Sign in to follow this  
dvader

Confirmed Pioneer Kuro 8th Gen Rrp And Best Price Thread.

JB WILL be selling the 1080p models

And you know this how?

And you know this how?

you assume that some people on these forums may work for JB and are being helpful in letting you know these details prior to public knowledge.......

no thanks required :P

JB WILL be selling the 1080p models

If it's more than 1 or 2 stores I will eat my words, but from Pioneer's mouth JB, like most bilk retailers, will NOT be selling the LX range of Pioneer PDPs.

Best price Quoted so far (Tassie) $4799 Myer Launceston! Said they would price match if I could get proof of purchase!!!!ANYONE (mentioned the prices quoted in these forums).

HN so pathetic down here $5199 what a joke! not enough competition. Superted you done very well getting it for $4400 from these noobs.

Ok went to JB's Strathpine (Brisbane) and they have it (the 508xda) at $5100ish. I mentioned I seen it sold at Myers and HN in online forums discussions at $4400 on credit card and I assume that is out of your price range. The salesman (Clint) said we probably can do that if not very close but I would have to buy it now as the manager works that way. I assume he doesn't want to give a great price and see the buyer walk out the door and go price hunting. So if any1 wants to try $4400 there ask for Clint. Hopefully he wasnt pulling my chain.

Oh I was also after a BR player and set top box but he said he could improve on ticketed prices on those as well.

He also confirmed JB is getting the LX to sell. I did not push the questioning though as he was unsure of RRP and time so may have been guessing.

tony

Edited by Peacekeeper

Living in melbourne, i went for a bit of a shop for a 508xda today in the chadstone area. Started off at richmond Clive peeters. They didn't have any in stock, they said, and went down to $4,750 without too much prodding. then i went to chaddy shopping centre and spent a bit of time in the myers there, as it seemed like the best place to mess around with the settings and whatnot. After mucking around a little with the back of the panel using a component connection (turns out one of the component connectors was faulty on the set - hmmmm...) I put in my favourite testing disc into the samsung DVD player that was now connected (by component, as I said, so no upscaling). The DVD I used is called Morrissey: Who put the M in Manchester, which is a music DVD of a concert Morrissey (former frontman of the Smiths). What makes it such a good disc is the amazing contast between the blacks and the lighting of the concert. Really, if you are at all interested in Demo'ing a Kuro set, you should seriously consider buying this disc. Talking a bit with the salesman, who was an older guy who was really nice but didn't know too much about the set, I managed to get him to calibrate the set from some better performance, as the picture was clearly using out-of-the-box settings.

With the salesman's help, I calibrated the 508XDA set to the settings from the british AV forum, which took about ten minutes fiddling with the (quite frankly horrible) remote.

After this calibration, the difference in the black level and contrast was staggering. Not only did my jaw hit the floor, the salesman also seemed very impressed by the inky blacks, which on the Morrissey disc are just everywhere, and the colours popped, the rich blues and reds of the gig lighting blending beautifully into the abyss of black that was the crowd shots. And this wasn't even upscaled!!! In fact, the Kuros were right next to a 50-inch Samsung (or maybe Sony) LCD playing a Blu-ray demo at 1080p, and I have to say that the Kuro ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED the other set in terms of black level and colour quality. The comments of the salesman when i pointed this out were priceless - "There really isn't that much difference between DVD and blu-ray, is there?". Well, I don't know about that personally, but clearly the black levels of the kuro really are that good. Believe the hype. maybe :P They had a 10% of TV sale there (I think all myers have it, at least in melbourne, until the end of tomorrow). So the price was about $4650 for the fifty incher. Well the sticker price was 5199, and it was ten per cent off that, for those with mathematical brains or calculators at their disposal. I left the store thanking the salesman, who said "I might just keep these settings, they're a bit better than the factory settings aren't they?". :D

Then I went to the Harvey Norman and they said they would match the Myer price but wouldn't go any lower as it was supposedly "cost price" at that level. Which I didn't personally believe, though I didn't ask about the $4400 price somebody got on this forum.

Anyway, that was my experience with the Kuros today, and I have to say I want one more than ever now. Like I said, Myers have the sale until tomorrow (sunday) so get in quick if that price point tickles you.

Edited by lukeharris

Living in melbourne, i went for a bit of a shop for a 508xda today in the chadstone area. Started off at richmond Clive peeters. They didn't have any in stock, they said, and went down to $4,750 without too much prodding. then i went to chaddy shopping centre and spent a bit of time in the myers there, as it seemed like the best place to mess around with the settings and whatnot. After mucking around a little with the back of the panel using a component connection (turns out one of the component connectors was faulty on the set - hmmmm...) I put in my favourite testing disc into the samsung DVD player that was now connected (by component, as I said, so no upscaling). The DVD I used is called Morrissey: Who put the M in Manchester, which is a music DVD of a concert Morrissey (former frontman of the Smiths). What makes it such a good disc is the amazing contast between the blacks and the lighting of the concert. Really, if you are at all interested in Demo'ing a Kuro set, you should seriously consider buying this disc. Talking a bit with the salesman, who was an older guy who was really nice but didn't know too much about the set, I managed to get him to calibrate the set from some better performance, as the picture was clearly using out-of-the-box settings.

With the salesman's help, I calibrated the 508XDA set to the settings from the british forum I found here

After this calibration, the difference in the black level and contrast was staggering. Not only did my jaw hit the floor, the salesman also seemed very impressed by the inky blacks, which on the Morrissey disc are just everywhere, and the colours popped, the rich blues and reds of the gig lighting blending beautifully into the abyss of black that was the crowd shots. And this wasn't even upscaled!!! In fact, the Kuros were right next to a 50-inch Samsung (or maybe Sony) LCD playing a Blu-ray demo at 1080p, and I have to say that the Kuro ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED the other set in terms of black level and colour quality. The comments of the salesman when i pointed this out were priceless - "There really isn't that much difference between DVD and blu-ray, is there?". Well, I don't know about that personally, but clearly the black levels of the kuro really are that good. Believe the hype. maybe :P They had a 10% of TV sale there (I think all myers have it, at least in melbourne, until the end of tomorrow). So the price was about $4650 for the fifty incher. Well the sticker price was 5199, and it was ten per cent off that, for those with mathematical brains or calculators at their disposal. I left the store thanking the salesman, who said "I might just keep these settings, they're a bit better than the factory settings aren't they?". :D

Then I went to the Harvey Norman and they said they would match the Myer price but wouldn't go any lower as it was supposedly "cost price" at that level. Which I didn't personally believe, though I didn't ask about the $4400 price somebody got on this forum.

Anyway, that was my experience with the Kuros today, and I have to say I want one more than ever now. Like I said, Myers have the sale until tomorrow (sunday) so get in quick if that price point tickles you.

hey the links not working but im interested in those settings, cheers clarky

They had a 10% of TV sale there (I think all myers have it, at least in melbourne, until the end of tomorrow). So the price was about $4650 for the fifty incher. Well the sticker price was 5199, and it was ten per cent off that, for those with mathematical brains or calculators at their disposal.

I tried that the salesman said the 10% was off RRP not the ticketed price.I think he was wrong though but I wanted lower so did not push the envelope.

Nice to see the UK setting rocked.

Tony

.. (turns out one of the component connectors was faulty on the set - hmmmm...)

I believe some component inputs share same name as HDMI and you must set that particular input to be either 'HDMI' or 'Component'. I suspect this may be the issue. (I was reading a Kuro manual today):

• “INPUT 1” or “INPUT 3” is selectable only when “Disable” is

selected in the “Setting” for “HDMI Input”.

• You can select the signal in each input terminal.

• If no image appears or images appear in inappropriate colours,

specify another video signal type.

• For the signal types to be specified, check the operation manual

that came with the connected equipment.

Edited by HomerJ

hey the links not working but im interested in those settings, cheers clarky

hey clarky, I am a bit of a retard with the linking but the address is http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544315

just look at the first post, and at the bottom are a bunch of links to text files that include one that is for 8G shop demos. I used that one and it worked really well. I'd like to have fiddled some more but I didn't want to make the pretty LCDs look too bad :lol:

You have to register with the site to download the text files, but that only takes a couple of minutes.

I believe some component inputs share same name as HDMI and you must set that particular input to be either 'HDMI' or 'Component'. I suspect this may be the issue. (I was reading a Kuro manual today)

yeah i thought that might have been the problem too i.e. only four usable inputs and you have to label them, right? Doubt pioneer would send a display with faulty connectors. don't set it in stone that the connectors were broke, is what i am trying to say. probably a much more logical explanation as homer said.

After this calibration, the difference in the black level and contrast was staggering. Not only did my jaw hit the floor, the salesman also seemed very impressed by the inky blacks, which on the Morrissey disc are just everywhere, and the colours popped, the rich blues and reds of the gig lighting blending beautifully into the abyss of black that was the crowd shots. And this wasn't even upscaled!!! In fact, the Kuros were right next to a 50-inch Samsung (or maybe Sony) LCD playing a Blu-ray demo at 1080p, and I have to say that the Kuro ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED the other set in terms of black level and colour quality. The comments of the salesman when i pointed this out were priceless - "There really isn't that much difference between DVD and blu-ray, is there?".

If you read the hundreds of pages of the UK forum, it is recommended that you let the Pio do ALL the upscaling and interlacing, and should set DVD players to 576i (not p) to get the best picture. Upscaling DVD players, unless they are high end players, will likely do a worse job than the TV will.

This is the dilemna i'm in at the moment. Which DVD to buy to get the absolute best out of the 508XDA

Bob

If you read the hundreds of pages of the UK forum, it is recommended that you let the Pio do ALL the upscaling and interlacing, and should set DVD players to 576i (not p) to get the best picture. Upscaling DVD players, unless they are high end players, will likely do a worse job than the TV will.

This is the dilemna i'm in at the moment. Which DVD to buy to get the absolute best out of the 508XDA

Bob

But can the Pio (or any HDTV) upscale from a DVD player using component, or does it need a HDMI signal to allow it to upscale?

But can the Pio (or any HDTV) upscale from a DVD player using component, or does it need a HDMI signal to allow it to upscale?

Any HDTV will upscale, if necessary, to the native resolution of the panel.

So, for DVD, the Pio will upscale from 576 to 768, and de-interlace, if set to 576i

bob

Any HDTV will upscale, if necessary, to the native resolution of the panel.

So, for DVD, the Pio will upscale from 576 to 768, and de-interlace, if set to 576i

bob

Sorry to repeat the question, but will it do it through component (or S-Video or composite?) or just through HDMI.

Thanks.

Both

it has to, to be able to display correctly from either source

If a Playstation 3's upscaling for DVDs was set to anything but "Off", would this interfer with how the Pioneer Kuro upscales? I usually have the PS3's upscale setting to "Full".

By the way, this TV and others like it don't have geometry issues, right? Hope not. My Sammy CRT does - it is especially noticeable when playing the PS2 version of MK:Armageddon via Component, even with the game's widescreen and progressive settings both on.

By the way, this TV and others like it don't have geometry issues, right?

Right - all Plasma, LCD, DLP based products have fixed pixels for 'perfect' geometry. CRTs are analog and require calibration via magnets to change the light beam and this won't be perfect in retail products.

The new panasonic 42" truehd model is out, has anyone seen it side by side with the Pio 42". That would make an interesting comparison.

The new panasonic 42" truehd model is out, has anyone seen it side by side with the Pio 42". That would make an interesting comparison.

Where is it out? I thought the Pana was still a few weeks away.

My guess is that the Kuro 42" will have noticably better contrast, deeper blacks and possibly give less motion judder with 24p - but that the Pana will THRASH it for picture-detail with HD.

Such a shame that the Kuro 42" is only 1024x768 pixels. If it were at least 1280x720 or 1366x768, that would've been great.

Where is it out? I thought the Pana was still a few weeks away.

My guess is that the Kuro 42" will have noticably better contrast, deeper blacks and possibly give less motion judder with 24p - but that the Pana will THRASH it for picture-detail with HD.

Such a shame that the Kuro 42" is only 1024x768 pixels. If it were at least 1280x720 or 1366x768, that would've been great.

It was at JB DFO in Melbourne....

I agree there is a LX version of the 42" Pio out in the states but we don't get it here which is a shame as I have quite a close seating distance and it would have been PERFECT if money was no object.

This is the Pricesthread

Why not post all this other stuff in the dedicated KURO thread

My best price so far was from JB Macgregor in Brissie, I told him Myer offer $4680 ($5199- aforementioned 10% off) He said, thats tight for a new model, my cost price is $4580 and offered me $4600. He was a nice guy but there are cheaper prices being floated, so i am still waiting, has anyone got any better in Bris confirmed?