Sign in to follow this  
laurie

Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

I'm jumping in a bit early, but my 508 is coming tomorrow morn betwen 8 and 10. Reckon that nearly qualikfies me to post in the owners thread!

It has been a long wait (3 months), and I have the xbox 360+ HD addon and oppo 981 all ready to go, and a zillion DVDs to relive.

Not long now!

Well done nearly interested to hear your comments and hopefully a few pics!! make sure you are completely happy before signing off any paper work from Pioneer

cheers laurie

G'day to the lucky few owners out there. Reading through this i see a few of you plan to or are using an xbox 360 on your 508. This is something i plan on doing, but through a series of conversations i am really getting concerned about image retention. What made you leap in? how long do you plan to play your xbox for, the guy at JB said it shouldn't be a prob, but... Is there any advice you can offer, i would really appreciate it, i am planning on spending some quality time on live with Halo 3, and i don't want to have that in the back of my mind. Sorry for those of you who are reading this accusing me of not being an owner, but i don't know where else to ask, this seemed most appropriate. Thanks in advance guys!!

Has anyone got a list of calibration settings they use which gives good results ? (Other than those posted on www.avguide.com)

Has anyone got a list of calibration settings they use which gives good results ? (Other than those posted on www.avguide.com)

Hi peter,

If you visit http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544315 they have a bunch of discussion (if that is an appropriate term) about the 8th Generation Pioneers, a lot of it with settings advice and argument. Ch-ch-ch-ch-check-it-out.

What drive mode settings are you guys running?

cheers laurie

I've got mine on Drive Mode 2.

I found that having it on drive mode 1 or 3 created jutter but on certain scenes I still notice jutter, it's very minor and no way as bad as the other modes.

It'll be interesting to see what others think.

Is anybody using a HD STB with there new Pioneer?

If so do you think it makes a difference to the picture and does it speed up channel changing?

Thanks.. Oscar

bump ... for Iceman

Oh, and also because I'm waiting for my installation call from Pioneer ... :D

I don't know about everybody else, but i have not found the 508 as 'astounding' as it is supposed to be. I have tried all differnt combination and found that:

- full screen motion is juttery no matter what setting you have it on (ie full screen panning, not just somebody moving their hand).

- moving text is crap eg on the bottom of the news where they show the latest news updates

- the TV cannot handle reds. They become very pixelated when there is a considerable amount of red on the screen

- cannot handle motor racing. The image look like they morph from across the screen and the motion is not fluid at all.

- again with the reds, the vodafone racing red looks like fluoro pink and it cannot display this properly.

The TV does have great blacks and vibrant colours, but compared to a CRT TV, you get motion sickness. This is on both HD and SD. Sure the pictures look fantastic when there is not much happening onthe screen, but lets face it movies these days are action packed with heaps of motion and this TV falters in this department. Thing is, i don't know if there is a plasma/LCD out there that does handle these things, but you would expect that it should be better than CRT, not worse...

For Iceman and others, FWIW here are most of my current 50XDA settings from using DVE where relevant.

AV Selection Standard

Colour 34

Brightness +1

Colour +5

Tint +1

Sharpness -2

Pure Cinema Off

Intelligent Mode Off

DRe Off

Black level Off

ACL Off

Enhancer Mode 2

Gamma 2

Colour Mid-Low

Colour Space 1

YMMV

These setting apply across all inputs as I have selected a "pre-programmed" AV setting, in my case "Standard". You can just as easily select "User" and individually adjust each input, including DTV (so some posters' comments on the lack of ability to adjust the DTV input are ill-informed). So, really the panel is completely adjustable if you want to get into it. From experience with my previous panel, I would recommend an ISF calibration after some hours usage. I intend to do this, but will wait until the panel has a bit more usage.

Quintessence, I'm sorry but my experience is totally at odds with yours. What are your settings? Don't mean to be rude, but do you actually have this panel?

The TV does have great blacks and vibrant colours, but compared to a CRT TV, you get motion sickness.

Maybe you will suffer from motion sickness in front of any large screen. Some people do. There is a whole thread devoted to the subject around here somewhere.

Before you lambast this plasma, or any plasma, for this problem perhaps you should try sitting in front of a 50 inch CRT (if you can find one).

Wrt to ISF calibration, one usually has this done after 100+ hours.

I have hooked up mine 508XDA with a Pioneer DV-400V-S DVD player. I have connected through a HDMI cable. I have turned on the options for 'Power of control' and 'Power on ready' per the manual on page 68 using the correct input 3.

When I turn the power off from the remote for the 508XDA nothing happens to the DVD player and vice versa.

What am I doing wrong? Has anybody else been able to make it work?

Edited by Iceman

If so do you think it makes a difference to the picture and does it speed up channel changing?

Thanks.. Oscar

I'd like to know this also...

(chrissyoscar @ Oct 25 2007, 09:45 AM)

Thanks.. Oscar

I'd like to know this also...
I went to see the XDA at Klapp this arvo and i asked to see it on free to air which was done using the built in tuner which looked great but then he said if you connect it to an external tuner you would get a sharper picture so he switched it over to an external tuner which he said was a cheapo reconditioned one for about $150 and you could see the difference with the picture as it looked a bit sharper.

I have read a few comments that the picture looks a bit soft so i suppose for a little bit extra you can get an external tuner but to my eye the internal tuner still looks good to me but i am no expert on these things

The last quote answers the question about the stb but not channel changing.

There was also a review that said the Pioneer 508XDA had a better picture when hooked up to a Topfield 7000.

I'm waiting a little longer till prices come down for a PVR, looking at a Topfield 7000 or Beyonwiz. After just spending $7000 on the new Plasma, cables, PS3 and woofer I don't think the wife will approve another big purchase anytime soon.

I got a 508XDA, I have found the tuner to be quite good. Are you guys getting good signal?

Don't get me wrong the TV is great but if an external tuner can give it a slightly better picture then I'll get one.

I'm interested in a good PVR so that'll be my next purchase.

I don't know if you will see the improvement in picture quality but if you want the PVR function then you don't have many options.

Only thing I don't like about the built in tuner is that you can not change the order or delete unwanted traffic/news/shopping channels on your channel list.

I got a 508XDA, I have found the tuner to be quite good. Are you guys getting good signal?

Good to see you took the plung and got the Pioneer, I'm sure you haven't regretted doing so.

What settings are you using?

I'm using the settings from the UK AVforum but found that the contrast levels where to low so I have increased it to 50.

I was reading a thread on the UK AVforum about calibration settings for an American LX508 and the guy wanted to know if they were good for the UK LX.

The advise given was that the US LX model was made to suit the US market and the calibration settings look **** on the UK LX model.

This made me think if the Aussie model is also different.

What settings are Pioneer owners using, the UK, US or there own setting?

I have not played around witht the picture settings at all. I am very happy with the settings out of the box. I have just left at the optimum settings.

I will do a bit of reading on the UK AVForum and threads here to see if these settings make a difference.

Did you buy the 50' LX series?

I have not played around witht the picture settings at all. I am very happy with the settings out of the box. I have just left at the optimum settings.

I will do a bit of reading on the UK AVForum and threads here to see if these settings make a difference.

Did you buy the 50' LX series?

I got the 508xda but it was interesting reading about the difference between the UK and US LX models and figured it might also apply to the XDA models

Good to see you took the plung and got the Pioneer, I'm sure you haven't regretted doing so.

What settings are you using?

I'm using the settings from the UK AVforum but found that the contrast levels where to low so I have increased it to 50.

I was reading a thread on the UK AVforum about calibration settings for an American LX508 and the guy wanted to know if they were good for the UK LX.

The advise given was that the US LX model was made to suit the US market and the calibration settings look **** on the UK LX model.

This made me think if the Aussie model is also different.

What settings are Pioneer owners using, the UK, US or there own setting?

I'm using the 'D65 HDMI' HD settings from the UK AVforum for the Xbox360 with HD addon, and they work wonders for that input., but haven't settled on anything yet for FTA or Foxtel or standard def DVD. There are many sets of settings on that forum, and I've tried the Freeview and also SKY SD Scart but don't think either of those is ideal.

Which one(s) from that forum are you using for which input sources?

I'm using the 'D65 HDMI' HD settings from the UK AVforum for the Xbox360 with HD addon, and they work wonders for that input., but haven't settled on anything yet for FTA or Foxtel or standard def DVD. There are many sets of settings on that forum, and I've tried the Freeview and also SKY SD Scart but don't think either of those is ideal.

Which one(s) from that forum are you using for which input sources?

I have the following settings for now.

. . . . . . . . . .Foxtel . . . . . . . . . . . .DVD . . . . . . . . .FTA

. . . . . . .Scart to Component . . . . HDMI

Settings . . . .User . . . . . . . . . . . .Movie . . . . . . .Standard

Contrast . . . .+32 . . . . . . . . . . . . .+50 . . . . . . . . .+50

Brightness . . +6 . . . . . . . . . . . . .+5 . . . . . . . . . .+15

Color . . . . . . .-2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . +2 . . . . . . . . . . .-10

Tint . . . . . . . . .0 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1green . . . . . . . .0

Sharpness . . . .-6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . -12 . . . . . . . . . .-14

As you can see they vary greatly and I still think I need to play around with the FTA settings. I tend to see a lot of brown in the picture and have had my father in law comment about it.

I wont bother playing around with Foxtel anymore as it's average quality and I'm happy with the way DVD's look.

I've adjusted all the other settings according to the UK forum.

I purchased a PS3 the other day but haven't changed any settings for that input. I'll try the UKforums settings for Blu-Ray etc soon.

Edited by chrissyoscar

Here some settings which you guys might like to try.

8G D65 LX Settings.

********************************************************************************

You can adjust sharpness and saturation to suit but don't alter colour temp or colour management away from the settings below.

********************************************************************************

For SKY HD, PS3, Blue Ray or HD/DVD (BLUE RAY, PS3 OR HD/DVD YOU NEED TO ADJUST PURE CINEMA)

(SKY HD SET PURE CINEMA TO OFF)

AV SELECTION ***MOVIE***

CONTRAST 34

BRIGHTNESS 0

COLOUR -2

TINT +2 Towards Green

SHARPNESS -15

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA

FILM MODE OFF (BLUE RAY/HD DVD Smooth or Advanced)

TEXT OPTIMISATION OFF

INTELIGENT MODE OFF

PICTURE DETAIL

DRE OFF (Med if you prefer)

BLACK LEVEL OFF

ACL OFF

ENHANCER MODE 1

GAMMA 3

COLOUR DETAIL MANUAL (HOLD ENTER FOR 3 SECS)

COLOUR TEMP

R High -2

G High 0

B High +2

R Low 0

G Low 0

B Low 0

CTI OFF

COLOUR MANAGEMENT

R 0

Y 0

G 0

c 0

B 0

M -8

COLOUR SPACE 1

If you're using a PS3 via HDMI with this TV, there is a bug that will destroy shadow and highlight details if you have "RGB Full Range" enabled in the PS3's display settings. I won't go into the technical details as to why, but to set up your PS3 properly with this TV, you should go to:

1: Settings > Display Settings > RGB Full Range (HDMI) set it to "Full"

2: Settings > BD/DVD Settings > BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) and change it to "RGB"

3: TV Menu > Option > HDMI Input > Video and change it from "Auto" to "Colour-4"

After a second or two, you should see the image change to a lower contrast, and far more accurate image.

NOISE REDUCTION

Field NR OFF

All others OFF

OTHERS

IP MODE 2

8G D65 HDMI Settings.

These settings should be applied to the letter, you can adjust sharpness and saturation to suit but don't alter colour temp or colour mangement away from the settings below.

For SKY HD, PS3, Blue Ray or HD/DVD (BLUE RAY, PS3 OR HD/DVD YOU NEED TO ADJUST PURE CINEMA)

(SKY HD SET PURE CINEMA TO OFF)

AV SELECTION ***MOVIE***

CONTRAST 30

BRIGHTNESS 0

COLOUR -2

TINT +2 Towards Green

SHARPNESS -15

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA

FILM MODE OFF (BLUE RAY/HD DVD Smooth or Advanced)

TEXT OPTIMISATION OFF

INTELIGENT MODE OFF

PICTURE DETAIL

DRE OFF (Low if you prefer)

BLACK LEVEL OFF

ACL OFF

ENHANCER MODE 2 (1 if you prefer)

GAMMA 2

COLOUR TEMP

R High -2

G High 0

B High +2

R Low -1

G Low 0

B Low -1

CTI OFF

COLOUR MANAGEMENT

R 0

Y 0

G 0

c 0

B 0

M -7

COLOUR SPACE 1

If you're using a PS3 via HDMI with this TV, there is a bug that will destroy shadow and highlight details if you have "RGB Full Range" enabled in the PS3's display settings. I won't go into the technical details as to why, but to set up your PS3 properly with this TV, you should go to:

1: Settings > Display Settings > RGB Full Range (HDMI) set it to "Full"

2: Settings > BD/DVD Settings > BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) and change it to "RGB"

3: TV Menu > Option > HDMI Input > Video and change it from "Auto" to "Colour-4"

After a second or two, you should see the image change to a lower contrast, and far more accurate image.

NOISE REDUCTION

Field NR OFF

All others OFF

OTHERS

IP MODE 1

8G Freeview Settings

**********Freeview**************

MENU > PICTURE MENU

AV SELECTION USER

CONTRAST 27

BRIGHTNESS 0

COLOUR -8

TINT 0

SHARPNESS -15

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA

FILM MODE OFF

TEXT OPTIMISATION OFF

INTELIGENT MODE OFF

PICTURE DETAIL

DRE OFF (Low if you prefer)

BLACK LEVEL OFF

ACL OFF

ENHANCER MODE 2

GAMMA 1

COLOUR TEMP

R High +2

G High -2

B High -14

R Low +1

G Low 0

B Low -1

CTI OFF

COLOUR MANAGEMENT

R 0

Y +1

G 0

c 0

B 0

M -2

COLOUR SPACE 1

NOISE REDUCTION

Field NR OFF

All others OFF

OTHERS

IP MODE 1

8G X Box VGA Settings

**********X BOX VGA***********

MENU > PICTURE MENU

AV SELECTION USER

contrast 34

brightness 0

red +3

green 0

blue -16

8G Shop Demo Settings

If you are daunted by the number of adjustments just use the first ones to start with.

They are simple and just slightly ammend the out of box settings but MUST be made or things will look overcooked and juddery.

Once the set beds in and you get used to it use the advanced settings.

If you are going to see one in a shop take this with you and ensure that the at least the first settings are used and insist on having the remote unless the sets have been properly set up.

Once you get your set home the pixels will appear lively and the picture may look a bit redy blue, this is normal and will settle within a week.

*******SHOP DEMO/BASIC HOME SETTINGS*********

Leave everything alone except:

PRESS MENU AND SELECT PICTURE MENU

AV SELECTION STANDARD (Have this set for all inputs, it uses the same settings)

CONTRAST 36

BRIGHTNESS 0

COLOUR +4

TINT 0

SHARPNESS -4

********To make sure there is no judder*********

MAIN MENU > PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA

FILM MODE OFF

TEXT OPTIMISATION OFF

Menu > Picture > Pro Adjust > Colour Management > Colour Space 2

Menu > Picture > Pro Adjust > Colour Management > Colour Detail Mid-Low

PRESS MENU > OPTIONS >

SCROLL DOWN TO SECOND SCREEN

DRIVE MODE 2

********WHEN YOU GET YOUR SET HOME ONLY*********

BLUE LED DIMMER SET TO WHATEVER YOU FANCY--LOOK AT THE INCORRECT AMUSING DESCRIPTIONS

ORBITER UP TO YOU (MINE IS OFF)

PUSH MENU & SCROLL TO OPTIONS MENU

AUTO SIZE WIDE ZOOM

SIDE MASK

DETECTION ON

BRIGHTNESS SYNC FIXED

IF THE INPUT IS AN HDMI SET TO ENABLE

SIGNAL TYPE VIDEO

VIDEO AUTO

AUDIO AUTO

I don't know if you will see the improvement in picture quality but if you want the PVR function then you don't have many options.

Only thing I don't like about the built in tuner is that you can not change the order or delete unwanted traffic/news/shopping channels on your channel list.

Hi Iceman

Care to expand on the problems with the channel listings? Surely you do not mean that you are stuck with all the channels that the tuner picks up!!