Sign in to follow this  
laurie

Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

That's pretty much what I think. I could have spent 6 months fartarseing around with the settings and never being satisfied, but now I know that the Tv looks as good as it possibly can with the sources I have. It's like a permanent "do not adjust your set" sign - if the picture's crap, it's either because 7 are rebroadcasting AFL from Foxtel, or it's a limitation of the TV or source equipment that's probably completely outside of my control (or perhaps the result of a compromise that had to be made). For example, you can optimise vertical scrolling text or horizontal scrolling text, but not both.

Whatever, I don't make any adjustments, because I know that whatever I do won't be an improvement. If I'd done it myself, with my limited skill, I still be wondering.

I purchased my 50 inch XDA on April 18th 08 and just yesterday was finally able to make it into the service menu to check the hours. Mine is showing 612 hours. Does this seem a lot for roughly 60 days of ownership? My partner finished up work that day (April 18th) as she is pregnant and she and I both have been watching heaps of movies and free to air tv on it. I was just surprised that the hours seem a little high.

Anyone else care to share how long you've had your tv for and the hours of use?

Cheers,

Hogie

Does anyone else have this problem:

When i switch the 508xda off using the remote control, sometimes when i use the remote to turn it back on, it won't work. Instead I have to physically go push the power button on the tv itself off then on again before the remote would work.

Am i doing something wrong?

What happen to mine (remote control) is that changing favourite channels up and down doesn't work. This happens occasionally.

I find that if I toggle the subtitle functions (with remote) and then change favourite channels again it works.

Maybe you might try toggling subtitle and see iif t solves your problem.

Cabernet

I purchased my 50 inch XDA on April 18th 08 and just yesterday was finally able to make it into the service menu to check the hours. Mine is showing 612 hours. Does this seem a lot for roughly 60 days of ownership? My partner finished up work that day (April 18th) as she is pregnant and she and I both have been watching heaps of movies and free to air tv on it. I was just surprised that the hours seem a little high.

Cheers,

Hogie

Wouldn't say it's too high (10 hrs p/day) considering as you said your partner is pregnant. Not much more to do when there's a baby baking away :P (congratulations BTW). I'll be getting ours installed tomorrow morning, so today's gonna be the longest of days in a while.

I'm sure our 508 will cop a hammering of hours in the initial months. Just gotta find a suitable media centre to replace the XBMC which I've been using the last few years.

I guess you're right that 10 hrs per day would be about right. On the bright side I don't have to worry so much about the initial 200 hrs break in period now!

how to add a subwoofer directly to 508XDA?

I have a home theatre subwoofer (JBL PB10) which is currently connected up to my Denon receiver via LFE output.

I'd like to also use the subwoofer output directly from the Pioneer 508 to enjoy deep bass without having to switch on the whole receiver setup occasionally.

q: is it okay to just run a suitable cable from the TV's subwoofer output straight into my JBL's LFE input? (the JBL has 2 LFE inputs). A concern I have is that the sub's instruction manual says only an LFE feed should be fed into the subwoofer.

q: is there any way to adjust the relative volume of the subwoofer output on the TV? I can't seem to find anything aside from the 'bass' level

thanks n cheers

Satz

Cheers,

Hogie

When I checked the hours on my set after having it for 35 days (installed on the 24 April) it had 475 hours. I nearly fell over.Most of the hours have been run up by the wife who is at home on Maternity leave( we have a 7 month old). Im not game to check the hours again.

Im curious as to how this will effect my power bill. I had a 52" DLP rear pro before hand.

I have noticed my set is getting a fair amount of "banding" recently. I have used AVS forums "Bumptious" settings from day one.

Hey guys, i'm just having a bit of a prob with my 608, for some reason when i'm watching sports if there is slow movement going on and the cam is still, ill notice a change in the movement of people, kind of like it is slow and then lines will go through the picture. Is this a problem with what drive mode i have it on. When I change the mode to sports it seems to fix this problem completely. The problem only occurs when I have the tv set on optimum.

Any help would be appreciated!

With the 508XDA I was wondering whether there's a way to organise the channels to a format I'm more used to (ie, bs,2,7,,9,10 then HD etc).

Also, can you delete channels? I've searched through the manual and tried and haven't come up with anything.

Because what's annoying, is that it's tuned in the channels, and there's a few of the same channels with with the same number (ie 30 for sbs hd). I've added the strongest channels to the Favourites and it scrolls through them fine, however on some of the channels if I key in the channel directly then it seems to pickup a weaker channel? As in with the SBS channels for instance. If I key in 30 etc then I receive a choppy jittered station, however if I scroll through with the program up/down key it'll pick up the one I added to the Favourites giving a clear station.

On my old SD STB I could just delete off the unwanted channels then rearrange them to a more logical ordering.

Use the Favourite function. I got mine set up for all the HD channels ie Channels 1, 20, 30, 70, 90. Then scroll the channels using the "Up" "Down" buttons.

If the favourite channel (eg 30) is jittery, untick that channel and select the next (30) channel.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Cabernet

With the 508XDA I was wondering whether there's a way to organise the channels to a format I'm more used to (ie, bs,2,7,,9,10 then HD etc).

Also, can you delete channels? I've searched through the manual and tried and haven't come up with anything.

Because what's annoying, is that it's tuned in the channels, and there's a few of the same channels with with the same number (ie 30 for sbs hd). I've added the strongest channels to the Favourites and it scrolls through them fine, however on some of the channels if I key in the channel directly then it seems to pickup a weaker channel? As in with the SBS channels for instance. If I key in 30 etc then I receive a choppy jittered station, however if I scroll through with the program up/down key it'll pick up the one I added to the Favourites giving a clear station.

On my old SD STB I could just delete off the unwanted channels then rearrange them to a more logical ordering.

Use the Favourite function. I got mine set up for all the HD channels ie Channels 1, 20, 30, 70, 90. Then scroll the channels using the "Up" "Down" buttons.

If the favourite channel (eg 30) is jittery, untick that channel and select the next (30) channel.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Cabernet

Thanks for that. I've got it setup that way already, except also had the SD's in the Fav's. Suppose I just need to learn new habits or grab another Set top box in time. Other than that, the screen's amazing. Took a couple of days to get used to the size of it in the living room.

You will get used to the size soon enough. One of these days you will be itching for the 60 ".

Don't forget to get the software upgrade for the SBS sync problem.

Regards

Cabernet

Thanks for that. I've got it setup that way already, except also had the SD's in the Fav's. Suppose I just need to learn new habits or grab another Set top box in time. Other than that, the screen's amazing. Took a couple of days to get used to the size of it in the living room.

You will get used to the size soon enough. One of these days you will be itching for the 60 ".

Don't forget to get the software upgrade for the SBS sync problem.

Regards

Cabernet

I've been having a look at the SBS sync thread. Haven't noticed any problems so far on it. Will keep an eye out though. Think I might be waiting a long time for the 60" lol. Took 5 months of subtle and not so subtle 'whinging' to the wife to get this! She's starting to get annoyed now with my new 'subtle' hints for BR player, PVR etc. I think I've done my dash in that department :D

Hey man talk about instantaneous reply. Don't you do any work? :rolleyes:

If you watch SBS at all you cannot failed to notice the constant "blackout". Just ring up Pioneer and get the upgrade.

While you are at it also complain of the Subtitles positioning.

I don't think BR player is really necessary. Upscaling DVD is good enough.

Regards

Cabernet

I've been having a look at the SBS sync thread. Haven't noticed any problems so far on it. Will keep an eye out though. Think I might be waiting a long time for the 60" lol. Took 5 months of subtle and not so subtle 'whinging' to the wife to get this! She's starting to get annoyed now with my new 'subtle' hints for BR player, PVR etc. I think I've done my dash in that department :D

Hey man talk about instantaneous reply. Don't you do any work? :rolleyes:

If you watch SBS at all you cannot failed to notice the constant "blackout". Just ring up Pioneer and get the upgrade.

While you are at it also complain of the Subtitles positioning.

I don't think BR player is really necessary. Upscaling DVD is good enough.

Regards

Cabernet

Hahaha. Got home a short while ago. Back at uni these days so living the students life for the next couple of years (after 20 years doing the hard yards). Pulled out Ice Age the other night and that looked awsome. Just clocking up the hours to make some adjustments after it gets past 200 hrs. Difficult to study in that room now with the big kahuna screen constantly taking my attention away :P

Just gonna spend some time configuring this Logitech Remote so the coffee table doesn't look like its tiled in remotes!

New to this forum but have been following for some time.

I am in the process of trying to decide between the 428xda and the Pana 42pz700. After spending alot of time viewing both screens under showroom conditions I have become frustrated at not being able to view fast moving sports ie AFL .

I have been into most stores whilst a game is being broadcast but the pictures are just not good enough to be able to judge the sets true ability with regards to motion. It must be pointed out that in my opinion most sets just don't handle motion very well at all, particularly when the camera pans out and the players in the back ground are just a blurr (can't reed the number on the jumper). The pixellation of the players moving accross the grass drives me mad.

Both sets handle all other types of broadcast very well but it is the issue of motion that I put the most emphasis on.

I would not bother at all if the quality was not the same or very close to the picture I am currently getting from my CRT.

I can get both sets for around 2K and sit 2.5 to 5m from the set.

Can anyone help with regards to these issues.

I have the 428 Pioneer and watch both the HD channels and Foxtel. I sit 3m away and haven't had any problems of severe pixellation for any of the sports, union, league and AFL. I did notice some large pixellation in AFL, but wonder if that is broadcast related, but it is very rare occurance.

I too was tossing up b/w the Pio and Pana, but went the Pio based on five year warranty , I think the Pana had matt screen that put me off too.

Thanks andrew555.

The 428 looks fantastic in all other aspects but I am still concerned with motion pixellation.

None of the stores seem that interested in receiving a good reception so that one can judge just how good these sets are with motion.

Last Saturday in Harvey Norman they had close to a hundred sets showing the AFL and rugby, none of which displayed a picture that would convince you to buy. The sales guy just says that the picture would be much better when installed at home.

How can you choose/buy on that advice?

I will have to rely on current owners thoughts.

I do not have Fox.

Does anyone use a DVD recorder with a HD (not with a digital tuner) together with the 428 and if so what is picture like when played back?

Had my LX508 calibrated by Aaron from Avical yesterday. I can't say enough how well the money was spent. Aaron took the time to explain many things regarding calibration and plasma technology and was just a really nice guy. Higly recommended

I don't know if it's just me, but I used to set my TV channels (HD channels using Kuro's internal turner) on Drive Mode 1, Cinema mode - Off,

But then I changed to Drive Mode 1, Cinema Mode - Standard, and I notice there's a bit of improvement in judder during fast horizontal movement.

Do you think it's just me?

By the way, I also tried Drive Mode 3, but the colour tone changed straight away after I switched to 3, it becomes a tad washed out, so I will never use 3. But I don't notice anything changing from 1 to 2 or vice versa.

Hahaha. Got home a short while ago. Back at uni these days so living the students life for the next couple of years (after 20 years doing the hard yards). Pulled out Ice Age the other night and that looked awsome. Just clocking up the hours to make some adjustments after it gets past 200 hrs. Difficult to study in that room now with the big kahuna screen constantly taking my attention away :P

Just gonna spend some time configuring this Logitech Remote so the coffee table doesn't look like its tiled in remotes!

Can someone tell me how program a Logitech remote to turn on the plasma and the AVR BUT have the TV set itself to mute so that I don't get ANY sound out of the 508xda speakers?

Then when one turns it off all goes back to normal so that if one turns on the TV without the AVR the mute is not set?

Can someone tell me how program a Logitech remote to turn on the plasma and the AVR BUT have the TV set itself to mute so that I don't get ANY sound out of the 508xda speakers?

Then when one turns it off all goes back to normal so that if one turns on the TV without the AVR the mute is not set?

Hey Lyle,

Review the activity you have set for AVR & Plasma, and when you get to the Custom actions screen add an extra action for the plasma "when the activity starts" to send the Mute command and same again as another action for "when the activity stops".

Presumably the second scenario is set to a separate activity so it will not have the Custom action to send Mute setup for it.

hi guys im just looking to buy something at the moment and can get a 428xda for $2200, do you think it's worth it if i can get a fullHD LCD for the same price? It's mainly for watching sports, FTA tv, and a few dvds.

I think the pioneer is probably a better screen at the moment but don't want to have to buy something new i a couple of years because all the inputs are HD, what do you think?

doesn't anyone bother to read previous posts .. ???

and I quote again from a few days ago ...

As reported in another thread on DVE and 508XDA calibration, I had Aaron from Avical round last week to do an ISF calibration on my 508XDA. As usual, he did a very thorough job and I was quite happy with the service.

I have made a couple of changes to my system with the recent addition of a 60GB PS3 and reverting to the Sony 955 DVD in lieu of the Oppo (menu and remote not user friendly enough for rest of family). Anyway, I was keen to get the whole thing set up right and to see how good the PS3 could be. This is the second panel that I have had done and four inputs were calibrated, including internal digital tuner, DVD (component), Foxtel (component), and PS3 (HDMI). I will add a DVD/HDD recorder (HDMI) in a few weeks which obviously won't be calibrated.

Initial impressions are very good although I haven't really spent enough time at it yet given that we were away for the weekend. Had a look at my first Blu-Ray last night (some crappy action film) and was very impressed with the quality (not the film). As part of the calibration, Aaron checked whether the DVD was better at scaling than the panel and the panel won out. It was the reverse with the PS3, in fact the quality of the PS3 was outstanding. Calibration generally resulted in minor changes to colour detail and management settings however the contrast setting was higher than I had adjusted it to using DVE.

As an indication, the settings that I have for the internal tuner are as listed below. Your settings will vary of course, particularly for other devices. DVE is a good start, but if you want it done properly I recommend that you get your panel properly calibrated.

AV Selection User

Contrast +41

Brightness 0

Colour +3

Tint 0

Sharpness -3

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema Film Mode/text Optimisation Off

Intelligent Mode Off

Picture Detail

DRE Picture Low

Black level On

ACL Off

Enhancer Mode 2

Gamma 2

Colour Detail

Colout Temp Manual

R high -4

G high 0

B high -5

R Low +1

G Low +1

B Low -1

CTI On

Colur Management

Red 0

Yellow +1

Green 0

Cyan -1

Blue 0

Magenta -1

Colour Space 1

Drive Mode 1

mjs

hey mjs

just trying out your settings what were your noise settings do you know?

Hey Lyle,

Review the activity you have set for AVR & Plasma, and when you get to the Custom actions screen add an extra action for the plasma "when the activity starts" to send the Mute command and same again as another action for "when the activity stops".

Presumably the second scenario is set to a separate activity so it will not have the Custom action to send Mute setup for it.

It's funny, the first time I looked I could not see that option but sure enough you are right it is there.

Not sure whether to have the TV mute again on leaving or not. There is no unmute. Whether turning the power off would do it automatically is unclear. So I've programmed it that way and will try it.

The thing though is that, of course the remote is over at her house, so I have to and get it, bring it back here and programme it, and then take it back there to try it out.

Thanks for the help.