Sign in to follow this  
laurie

Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

Does anyone know if the side mask detection works with FOXTEL?

No. Only works with HD sources.

hi guys, anybody here had a pio 7th gen panel before your pio 8th gen panel purchase? i want to get your observation if there is a big difference in PQ performance between the two on SD and HD content. I've only had my 427 for some months and i want to know if the improvement is worth the new investment, if not then i will just save up for a full 1080p pio panel in the future.

hi guys, anybody here had a pio 7th gen panel before your pio 8th gen panel purchase? i want to get your observation if there is a big difference in PQ performance between the two on SD and HD content. I've only had my 427 for some months and i want to know if the improvement is worth the new investment, if not then i will just save up for a full 1080p pio panel in the future.

Whilst I haven't seen the Kuro and 507 side by side, I have seen the MX 7th gen alongside the Kuro. Kuro definitely a big improvement however I think this was mostly down to the MX being poorly set up. Lyle on these forums I believe has one and is very happy with it.

I can't imagine it being worthwhile upgrading esp since the 42" is not that competitive compared to the 50". Only way it would be justified is if you wanted to go 50". Might as well wait until the LX models drop in price over the next year, then go for the doctor!

I saw the 427 next to 428 at Myers in Macquarie Centre, Sydney, NSW. Please were connected to the store's HD-DVD player running 1080i component. To my eyes, under store lighting, the clarity of the pictures were the same, however, the 428 colours and black levels were much better. 1 caveat - in not sure what modes either TV were in - Dynamic, Cinema, User?

Comparing the 427 to the other screens in the store, I would say it was up there with the rest of them. I would wait for 1080p pio to come down in price, either this generation or the next and then upgrade.

Cheers.

Can someone pls PM me the AVFORUMS pic settings for the 508XDA and 508LX ? Thanks

A link to the AVSForum settings for the LX508 and 508XDA.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858851

I believe the American Version numbers are :

Pioneer 5080HD = 508XDA

Pioneer Elite 110FD = LX508

I've read some comments regarding the unsuitability of the American Settings in UK Forums, for example NTSC 480i versus PAL 576i, so beware.

Cheers

Edited by InterestedUser

thanks guys for the input, i think im just feeling a little incensed by the fact that i was contemplating on waiting for the new units to come out before buying the 427 but decided otherwise since it was really leading all other panels that i was auditioning and i didnt figure pioneer will be outdoing itself in the new models in the fashion they are advertising now. Unless of course its not really that superior in real life performance (since store lighting and panel settings is drastically different from the conditions in our homes) then i can consider it was still a good deal for me. I noticed that im using lower settings than what we were using in the store audition when i bought the 427, thats why i think i cant rely on the in-store side by side comparison, i figure the best person to ask how far apart their performance is someone who actually owned both and used them in the same home/office.

Quick question, 508XDA.

I was playing around with the settings on the Xbox360, and found that 1080p wasn't working on component. From what I've read, the Pio can receive 1080p/60 over component, and the 360 is supposed ot be able to provide it (for games and, I assume, the dashboard). Pioneer support said that it was the fault of the Xbox, something about an older chipset or something, but I'm not convinced - anyone else tried this?

thanks.

Re 428XDA:

First off, my apologies for my first question here being a repeat of a question that I asked in another thread –I thought that not many Kuro owners may have seen it in the other thread.

Q1: Would any existing Kuro owners who have the 428XDA model like to report on how their panels perform with ABC’s HD FTA when settings are optimised (ABC HD is only 1280x720p). Is the 428XDA comparable to a good quality CRT when viewing ABC?

Q2: Will the 428XDA Kuro continue to be available? This model seems to be available for demo at less & less stores at the moment, and given the lower demand for this size screen in a premium TV, and also Pioneer’s reported financial situation, is it likely that this model may be discontinued fairly soon? I ask this question because there has been talk of Pioneer needing to ‘concentrate on more lucrative markets’ –which is presumably in the higher screen sizes.

Thanks in advance for any replies

A link to the AVSForum settings for the LX508 and 508XDA.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858851

I believe the American Version numbers are :

Pioneer 5080HD = 508XDA

Pioneer Elite 110FD = LX508

I've read some comments regarding the unsuitability of the American Settings in UK Forums, for example NTSC 480i versus PAL 576i, so beware.

Cheers

Question for XDA\LX owners, while watching Sky News\CNN etc (Foxtel\Optus) are the bottom information icons cut ?

No matter what settings I use on Fox or the panel I cannot get the bottom icons to display without cutting the top part of the picture out (ie: vertical pic settings). FTA to is fine. I only notice this issue on Foxtel channels.

Installers said its a Foxtel issue ?

Quick question, 508XDA.

I was playing around with the settings on the Xbox360, and found that 1080p wasn't working on component. From what I've read, the Pio can receive 1080p/60 over component, and the 360 is supposed ot be able to provide it (for games and, I assume, the dashboard). Pioneer support said that it was the fault of the Xbox, something about an older chipset or something, but I'm not convinced - anyone else tried this?

thanks.

I was thinking about buying a Xbox for Xmas, do these issues exist with Xbox over HDMI ?

Re 428XDA:

First off, my apologies for my first question here being a repeat of a question that I asked in another thread –I thought that not many Kuro owners may have seen it in the other thread.

Q1: Would any existing Kuro owners who have the 428XDA model like to report on how their panels perform with ABC’s HD FTA when settings are optimised (ABC HD is only 1280x720p). Is the 428XDA comparable to a good quality CRT when viewing ABC?

Q2: Will the 428XDA Kuro continue to be available? This model seems to be available for demo at less & less stores at the moment, and given the lower demand for this size screen in a premium TV, and also Pioneer’s reported financial situation, is it likely that this model may be discontinued fairly soon? I ask this question because there has been talk of Pioneer needing to ‘concentrate on more lucrative markets’ –which is presumably in the higher screen sizes.

Thanks in advance for any replies

ABC HD looks quite reasonable on my panel and I haven't done any optimisation of the settings yet. It is not quite as sharp as a good 1080 broadcast, but it can look pretty good depending on what is showing. Some of the ABC HD content is just upscaled which will never look amazing.

I don't know if there are any plans to discontinue the 428XDA. I suspect the reason they don't sell as many is because the pricing of the 508 is less than $1000 more once you start bargaining and is arguably better value. I still went for the 428 because it was the right size for my setup.

I don't know if there are any plans to discontinue the 428XDA. I suspect the reason they don't sell as many is because the pricing of the 508 is less than $1000 more once you start bargaining and is arguably better value. I still went for the 428 because it was the right size for my setup.

I was quite amazed at the amount of 428s bought as part of the recent group buy. Like you, many still need a smaller screen to 'fit in' their space. Plus I think Pioneer need to recover as much R&D cost, so they need to spread their cost recovery base through as many products as possible. I see the 42" being around for quite some time yet.

I was thinking about buying a Xbox for Xmas, do these issues exist with Xbox over HDMI ?

No they don't - the Xbox will put out 1080p over HDMI, and it looks sensational on my 508XDA. The only issue I have with the Xbox is the noise it produces. Not such an issue with games, but I have the HD DVD addon and with quieter scenes it can be heard. Advise you to take a look at the Games Consoles threads where there is discussion on some Xbox 360 variants that may run a bit quieter than others.

What calibration settings do people mostly use on Foxtel via component ?

I know its a crap signal, I'm sure it can be improved even a little ?

What calibration settings do people mostly use on Foxtel via component ?

I know its a crap signal, I'm sure it can be improved even a little ?

I don't know if I'm just easily pleased, but I'm continually impressed by Foxtel on the 508. Settings-wise I use pretty much the ones from the avforums for freeview, or if daytime on a sunny day (I have a bright room) I use Optimum.

Not too worried about spending too much time getting the very best settings at this point cos I'm going to be getting an ISF calibration done in January.

I don't know if I'm just easily pleased, but I'm continually impressed by Foxtel on the 508. Settings-wise I use pretty much the ones from the avforums for freeview, or if daytime on a sunny day (I have a bright room) I use Optimum.

Not too worried about spending too much time getting the very best settings at this point cos I'm going to be getting an ISF calibration done in January.

Either I am fussy or I sit too close then :)

Either I am fussy or I sit too close then :)

or your eyesight is better than mine!

Has anyone successfully been able to access the "hours meter" option ? If so how ?

I want to make sure I have 100+ hrs use before the Calibrator arrive next month.

Thanks

Hi All,

To owners of the 428XDA.

Issue: Got the screen yesterday channel 7 displaying some judder(?)/screen-breakup, and a "click/tick" noise when channel 7 is selected. :(

Pioneer installer said I needed an antenna booster(???). I'll be buying one tomorrow, but am a bit perplexed as to why only channel 7 is playing up. Can that be an antenna/signal issue?

Has/is anyone experiencing the same?

Thanks.

Check the Signal Strength using the info button on the remote if you are using the internal tuner. If it is only one channel then probably the direction your antenna is pointing.

Has anyone successfully been able to access the "hours meter" option ? If so how ?

I want to make sure I have 100+ hrs use before the Calibrator arrive next month.

Thanks

Thanks

i got this from the avs forum, but i'm not sure what the DISPLAY button means on the remote

Pioneer service menu (how to check for hours on your panel)

To check the hours on your plasma, go into the Service Menu

Start with the plasma turned OFF

Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold)

Wait 3 seconds

Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed

Then use the down arrow to page through to page 5

PANEL = the time the set has been on

MTB = the time the set has been plugged in

When you finish press the HOME MENU button

BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE ANY SETTINGS! JUST LOOK!

i got this from the avs forum, but i'm not sure what the DISPLAY button means on the remote

Pioneer service menu (how to check for hours on your panel)

To check the hours on your plasma, go into the Service Menu

Start with the plasma turned OFF

Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold)

Wait 3 seconds

Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed

Then use the down arrow to page through to page 5

PANEL = the time the set has been on

MTB = the time the set has been plugged in

When you finish press the HOME MENU button

BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE ANY SETTINGS! JUST LOOK!

Tried it already, when I first saw it.

Didn't work for me :(

Started getting the picture breaking up yesterday on my 508XDA and I thought WTF?

Anyhow - turned out this was due to the Christmas tree lights in the next room. Every time the lights went on and off - BZZT - picture breakup. Turned the lights off at the wall and no problems. If you do start seeing reception issues at the moment you might want to check out if anything is arcing in the house - or whether you're living next to Clark Griswold's light display.

Getting some LED lights today!

Edited by foovo