Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

Folks

I would love to hear from anyone who has:

508XDA + HTPC (MCE2005) + Foxtel (Optus Digital)

set up in a satisfactory way.

My definition of satisfactory is that the TV picture quality is not completely different from plugging fox box directly into 508xda.

I would love to know what your config comprises of.

I am 100% struggling to get decent TV pq via VGA although windows desktop is fine. I have got res set to 1360 x 768

Happy to expand on HTPC specs if required.

Any help very much appreciated

TW

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be moving to Brasil soon and would like to know if the warranty for the Pioneer 508XDA is international? I couldn't see anything on the Pioneer website. I realise I need to make a power conversion (stepdown transformer?) when I get there. It's just that I couldn't get a decent TV there for the price I got it here from. So no use in selling and re-buying. Cheers..

Could any 508xda owners with Harmony remotes please let me know which Device Model they used for their remote setup and more importantly the delay settings for power-on, inter-key delay, etc.

I'm having trouble occasionally where the 508XDA doesn't receive the input change command from the Harmony remote when it is turning on from the standby state. A press of the "Help" key on the remote normally fixes things, so this is leading me to think it's a delay problem - but after lots of trial and error, I'm not getting anywhere.

Thanks,

kidhazy.

I'll be moving to Brasil soon and would like to know if the warranty for the Pioneer 508XDA is international? I couldn't see anything on the Pioneer website. I realise I need to make a power conversion (stepdown transformer?) when I get there. It's just that I couldn't get a decent TV there for the price I got it here from. So no use in selling and re-buying. Cheers..

try ringing Pioneer or emailing them so you have something in writing

Edited by spalmills

Wasn't the opening ceremony simply magnificent?! PQ was fab! Hi to all btw, been reading up lots on the pages, and after having my 508xda installed 4 weeks ago, finally decided to post.

Hi all first timer here....must say I have really enjoyed been educated here!

Just bought a pdp508 last friday at JB (it was a special pioneer sale) :rolleyes:

It gets installed tomorrow and at least I can watch the closing ceremony!

After that.....can't wait for the footy...go pies!!

Just bought a pdp508 last friday at JB (it was a special pioneer sale) :rolleyes:

Hey Joe,

Good to see you here and well done on a great purchase. You will love it..

Dont know how you found one though!

The HD telecast of the Olympics will blow your socks off.

Cant say i am excited about the Go Pies quote though !!

Go roos :)

Hello Joe,

Congrats on your new Plasma.I can tell you you have got hold of a terrfic piece of kit.

After a couple of years (waiting for my old CRT to die) of plodding around stores and spending WAY too much time on this addictive site

I got my 508xda a week or so ago and could not be happier.

All of the raving that people do about these displays is completely justified and none of the picture quality /motion display issues that people have cited about (other)plasma's are an issue.

I saw it in store and thought it was pretty impressive compared to the others,but when it was installed and running at home it surpassed all my expectations. I really hope you get the same excitement from it.

Did they install it today? If not and you are connecting anything to it with an HDMI cable I can recommend EZYHD (look up the site ezyhd.com) there are hundreds of happy customers myself among them.You will save a load of money -pay $20 ish dollars for a cable that an installer may charge you $100 for and you will get a very decent cable.It will turn up really quickly too!

enjoy your new toy mate!

If spalmills or the others in this thread would like to share set up tips having now had one for a while i would appreciate any advice.

cheers

Luke

Hi Joe

Either you didnt get it installed yet or you cant get yourself away from it... Hopefully its the latter.

Let us know what you think if youve got it now.

Hi everyone. thanks for your replies.

I got home from work last night at 11:00

They installed it at 3:30...just in time for the boys to get home from school, sit back and watch it all happen!!

By 4:00 My wife rang me to let me know it was in and ON!....they were over the moon!

When I got home (stuffed) couldn't believe what I was looking at!! It blew me away...WOW!!

I felt dizzy watching the olympics it was like you are in the stadium watching the relays.

Had to work today, so I really haven't done much yet , I'll be in touch.

cheers.

Hi everyone. thanks for your replies.

I got home from work last night at 11:00

They installed it at 3:30...just in time for the boys to get home from school, sit back and watch it all happen!!

By 4:00 My wife rang me to let me know it was in and ON!....they were over the moon!

When I got home (stuffed) couldn't believe what I was looking at!! It blew me away...WOW!!

I felt dizzy watching the olympics it was like you are in the stadium watching the relays.

Had to work today, so I really haven't done much yet , I'll be in touch.

cheers.

Good to hear you got it.

Just make sure the contrast isnt set too high (around 40 is ok) and it is set to optimum and not dynamic for starters

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my issue with "dirty screen". After waiting 2 weeks since the tech came out, I called today and all they said was that someone would call in the next few days about a solution to the issue. He sounded like he was dodging it a bit.

Doesnt really sound like im getting a replacement though:( Not sure what solution could be though?

Better not blame it on burn-in like the tech did and tell me to do video pattern etc

Anyone else gets this problem... Mostly i notice it during the football when there is a long shot off the players and when u focus on one of them running they sorta of just studder, out of focus, for like half a second, and actually i did notice when a text was moving across the screen it was smooth then it judders for a sec and smooths out again.

Is there a setting im missing that stops that, or is it something else. I don't notice during playing dvd`s etc.

Anyone else gets this problem... Mostly i notice it during the football when there is a long shot off the players and when u focus on one of them running they sorta of just studder, out of focus, for like half a second, and actually i did notice when a text was moving across the screen it was smooth then it judders for a sec and smooths out again.

Is there a setting im missing that stops that, or is it something else. I don't notice during playing dvd`s etc.

You need to change the "drive mode"to 2 it sounds like its on 3. Go to "home menu" then "options" and scroll down to the "drive mode" menu (it on the 2nd page of the "options" menu)

Edited by wheelz

Its on 1 , doing the same on 2 aswell.

Do you have the pure cinema mode set to off & drive mode 2 . It should be on this for SD/HD TV viewing .

Also go to the UK AV FORUM site & find the Pioneer 8G settings thread. Its the first sticky thread . It has by far the best 8G settings I have found anywhere. Or try in the first 50 pages here , it might be here under Bumptious Settings.

Pete

Edited by seacat

• 2 weeks later...
Folks

I would love to hear from anyone who has:

508XDA + HTPC (MCE2005) + Foxtel (Optus Digital)

set up in a satisfactory way.

My definition of satisfactory is that the TV picture quality is not completely different from plugging fox box directly into 508xda.

I would love to know what your config comprises of.

I am 100% struggling to get decent TV pq via VGA although windows desktop is fine. I have got res set to 1360 x 768

Happy to expand on HTPC specs if required.

Any help very much appreciated

TW

Hotspur I have a similar setup working great. My sig outlines my configuration.

BTW what video card are you using?

zzkazu

How much would you pay now for a new PDP428xda with Pioneer wall bracket?

Of course you would need to factor in the fact that Pioneer have stopped the free delivery and installation service from 1 Sept08!

Around the $2k mark? They should be throwing the wall bracket in! Where did you find one?

Do you have the pure cinema mode set to off & drive mode 2 . It should be on this for SD/HD TV viewing .

Also go to the UK AV FORUM site & find the Pioneer 8G settings thread. Its the first sticky thread . It has by far the best 8G settings I have found anywhere. Or try in the first 50 pages here , it might be here under Bumptious Settings.

Pete

I have mine set to those, they are great settings. For both BD/DVD and free to air TV they have the drive mode set to 1. Setting it to 2 seems to make the screen a bit brighter? Link is below:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544315

Anyone know any store that still have the 508XDA in stock?

Where are you?

There were a couple floating around Macquarie and Chatswood in Sydney about a month ago, but stock availability is almost non existent. maybe try calling Pioneer to see if they know of any dealers with stock.

Can't help with 508xda's but i seen four boxed 428xda's (with wall mount kit) lined up on the show room floor of a retailer on the weekend.

Best price I know on this unit is $2,100 from someone who posted on this thread in June. Given that Pioneer have now dumped the free delivery/installation/basic onsite calibtatiion, I think $1,700 is a fair price. Any other thoughts on price?

Maybe i should approach the retailer with a deal?

Anyone interested in doing a bulk deal - say 4 units @$1,600 each?

Edited by 1bogdan