit error

11 times – Malfunction of Trident IC or around IC

12 times – BH board error

13 times – Malfunction of balancer

(Codes posted by Agoraquest forum member babyaservice)

Every new model that is released has different set of blink code meanings, the above list is only relevant to the particular chassis that the set was designed for.

Sony Bravia KDL-40V4000

I've searched and searched :unsure:

but can't find any recommendations for calibrating the 46V, 40v or 32v

Can anyone point me in the right direction for calibrating this TV ?

Here's a few links to get you started:

AVForums - KDL 40V4000 Settings

AVForums - Sony KDL40V4000 - Calibration Settings

AVS Forum - Display Calibration

Blu-ray.com - Calibrate Your HDTV