Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I'm trying to get into the service menu to adjust the iris settings, but whenever I follow the directions in this thread(off at remote then press quickly,i+,5,vol+and then on with remote) all I ever get is something called the TVM Sevice menu with subheadings labelled Digital, TV, WE,DE and DTAU.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the right menu -if so, where do I find the correct subheading.?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

You are almost there. Press the key under 9 on the remote control, to cycle across to the Panel Menu.

Hi Everyone, I have been a longtime veiwer and now I have signed on as a member. Firstly I want to say what a great forum this is, and how much it has helped me reach my goal of near perfection veiwing.

I now have just about the perfect set up, Sony Playstation and the new Sony 46XBR LCD. It truly is an amazing feeling watching BluRay movies on the Sony. I did oriiginaly have a Samsung 32 LCD with my PS3. The Sony makes it so much better. I bought it last week from my local Harvey Norman for $4100 with an extra 2 year warranty. Motion flow is amazing on this TV. Thank you to everyone for your posts and also your settings. Greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work!!!

hey,

i thought i would join the club.

i am picking up the 46x3100 tomorrow.

cant wait for some hd gaming.

its like xmas cant sleep too excited.

got it for $3600.

is that a good price for it?

ive read through this thread and itseems there are no major problems with this model.

hey,

i thought i would join the club.

i am picking up the 46x3100 tomorrow.

cant wait for some hd gaming.

its like xmas cant sleep too excited.

got it for $3600.

is that a good price for it?

ive read through this thread and itseems there are no major problems with this model.

$3600???? May I ask where you made your purchase from????

What is the best prices for a 46X in Melbourne guys ?

from an electrical store in melbourne.

i will post pics when i get it home.

its a couple of hours drive to where i gotta pick it up from.

should be home just after 1pm.

Edited by Guest

Hi all, picked up my new Sony 52in X series last week for what I thought was a great price - $5900 (RRP $7499) only to read this week that the RRP has dropped to $6499.....i just hate that cause i'm sure at the current new RRP price I could have got them down even cheaper :(

BUT in saying all that, I love this screen....couldn't be happier.....got a PS3 at the same time but still haven't got round to watching anything on BD yet.....tried the upscaling through the PS3 and was very very impressed, I was thinking i'd have to buy the same DVD's again in BD but this won't be nescecary as the upscaled PQ is great.

I've played around with the picture settings cause the stock setup was not flash, so its looking very nice now.....is there a link to the best calibration method someone could post up plz so I can fine tune it even more?

EDIT. Found it...don't worry.

Edited by BXT

Hey all,

Picked up my new 52 x series last week and it is spot on. sd tv reception is ordinary at best but we recieve all the hd didgital channels and these are crytal clear and sports ( of which i am a massive fan) are great despite all the "lcd is no good for sports" dooms dayers. Even if it is better on plasma, i can t see it with my eyes anyway so to me this is no reason not to choose lcd. (or at least this tv). blu ray was also magic at the store but am not going to fork out a grand for a player just yet so I have an older onkyo dvd player with which to watch dvd s at the moment and find that the clarity is not close to that of the hd tv which i think i expected. I figure this tv needs to have a signal close to 1080 to shine. Does anyone know if the tv does its own upscaling through components connections or do i have to get an upscaling dvd or just buy a blu ray player? Maybe I have to configure the tv to upscale on video 2 but if that s the case i cant work out how.

P.S as plenty of people have said before the factory settings need to be tweaked a bit to get the big girl showing the best picture quality so don t get scared when you first get it out of the box. I have used settings closer to the vivid settings than most others as i find that the other setting too dark as i have a fairly light room wih lots of windows. During the night i just turn down the backlight a bit more. That said the vivid setting s on their own are just way to nasty and they won t let you manipulate some of the advanced settings when vivid is set. They definately have to be toned down.

If i can just get sd dvd s playing clearly i will be stoked. I anyone is still onsiderinng this tv, i would just say go and get it.

Does anyone know if the tv does its own upscaling through components connections or do i have to get an upscaling dvd or just buy a blu ray player? Maybe I have to configure the tv to upscale on video 2 but if that s the case i cant work out how.

The display will upscale any input, its native resolution is 1920x1080, any source has to be displayed at this resolution. Having said that it upscales SD sources very poorly. If you can get an upscaling DVD player it will look at lot better then a DVD player upscaled by the display. By poorly I mean it struggles to deinterlace SD sources. You'll notice when watching fast motion especially sport that when there is camera cuts you can see a frame of interlace artifacts.

Picked up a KDL-40X3100 from Dick Smith Powerhouse (Chatswood) today for $2900. They were prepared to do it for $3000 including installation.

What a pity it has to sit in the box until the move to Orange next year! :(

Thanks to all in the DTV forum for all their input - it certainly helped make the TV choice much easier.

Picked up a KDL-40X3100 from Dick Smith Powerhouse (Chatswood) today for $2900. They were prepared to do it for $3000 including installation.

What a pity it has to sit in the box until the move to Orange next year! :(

Thanks to all in the DTV forum for all their input - it certainly helped make the TV choice much easier.

awesome! i'm getting this set too. did you get the added warranty with it?

The display will upscale any input, its native resolution is 1920x1080, any source has to be displayed at this resolution. Having said that it upscales SD sources very poorly. If you can get an upscaling DVD player it will look at lot better then a DVD player upscaled by the display. By poorly I mean it struggles to deinterlace SD sources. You'll notice when watching fast motion especially sport that when there is camera cuts you can see a frame of interlace artifacts.

Thanks mate i thought that might be the case.

just got home with tv.

ended up staying in melbourne for lunch.

cbf setting tv up now.

will do tomorrow or tuesday.

will post pics for sure.

Hey browny, can you please give me the details of your purchase?

Need to filfull my curiosity, Im anticipated getting the pricing details from you

Recently I've noticed that I have the issue with the optical audio output being slightly out of sync.

Anyone else who has had this problem, I understand it's just a firmware update? Also, was anyone's badly out of sync, because mine only appears to be very slight, maybe only a couple of frames out, but it's noticeable when watching TV, mainly when watching an HD broadcast.

How do you check the version of firmware currently installed?

Also, the techs have said they might have to take the TV away as they don't usually do on-site work... I hope they don't.

Recently I've noticed that I have the issue with the optical audio output being slightly out of sync.

Anyone else who has had this problem, I understand it's just a firmware update? Also, was anyone's badly out of sync, because mine only appears to be very slight, maybe only a couple of frames out, but it's noticeable when watching TV, mainly when watching an HD broadcast.

How do you check the version of firmware currently installed?

Also, the techs have said they might have to take the TV away as they don't usually do on-site work... I hope they don't.

I have exact the same problem and the tech couldn't fix it. (Post #100 of this thread)

You have the latest firmware if you see a red dot sticker near your serial number on the back of TV.

I have exact the same problem and the tech couldn't fix it. (Post #100 of this thread)

You have the latest firmware if you see a red dot sticker near your serial number on the back of TV.

I have a sticker, but it's not exactly red. Looks more a purple or maroon colour.

Whats the competition to the KDL46X3100? Is there any? Or does Sony have the best 46" on the market?

im not sure.

is sony the only one that makes a 46" lcd tv?