Sign in to follow this  
digitalj

7 Hd Multichannel Has Started

The Yahoo 7 website throws no light on the subject either. Obviously they don't care whether people watch or not.

The Yahoo 7 website throws no light on the subject either. Obviously they don't care whether people watch or not.
I doubt they do care, advertising revenue from this channel will be tiny (if anything). IMO this (HD multichanneling) is more a kudos thing and trying to generate a bit of "buz". After a short period of novelty it will just be an oddity most nights.

Of course this was just a proof of concept test run to see they didn't blow up everyone's STBs accidently :). I'd expect a much bigger (full) media blitz to kick off the festivities later on.

I anticipate it will provide endless posts along the lines "Arrgh, they took off show X I was watching in HD to air show Y in HD instead? I'm really pissed off!"

It will be interesting if the paper guides do start indicating 'alternate programming'. They already do for regional variations aka 7:30 Ch9 Mc Louds Daughters (WIN: Smallville) so it shouldn't be all that difficult.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

The Brisbane Courier Mail /Sunday Mail real estate panic disaster apocolypse fear doom crisis rag doesn't even list ABC 2 so why would they bother? I see there are still TV mags around like TV Week, I've never looked inside one but they presumably have been churning along for years on a fixed format, and these new channels would require them to do a complete re-lay of their pages. Just out of interest I might buy one and then buy one next year. Unless the Courier Mail decides there won't be a next year.

I can only hope that since Perth got Seven's HD months late, we'll get this debacle late too.

Or is that too much to hope?

If they do replace HD shows with some FlyByNight stupidity, they really are clowns! :angry:

25th hour was shown in HD in Perth last night. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the DD 5.1 sound. sounded better than criminal minds which was also in 5.1.

Edited by hoffho

How come so many of you were watching ads live on Seven to notice anyway? Without this thread I'd have never known. I thought everyone here belonged to one of the four main DTV Forum camps:

A. I record my TV shows on my PVR/DVD Recorder/VCR and watch later so I can skip the ads.

B. I download my TV so I don't have to watch ads and can infuriate my work colleagues by spoiling the ending of their favourite programs.

C. I only watch ABC and read books. I used to watch SBS, but now they have ads and I have principles!

D. I'm far too busy arguing whether HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is the spawn of the devil to actually watch anything.

LOL :) A very good summary.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

How quickly the random alterations and tests; without warning, to channels by other networks - the ABC was constantly farting with their's for a while for instance... are written off in the rush to condemn the here and now.

Such mental processing seems to be the only means of reasoning that the "modern" Aussie mind is capable of.

Memory? What's that? Who needs it anyway... "Ah; that's right, I need to remember things by selectively "Googling" when I want to put someone else down as being a boneheaded twerp deserving of nothing more than being urinated on from a great height, for making me not look as glorious as I know I am!" seems to be the most common response of today's 'average' aussie. <_<

What skin is it off anyone's noses, if 7's multichannel iteration succeeds or fails. People here whinge like stuck pigs because an SD show isn't being upscaled to HD - while others whinge that SD is being upscaled to HD in the first place, and yet others about some supposed inconvenience because life as they know it will come to an end because their PVR recorded something different than the repeated show that's on it's second repeat run, and will likely have a third and even fourth run because it's good enough to warrant it.

Ch7 is gonna get roasted by some whinger with an axe to grind regardless of how they tackle the presentation of their programing, as well as the alterations and tests they determine are needed to achieve the result they - not us; regard as necessary. I'm sure they're big enough boys to cope with the repercussions. <_<

From a personal perspective - I'm prepared to look at what's being provided (which seemed pretty good in PQ on my Aquos LCD HDTV - though it was a pretty boring program) and hope that this type of multi-channeling provides enough impetus for those who haven't yet got themselves HD viewing devices, to stop whinging about someone else solving the World's problems for them; get off their behinds and sort out purchasing the appropriate devices that'll let them watch the selection of programs that's finally being made available to them.

Edited by Steve C

Dead right Steve. If we take a step back and look at the big picture, it's only a year ago that ABC and 7 were still 576p, 9 and 10 offered a miserly schedule of HD and things didn't look like they were going to improve any time soon.

Then 7 amazed us all by suddenly switching to 1080i in Sydney and Melbourne, then everywhere else. ABC dipped its toe in the water with Planet Earth, Art Museums etc.

Now at least 2 new HD channels and probably ch.9 to follow - with the Olympics from 9 in HD next year.

To use the currently overworked term: I think we are at a tipping point, so what if there's a bit of argy bargy and scheduling stuff ups in the short term. I personally believe the sub $100 HD STB is going to be the big thing.

Edited by BribieG

Ch7 is gonna get roasted by some whinger with an axe to grind regardless of how they tackle the presentation of their programing, as well as the alterations and tests they determine are needed to achieve the result they - not us; regard as necessary. I'm sure they're big enough boys to cope with the repercussions. <_<

From a personal perspective - I'm prepared to look at what's being provided (which seemed pretty good in PQ on my Aquos LCD HDTV - though it was a pretty boring program) and hope that this type of multi-channeling provides enough impetus for those who haven't yet got themselves HD viewing devices, to stop whinging about someone else solving the World's problems for them; get off their behinds and sort out purchasing the appropriate devices that'll let them watch the selection of programs that's finally being made available to them.

G'day Steve, I disagree a little.

As you know most people aren't interested in HD, they want to know what's different about it, how it will change their viewing enjoyment. ABC2's been around a long time & still I've never seen a listing for it (Herald etc.) SMH just started a new prime-time guide with no mention of it, you'd think they were a prime candidate. Even a listing similar to how sport is handled would be enough.

Multichanneling can't increase takeup if no-one knows about it. I'm just like most people, I want to be able to read the TV guide to see what's on, not have to check the internet etc.

As for the first part of your comment, I agree we should let them get it sorted first. But I'm amazed that no-one on the technical side of things has watched and said "oh, I can't get Dolby surround; commercials are as loud as the program" and so on. Same goes for Ten with their DD2.0 ads, or Nine's commercial break music as a few have mentioned.

TV is definitely an industry where someone up in the office must be an enthusiast, or at least curious enough to ask "why".

Cheers, Mike.

Now at least 2 new HD channels and probably ch.9 to follow - with the Olympics from 9 in HD next year.

The 2008 Olympics will be shown in Ch 7 next year. Ch9 only won the rights to the 2010 winter Olympics and 2012 London games.

What skin is it off anyone's noses, if 7's multichannel iteration succeeds or fails. People here whinge like stuck pigs because an SD show isn't being upscaled to HD - while others whinge that SD is being upscaled to HD in the first place, and yet others about some supposed inconvenience because life as they know it will come to an end because their PVR recorded something different than the repeated show that's on it's second repeat run, and will likely have a third and even fourth run because it's good enough to warrant it.

We have every right to whinge when Channel 7 decides to change its programming without any official notice and deny viewing of programming in the HD format it was made in.

ICE last night was NOT a repeat and given that it's not a very popular show may never be shown again so why deny showing it in HD?

Wouldn't it have been more sensible to show a test/trial transmission of the 7HD channel during a time when there is only SD content being shown on the main channel? e.g. after 2am or at midday?

Of course that would incorrectly assume common sense on the part of Ch7. Yet again they have shown how little they actually care about what their viewers see (as long as they see the ads). Ch7 can't seriously expect any gratitude after they gave us 576p for SIX years.

25th hour was shown in HD in Perth last night. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the DD 5.1 sound. sounded better than criminal minds which was also in 5.1.

It wasn't in 5.1. Nothing from surround or centre speakers.

Just to add to what I said before the show...

*Seven continued to screen "Next - Boston Legal (HD)" even after their silly "We're now multicasting on HD - from 10:30pm" announcement.

*Seven continue to stuff everyone around by delaying everything by 15mins ... and I don't know anyone who thinks that more people will watch what Seven hopes is "Australia's Number 1 Drama" by delaying it for quarter of an hour of mind-numbing "Police arrived at 2:30 and helped Aunty Dot retrieve her cat from the tree" bullshit!!!

...and, as I previously said...

Only Seven is dumb enough to pull HD content to run their unadvertised "Nu HD" service...

Clowns! :angry:

NB: Yep, the grainy start was off-putting; The audio read 5.1, but was 1.5; The movie started so late, you'd have to record it if you wanted to watch it all; The movie was mind-numbingly slow (to start with ... started speeding up just as I was calling it quits after they finally worked out how to insert an ad)

Has anyone mentioned to Channel 7 yet that they are stuffing up the audio flags on their HD broadcast channel?

Seems 5.1 is getting sent as 2 channel, and 2 channel as 5.1... How can the tech's at seven not realise this!!!

Just to add to what I said before the show...

*Seven continued to screen "Next - Boston Legal (HD)" even after their silly "We're now multicasting on HD - from 10:30pm" announcement.

I noticed this also, thought I had one too many scotches..

Went to bed..

Wow, a lot of ****ing here on what was nothing more than a test run. I'm sure guide info, the watermark, audio flags, etc. will be fixed up and they'll be more careful with scheduling once they have it complete.

Some more information on their actual plans was released today.

"We are the first to move into new channels," Mr Leckie said. "Our introduction of a nightly two hour channel and different programmes across weekend daytime complementing our primary Seven channel is the first step towards a second Channel Seven before Christmas and a third Channel Seven in the coming fifteen months.

"We have been one network for more than five decades. From last night, we are now two networks and we'll be three networks by early 2009. We can't wait. Our people can't wait. And, we believe Australian television audiences will embrace this explosion of choice in content on broadcast television." Seven's second channel was launched with the network television premiere of the movie 25th Hour and Seven is planning the scheduling of first release movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights. Across Tuesday and Thursday, Seven will schedule a first-run high definition US series "The Grid". On weekend daytimes, Seven's significant sports schedule on its primary channel will be complemented by children's and family programming through its output agreement with The Walt Disney Company.

This "breakaway" schedule is the first step "with a complete primetime schedule for the second Channel Seven to be launched in the coming weeks. The "look and feel" and on-air presentation marketing and promotion for the new channel will be unveiled to coincide with the launch of the complete schedule for the second Channel Seven in the coming weeks. Planning is welladvanced in the production of new high definition programmes that leverage Seven's acknowledged leadership in Australian production and the scheduling of episodes of many of Australia's most-watched television series.

I for one are excited that 7 will be airing alternative programming during weekend sport, which also signifies that it looks like they won't be turning off the HD channel anymore. Meanwhile others are still ****ing about the years of 576p despite the fact they now have access to alternative programming and 1080i resolution.

Edited by SteveBuscemi

We have every right to whinge when Channel 7 decides to change its programming without any official notice and deny viewing of programming in the HD format it was made in.

ICE last night was NOT a repeat and given that it's not a very popular show may never be shown again so why deny showing it in HD?

Wouldn't it have been more sensible to show a test/trial transmission of the 7HD channel during a time when there is only SD content being shown on the main channel? e.g. after 2am or at midday?

Of course that would incorrectly assume common sense on the part of Ch7. Yet again they have shown how little they actually care about what their viewers see (as long as they see the ads). Ch7 can't seriously expect any gratitude after they gave us 576p for SIX years.

So Ch7 runs a 'test' without massive prior announcements... Sure you've got every right to chuck a 'tantie'; just as Ch7 has every right to ignore such inanity.

If you really don't like the way 7 is going about it's multi-channel roll-in... contact Ch7's programming department and register your concerns regarding their approach. If you don't particularly like the response you'd no doubt get from them - why not get a bunch of like minded whingers together: ammass a whole pile of funding and make a play for a HD broadcasting license of your own.

You're even free to turn to another channel if you so desire. You might even be able to claim that 7's actions 'drove' you into downloading illegal torrents of shows. Why not consider buying a HD-DVD drive or BR player so you can get your favourite HD show/s on disc and not have to worry about any of the free to air networks...

I'm not even defending Ch7... but they're the one's who've invested in the equipment. They're the one's who've hired/employed the executives/technicians who have made the decision/s to go about implimenting things this way. Even though I am particularly surprised at how they're going about it - given I believed they weren't going to impliment/test multi-channelling until December of this year; I gotta live with it. It also seems that; unlike some, I'm quite prepared to sit back and let them sort it out rather than wetting my pants with excitement and fear. Some people are gonna need plenty of pant changes before this all settles down by the looks of things. <_<

In case anyone missed the guide:

Tonight: 11pm - The Grid (New Series) followed by That 70's Show

Wednesday: 1030pm - Solaris (George Clooney)

In case anyone missed the guide:

Tonight: 11pm - The Grid (New Series) followed by That 70's Show

Wednesday: 1030pm - Solaris (George Clooney)

and some more:

thursday 1030pm the grid and that 70's show as well

friday 830pm hide and seek and then i love yo udon't touch me

saturday 12pm - whispers: an elephant's tale

I for one are excited that 7 will be airing alternative programming during weekend sport ...

As my wife will be. :(

The Grid: This miniseries follows a maverick NSA counter-terrorism operative Maya Jackson and an FBI agent named Max Canary who along with two British counter-terrorism agents collaborate to disrupt a ferocious terrorist cell bent on destroying the world’s economic foundations.

I love you don't touch me (1998 Movie) - Rated 'R' so the ads might drag in a few: Synopsis: Just Your Typical Boy-Loves-Girl Who Doesn't Love Boy Till He Loves Other Girl Story Plot Outline: The story of a 25 year old virgin girl, looking for the right boyfriend, not realizing that "the one" has been next to her for many years.

Yep, the extra content is definitely looking like the stuff they had lying around but always something better to put to air instead.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

OK, then.

Question for the Seven apologists...

Why the f**k run their "Nose Cutter HD" service only when they have previously scheduled HD content?!?! :angry::angry::angry:

Why not schedule SD programming on the SD service, opposite HD programming on the HD service?

Is that too hard for the "oops, we gotta switch HD off to save power each night" Seven Network? :angry::wacko: