7 Hd Multichannel Has Started

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not AT ALL Seven's fault, however ...

This movie has some crap focus work. It's probably not the lenses, because every 3rd or 4th shot looks brilliantly sharp, but then all the other shots look soft. You can tell really easily, too.

It's not an old movie either, right? Goes to show that the HD thing is still trickling down around the industry, etc.

CK.

Something is wrong with your decoder.

The audio stream is DD 2.0 (384kbps)

Rubbish; my decoder's fine thank you very much. Switches beautifully with all other sources INCLUDING the one I'm referring to. My amp works well.

even on my DVICO HDTV card it says 5.1

MyTheatre is reporting 2.0. Also just checked the file, it is DD 2.0

Also, not sure if anyone has noticed and I don't know when they changed it but it's FULL 1920 x 1080 HD

This movie has some crap focus work. It's probably not the lenses, because every 3rd or 4th shot looks brilliantly sharp, but then all the other shots look soft. You can tell really easily, too.K.

I just expected more for a 2002 film but what you say is what I am meaning. The close ups look reasonable but the distance shots are not even close. I am not saying it looks bad, just look great.

Edit: The new 7HD shows up as 5.1 always in Melbourne too.

Edited by LBM

Edit: The new 7HD shows up as 5.1 always in Melbourne too.

What are you using to determine that figure?

It might be being flagged as 5.1, but the AC3 stream is DD 2.0

MyTheatre correctly identifies the DD 2.0 stream and checking the recorded file it's DD2.0

Something is wrong with your decoder.

The audio stream is DD 2.0 (384kbps)

Seven is flagging their 'new channel' (when it starts) as 5.1 - have been since they started on Monday, advertisments and all. I gave up and set my Beyonwiz to decode and output in 2 channels so I could at least set my receiver to Prologic II and get sound out of the centre and rear surrounds.

They had this problem back when they first started tinkering with 5.1 with shows such as Ugly Betty. Let's hope its fixed quickly (ie, they correctly flag the stream depending what is being carried in it). Another 64Kbps into the audio for the HD channel would be nice too (over 300Kbps of null here in Perth).

Edited by Fastlane

In never-before 1920x1080 !! :P

CK.

Ah, no, they played the demo loop extensively when they upped the resolution to 1920x1080 from 1440x1080 back in April for a few weeks until enough people complained that the bitrate was too low for that resolution causing massive blocking effects during motion. They then moved it back to 1440 until today.

EDIT: looking at the demo loop I now remember how bad motion looks at the resolution - especially with the ripples in the water

Although I do believe back in April when it was 1920 res the bitrate was 10.5Mbps and now it's 11.5Mbps so it's not as bad as before

Edited by davmel

Geez Solaris sucked. It started kinda ok, blood and bodies - was sorta hoping for an Event Horizon type flick, but denied. Even when in one of his dream sequences where he see's his wife three times, I was thinking "I like where this is going", but again, denied.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being awesome, and 10 being Signs, it's a good 9.

Heck, beats the crap out of the old 576p loop, tuned in just to see what was happening, saw the good old loop, poured a wine, snuggled up in a bunny rug and sucked my thumb. AAAHHH. Looks sensational here in 1080 - Particularly noticed the much less macroblocking in scenes such as the fish swimming in the crystal clear water. Will tune in tomorrow.

What are you using to determine that figure?

It might be being flagged as 5.1, but the AC3 stream is DD 2.0

MyTheatre correctly identifies the DD 2.0 stream and checking the recorded file it's DD2.0

It is only two channel that has sound but it is still displaying 5.1 in the TV tuner software, on the Amplifier, according to VirtualDub, etc. Everything lists it as 5.1 as has been the case since Monday although as said, it is only flagged that way with the 2 channels of sound.

Which software?

MyTheatre correctly lists it as DD 2.0 because it doesn't blindly list what the flags label it as.

Just 'coz your 'software' analyzes what is in the stream to work out what it is instead of using the flags, doesn't mean what it is doing is 'correct' behaviour in comparison to other software and hifi devices...

In fact I'd expect if this was correct behaviour, flagging wouldnt exist at all..

Edited by Fastlane

It strikes me, that if Seven wants to launch a third channel in SD in 2009, they could squeeze down the two SD channels to Foxtel-like bitrates and still fit a 1.5Mbps VPG and keep the 1920x1080i channel at this bitrate ... right?

CK.

Which software?

MyTheatre correctly lists it as DD 2.0 because it doesn't blindly list what the flags label it as.

I fail to see what is so complicated about it being shown as 2 channel inside 5.1 - everyone has seen it by now but since you still don't see it.

src_audio: AC-3, CM, 3/2lfe(5.1), dn -27dB, cm -3.0dB, sm -3dB, 48000Hz, 384kbps

Image - Virtualdub

Image - TV Tuner

...and the amplifier lighting up but I didn't take a photo of that one :rolleyes:. The simple fact is that all this week (3 days now), Seven has been showing shows and movies with two channels of sound yet strangely placed this inside a 5.1 container.

In one way Ch7 will be quite pleased. At least it shows there's people actually watching... Perhaps that's part of the grand plan.

You could bet your bottom dollar that if they had provided the perfectly (now there's an impossibility to start with - but what the hay; let's just postulate it anyway!) implimented test run of HD multi-channel service, not one comment would have hit these boards... There would have been total and absolute silence. Why? Because no-one knows how to give compliments these days. There's plenty who know and love the art of "slammin". They can't live without a good whinge... but; there's no way their brains can even compute something as implausible as giving credit when credit is due.

Oh come on Steve. Don't get sucked in to that way of thinking. Look at the reality. Unless of course you work for Seven.

This whole thing has been an hilarious debacle. An idea launched publically LONG before it was ready on a MAJOR NATIONAL TV NETWORK.

And the idea only came about as a day-after reactionary retort to Ten's announcement of their plans for their HD channel in December, followed by Nine saying they'd do theirs this month. Cue the rivalry.

Why else do you think this went to air with zero promotion aside from two 10-second promos after 7.30pm on the night of "launch", and no press release to media until the following day? Why do you think there was no updating of the now/next, the watermark, the guide channel, the Seven web site, the other program guides.... nothing!

Why?

Because the decision to "launch" Seven HD was made mere hours before it launched. That's why.

It wasn't ready. Not even close - indeed, Seven's original target date was in December as well, after ratings were done with. But egos had to be placated. And they had to be placated NOW.

Now, someone prove me wrong on all that. Bet you can't.