Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO ESTABLISH A SINGLE BRAVIA OWNERS THREAD!

Edited by Bry

Good Idea - I must have been typing this in another topic as you created this topic!!

Copy :

Posting this in here to try and not clutter up the Group Buy Thread

Some posts are saying that the optical output from the Bravia is only stereo

Not True!

I have the optical outrput connected to my HT receiver and WHEN the station is transmitting it the receiver finds and selects Dolby Digital.

I was initially confused as the banner info for the channel (when you first select the channel) OR the "i-plate" display says dolby digital on the HD channels most of the time and all my receiver was doing was Pro Logic.

However, some shows ARE transmitted in DD and whn it happens the receiver switched to DD and all is good

So don't believe the info display from the TV station but if you set it up to auto then you will get DD when it is being transmitted.

Cheers

Doo

ps - thanks to the people sending PM's for the Group Buy - daughter #2 got a new iPod and proceeded to download some movies - "because she could" - end result is we used up the monthly download limit in 7 days (12 GB) and I am now throttled back to a very skinny pipe for the rest of the month!!

Good Idea - I must have been typing this in another topic as you created this topic!!

Copy :

Posting this in here to try and not clutter up the Group Buy Thread

Some posts are saying that the optical output from the Bravia is only stereo

Not True!

I have the optical outrput connected to my HT receiver and WHEN the station is transmitting it the receiver finds and selects Dolby Digital.

I was initially confused as the banner info for the channel (when you first select the channel) OR the "i-plate" display says dolby digital on the HD channels most of the time and all my receiver was doing was Pro Logic.

However, some shows ARE transmitted in DD and whn it happens the receiver switched to DD and all is good

So don't believe the info display from the TV station but if you set it up to auto then you will get DD when it is being transmitted.

Cheers

Doo

I also use the optical output of my X3100 to connect my home theatre system, and got DD sound. But I found there is lip sync problem with this. The sound comes a bit late than image. not sure it is TV's problem or home theatre's.

Edited by Davidwl

I also use the optical output of my X3100 to connect my home theatre system, and got DD sound. But I found there is lip sync problem with this. The sound comes a bit late than image. not sure it is TV's problem or home theatre's.

Hi David,

I am using the optical output from my XBR into my HT, but, have not noticed any lip sync error so far. I will now look/listen critically and report back if I find the same problem

Cheers

Bry

what have people here been connecting their tv's to to record HD/Sd tv ?

i was wondering whether a HD pvr is a good idea, or a HTPC ?

David,

I have just quickly checked 7HD, 9HD and 10HD and have spot-on sound and vision sync.

9HD had a kid's program running with a young fellow belting around a pair of cymbals and

the sound was absolutely coincident with the cymbals hitting each other.

Cheers

Bry

If you bought your uint from the GB let me know so I collate numbers.

Name Model Location Which GB

Thanks in advance

what have people here been connecting their tv's to to record HD/Sd tv ?

i was wondering whether a HD pvr is a good idea, or a HTPC ?

Larry,

I suspect that the answer to your question will depend on individual circumstances.

For myself, I am using a Toshiba HDD-J35 PVR which has a very nice auto feature:

if you engage Auto, the machine automatically switches itself to the incoming video

format.

Cheers

Bry

If you bought your uint from the GB let me know so I collate numbers.

Name Model Location Which GB

Thanks in advance

Melcrow,

With great respect, I think that this is not the place for this item.

The matter you raise is, I would have thought, quite clearly

a GB issue.

If you re-post the question on the GB thread, I, for one, will

be very happy to give you an answer.

Cheers

Bry

I hear the lip sync problem can be fixed by a firmware update. Contact Sony, they will send someone out with the new firmware on a USB stick, and 15 minutes later you should be all good.

What I want to know is, if I have my PS3 connected with HDMI to the TV, and then have the sound coming out of the optical output on the Bravia, will that output the 5.1 to my surround system as the PS3 is inputting into the TV?

...I'm getting my TV Thursday and am just trying to get an idea of what set-up I need when it arrives.

Edited by devonuto

Guest operator
What I want to know is, if I have my PS3 connected with HDMI to the TV, and then have the sound coming out of the optical output, will that output the 5.1 as the PS3 is inputting into the TV?

i was under the impression the optical out is specifically for DTV 5.1 output, not pass-through.

why wouldnt you just take the optical out directly from the PS3 to your receiver?

i was under the impression the optical out is specifically for DTV 5.1 output, not pass-through.

why wouldnt you just take the optical out directly from the PS3 to your receiver?

I was asked that before in another thread. It's mainly just for convenience.

I only have two optical inputs on him my home theater system and have three devices which require optical audio. I can however get around it by using RCAs on my HDD Recorder as it's only SD, and will only be used for recording shows until the PVR for the PS3 is released early next year.

Edited by devonuto

Hi everyone,

I have the bravia x 3100 and havent noticed any sync issues at all.

The problem i have is watching avis from the pc, I get a straight line flicker across the panel in the faster moving scenes.

May be the pc graphics card, same avi put on dvd-rw works fine in pvr.

Any Ideas ?

Edited by dave.b

Can I ask for those who have purchased in the GB, what is the PQ of the 40" X series when viewing a Foxtel programme? I get a more than adequate PQ with my existing SD CRT but it can't match the Bravia DVD quality I see in the shops. I'm torn on what to do as this is a very good opportunity but at the same time, as I view a lot of Foxtel far more than I do DVDs, if the Bravia PQ for Foxtel isn't going to be much of an enhancement over my existing SD CRT, maybe I should wait for another 12 months or so and hopefully technology will have made more strides on PQ to make it truly beneficial. What do others think?

Thanks!!

Edited by Top_Bhoy

Can I ask for those who have purchased in the GB, what is the PQ of the 40" X series when viewing a Foxtel programme? I get a more than adequate PQ with my existing SD CRT but it can't match the Bravia DVD quality I see in the shops. I'm torn on what to do as this is a very good opportunity but at the same time, as I view a lot of Foxtel far more than I do DVDs, if the Bravia PQ for Foxtel isn't going to be much of an enhancement over my existing SD CRT, maybe I should wait for another 12 months or so and hopefully technology will have made more strides on PQ to make it truly beneficial. What do others think?

Thanks!!

I have an 770 Foxtel unit and once I switched the video output to S-Video it was quite reasonable. I think it has more to do with the outputs from the Foxtel Unit. One they have a decent box you will get a better picture Garbage in - ... Out

had my 1st prob with the xbr 52 tonight, my digital tv channels thought the sony tv tuner went mute, no sound on any channel, had to pull the power out and plugged it back in after 20 secs. fixed the prob but hope it doesnt happen to often.

I have an 770 Foxtel unit and once I switched the video output to S-Video it was quite reasonable. I think it has more to do with the outputs from the Foxtel Unit. One they have a decent box you will get a better picture Garbage in - ... Out

Not to mention Foxtel's plan to start broadcasting in HD some time in 2008.

I use a SCART to Component Cable on my CRT, hoping that combination will be good enough when my 46XBR arrives on Thursday... can't see how it won't be.

All 576i looks pretty ordinary on 1080p TVs, but still definitely watchable. I make the comparison of DivX compared to DVD on SD to the picture difference of 576i on a 1080p TV... not a real issue unless you are a supremely picky bastard. ;)

had my 1st prob with the xbr 52 tonight, my digital tv channels thought the sony tv tuner went mute, no sound on any channel, had to pull the power out and plugged it back in after 20 secs. fixed the prob but hope it doesnt happen to often.

my old 52"X2000 used to do this and the digital tuner was replaced. Hope I don't have to go through that again with my 52" XBR!!

Got my 40" X setup this evening, very impressed by it. SD broadcasts are good, HD is excellent. Haven't connected anything else to it yet.

The 'vivid' setting made my eyes water it was so harsh, 'standard' is much more natural but I ended up tweaking the picture to be slightly softer again. Been impressed by the quality of the speakers too.

Very happy so far.

If it's for DTV 5.1 output, it fails at its task. It only sends stereo PCM.

EDIT: I stand corrected on that, after an extensive dig through the menus. The relevant setting is in the DTV Setup menu, and the default is MPEG (PCM) output. Switched to Dolby Digital I got direct DD pass-through from DTV. The confusion here was the fact that the on-screen display for each channel proudly declared DOLBY DIGITAL, when unbeknownst to me the TV was decoding it and converting it to PCM.

The optical out *will* pass through any audio sent via HDMI, with one caveat: it has to be stereo. It will not pass through Dolby Digital or any other surround or hi-res format. This, in my opinion, is stupidity. I've had it suggested to me that it's for "copyright protection" reasons. Which of course is bollocks :)

I'm currently using the digital out with my PVR (in stereo, sigh) to alleviate a nasty audio-sync problem which I'm hoping the Sony firmware update will improve (it's partly, I suspect, the fault of the third-party HDMI processor in the PVR).

Edited by Neon Kitten

If it's for DTV 5.1 output, it fails at its task. It only sends stereo PCM.

EDIT: I stand corrected on that, after an extensive dig through the menus. The relevant setting is in the DTV Setup menu, and the default is MPEG (PCM) output. Switched to Dolby Digital I got direct DD pass-through from DTV. The confusion here was the fact that the on-screen display for each channel proudly declared DOLBY DIGITAL, when unbeknownst to me the TV was decoding it and converting it to PCM.

The optical out *will* pass through any audio sent via HDMI, with one caveat: it has to be stereo. It will not pass through Dolby Digital or any other surround or hi-res format. This, in my opinion, is stupidity. I've had it suggested to me that it's for "copyright protection" reasons. Which of course is bollocks :)

I'm currently using the digital out with my PVR (in stereo, sigh) to alleviate a nasty audio-sync problem which I'm hoping the Sony firmware update will improve (it's partly, I suspect, the fault of the third-party HDMI processor in the PVR).

Hi Neon Kitten,

I have just had my first play with the sound department of the TV and can confirm what you have found.

As delivered, the XBR has the sound defaulted to MPEG! On changing this to Dolby Digital my HT, fed from the "DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)" on the XBR, immediately told me I now had AC-3 (the old name for Dolby Digital).

I would suggest everyone has a good look through the totality of the "Settings" department of the Menu on these BRAVIAs.

Cheers

Bry

yeah i think the mods seriously need to purne the threads a bit and merge everything into one

Has anyone posted any settings for the 46XBR?

Too many Bravia threads and pages to go through.

Thanks in advance

There is another thread about settings over here:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=54940

But there isn't much discussion on it. I'm interested in what settings others are using too. I've the 52X viewed from 3m and find both Vivid and Standard way too artifical looking, so I've been tinkering with making changes in Custom. What I'm aiming for is natural looking, or at least what the film maker intended. Here's what I've got so far:

Backlight: 3 (To help the blacks look deeper. Generally watch at night. Could be dropped lower still)

Picture: 72 (I've had this as high as 80 and as low as 65, but finally now settled on 72)

Brightness: 50 (I'm tempted to lower this a tad to help with blacks, but so far have left it on 50)

Color: 50 (Don't like the over saturated look.)

Hue: 50

Color Temperature: Netural (Don't like the yellowy look of "Warm" or the Blue tinge in "Cool", prefer Netural)

Sharpness: 60

Noise Reduction: Low (Anything higher than "low" seems to incur detail loss)

MPEG Noise Reduction: High (Can't see any detail loss from "High", and want to avoid compression artifacts)

DRC Mode: Off (Setting it to even "low" produces artifacts, like oversharping or something. Set off it looks smooth, but clear of artifacts. I prefer it off for this reason. Plus "off" gets rid of the jaggies in SD content)

DRC Palette: N/A

Black Corrector: Off (Even a low setting here crushes the shadow detail, making this unuseable, which is a pity because blacks would be the only negative thing about this TV)

Advanced C.E.: Low (In an attempt to improve blacks. It does whiten skin tones a little though, but I can live with that)

Gamma: Off

Clear White: Off

Color Space: Standard (Setting "wide" makes everyone look yellow)

Live Color: Off

White Balance: Normal, didn't play with it.

Detail Enhancer: High. (I like this. Freeze frame a scene with lots of detail, like hair or fur on an animal. Then watch this setting add clarity out of thin air. Nice!)

Edge Enhancer: Off (Not sure what this does, but if it sharpens edges, surely that will create the very jaggies we'd all rather avoid?)

Motion Enhancer: Standard (Nice. "High" introduces jerkiness and wild random junk in heavily detailed fast moving areas, but "Standard" seems to work well. Smooths out motion nicely).

CineMotion: Auto 2

I'm loving my 52X! At 3m even (good quality) SD looks very watchable with the above settings and HD is amazing.