Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

Just had the 428xda installed yesterday and coming from a Sony Wega KVHX series I am quite impressed. Watching Lost on HD was showed excellent picture quality, but it also shows up poor source material that is broadcast.

Early days yet, hopefully find a couple of hours to get the panel calibrated properly.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had the 428xda installed yesterday and coming from a Sony Wega KVHX series I am quite impressed. Watching Lost on HD was showed excellent picture quality, but it also shows up poor source material that is broadcast.

Early days yet, hopefully find a couple of hours to get the panel calibrated properly.

So another Sony Wega is put out to pasture. Interesting how many people (self included) held on to these until the Kuro came along. What knocks me sideways though, is the fact my made in Japan Wega KV EF cost me more in 1993? dollars than the 508 xda did in 2008 dollars ($3000 then v $2700 now). Anyone care to speculate what $3000 Keating-era Dollars would be worth today?

Btw the old Sony still put up a good PQ with a SD stb ....just not enough of it.

I did mine using dve but i think you'll find most people recommend the sharpness be turned right down

i did try mine turned down but the edges looked a little soft for me , looks fine to me now just a little into the positive

Edited by spalmills

i did try mine turned down but the edges looked a little soft for me , looks fine to me now just a little into the positive

I have been playing with my settings this weekend... noticed that Fox IQ has become worse quality wise.

I am beginning to think that because my Kuro has just passed the 200+ hours mark, that things are settling down, and adjustments need to be made again.

I used the DVE, which works great for DVD's.... still struggling to get my settings right for Foxtel ?

Anybody got some great configs that they find works with Fox IQ (Component connection) ?

I did mine using dve but i think you'll find most people recommend the sharpness be turned right down

I paid $$$ for an expert to come and set it using proper software. -4 is what it ended up at in order to be correct. Your TV may be slightly different, but not 4-times-softer different.

Seriously, if anyone is using the settings that were posted up at avforums, I only have this to say: those settings are a joke, your TV can look much better than that.

When you get the Panel calibrated they calibrate per input so that the settings are dependent on what you have connected. Ok I have an LX508 but the sharpness settings vary from -4 to +9 over the 6 inputs with most in the -2 to +2 range. I would expect similiar with the xda.

Tony

Well my 508XDA was delivered and installed two days ago. First impressions is that I'm not that particularly impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, its a good TV, but it didn't blow my mind away like when I first bought my Sony 46X. I do agree that the black levels are fantastic, but the picture seems 'grainy' or 'blurry'. I don't get that on the Sony at all. The FTA on the sony is noticeably better, especially the HD programs. Maybe the Pioneer needs to be run in, but I can't imagine it becoming significantly better after 200 hours of running it in. I have used the settings found on the AVS forums together with some of my own adjustments using DVE and the results are the same. I will wait until i run it in for 200 or so hours before i reserve my final judgment on it.

found some great settings posted by "MJS" - Thanks !

I have modified mine accordingly and played for a few hours last night... ALL GOOD NOW :-)

Seems that some settings that are usually left as default actually have a significant impact.

Sharpness is set to between -2 and -8 depending on the source (Fox is -4).

Thanks to all that have assisted

Well my 508XDA was delivered and installed two days ago. First impressions is that I'm not that particularly impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, its a good TV, but it didn't blow my mind away like when I first bought my Sony 46X. I do agree that the black levels are fantastic, but the picture seems 'grainy' or 'blurry'. I don't get that on the Sony at all. The FTA on the sony is noticeably better, especially the HD programs. Maybe the Pioneer needs to be run in, but I can't imagine it becoming significantly better after 200 hours of running it in. I have used the settings found on the AVS forums together with some of my own adjustments using DVE and the results are the same. I will wait until i run it in for 200 or so hours before i reserve my final judgment on it.

Ill agree with you that the HD tuner on the 508XDA is not overly impressive, however plug any other dedicated source in and the Pioneer comes into it's own. Xbox 360 games and upscaled DVD's look fantastic, I have yet to try out Blu-Ray but from everyone elses impressions, it smokes most other tv's out there atm. People have reported in this thread that you can get better PQ when using a seperate Toppy HD tuner.

Hi all,

Completely new at all this so be fair... :D

Our current crt is on its way out and I have had a look around and can pickup the Pioneer pdp428xda for $2100.

The only thing that I was told was that the model is due to be replaced soon. Is this true?

My question is for this price should I go for it or is there something else that someone can suggest.

Thanks

Brett

quite possible that it may be replaced by another model brettwils, but i cannot give a diffinitve ansewr on that. However, if there is you will be paying a lot more than $2100

if the budget can stretch to getting the 50xda i would recommend it, have one and the family loves it. Hooked up to good pvr & hd player you cant go wrong.

found some great settings posted by "MJS" - Thanks !

I have modified mine accordingly and played for a few hours last night... ALL GOOD NOW :-)

Seems that some settings that are usually left as default actually have a significant impact.

Sharpness is set to between -2 and -8 depending on the source (Fox is -4).

Thanks to all that have assisted

no problem, happy to help and/or discuss further

Does anyone else have this problem:

When i switch the 508xda off using the remote control, sometimes when i use the remote to turn it back on, it won't work. Instead I have to physically go push the power button on the tv itself off then on again before the remote would work.

Am i doing something wrong?

Does anyone else have this problem:

When i switch the 508xda off using the remote control, sometimes when i use the remote to turn it back on, it won't work. Instead I have to physically go push the power button on the tv itself off then on again before the remote would work.

Am i doing something wrong?

Make sure you are pointing the remote at the panel - had your problem a couple of times when quickly switching off/on, but since adopting that policy it hasn't been a problem.

Make sure you are pointing the remote at the panel - had your problem a couple of times when quickly switching off/on, but since adopting that policy it hasn't been a problem.

I am definitely pointing the remote at the panel. i've tried from numerous angles too. But when i push the power button on the panel off and then on again, the remote magically works again.

I paid $$$ for an expert to come and set it using proper software. -4 is what it ended up at in order to be correct. Your TV may be slightly different, but not 4-times-softer different.

Seriously, if anyone is using the settings that were posted up at avforums, I only have this to say: those settings are a joke, your TV can look much better than that.

Here .. Here.. I believe if you've lashed out on a Pioneer Kuro and probably have lots of other Hi End equipment to put you into a Audio Visual ' Jelly Like State Of Ecstacy ' then a calibration is well worth it. I ended up getting an ISF ( Image Science Foundation ) calibration on all my source equipment. Aaron from ' Avical ' did my kit and like many other members on this forum, I can only sing praise. He calibrated the Tuner in the TV, my XE-1 and Denon 2930, all with fantastic results. The colours jump, the blacks are black with increased depth and contrast. The picture now has 3 dimensionality.

I agree with Autocrat and advise people to be careful what settings you apply to your ' Kuro ' from any forum. I though I was looking at a magnificent picture until Aaron calibrated all of my equipment. Having spent many thousands of dollars a ' Few Dollars More ' was all that was needed to give me the best possible picture from my kit.

Akseland.