Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Just picked up a 40 X last week but have noticed a slight humming sound coming from the TV's left hand side when it's

in use.

When I mute the sound I can hear it (we sit about 2.5m away, sounds like a electrical humming sound), obviously less noticable if I am watching something.

Just wondering if others have experienced this, and whether I should be returning this one for a replacement?

I know what Wide Zoom does, I just don't get what useful purpose it serves. It really doesn't change the width at all (I was doing it on a freeze frame with easy edges), all it does is vertically stretch the image a little bit - pointless in the extreme. Normal Zoom does great for "cinemascope" junk.

From Wiki:

"Wide Zoom mode, also called Just mode, Horizon, or Smart Stretch, progressively stretches the picture horizontally, less in the middle and more on the edges. This allows normal aspect ratio video to be displayed across the entire width of the screen, with minimal cropping, and with much less of the unpleasing visual stretching effect of Full mode."

In the Sony Tv, it also zooms vertically abit so it can minimise the horizonal stretch.

It is used for filling a 4:3 source into 16:9.

Ok, I've looked and looked and looked but cannot find how to delete unwanted channels. Anyone care to give me a hint? :)

You can't, and you cant rearrange them either. The DVB card is crap.

Regards to the buzzing, the LCDs have some kinda fan in them - noticible at low volumes, especially when they start phasing which is likely to get worse as the TV ages...

Just picked up a 40 X last week but have noticed a slight humming sound coming from the TV's left hand side when it's

in use.

When I mute the sound I can hear it (we sit about 2.5m away, sounds like a electrical humming sound), obviously less noticable if I am watching something.

Just wondering if others have experienced this, and whether I should be returning this one for a replacement?

I have the humming too. I checked a friends and he has it but not as loud. I think it could be the fan, or just normal of electrical equipment. I have the 46" XBR, and NO clouding or flashlight problem

I have mentioned elsewhere that I’m attempting some setup calibration between a video processor and our SXRD 60.

According to the SXRD user manual, the display will accept 1080p video input via HDMI.

I am not having spectacular results so I’m asking for opinions.

I have connected our DVD player (560i) to the processor via component and output 1080p via HDMI to the SXRD, but only get a picture of about the same quality (to my eyes) as when the player is connected via component to the A/V receiver and then to the SXRD via component. Of course, apart from basic settings, I’m no expert at tweaking the myriads of adjustments within the processor so there could be room for much improvement.

Has anyone connected a video processor (outputting 1080p via HDMI) to the SXRD and got worthwhile results with various SD sources such as composite, S-Video, or component?

Do any of you have an HD DVD player (1080p output) to the SXRD and obtain a full 1080p picture using HD discs? How do SD discs come out via an HD DVD player? - do you allow the player to upscale or upconvert before the SXRD's scaling?

Has anybody compared a standard DVD player input with an HD DVD player which upscales standard DVDs to the SXRD?

Your observations will be most appreciated.

I use my Toshiba XA2, PS3 and HTPC all in 1080p mode via HDMI, They all work like a charm and look brilliant. The only time I'd use SD would be via HTPC or DTV. That way if say I've got DVD source I can do the upscaling in the HTPC and also post process it to wring a bit more out the source. The HD-DVD player or PS3 will simply upscale to 1080p or whatever the maximum res you've set in the setup menu.

What processor are you using? You'll be adding a layer complexity to the chain by using one. There is a lot of scope for adjustment in them by nature.

As OzHTfan states feeding your SXRD with a 1080 feed via hdmi either at 1080i or 1080p results in a stunning picture.The REON chip in both my HD DVD and BD also give gobsmacking results on SD DVD's.In fact I'm running lots of my old dvd's that I thought that I would not watch again, the results are that good.It sounds like something is not working somewhere!

I use my Toshiba XA2, PS3 and HTPC all in 1080p mode via HDMI, They all work like a charm and look brilliant. The only time I'd use SD would be via HTPC or DTV. That way if say I've got DVD source I can do the upscaling in the HTPC and also post process it to wring a bit more out the source. The HD-DVD player or PS3 will simply upscale to 1080p or whatever the maximum res you've set in the setup menu.

What processor are you using? You'll be adding a layer complexity to the chain by using one. There is a lot of scope for adjustment in them by nature.

Thanks OzHTfan. Using a DVDO VP30; purchased about 18 months ago, intending to set it up with our previous Sony 3LCD RP. But it was incompatible as the 3LCD wouldn't accept its native resolution and it's internal scaling kept on overriding the VP30. That was about the time the VP30 was considered the holy grail for all types of displays. Some people (like me) found out the limitations the hard way.

I was never inclined to bother with setting it up with the SXRD until I did an inventory of our idle gear recently. I recalled our Australian SXRD was able to accept 1080p sources via HDMI (The previous U.S. XBR1 could not accept 1080p) so I though I'd give it a go; particularly since recent VP30 software upgrades have added 1080p pass through.

But I'm going to have to do a lot more reading and output setup adjustments to get a better result.

As OzHTfan states feeding your SXRD with a 1080 feed via hdmi either at 1080i or 1080p results in a stunning picture.The REON chip in both my HD DVD and BD also give gobsmacking results on SD DVD's.In fact I'm running lots of my old dvd's that I thought that I would not watch again, the results are that good.It sounds like something is not working somewhere!

Thanks john h for your comments also.

Words such as "brilliant", "stunning", "gobsmacking" make me very envious and aware that "something is not working somewhere".

To you both, I've rechecked everything and adjusted the display, prior to setting VP30 picture controls (using DVE and the VP30 internal test patterns).

I had previously observed the VP30 picture was much smoother (film like) without any judder and less visible noise. But there is still only marginal improvement in sharpness and crispness of picture. I realize some noise can create the impression of sharp edges but my eyes accept it as an overall benefit. I don’t emphasize it in the SXRD picture menu.

I can only select 1080p 60 output (not 1080p 50) but I haven't tried frame rate conversion as yet (a bit timid). What output do you use? and have you had to adjust frame rates at all?

One of our favourite DVDs for PQ is Lord Of The Rings III - which to me is "gobsmacking" even via our player, A/V, SXRD component setup. The player is the Yamaha DVD-CX1 which was reviewed as having one of the best PQs available at the time.

Maybe I'm expecting too much? Perhaps FULL HD displays with adequate internal scaling should be enough for me.

Any ideas?

From Wiki:

"Wide Zoom mode, also called Just mode, Horizon, or Smart Stretch, progressively stretches the picture horizontally, less in the middle and more on the edges. This allows normal aspect ratio video to be displayed across the entire width of the screen, with minimal cropping, and with much less of the unpleasing visual stretching effect of Full mode."

In the Sony Tv, it also zooms vertically abit so it can minimise the horizonal stretch.

It is used for filling a 4:3 source into 16:9.

You're right, it makes standard 4:3 fill the screen but not look as squashed as normal. Doubt I'd ever use it over normal with black bars either side though. But thanks for explaining it.

I have a highly technical question:

Can the "Full HD 1080" gold/black sticker in RH bottom corner be safely removed without leaving marks or peeling off paint ? Has anybody done this?

Joe

I've noticed that if you do you will just get flat, no holes corner. If you look closely it will be noticeable with the sticker on.

Edited by picture.perfect

I have a highly technical question:

Can the "Full HD 1080" gold/black sticker in RH bottom corner be safely removed without leaving marks or peeling off paint ? Has anybody done this?

Joe

Sticker is exactly the same as the other sticker that was on there and comes off no problems at all!

I've noticed that if you do you will just get flat, no holes corner. If you look closely it will be noticeable with the sticker on.

What size screen is that on??

My 52" had holes under it,the stickers are made to be removed,that's why they have a little triangular shaped tab on them.

If I plug my PS3 into a HDMI port in, and then plug my XBOX 360 in via the Component plugs - Can I send the audio from both sources from the TV to the receiver via one cord?

The reason for this is I have a pretty small place so was looking at the Sony DAVIS10 setup (Tiny speakers but dont need big ones). However the receiver only has 1 in line for sound.

Hi all,

Picked up a 46" X on Saturday and set it all up. From a distance all looks well and up close no ghosting or pixel problems. However when sitting up very close , not that you would ever do, if you bring up the info button for the digital channel I can see a bit of ghosting on the info text. For those with a PS3 (via HDMI) on the XMB menu I can notice a bit of red colour ghosting (minimal) on the white text with black backround. Is it just me or is anyon else also a bit paranoid.

Edited by thewizzrd

Thanks OzHTfan. Using a DVDO VP30; purchased about 18 months ago, intending to set it up with our previous Sony 3LCD RP. But it was incompatible as the 3LCD wouldn't accept its native resolution and it's internal scaling kept on overriding the VP30. That was about the time the VP30 was considered the holy grail for all types of displays. Some people (like me) found out the limitations the hard way.

I was never inclined to bother with setting it up with the SXRD until I did an inventory of our idle gear recently. I recalled our Australian SXRD was able to accept 1080p sources via HDMI (The previous U.S. XBR1 could not accept 1080p) so I though I'd give it a go; particularly since recent VP30 software upgrades have added 1080p pass through.

But I'm going to have to do a lot more reading and output setup adjustments to get a better result.

Thanks john h for your comments also.

Words such as "brilliant", "stunning", "gobsmacking" make me very envious and aware that "something is not working somewhere".

To you both, I've rechecked everything and adjusted the display, prior to setting VP30 picture controls (using DVE and the VP30 internal test patterns).

I had previously observed the VP30 picture was much smoother (film like) without any judder and less visible noise. But there is still only marginal improvement in sharpness and crispness of picture. I realize some noise can create the impression of sharp edges but my eyes accept it as an overall benefit. I don’t emphasize it in the SXRD picture menu.

I can only select 1080p 60 output (not 1080p 50) but I haven't tried frame rate conversion as yet (a bit timid). What output do you use? and have you had to adjust frame rates at all?

One of our favourite DVDs for PQ is Lord Of The Rings III - which to me is "gobsmacking" even via our player, A/V, SXRD component setup. The player is the Yamaha DVD-CX1 which was reviewed as having one of the best PQs available at the time.

Maybe I'm expecting too much? Perhaps FULL HD displays with adequate internal scaling should be enough for me.

Any ideas?

Thought you may have an iscan. Nice unit. But do you have the optional VRS precision deinterlacing in it? That to me would be a feature you wouldn't want to miss when feeding a 576i signal through it. Also, given you are feeding by component first off, that in itself could be the weak link in the chain. I would try to test a DVD player that outputs 576i via HDMI for comparison if possible. In the few times I've entertained the idea of an iscan it's been the VP50, but as you would know it comes at a significant premium to the VP30, so I've never gone for one as I'd only be using the high end features as such for min 1080i signals.

Hi guys looking at buying the 52"x3100 sony are they made in japan or else where? also those who have the 52"models does it tell you on the back what date it was made if so can you post,also have you had any problems with them runing a media centre,ps3 or xbox360 :rolleyes:

thanks

My wife just made me buy a 46" X series Bravia, I wanted the 40" but she insisted we up-size!

It got delivered last night, when she came home she didn't even notice that I had unpacked the box and was watching it! She explained that because I was watching the "How To" channel on Austar, she didn't take any more notice! ;) If the Food Channel was on then she might have stopped and taken a second look. It's a little bigger than my old Mitsubishi 29" 4:3 set.

My only HD source at the moment is a Zensonic Z500 and a handful of HD .WMV files. Boy is it an impressive screen! I have a 1080p DRM free version of "Over The Hedge" in .WMV, almost as good as the BD demo in the store!

I'm going to transplant my upscaling Samsung DVD player from the home theatre into the lounge room to use with it. Probably going to get an Oppo player for the HT, and maybe a Toshiba HD-DVD.

Michael.

My wife just made me buy a 46" X series Bravia, I wanted the 40" but she insisted we up-size!

It got delivered last night, when she came home she didn't even notice that I had unpacked the box and was watching it! She explained that because I was watching the "How To" channel on Austar, she didn't take any more notice! ;) If the Food Channel was on then she might have stopped and taken a second look. It's a little bigger than my old Mitsubishi 29" 4:3 set.

My only HD source at the moment is a Zensonic Z500 and a handful of HD .WMV files. Boy is it an impressive screen! I have a 1080p DRM free version of "Over The Hedge" in .WMV, almost as good as the BD demo in the store!

I'm going to transplant my upscaling Samsung DVD player from the home theatre into the lounge room to use with it. Probably going to get an Oppo player for the HT, and maybe a Toshiba HD-DVD.

Michael.

Sounds like she really put a gun to your head.

Michael.

Yeah same here,I was going to get the 46" and my wife said the 52" would be better.

I'm selling an Oppo player if you're interested,it's still under warranty.

Thought you may have an iscan. Nice unit. But do you have the optional VRS precision deinterlacing in it? That to me would be a feature you wouldn't want to miss when feeding a 576i signal through it. Also, given you are feeding by component first off, that in itself could be the weak link in the chain. I would try to test a DVD player that outputs 576i via HDMI for comparison if possible. In the few times I've entertained the idea of an iscan it's been the VP50, but as you would know it comes at a significant premium to the VP30, so I've never gone for one as I'd only be using the high end features as such for min 1080i signals.

I purchased and installed the ABT102D precision deinterlacing card when it was released (just wishing to keep the VP30 up to the mark).

I’ll try and borrow a player with 576i / HDMI output and see what happens. It will be interesting. Although, if it make a worthwhile difference, I’ll be up for a new DVD player, which may as well be HD. (not sure whether Blu-ray or HD DVD - or a hybrid. Have you got a preference?)

On the other hand, why not trade up to the VP50 and do the whole hog? Well I can’t justify that at the moment - not where it counts. New technology can be a curse.

This is almost getting off SXRD topic but hopefully members will accommodate the slight deviation - it is after all pertinent to our SXRD.

in use.

i noticed that too..

Dont think its a concern.. just normal electrical component working and just being a little noisy

I think so anyways..

I purchased and installed the ABT102D precision deinterlacing card when it was released (just wishing to keep the VP30 up to the mark).

I’ll try and borrow a player with 576i / HDMI output and see what happens. It will be interesting. Although, if it make a worthwhile difference, I’ll be up for a new DVD player, which may as well be HD. (not sure whether Blu-ray or HD DVD - or a hybrid. Have you got a preference?)

On the other hand, why not trade up to the VP50 and do the whole hog? Well I can’t justify that at the moment - not where it counts. New technology can be a curse.

This is almost getting off SXRD topic but hopefully members will accommodate the slight deviation - it is after all pertinent to our SXRD.

With players, it's slight conundrum at the moment. I sit on the fence with a Toshiba XA2 and PS3. I justify having the bluray via the PS3 since I don't mind the odd bit of gaming on it. If I had to pick, I'd have a Bluray for it's title support. But it's also nice not to miss out on a few titles by having the HD-DVD as well. One day a decent combi player will emerge, until now the best option is a player from each camp if you feel the need for both formats. Or you could go one step more radical and get an HTPC with an HD/BR LG combi drive and play everything under the sun.

When reading discussions about deinterlacing and SXRD’s, make sure to distinguish between XBR1, A2000 and XBR2 models, as they are all different.

DRC settings can also affect results, so those need to be known as well.

Also don’t mix up XBR2 SXRD and XBR2 LCD displays.

There is also no guarantee that the Australian models will be the same as any of the above. There could be significant differences due to the need for 50Hz support in our sets.

Best idea is to let your eyes be the judge.

The 60” SXRD should be available in stores now, so you should not have to wait too long.

The Faroudja dcdi does not handle 1080i. Chips that do like Silicon Optics HQV and Genum VXP cost big money.

Owen, I've been doing some retro reading and came across your post: as above.

You are spot on with your comments re. mixing various SXRD models, SXRD & LCDs and the likely difference between overseas models and those for Australia.

And the need for 50Hz support over here.

And - of course - "... let your eyes be the judge..."

Since the time of your post, have you any new observations or experiences regarding the VP30 processor and the Aussie SXRD?