Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

Having just cleared all my Autoscanned channels (Picked up duplicates of every channel due to getting bad signal from Gore Hill, and better from Kings Cross)

and re-entered them Manually using the codes from

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?remember=0...mp;recLocation=

the overall performance is significantly improved.

Suggest anyone with any coverage issues use manual scan

I did this as well. Highly recommended!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just had a technician come out yesterday about the buzzing! I told him it's only a week old and he had listen to the buzzing. Its pretty loud when you listen to it upclose ( he listened from the back of the panel) and he said it was normal!! he wouldn't give me a replacement saying it would be the same if he did. He even said that all pioneer plasmas and other branded plasmas all buzz. Its b?S as i've read that alot of people here have no noise on their 508XDA. By the way I watch a lot of movies and horror movies and buzz just kills the experience. The technician says that i have really sensitive ears as normal people wouldn't normally all the buzz that i'm hearing, what b/s

just had a technician come out yesterday about the buzzing! I told him it's only a week old and he had listen to the buzzing. Its pretty loud when you listen to it upclose ( he listened from the back of the panel) and he said it was normal!! he wouldn't give me a replacement saying it would be the same if he did. He even said that all pioneer plasmas and other branded plasmas all buzz. Its b?S as i've read that alot of people here have no noise on their 508XDA. By the way I watch a lot of movies and horror movies and buzz just kills the experience. The technician says that i have really sensitive ears as normal people wouldn't normally all the buzz that i'm hearing, what b/s

Go to a shop, see if the TV's buzz. if not, call pioneer tell them to come to the shop and experience that their TV's should not be buzzing and then if they don't replace the TV take it the matter to fair trading.

Hi Jammyfox

Where are you?

I'm in Adelaide, and the tech that looked at mine was a bit like that too, although he did say that he was going to recommend changing some boards inside.

Doesn't sound like your guy was particularly helpful really. There should at least be some consistency with their tech responses.

I'm surprised that they let someone come out to you with only a week on it.

I was told they would like to see 200hrs on the panel before making an assessment.

Don't give up and keep at them.

Bob

Hi Jammyfox

Where are you?

I'm in Adelaide, and the tech that looked at mine was a bit like that too, although he did say that he was going to recommend changing some boards inside.

Doesn't sound like your guy was particularly helpful really. There should at least be some consistency with their tech responses.

I'm surprised that they let someone come out to you with only a week on it.

I was told they would like to see 200hrs on the panel before making an assessment.

Don't give up and keep at them.

Bob

I'm from melbourne. As well as the buzzing I just found a pixel that's not quite dead. It doesn't turn on as quickly as other pixels. When part of a scene goes into a black background then into to a colored one, there is a 2 second delay for it to turn on. It might die completely in a couple of months. But that's only one pixel problem and its not a dead or stuck pixel, doubt pioneer are going to replace it because of that.

I'm from melbourne. As well as the buzzing I just found a pixel that's not quite dead. It doesn't turn on as quickly as other pixels. When part of a scene goes into a black background then into to a colored one, there is a 2 second delay for it to turn on. It might die completely in a couple of months. But that's only one pixel problem and its not a dead or stuck pixel, doubt pioneer are going to replace it because of that.

It might also get better with time, but you never know.

I have heard of Pioneer screens being replaced when only 1 pixel defective, but this was discovered on delivery i think, and was an LX608.

As you have a couple of things that you are concerned about, i guess it gives you a better chance.

Don't let them fob you off and keep hounding them until they listen.

Bob

It might also get better with time, but you never know.

I have heard of Pioneer screens being replaced when only 1 pixel defective, but this was discovered on delivery i think, and was an LX608.

As you have a couple of things that you are concerned about, i guess it gives you a better chance.

Don't let them fob you off and keep hounding them until they listen.

Bob

I had mine replaced with 2 dead pixels. They were next to eachother and i could see them from 3 metres away (great eyes!!) so they could not deny it as that is what is stated in their manual. I have a 508XDA

Hi folks,

Gee, I was getting pretty keen on the 508XDA now that the street price has dropped to the low $3000 mark, but reading this thread is a little off-putting. This will be my first flat panel buy and i've had my heart set on a Pioneer (or Panasonic) so I hope you all will be kind enough to provide a recap on these issues:

1) Regarding the 508XDA it looks as though quite a few owners are getting the buzzing problem, and little sympathy from the Pioneer techs !? Does the buzzing coming from the electronics inside the TV, or from internal cooling fans (are there any ?), or does it come from the TV speakers ?

2) Can you avoid the buzzing by turning right down (or off) the TV speakers and instead taking the TV audio out to a HT receiver or stereo ?

3) Also how does the 508XDA handle fast motion in sport, motor racing, action movies ?

4) It also seems the auto-scan TV channel set-up is best avoided (ie. better to tune stations in manually) and time to switch between channels with the in-built tuner is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w. Any other issues a potential owner should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Hi folks,

Gee, I was getting pretty keen on the 508XDA now that the street price has dropped to the low $3000 mark, but reading this thread is a little off-putting. This will be my first flat panel buy and i've had my heart set on a Pioneer (or Panasonic) so I hope you all will be kind enough to provide a recap on these issues:

1) Regarding the 508XDA it looks as though quite a few owners are getting the buzzing problem, and little sympathy from the Pioneer techs !? Does the buzzing coming from the electronics inside the TV, or from internal cooling fans (are there any ?), or does it come from the TV speakers ?

2) Can you avoid the buzzing by turning right down (or off) the TV speakers and instead taking the TV audio out to a HT receiver or stereo ?

3) Also how does the 508XDA handle fast motion in sport, motor racing, action movies ?

4) It also seems the auto-scan TV channel set-up is best avoided (ie. better to tune stations in manually) and time to switch between channels with the in-built tuner is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w. Any other issues a potential owner should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Ed

1. I have only noticed a very slight buzz a couple of times in the 2 months that I've had it. I do quite a bit of watching with the sound very low trying not to wake the little one, so I don't think it is a problem on mine. Haven't tried to work out where it comes from.

2. Don't know, but be aware that on occasions there seems to be a slight delay in the audio out. You can here this as a bit of an echo if you have your amp and tv speakers on and you can see it as a slight lip sync issue. might get around to calling support on this one day to see if can be fixed with firmware.

3. Very well I think. I haven't looked hard, but the fact that I don't notice any is a good sign. I do notice it on LCD's. One thing to be aware of here also is that sometimes fast moving images can be a bit ordinary due to the transmission bandwith restrictions.

4. The techs autoscanned mine. You can set favorites and then use the channel up/down just to go on favorites. Channel changing is so slow that I often use my SD toppy to watch TV instead of the HD tuner. I'm hoping this can be fixed in a firmware update too.

Other things to note:

When you look at the TV's set up in the shops, they look fairly ordinary, lots macro blocking etc. The other brands seem worse, but it's there on the Pioneers too. Once you take it off the Dynamic setting this starts to go away and when you tone down some of the other settings it is pretty much eliminated. A mate has a Panasonic and he says the situation is the same.

It's the same with Phosphur trails?? (the green/yellow flashes you see as you move your eyes over black and white images). These are very noticeable in the shops, but hardly there after some configuration.

Aparently professional calibration fixes these things even more.

People rarely look at TV's in shops from the same distance they will watch from.

There is no EPG, just Now and Next. I think they have an EPG in the UK, so we may get this in an update if the networks can prove they are providing a regular guide.

SD performance is amazing in my opinion. Quite often I can't tell if I'm watching the SD toppy or the internal tuner.

The 9th Gen sets have even better specs if you could wait for about a year. (The blacks look fine to me on the 8th Gen though)

In summary, the niggles are:

1. Very slow channel changes.

2. No EPG.

3. Very slight delay on the audio outputs.

4. Buzzing for some people.

(5. It has dropped about a grand since I bought it.)

I'm very happy with this set and couldn't see the value for me in going the LX. I never wish a bought a cheaper brand.

Hope this helps.

Ben

In summary, the niggles are:

1. Very slow channel changes.

2. No EPG.

3. Very slight delay on the audio outputs.

4. Buzzing for some people.

(5. It has dropped about a grand since I bought it.)

I'm very happy with this set and couldn't see the value for me in going the LX. I never wish a bought a cheaper brand.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Yes it helps a lot, really appreciate you taking the time to reply in such detail.

Re your summary of niggles:

1. I think i could live with the slow channel change (but very poor f'up by Pioneer). When watching TV i probably wouldn't be channel surfing, ie. would turn on to watch a specific news or sport event. I think my missus would winge though !! so a moderate concern to me.

2. Not worried about EPG.

3. I would intend to turn TV speaker right down (off if possible) and take audio direct from DVD player (to HT receiver) for DVD's and via the TV audio out when watching TV. *Hopefully* that would avoid the delay/lip sync effect, but a major concern to me.

4. Buzzing is also a major concern to me. It would be just my luck to get one of the sets that falls into the grey area of loud enough to annoy me and/or the missus but not so loud that Pioneer tech was forced to admit it was "outside of factory spec".

5. Can't worry about price drops, I would *try* (some hope) not to keep reading the best price threads after i bought.

For me it is disappointing that the 8th (8th !!!) generation of the premium brand plasma has even one niggle (ignoring price drops of course, that's life) let alone several. I'm not totally put off, yet !, but what i read is certainly making me pause. I was/am all revved up to make the plunge but i think i might be swaying back to my other choice which is the Pana TH50PX70A. Watching this Pana side by side in the store, admittly on demo loop only, the picture is not as good as the 508XDA but it's pretty close (maybe 95% if i had to give a score). I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Replies from other 508XDA owners would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Hi Ben,

Yes it helps a lot, really appreciate you taking the time to reply in such detail.

Re your summary of niggles:

1. I think i could live with the slow channel change (but very poor f'up by Pioneer). When watching TV i probably wouldn't be channel surfing, ie. would turn on to watch a specific news or sport event. I think my missus would winge though !! so a moderate concern to me.

2. Not worried about EPG.

3. I would intend to turn TV speaker right down (off if possible) and take audio direct from DVD player (to HT receiver) for DVD's and via the TV audio out when watching TV. *Hopefully* that would avoid the delay/lip sync effect, but a major concern to me.

4. Buzzing is also a major concern to me. It would be just my luck to get one of the sets that falls into the grey area of loud enough to annoy me and/or the missus but not so loud that Pioneer tech was forced to admit it was "outside of factory spec".

5. Can't worry about price drops, I would *try* (some hope) not to keep reading the best price threads after i bought.

For me it is disappointing that the 8th (8th !!!) generation of the premium brand plasma has even one niggle (ignoring price drops of course, that's life) let alone several. I'm not totally put off, yet !, but what i read is certainly making me pause. I was/am all revved up to make the plunge but i think i might be swaying back to my other choice which is the Pana TH50PX70A. Watching this Pana side by side in the store, admittly on demo loop only, the picture is not as good as the 508XDA but it's pretty close (maybe 95% if i had to give a score). I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Replies from other 508XDA owners would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

These are quite minor issues and I'm sure the Pana has it's own.

Make sure you compare the features for things that you may want, eg the Pioneer can take a 1080p24 signal and display it at 72Hz whereas I think the Pana will display it at 30 or 60 Hz?? The warranty, number of inputs etc.

Ben

Though it is handy having an EPG in the TV (my panasonic has a pretty good setup), I hardly use it as I use the EPG in my PVR. Since getting a HD PVR, I haven't used the DVB in the Pana (except for when I need to watch a third "live" show as the other two tuners are recording).

The slow channel changing issue can be overcome by using a PVR also.

These are quite minor issues and I'm sure the Pana has it's own.

Make sure you compare the features for things that you may want, eg the Pioneer can take a 1080p24 signal and display it at 72Hz whereas I think the Pana will display it at 30 or 60 Hz?? The warranty, number of inputs etc.

Ben

Thanks again Ben,

For me the 508XDA does have several plus points over Pana ... full support for 1080p/24fps, 5yr OEM warranty, Made in Japan, expected PQ, one extra HDMI? input ... enough for me to justify the street price differential and that's why i'm trying to do my research thoroughly. I don't doubt that the Pana 50PX70A also has some niggles and I will be trying to research those as well. I think they're both nice TV's and i'm trying to be unbiased in weighing up their pro's and con's before i purchase. The buzzing issue is a tricky one, clearly it's a minor (or non) issue if your panel has little/no buzzing but potentially a major issue if you are one of the owners experiencing loud buzzing. Luck of the draw ?

To others,

I would like specific feedback from those using the 508XDA with the TV audio signal being sent direct to a HT receiver and sound played via an external 5.1 speaker setup. In this 5.1 setup i expect that you would turn off the TV speaker volume. In that case do you get any noticeable sound delay / lip sync when watching TV ? (I expect there should be no issue when watching DVD's as the audio goes direct from the DVD player to the HT receiver). Specific replies on this issue please .....

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks again Ben,

For me the 508XDA does have several plus points over Pana ... full support for 1080p/24fps, 5yr OEM warranty, Made in Japan, expected PQ, one extra HDMI? input ... enough for me to justify the street price differential and that's why i'm trying to do my research thoroughly. I don't doubt that the Pana 50PX70A also has some niggles and I will be trying to research those as well. I think they're both nice TV's and i'm trying to be unbiased in weighing up their pro's and con's before i purchase. The buzzing issue is a tricky one, clearly it's a minor (or non) issue if your panel has little/no buzzing but potentially a major issue if you are one of the owners experiencing loud buzzing. Luck of the draw ?

To others,

I would like specific feedback from those using the 508XDA with the TV audio signal being sent direct to a HT receiver and sound played via an external 5.1 speaker setup. In this 5.1 setup i expect that you would turn off the TV speaker volume. In that case do you get any noticeable sound delay / lip sync when watching TV ? (I expect there should be no issue when watching DVD's as the audio goes direct from the DVD player to the HT receiver). Specific replies on this issue please .....

Thanks,

Ed

Actually, I think it is more of a processing delay. I think the picture and TV speakers are slightly behind the audio out. So it may be apparent even when something goes direct to your amp.

I will test tonight and let you know.

Ben

To others,

Thanks,

Ed

Isn't it possible to adjust the audio sync issue from the amp? From memory, my Yammy receiver allows me to adjust the audio signal output.

I'm planning on buying the 508XDA soon. It's a no-brainer since it can be bought close to $3000 now.

Just a few quick questions about mounting that comes with the Pioneer install:

1. Is it a fixed mounting or does it allow you to tilt a little?

2. Do the Pioneer techs install powerpoints (ie. next to the plasma) or do you need an electrician to pre-install/be there during installation? If they do, how much does Pioneer charge?

3. Cable management. Do they conceal the wires behind the wall for a fee during setup? Cost?

4. Planning to buy the Onkyo 705 amp to connect to the plasma. Will the remote be compatible with it (ie Viera link)?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Will the 50XDA work in the USA and UK? I will be moving some time over the next 2 years and wanted to ensure I get the right TV which will work in the 3 countries. I see that Australia work on 220V and 50Hz and USA work on 120V and 60Hz and UK 240V. Also USA work on NTSC and Australia and UK on PAL.

Any thoughts appreciated

The Screen may, The internal TV tuner will not different broadcast systems in different countries. As Owen pointed out to me months ago PAL/SECAM/NTSC only applies to analogue transmissions.

Digital is also different in U.K. and USA.

Not 100% sure but Pioneer panels supplied here are 240V only. The packing boxes state 240V on them so not sure if they dual voltage capable.

The way round the dilema is to buy a Set top box in the other countries you intend to stay.

Good luck trying to ship a Plasma Screen around the world in one piece.

My buddy shipped a BMW from Dubai to the U.K. They dropped the container OOPS expensive .

Edited by mwd

I'm planning on buying the 508XDA soon. It's a no-brainer since it can be bought close to $3000 now.

Just a few quick questions about mounting that comes with the Pioneer install:

1. Is it a fixed mounting or does it allow you to tilt a little?

2. Do the Pioneer techs install powerpoints (ie. next to the plasma) or do you need an electrician to pre-install/be there during installation? If they do, how much does Pioneer charge?

3. Cable management. Do they conceal the wires behind the wall for a fee during setup? Cost?

4. Planning to buy the Onkyo 705 amp to connect to the plasma. Will the remote be compatible with it (ie Viera link)?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Will the 50XDA work in the USA and UK? I will be moving some time over the next 2 years and wanted to ensure I get the right TV which will work in the 3 countries. I see that Australia work on 220V and 50Hz and USA work on 120V and 60Hz and UK 240V. Also USA work on NTSC and Australia and UK on PAL.

Any thoughts appreciated

Hello PominSydney

The 508 series will work in the UK, for sure, but depending on the frequency range of Freeview over there, you may have have to buy a STB, but they're only a few quid these days.

As for the states, they do work off of 110V and NTSC, so you'll need a step up transformer.

The screen itself will display anything you chuck at it, so you just have to get the power right.

You'll probably get Sky(UK) or DirectTV / Dishnetwork in the states anyway, which will have all the locals on anyway.

I've done the reverse trip in recent years, from the UK, to Aus, via the states, and my Plasma survived the journey from the states to here just fine.

It's still going strong after neary 3 years, and still running off a step down transformer.

Good luck

Bob

Cheers, mate! Answered most of my questions.

Just one question left: Does the mount provided by Pioneer tilts?

Pioneer Electronics Australia Pty Ltd Head Office- Melbourne

General enquiriesSales, service and spare parts

FREECALL 1800 988 268

very helpful