Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi everyone well i ended up buying the sony 52x3100 lcd just finished setting it up no dead or stuck pixels which is really good,ps3 bluray is fantasic,xbox360 with hd addon Awsome,media centre few problems first time using hdmi cable for media centre from ati 2600xt card how do you get a full screen i get a screen with black border around it states that its running at 1920*1080 60hz but dont know how or what settings to use have include picture of my setup

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/pod...01112007174.jpg

Try switching the ATI Catalyst driver to 50hz by double clicking your ATI icon in your system tray and selecting Displays Manager the selecting 50Hz as the refresh Rate, at 60hz the TV seems to underscan, have not investigated as to why but know that switching it to 50Hz at 1080 X 1920 provides a full screen, if not then ensure that the Display Area is set to Full Pixel within the screen menu on your Bravia.

Dave

Hi everyone well i ended up buying the sony 52x3100 lcd just finished setting it up no dead or stuck pixels which is really good,ps3 bluray is fantasic,xbox360 with hd addon Awsome,media centre few problems first time using hdmi cable for media centre from ati 2600xt card how do you get a full screen i get a screen with black border around it states that its running at 1920*1080 60hz but dont know how or what settings to use have include picture of my setup

Go into the menu and select settings- screen-display area - select -2

Guest johnny_melb

what's the gaming like for you with the ps3 and xbox? Any noticeable issues?

what's the gaming like for you with the ps3 and xbox? Any noticeable issues?

Gaming is awesome had no problems just about to load halo 3 up on it to see what it looks like,very happy with the tv "watched APOCALYPTO on blu-ray last night the picture quality blew me away it was so sharp and clear.......

:rolleyes:

Are you sure its not the cooling fan? Mines has a faint fan noise and the manual states that it has one. Mine can only be heard in a completely quiet room.

With the buzzing noise (I have 46") it seems to be a light/electrical sound. I f anyone could check their 46" and see if its similar.

test - 1.Put ear close to top of rear of screen with it switched off (Just below the top vents on the rear right hand side of back)

2. Switch on Tv, but hit mute button and listen

3. See what you notice. For me as soon as the picture comes on, a buzzing sound is heard. A few seconds later you can hear the fan power up

This suggests that maybe the buzzing noise isnt the fan,. Is it normal, or a fault as none of my other LCD's have ever done this. If you guys would take the time to check I would be greatful (As Im sure others would too)

Edited by frozenblaze

Guest bakemono

For Bravia owners, could you confirm that fast channel switching is a no go? Can you tell how long does it take for switching the channel? If it's really slow, is there a round about way to fix this like with an external hd tuner or something?

Much thanks.

:unsure:

Guest PhilipM

Hi all, I got one of these beauties yesterday (46x)

Almost completely satisfied with it, love the 1080p through component for the 360, dvd's even at 576p (also through 360) are astonishing how much extra detail there is compared to a standard tv.... motion flow thing does a pretty good job at smoothing pic.... but is there anyway to delete unwanted digital channels? the waste of space duplicate 7, 9 & 10 etc

Also has anyone have a pic lag when compared to external decoded audio, by about 10ms? my foxtel fed digitally through the amp is a fraction before the audio fed through component into the tv

Phil

Guest PhilipM

Cheers, I have set the favourites up, its workable but still a few too many un-necessary button presses!!

Now only the lip sync problem remains!

Cheers, I have set the favourites up, its workable but still a few too many un-necessary button presses!!

Now only the lip sync problem remains!

Lip sync problem with TV speakers or external sound system?

My TV speakers are fine but when i change digital TV channels I have lip sync with my HT system that connects to the optical output. Sony service man came but could do nothing, because the firmware is already the latest (you can find it out if there is a red-dot sticker on the back, near the serial number sticker). So the guys reckons the problem is caused by the weak signal from Antenna - the ultimate guilty part when they cannot fix the problems. Though the guy says he will check with Sony.

It's really not a problem for me, as the lip sync only occurs after I switch channels. If I really want to hear 5.1 sound from the HT system I can turn on the HT after I switch TV channels...Sounds complicated but it works.

Guest PhilipM

Mine is a little different - Im not using the optical out of the TV into the HT - am out of opticals on the HT amp!

I have my foxtel picture and stereo audio via component/rca into the TV, and the audio out of the foxtel box via optical to the HT amp. The problem is the audio out of the HT is ahead of the picture/audio on the tv - I noticed when playing MTV and had the audio coming out of both tv and ht amp.

Similar problem with my original xbox when streaming content off the PC using XBMC (this time through s-video) - but I can adjust the audio delay with the XBMC to compensate.

I havent noticed it yet playing DVD's through the XBOX360, which also has the same component / optical setup as my foxtel - but because the delay is so small maybe I just havent noticed yet.

I read lip sync issues are common nowdays (especailly in projectors) due to the amount of processing required for pic is much larger than for audio and that some high end HT amps let you adjust the audio stream delay to compensate - or there are external devices you can buy to do the same.

Interested if anyone has had similar experience?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 52X3100 and have pretty much finished up calibration for a variety of sources ie ps3,pvr, digital tv etc but was wondering about the use of the DRC 2.5 circuitry and the TV's ability to upscale to 1080p. Does anyone actually use this feature as from the calibration threads it seems that most people tend to leave it off. I was wondering as to why people don't use this feature? Shouldn't it improve picture quality for 1080i and 720p sources? So if anyone is using the DRC function it would be greatly appreciated if you could post your DRC settings.

Cheers

Edited by merseysider

I have the 52XBR and also have the lip sync issues. TV speakers are fine but the optical out is slightly behind when running through the HT amp.

The technician came out today and applied the update, but said it already had it, so made no difference. He also said that the update was to align the TV speakers to the picture and not really the optical output.

He suggested that it was the processing of the sound in the HT amp that was delaying the sound. I suppose that this is a possibility but I thought that the HT processing only really slowed down the picture and not the sound. I have a lip sync delay function in the amp but it is set to 0ms already so I cannot make it any more aligned than it is.

Any suggestions or comments on whether it is likely to be the HT amp. It is a Yamaha 3800.

Cheers,

Ross.

Edit added..... I just realised that I also have the analogue outs from the TV plugged into the HT amp. If I listen to sound through them there is no delay. Delay is only through the Optical out.....

Edited by dumbo3200

I'm going to be buying a 40" LCD, looked at the W series and really liked what i saw, got quoted $2650 which is about my limit with my budget. Any other 40" W series owners out there for some feedback?...is that a good price too?

That's a pretty good price for the W. You'll be more than happy with it. Picture quality is just fantastic and while you do miss out on Motionflow, you can live without it. Do note though that the sound quality on the W is pretty average when compared to the richness of the X series. Make sure you do some calibration on the settings. Out-of-the-box settings are pretty average, but with some calibration it really comes alive! You will love this TV. Good luck.

Andy.

For Bravia owners, could you confirm that fast channel switching is a no go? Can you tell how long does it take for switching the channel? If it's really slow, is there a round about way to fix this like with an external hd tuner or something?

Much thanks.

:unsure:

Hi bakemono,

I have a 52XBR and its channel changing is painfully slow, but, I find the results worth the wait!

All the 2007 BRAVIAs I have seen are the same in this regard.

I don't know of a fix, but, suspect the problem is intrinsic to the tuner design.

Some tuners from other HDTV manufacturers are faster, but, occasionally leave you with a pixelated picture!

External tuners (PVRs), connected via HDMI, sometimes leave you with a lip sync problem, which the internal tuner does not.

Cheers

Bry

Yeah same here,I was going to get the 46" and my wife said the 52" would be better.

Same here as well. Asking for an extra 6 inches on top of what you're already giving is not something you're normally happy to hear :D

Phil, I had the same issue with the channels. No can do. The best way around it is to set up your favorites lists (there are 2 of them) in the end thats all you will use anyway as it works out quicker to change channels that way because the dam thing is so slow between each one.

Just remember, come December you'll probably want those extra channels what with some dedicated HD content coming our way.

Edited by Goomf

I'm trying to get into the service menu to adjust the iris settings, but whenever I follow the directions in this thread(off at remote then press quickly,i+,5,vol+and then on with remote) all I ever get is something called the TVM Sevice menu with subheadings labelled Digital, TV, WE,DE and DTAU.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the right menu -if so, where do I find the correct subheading.?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Browneagle
I got the 46 XBR after originally wanting just the 40. After it was set up the financial controller said we should have gotten the 52 :(

On another note has entone noticed the picture actually getting clearer after several hours of use? The pic was sensational to begin with but mine is starting to look almost 3d at times. Do these things run in so to speak?

The 3D effects comes from having Cinemotion on Auto 1 and Motionflow on High. If you turn these to Auto 2 and Standard it will loose its 3D effect. Also turning off Edge Enhancer and Details enhancer will help get rid of the 3D effect.