Sign in to follow this  
dvader

Confirmed Pioneer Kuro 8th Gen Rrp And Best Price Thread.

Thats still a hefty discount. I wonder what price the 'group buy' will get? Whatever happened to that anyway???

Yeah that was me but after calling Bing Lee, JB Hifi, Myers and HN today to attempt to replicate that price the best most will do is $4700 cash.

Some other people have quoted prices around $4400-$4500 but with the bulk not having the same luck.

Yeah that was me but after calling Bing Lee, JB Hifi, Myers and HN today to attempt to replicate that price the best most will do is $4700 cash.

Some other people have quoted prices around $4400-$4500 but with the bulk not having the same luck.

thought you said you got it for $4200? Nevertheless I have to say in flesh the 508XD isn't as impressive as I had expected. Sure it was better than the competition. However you have seen better on other forms such as my 27inch Dell screen.

I would consider the price as a main point of purchase for me because I know I will get another screen in the near future. I never like the idea of future proofing. I always have the outlook that the screen will be obsolete after manufacturer's warranty ends. Pioneer is a special case though. Doesn't matter though because I still have more rooms to fill with screens. However this probably will be my last plasma because the secondary costs which is the electric costs will be apart of my requirements in the next buy. Since these plasmas may be the last if the government bans them wouldn't you like a last model V8 car from the 1970's? I sure do. The mercedes SLK 500 :) its black its convertible its HOT, its a V8 and it makes a loud noise :)

Since these plasmas may be the last if the government bans them wouldn't you like a last model V8 car from the 1970's? I sure do. The mercedes SLK 500 :) its black its convertible its HOT, its a V8 and it makes a loud noise :)

After that post - I know that once I get a Kuro at home, my first thought when I switch it on will be... "Broommm... Broommm!!"

Nevertheless I have to say in flesh the 508XD isn't as impressive as I had expected.

I agree, had a look at one at HN. It was next to the 1080p panasonic. Both where running FTA via their internal tuners. I noticed judder on the pio. Also seems the blacker blacks are make the image look worse :wacko: Out of the box the panasonic look good, where the pio I needed to change so may settings to make it comparable. I noticed the text scrolling (end of show credits) jumping around on the pio. I didn't have time to make enough changes to rectify.

I'm having second thoughts.

I agree, had a look at one at HN. It was next to the 1080p panasonic. Both where running FTA via their internal tuners. I noticed judder on the pio. Also seems the blacker blacks are make the image look worse :wacko: Out of the box the panasonic look good, where the pio I needed to change so may settings to make it comparable. I noticed the text scrolling (end of show credits) jumping around on the pio. I didn't have time to make enough changes to rectify.

The setting changes are actually pretty simple - they relate to the fact that film is 24 fps, and pal is 25fps and FTA HD withich is 50hz (or 60 in the states)- given that you have stores that have 3 choices of drive mode and 3 media types the chance of a store getting it right by purely random chance is about 1 in 9.

For some reason the sales dudes seem to be running below what simple odds would indicate - so obviously pioneer need to pick up their game and explain how to use/setup these things to the salesmen.

It is just a single button press to change drive mode.

The thing is - the panasonic cant do 24fps media - so you will always see judder on 24 fps output. At least with pioneer you can press a button and fix it. The reduced functionality actually works in pioneers advantage in a store - there is less the salesmen can get wrong. ;)

Once it has been set up for the various AV sources you have in your home -you can forget most of the worry about setup. (and pioneer do that for you, for free)

If you really want to go the whole hog - you can even pay for ISF setup. Pioneer is just about more choices, thats all.

Edited by brisvegas1

How was the PIO set up otherwise, via HDMI to a blu-ray player or dvd player?? How was that when you viewed it? Was this the 508XDA?

How was the PIO set up otherwise, via HDMI to a blu-ray player or dvd player?? How was that when you viewed it? Was this the 508XDA?

It was HDMI to my surprise but running the FTA channels. It looked disgusting. I'm hoping that this was the signal because all the good screens with HDMI had a blu ray with a loop of their respective company promos. However I don't watch much FTA so I wasn't concerned as much as I want to see what it would look like with my media center plugged into the system and with my FULL HD and HD movies on it :) This was at the specialty store at Bing Lee by the way.

If you really want to go the whole hog - you can even pay for ISF setup. Pioneer is just about more choices, thats all.

I have to disagree here. Having seen it set up beside the Panasonic 1080p set, the differences were not subtle on FTA HD TV. The Pioneer was better in every respect. Not at first glance, but after a few minutes, there was no doubt in my mind

BTW, got quoted $4699 today, best so far.

The thing is - the pioneer cant do 24fps media - so you will always see judder on 24 fps output. At least with pioneer you can press a button and fix it. The reduced functionality actually works in pioneers advantage in a store - there is less the salesmen can get wrong. ;)

Surely you mean the Panasonic cant do 24fps, where-as the pioneer can????? <_<

Surely you mean the Panasonic cant do 24fps, where-as the pioneer can????? <_<

Err... sorry you are right of course. -Self smacks head- ;)

I have to disagree here. Having seen it set up beside the Panasonic 1080p set, the differences were not subtle on FTA HD TV. The Pioneer was better in every respect. Not at first glance, but after a few minutes, there was no doubt in my mind

BTW, got quoted $4699 today, best so far.

I think Pioneer have badly under-estimated the selling power of 1080p. When People are getting 50" Hitachi and Panasonic 1080p panels for $4500 and less

- the Hitachi 1080p was recently on sale for $3999 through various outlets (whether inferior to the Pioneer or not) they are going to find it very hard to sell 508XDA's

even at that price. I guess it all comes down to the hype generated by Sony and others with their 1080p advertising. Most people are going to be asking for a 1080p

panel whether it has a better picture or not.

Think we will see some major price re-structuring by Pioneer in the coming months. A ridiculous $8500 - $9000 RRP for the upcoming LX508 1080p model is

just going to be way too much of a premium for even those after the best to stomach. This pricing is something that would be expected 2 years ago for a 50" panel,

but thankfully for everyone currently in the market it has well and truely passed. 58-65" plasma screens are now starting to approach that price point,

and that's without bringing LCD into the equation!!!

People are prepared to pay some premium for a superior product, but unfortunately I think the premium is being way over estimated at this stage.

Wait and see I guess, Pioneer's sale's figures/profit on plasma in the coming months will show the real story, and if they are on the money with those outdated

prices.

Edited by Tim_

After that post - I know that once I get a Kuro at home, my first thought when I switch it on will be... "Broommm... Broommm!!"

And the first movie? Ronin!

Bit of a summary for my 50" travels!!

Bought a 508XDA from HN $4400 yesterday, install this thursday (wooot 2 days) :wub: . Was between the pana PZ and pioneer...even with excellent prices on the panasonic 50 and 58, the clincher is that the pioneer picture looks 3d even with a crap fta feed. Bluray on the 508XDA was excellent. Upscaled DVD very good.

The panasonic PZ 700 1080s looked very sharp, but very 2D, even with bluray (the anti glare screen isnt doing the picture any favours and it lacks depth IMO). I think a Pana PZ700 1080 without the anitglare screen would be very nice.

In a bright room the PZ's picture gets hammered.

Will be interesting to see what Fujitsu can do with the Hitachi panel, if they end up using it (thinks miracle needed) :wacko: .

If on a budget the Best bang for yr buck is still the P70a.

Edited by superted

hey superted what hn was that? cheers clarky :blush:

It is funny that some stores will go that low and others stick to the $4.7K range. Was this cash or credit card.

Actually our HN doesnt have any Pioneers on display.

Tony

Edited by Peacekeeper

The panasonic PZ 700 1080s looked very sharp, but very 2D, even with bluray (the anti glare screen isnt doing the picture any favours and it lacks depth IMO). I think a Pana PZ700 1080 without the anitglare screen would be very nice.

Glad that another person are being enlightened by the fact that pana 700A antiglare is not a good way to reduce glare :)

IMHO, it is more effective in reducing the picture quality and contrast rather than glare...

Edited by ben1680

Bit of a summary for my 50" travels!!

Bought a 508XDA from HN $4400 yesterday, install this thursday (wooot 2 days) :wub: . Was between the pana PZ and pioneer...even with excellent prices on the panasonic 50 and 58, the clincher is that the pioneer picture looks 3d even with a crap fta feed. Bluray on the 508XDA was excellent. Upscaled DVD very good.

Will be interesting to see what Fujitsu can do with the Hitachi panel, if they end up using it (thinks miracle needed) :wacko: .

If on a budget the Best bang for yr buck is still the P70a.

superted, any chance of sharing the love and scanning that receipt to assist us not so gifted negotiators!

Im not scanning.

Just go in and tell them you will give them $4400 for the panel NOW makes sure YOU can do the deal then and there.

If you try and go lower then that hopping from store to store i think you will surely fail>>>> unless Pioneer drops the RRP to $4999 next monday.

(I know i could'nt get the panel for $4k, that was biting of too much fat....actually it was all the fat and some bone)

Edited by superted

I keep hearing about all these great prices on here but (correct me if im wrong) no evidence from anyone???

Thats not a criticism, just an observation. ;)

Well instead of observing get out there and get one...if you really want one that is.

Well instead of observing get out there and get one...if you really want one that is.

See, you took it as a criticism. I'm actually waiting for the 60" LX so the price doesnt bother me. It was just an observation.

Please correct me if it was wrong.

I can confirm XDZs price was legit at $4400 from Myers. There have been some sus prices in the Pana thread but here we should give all the benefit of the doubt as everyone doesnt want to spread their receipts around, I can understnd their reluctance.

Edited by Peacekeeper

I keep hearing about all these great prices on here but (correct me if im wrong) no evidence from anyone???

Thats not a criticism, just an observation. ;)

http://i21.tinypic.com/2i1dwso.jpg

1 cent for the stand and 1 cent for the speaker.. go figure.

Dont ask me for the full scan. IF your local dealer wont sell you the panel for $4400 cash straight up there is no way they will even with the scan.

Edited by xdZ

See, you took it as a criticism. I'm actually waiting for the 60" LX so the price doesnt bother me. It was just an observation.

Please correct me if it was wrong.

Not criticism

Edited by superted