Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a PDP-508XDA connected to a DV-400 DVD player via a version 1.3 HDMI cable. Picture and sound are great, but I can't get the HDMI control functions to work.

Does anyone know if the DV-400 is 1.3 compatible or had any luck getting the HDMI controls to work.

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

DV-400 works brilliantly with my 508XD.

Note you do need to press the Input button a couple of times till the light is on DVD before the controls on the bottom half (ie the DVD controls will work)

Only downside is there is no USB button the 508XD.

Am in the process of putting a FAT32 primary partition on a 320Gb standalone powered HDD.

Also has anyone had any issues with Favourites not appropriately selecting channels.

I am in inner East of Sydney and on AutoScan the TV picked up signals from two antennas (I assume both the Kings Cross tower and the Gore Hill/Willoughby towers)

Thus in my channel selection I have two of everything (although three ABCs and only one Channel 4) but one of the signals is much better than the other - one is perfectly clear, other has a habit of artefacting and noise scrambling.

I have thus gone into favourites and checked the channels that work and that I use - 1,2,7,9,10,21,70,77,90,99 and I then should be able to use Ch Up/Down or typing the number to get the channel

This seems to work perfectly for the HD channels (1,70,90) but for the SD channels (7,9) it jumps to the bad channel (ie the one not in my favourites) and I then have to press Ch Up to get the better signal.

-- EDIT - This means that the TV is thinking there are two Channel 7s marked in the favorites. When only one is selected so is clearly not doing what it is meant to do.

Anyone have any advice on favourites.

Or is there anyway to delete autoscanned channels that aren't up to scratch on signal??

Thanks

Edited by moa999

Also has anyone had any issues with Favourites not appropriately selecting channels.

Just noticed this yesterday you need to open the menu and go into Setup/DTV setup/Channel change and select favourites that will put up/down channel selection into the favourites list rather than the program list.

Tony

Just noticed this yesterday you need to open the menu and go into Setup/DTV setup/Channel change and select favourites that will put up/down channel selection into the favourites list rather than the program list.

Tony

Does anyone know if there is a way of setting the favourite list in order ie SBS to channel 10 as it is unable to do this at the moment.

Alan

Wanted list for firmware revisions / or next versions of this TV

1. Improve the time to switch between channels (up to 6 seconds is way too long)

2. Provide a 7-day EPG when the Australian channels support it

3. Enable auto-scanned channels to be deleted (eg. those channels that are picked up as duplicates but have patchy reception)

4. Provide info screen detailing signal of channel (so you can work out which transmitter you are getting a signal from)

5. Enable custom odering of channels in the favourites list

6. Have the TV remote auto-switch to the relevant device mode when HDMI detected

(eg. Input 5 selects and powers up Pioneer DV-400 DVD, but you still need to manually change to DVD to use the controls on the bottom half of the remote, and then manually change back to TV to use the TV/DTV button and get back to HD)

And while I'm at it - for the Pioneer DV-400 DVD player

1. Support longer filenames in the USB GUI browser (14 characters is not enough), particularly for DIVX/WMV

2. Support NTFS USB disks as well as FAT32

Edited by moa999

Thanks mate. How do i do that?

Home (menu) -> Power Control -> Power Management

Does anyone know if there is a way of setting the favourite list in order ie SBS to channel 10 as it is unable to do this at the moment.

Yes there is. It's on pg 39-40 of the manual; you can shuffle things around in the favourites list (by 'shuffle' I mean 'delete the wrong entry then one by one re-enter the remaining entries'), the editing isn't great but it works. Then you have to switch the favourites list onto the channel up/down buttons so that it uses them rather than the entire scanned channel list.

It's quite handy actually. Because virtually all my FTA viewing (bar weekend sports) is in the evening, I've set my favourites list to just the HD channels + ABC2 so I can just change between them using the +/- buttons, then use the onscreen list if I need to access the other digital channels.

• 2 weeks later...
Although I'm hoping to get the 1080p models I noticed Pioneer now has photos on these 2 models sorry here http://www.kuro.com.au/

cheers laurie

Greetings!

This is a post from a long time reader, first time poster etc.

Set up:

Pioneer 508XDA

Xbox 360

Foxtel Cable

Yamaha Receiver

I read somewhere that if one has an HDMI connection from Xbox 360 to the Pioneer panel, it is better to utilise the digital audio out from the Pioneer to AV Receiver.

I currently have my Xbox 360 connected to my panel via component and then a digital/optical connection from Xbox 360 to AV Receiver. I use my Xbox 360 as a media extender, CD player and DVD player.

Any views on the alternative set-up or improved PQ and sound quality using HDMI and letting the panel do the sound processing rather than the Xbox? I could get an HDMI cable for the Xbox but would it be worth it?

Any views on the alternative set-up or improved PQ and sound quality using HDMI and letting the panel do the sound processing rather than the Xbox?

The only 'sound processing' the panel would do is to play through the panel's speakers and possibly apply some SRS processing to it if you have that option switched on. The TV is only going to put out a stereo signal regardless of what you send down to it so just go with whatever audio connection is most convenient. If you pass the xbox audio through the panel to the AV receiver then you'll lose any surround processing that the xbox does (so no 5.1 for you!). If you're only playing stereo then theoretically the should be the same; I can't see how the audio would improve by passing it through the panel first but I guess you can only try it and see which you prefer.

Has anyone ever come across a worse HD tuner than the one in the Pioneer?

It is so slow that I am surprised it does not forget which channel to change to!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I do not use it - love my Digitalview HD PVR.

Regards

ValT.

Has anyone ever come across a worse HD tuner than the one in the Pioneer?

Are you thinking in terms of user friendliness or PQ or both?

I admit that it's as slow as anything, but i thought the PQ itself is pretty darn good.

I haven't got a HD STB to compare, but it looks great to me.

Bob

the 508xda is a brilliant television, stunning picture quality.

BUT

but when you live in sydney and there are multiple broadcasting towers repeating signals across the basin and you cannot delete the duplicate crap quality channels, it starts to Sh*t you.

ESPECIALLY when you have parents who find it too complicated to do anything but type a number to bring up a channel, and it automatically goes to the shitty reception channel. So you have to change up or down one to get to the good one. (that's beyond my parents)

This means it can take 10 seconds to change to the channel you want.

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE (the whinging from the rents and having to remember which channel is full reception when you go into programme list)

IM MANUALLY SCANNING THE BASTARD!

PIONEER HOW on this bloody earth did you release a Tuner that takes 5+ seconds to change channel?

How could that have passed quality control testing?

AND WHY CANT WE DELETE AUTOMATICALLY SCANNED CHANNELS!!!!

It's like the most BASIC THING! Who in their right mind after releasing 8 generations of plasma panels could not think of adding this? FFS!

This is going to be a long night on the DBA website and manually tuning the slow bastard.

Until we get an external tuner, because im not going to put up with this slowness for the next 10 years.

(Great Television though, comes highly recommended)

Edited by morricio

Just put all the "Good" working Channels in the Favorites list.

Then change the channel change on the remote to Favorites.

The full list of channels appears when you press the large Enter button.

The full instructions are in the manual.

Edit: I've also turned the power setting to Mode1 and tried Mode2 both settings don't remove buzzing, although it gets a little better at every lower setting.

I just got my 508XDA last week. While watching my movies and tv at night when it was very quite I could hear some buzzing from the panel especially during silent scenes or when my volume is turned down to 9.

It's no problem during the day when there is a lot of ambient noise, but at night you can hear it like flies buzzing around, and it gets a little annoying especially during quite scenes. I have heard some people say their 508XDA is silent and that owners of lx508a are having some buzzing....So i'm thinking I have a 508XDA so why does it buzz when everyone else's isnt. Should I call Pioneer and ask them about it or wait after the break-in period? Also those that own the 508XDA or bought it recently are your 508XDAs fly buzzing ( or at least you can hear buzzing if you stand next to the tv with the volume muted)?

Edited by jammyfox

Edit: I've also turned the power setting to Mode1 and tried Mode2 both settings don't remove buzzing, although it gets a little better at every lower setting.

I just got my 508XDA last week. While watching my movies and tv at night when it was very quite I could hear some buzzing from the panel especially during silent scenes or when my volume is turned down to 9.

It's no problem during the day when there is a lot of ambient noise, but at night you can hear it like flies buzzing around, and it gets a little annoying especially during quite scenes. I have heard some people say their 508XDA is silent and that owners of lx508a are having some buzzing....So i'm thinking I have a 508XDA so why does it buzz when everyone else's isnt. Should I call Pioneer and ask them about it or wait after the break-in period? Also those that own the 508XDA or bought it recently are your 508XDAs fly buzzing ( or at least you can hear buzzing if you stand next to the tv with the volume muted)?

I would wait until you've got 200hrs on it before contacting Pioneer, but then i would be looking at getting an engineer out.

I called them last week about the buzzing on my LX508 (800hrs) and they are supposed to be calling me in the next couple of days to arrange a tech visit.

Bob

I would wait until you've got 200hrs on it before contacting Pioneer, but then i would be looking at getting an engineer out.

I called them last week about the buzzing on my LX508 (800hrs) and they are supposed to be calling me in the next couple of days to arrange a tech visit.

Bob

yeah but LX508 is a different panel and model isn't it? Couple of members say the 508XDA is silent. : http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=54976&st=20. Where as the LX508 has had quite a few reports of this.

I really want to see if anyone with the 508XDA have this problem

Edited by jammyfox

yeah but LX508 is a different panel and model isn't it? Couple of members say the 508XDA is silent. : http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=54976&st=20. Where as the LX508 has had quite a few reports of this.

I really want to see if anyone with the 508XDA have this problem

They may be different screens, but the resolution procedure will be the same.

If you rang Pioneer, they'd ask you to leave it until about 200hrs before sending out a tech.

There are samples of all models which are buzzing and silent. It appears to be hit and miss with the power supplies.

Only you can decide whether it warrants a call to Pioneer or not. I felt that it did.

Using different power save options does change the levels slightly, but thats not a satisfactory resolution in my book.

It doesn't remove it and you lose contrast, and for the amount we paid for the damn thing, i expect it to be silent in all modes.

FWIW, it would not matter to me how many other TV's have this problem, the fact is that mine has and i want it fixing.

Bob

The only 'sound processing' the panel would do is to play through the panel's speakers and possibly apply some SRS processing to it if you have that option switched on. The TV is only going to put out a stereo signal regardless of what you send down to it so just go with whatever audio connection is most convenient. If you pass the xbox audio through the panel to the AV receiver then you'll lose any surround processing that the xbox does (so no 5.1 for you!). If you're only playing stereo then theoretically the should be the same; I can't see how the audio would improve by passing it through the panel first but I guess you can only try it and see which you prefer.

Thanks Thudd. I have left as it is as I'm pretty happy with my current set up.

Vista looks great on the panel though!

Edited by Riggers

Would say there is some noise that comes from my 508XDA (appears from bottom left)

Definitely more noticeable on white screens versus black, but in no means overbearning even at night

Not me, my 508 is perfect (now that i had the one with the frozen pixels replaced). There is no buzzing at all.

Anyone catch the Daytona 500 on 10HD?? the picture quality was awesome and the scrolling text had no jutter at all.

Having just cleared all my Autoscanned channels (Picked up duplicates of every channel due to getting bad signal from Gore Hill, and better from Kings Cross)

and re-entered them Manually using the codes from

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?remember=0...mp;recLocation=

the overall performance is significantly improved.

Suggest anyone with any coverage issues use manual scan