Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

Hey Guys,

As a recent Kuro GB2 member, I am the proud owner of a new 508XDA and took the opportunity to purchase a VSX-LX60 AVR through the same seller (at a very good discount I might add).

Also to throw into the mix, I have a Philips DVD Player (~4 years old) and foxtel.

This is they way I have connected all the components:

VSX-LX60 OUTput to the 508XDA INput via HDMI

Digital Optical Audio OUTput from the 508XDA to Digital Optical Audio INput (2) on the LX60 (to have sound from the Internal Digital Tuner on the Kuro go through the LX60)

DVD - Video via Component out to the component input on the LX60 (labeled DVD)

DVD - Audio via Digital Optical Audio out of the DVD into Digital Optical Audio (1) in on the LX60 and then configured Component INput DVD on the receiver to use the sound from Digital Optical Audio INput (1).

Foxtel - Video via Scart to component cable input to Component INput (labeled TV)

Foxtel - Audio via special Digital Optical Audio OUTput into Digital Optical Audio INput (3) and then configured Component INput TV on the receiver to use the sound from Digital Optical Audio INput (3)

Now my questions are:

Is this the best way to hook up all the components?

I read earlier in this thread that someone suggests that you should have all the video OUTputs from components go directly into the TV bypassing the AVR using the AVR for sound only. Is this the best way?

What are the benefits of one method over the other?

I have also found that on some foxtel channels, that sound and picture are a little out of sync, sometimes, particularly on channel 7, they are a lot out of sync. Any suggestions here?

Any help, suggestions or comments most welcomed.

Cheers,

Warren

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried it already, when I first saw it.

Didn't work for me :(

I have done it and it works. Do exactly as the info says on the AVS forum with the only difference being the info button.

From memory it says it's under the channel 9 button but our remotes are different.

The info button on our remote is (you most likely know this but just in case) above the blue button. Look at your remote and towards the bottom you will see a red, green, yellow and blue buttons well the info button is above that blue button.

I have tried it and it does work but if it's not done exactly right it wont work and you'll have to try again. I have had to try up to 3 times before it worked so it isn't straight forward.

Just got my LX508 installed on weekend. Looks sweet. Only problem is, when they were installing I totally forgot about recording foxtel through new dvd recorder... Slipped my mind. :(

The current set up is: scart to component from foxtel into panel.

HDMI from dvd recorder into panel for movies. model is dvr 550HS

FTA into panel.

How has anyone else set up their system to get best possible pic through foxtel (I know you can't get a good pic anyway), and also record foxtel through a dvd recorder?

Just got my LX508 installed on weekend. Looks sweet. Only problem is, when they were installing I totally forgot about recording foxtel through new dvd recorder... Slipped my mind. :(

FTA into panel.

How has anyone else set up their system to get best possible pic through foxtel (I know you can't get a good pic anyway), and also record foxtel through a dvd recorder?

This should help

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=42367

FTA into panel.

Usually s-video to both is the best you can get. I have the Pace box and so unsure of IQ ability but usually if the TV output is component then composite is max you get out of the aux/vcr output,

can someone confirm the IQ abiliy is the same? From Chrissyoscar's thread link IQ appears to do Component to TV and svideo to recorder this if correct I would suggest using

Edited by Peacekeeper

What calibration settings do people mostly use on Foxtel via component ?

I know its a crap signal, I'm sure it can be improved even a little ?

hey mate run it in game mode, turn brightness up to 25, put the colour tint to green +3 and turn sharpness up to -3

those settings i find look the best for a majority of foxtel programs

• 2 weeks later...
On HDTVTEST they say this:

"When fed with supported resolutions, you can achieve zero overscan in the [PC] mode over VGA (after "Auto Adjust") and HDMI, but because white balance controls, film deinterlacing and colour management system are disabled in this mode, I'd avoid it at all costs. "

If I want to connect my laptop how do I avoid this at all costs? Do they simply mean don't connect a PC?

I'm also amazed that currently I can connect at a resolution of 1360 x 768 and it looks great. Pretty good considering the native resolution of the screen is 1024 x 768. I've only tried VGA - have people had good experiences connecting PC (or Macbooks) via HDMI?

So after having one for a while, can anyone comment on their experience with the 508XDA using it with a HTPC? Does the lack of adjustments when disabling overscan cause problems compared to getting your video card to take care of them (deinterlacing, colour mgmt, etc)?

Hi, I just recently brought a Pioneer PDP427XDA plasma tv a couple of days ago. I asked if the retailer had any new boxed sets in stock. He said I'm pretty sure we do and so I agreed to buy one as I had heard very good things about Pioneer plasma tv's and with the 5 year in home warranty etc. A few minutes later he came back and said that the display model was the only one they had. I asked how long this tv had been on the show room floor and he said that he had personally set it up 2 weeks before so I told him that was ok.

After getting home I thought more about this and became worried that the salesperson could have lied about how long it had been running in shop for and did some looking up on the internet. I believe it is possible to go into the service menu and see how many hours the tv has been on for. I beleive manufactures test these tv's for anything up to maybe 100-200 hours before sending them to retail stores. So the question is:-

(1) Is it ok for me (or the Pioneer person who delievers/installs it)to go into the service menu and see how many hours the tv has been running for?

(2) If the tv's service menu says that it has been running for more than say 500+ hours can I return it for another t.v (new) or get a refund/store credit? If what the salesman said is true than 2 weeks + say 200 hours testing shouldn't be anymore than about 400 hours. This model tv has been out for about a year (didn't know that when I brought it) so it "could" have been in the shop for many months.

I know many retailers have different refund policies etc. I know I was silly to have brought a display model and am now regretting it but it is hard for me to buy stuff out as I have a disablity (panic attacks) and most of the time I never leave the house (unless I have no choice). I had to use my credit card to buy the t.v so I HAD to do it in person. I don't like using my CC online. Guess they saw me comming as I am now worried if I can check the service menu that it will say the tv has been running for maybe 2000+ (if it has been there about 6 months). Hope this feeling is wrong as I don't like the idea of paying 3,000 for a tv used for a couple of months in store. I understand alot of people will call me a idiot.

Hi, I just recently brought a Pioneer PDP427XDA plasma tv a couple of days ago. I asked if the retailer had any new boxed sets in stock. He said I'm pretty sure we do and so I agreed to buy one as I had heard very good things about Pioneer plasma tv's and with the 5 year in home warranty etc. A few minutes later he came back and said that the display model was the only one they had. I asked how long this tv had been on the show room floor and he said that he had personally set it up 2 weeks before so I told him that was ok.

After getting home I thought more about this and became worried that the salesperson could have lied about how long it had been running in shop for and did some looking up on the internet. I believe it is possible to go into the service menu and see how many hours the tv has been on for. I beleive manufactures test these tv's for anything up to maybe 100-200 hours before sending them to retail stores. So the question is:-

(1) Is it ok for me (or the Pioneer person who delievers/installs it)to go into the service menu and see how many hours the tv has been running for?

(2) If the tv's service menu says that it has been running for more than say 500+ hours can I return it for another t.v (new) or get a refund/store credit? If what the salesman said is true than 2 weeks + say 200 hours testing shouldn't be anymore than about 400 hours. This model tv has been out for about a year (didn't know that when I brought it) so it "could" have been in the shop for many months.

I know many retailers have different refund policies etc. I know I was silly to have brought a display model and am now regretting it but it is hard for me to buy stuff out as I have a disablity (panic attacks) and most of the time I never leave the house (unless I have no choice). I had to use my credit card to buy the t.v so I HAD to do it in person. I don't like using my CC online. Guess they saw me comming as I am now worried if I can check the service menu that it will say the tv has been running for maybe 2000+ (if it has been there about 6 months). Hope this feeling is wrong as I don't like the idea of paying 3,000 for a tv used for a couple of months in store. I understand alot of people will call me a idiot.

1. Yes, check the running hours - BUT DO NOT CHANGE\ADJUST ANYTHING ELSE IN THE SERVICE MENU, as it will VOID warranty.

2. It depends on the stores refund\exchange policy - and it will be the salespersons word against yours.

Hopefully it will have less than 500 hrs, I feel for you mate and best of luck.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'll check the service menu for hours running when it is delivered. Will make sure I don't change ANYTHING inside the menu, good to know it won't stuff my warranty by just checking the hours. Thank you. It is the PDP427XDA not the PDP428XDA which is the newer model. In hindsight I should have said no to buying the 427 and gone somewhere else to pick up a 428 new. Still I don't think the 427 is a bad plasma by any means. At least not by what I have read about it. And I really like the Pioneer warranty. In home repair (if possible), a replacement tv while yours is fixed and 5 years extra warranty on other Pioneer products (blueray, hi-fi etc.) that you buy for the next 12 months. Also like that the 5 year warranty is through the manufacturer and not an extended warranty like through HN or something. Had heaps of trouble with the last laptop I brought through HN and there extended warranty. Also if I do find the hours are say 500+ on the t.v would it make any difference that my mum was there as well and clearly hear the salesman tell us that it was setup by him only 2 weeks before? I guess it is still me and my mum's word against his. Still hopefully that won't happen, fingers crossed! Like to wish everyone a great and safe new year as well :)

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'll check the service menu for hours running when it is delivered. Will make sure I don't change ANYTHING inside the menu, good to know it won't stuff my warranty by just checking the hours. Thank you. It is the PDP427XDA not the PDP428XDA which is the newer model. In hindsight I should have said no to buying the 427 and gone somewhere else to pick up a 428 new. Still I don't think the 427 is a bad plasma by any means. At least not by what I have read about it. And I really like the Pioneer warranty. In home repair (if possible), a replacement tv while yours is fixed and 5 years extra warranty on other Pioneer products (blueray, hi-fi etc.) that you buy for the next 12 months. Also like that the 5 year warranty is through the manufacturer and not an extended warranty like through HN or something. Had heaps of trouble with the last laptop I brought through HN and there extended warranty. Also if I do find the hours are say 500+ on the t.v would it make any difference that my mum was there as well and clearly hear the salesman tell us that it was setup by him only 2 weeks before? I guess it is still me and my mum's word against his. Still hopefully that won't happen, fingers crossed! Like to wish everyone a great and safe new year as well :)

I find it hard to believe they would go to the trouble of setting up a 427xda only two weeks ago.

They would most likely mark it down to sell as it's old stock and leave it new in the box.

What's the point of setting up an old TV with no stock or very little only to have to sell it as floor stock.

He probably didn't think you'ld check the HR's as most people wouldn't know how.

Depending on the price you paid if it does turn out to have excessive HR's on it go back and demand a better price or a refund.

I find it hard to believe they would go to the trouble of setting up a 427xda only two weeks ago.

They would most likely mark it down to sell as it's old stock and leave it new in the box.

What's the point of setting up an old TV with no stock or very little only to have to sell it as floor stock.

He probably didn't think you'ld check the HR's as most people wouldn't know how.

Depending on the price you paid if it does turn out to have excessive HR's on it go back and demand a better price or a refund.

i saw the 427xda at southland myers marked down to $2400.00.

it has been there for ages at 3500.00.

They had $2995 on the tv marked down from $4999. When the salesman told me and my mum that it was the only one they had we asked for a reduced price due to it being a display model and although the salesman was nice he said flatly no. He went on to tell us that they were selling it at below cost. That's when we asked how long it had been setup in the store for and he said that he personally did it 2 weeks ago. I researched many many plasma tv's before going to this store but never did much research or pricing on the Pioneers because quite frankly I didn't think I could afford one. I could only afford $3,000 tops and it is going to take me 7-8 months to pay off. I paid $1,000 of it cash and the rest was 14 months interest free, though the salesman still would not take anything off for the cash. In the end it was a impluse buy (plus my mum loves her tv and also like me loved the PQ of the Pioneer) as I had spent months researching plasma's online and found so many faults with many, many brands that I finally decided to buy a sony LCD and get it over and done with. I never thought I could afford a Pioneer plasma so never looked into prices and models. Now I really wish I had!

Yeah now that I think about it, it does seem strange to setup a old model plasma 2 weeks ago just to sell it at reduced cost. Though in this case I don't think they did sell it at much of a discount. The more I think about this the more I think the hours running on it is going to be alot. I'm tempted to go with mum down there tomorrow and try to get another (new) Pioneer instead. I saw a 508XDA there but the price ticket had been removed so not sure of the price on it. Also not sure if the display model is the only one they have in that model as well. Talked with mum today about it and we both decided that when it is installed we will ask the Pioneer guy to check the hours and if it is running more than say 500+ then we won't sign for it and ask the guy to return it to store. I'll ask (but don't think the Pioneer guy will do it, never know though?) if he can talk to the manager of the store (WOW sight and sound) help us get a new Pioneer instead of this display model. Even if the Pioneer guy won't help I will make a complaint to consumer affairs if I can and see if that helps. I checked out the reciept from the store and in small print on the back it says the following:-

Refund, exchange & repair policy:

If goods are faulty, WRONGLY DESCRIBED, different from a sample shown to you or don't do what they are supposed to we will, depending on the circumstances, discuss either a refund, exchange, repair or credit with you.

So if the running hours on the 427 are over 500+ I will asked for a refund/exchange or credit as the goods were wrongly described to us (and will be able to prove the hours to them on the service menu). Hopefully mum being there too will help as she was told the tv had been setup only 2 weeks as well. I guess at this point anything is worth a go! Because I always get panic attacks when out in public it gets really hard to think straight, I just swet really bad and I try not too but I know I look really nervus (sorry bad spelling), all I want to do and get back home. Still $3,000 is a lot of money to me as I am on a pension so I will try.

They had $2995 on the tv marked down from $4999. When the salesman told me and my mum that it was the only one they had we asked for a reduced price due to it being a display model and although the salesman was nice he said flatly no. He went on to tell us that they were selling it at below cost. That's when we asked how long it had been setup in the store for and he said that he personally did it 2 weeks ago. I researched many many plasma tv's before going to this store but never did much research or pricing on the Pioneers because quite frankly I didn't think I could afford one. I could only afford $3,000 tops and it is going to take me 7-8 months to pay off. I paid $1,000 of it cash and the rest was 14 months interest free, though the salesman still would not take anything off for the cash. In the end it was a impluse buy (plus my mum loves her tv and also like me loved the PQ of the Pioneer) as I had spent months researching plasma's online and found so many faults with many, many brands that I finally decided to buy a sony LCD and get it over and done with. I never thought I could afford a Pioneer plasma so never looked into prices and models. Now I really wish I had!

Yeah now that I think about it, it does seem strange to setup a old model plasma 2 weeks ago just to sell it at reduced cost. Though in this case I don't think they did sell it at much of a discount. The more I think about this the more I think the hours running on it is going to be alot. I'm tempted to go with mum down there tomorrow and try to get another (new) Pioneer instead. I saw a 508XDA there but the price ticket had been removed so not sure of the price on it. Also not sure if the display model is the only one they have in that model as well. Talked with mum today about it and we both decided that when it is installed we will ask the Pioneer guy to check the hours and if it is running more than say 500+ then we won't sign for it and ask the guy to return it to store. I'll ask (but don't think the Pioneer guy will do it, never know though?) if he can talk to the manager of the store (WOW sight and sound) help us get a new Pioneer instead of this display model. Even if the Pioneer guy won't help I will make a complaint to consumer affairs if I can and see if that helps. I checked out the reciept from the store and in small print on the back it says the following:-

Refund, exchange & repair policy:

If goods are faulty, WRONGLY DESCRIBED, different from a sample shown to you or don't do what they are supposed to we will, depending on the circumstances, discuss either a refund, exchange, repair or credit with you.

So if the running hours on the 427 are over 500+ I will asked for a refund/exchange or credit as the goods were wrongly described to us (and will be able to prove the hours to them on the service menu). Hopefully mum being there too will help as she was told the tv had been setup only 2 weeks as well. I guess at this point anything is worth a go! Because I always get panic attacks when out in public it gets really hard to think straight, I just swet really bad and I try not too but I know I look really nervus (sorry bad spelling), all I want to do and get back home. Still $3,000 is a lot of money to me as I am on a pension so I will try.

Find out what the going rate for a 428xda is and use that as some sort of argument. I would guess that the going rate would be around low to mid 3's so a floor stock 427xda should be around $2500 and lower.

If you find it hard talking to the salesman perhaps you could ask a freind to come along so you have support.

Ask him how they came with the $4999 price for the 42" model when the new model was less than that and most places including HN are now selling the new 50" model for less than that.

It sound's like they put an inflated RRP then slashed it by $2000 to make people think they where getting a bargain and last I heard that was an illegal practice.

I know for a fact that the RRP for a 507xda was $4999 so I'm guessing the RRP for a 427 would have been $3999.

He might try and say that $2999 is still a huge discounted price but remind him it's not when the TV is old stock, used and a new current model could be had for not much more.

It sound's like you still haven't recieved the TV, if this is so and you really aren't happy with the price just go in and cancel the order and use all these argument's.

If they wont, remind them that they stated the TV was only 2 weeks old and you want proof of that when the TV is delivered. Also tell them you know the service menu can give you that information incase they try the old that can't be done and there's no way to find out how many HR's it done BS.

Edit- Just saw on another thread that the RRP for the 427xda was infact $4999 when they first came out more than 14mths ago but that RRP did in fact drop so HN are playing games using the original RRP knowing RRP for those plasma's dropped some time after release.

Edited by chrissyoscar

Thanks Chrissyoscar for the info! I will go down to the retailer tomorrow with mum and see what happens. Your right I haven't gotten the tv delieved yet. I brought it on boxing day and the salesman said they would contact Pioneer ( a 5min phone call) to inform them of the sale so they can contact me about a delivery time. When they do Pioneer will contact me a day later. But as of late Friday the retailer still hasn't. Also a bit worried about the tv sitting in the docking bay out back without a box (wrapped in bubble wrap I was told) while the retailer takes it time to contact Pioneer. What happens if it is damaged there?. I know the tv is insured for delivery but not sure about after I have brought it and it is still in the store? Also the retailer in question is wow sight and sound.

I didn't know putting a inflated RRP on a tv was illegal thanks for pointing that out! I'll try to see if I can buy a new 428XDA and just pay the difference. Will see what happens tomorrow...

Thanks Chrissyoscar for the info! I will go down to the retailer tomorrow with mum and see what happens. Your right I haven't gotten the tv delieved yet. I brought it on boxing day and the salesman said they would contact Pioneer ( a 5min phone call) to inform them of the sale so they can contact me about a delivery time. When they do Pioneer will contact me a day later. But as of late Friday the retailer still hasn't. Also a bit worried about the tv sitting in the docking bay out back without a box (wrapped in bubble wrap I was told) while the retailer takes it time to contact Pioneer. What happens if it is damaged there?. I know the tv is insured for delivery but not sure about after I have brought it and it is still in the store? Also the retailer in question is wow sight and sound.

I didn't know putting a inflated RRP on a tv was illegal thanks for pointing that out! I'll try to see if I can buy a new 428XDA and just pay the difference. Will see what happens tomorrow...

Oop's I don't know why i thought it was HN I should have spotted it was from Sight and Sound.

Look luck and be firm.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a PDP-508XDA connected to a DV-400 DVD player via a version 1.3 HDMI cable. Picture and sound are great, but I can't get the HDMI control functions to work.

Does anyone know if the DV-400 is 1.3 compatible or had any luck getting the HDMI controls to work.

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

I have a PDP-508XDA connected to a DV-400 DVD player via a version 1.3 HDMI cable. Picture and sound are great, but I can't get the HDMI control functions to work.

Does anyone know if the DV-400 is 1.3 compatible or had any luck getting the HDMI controls to work.

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

I have the same set up. I have no issues at all. Can you describe the problem in more detail? I have no problem with getting the HDMI controls to work. Are you talking about the DVD's HDMI settings or the TV's?

I have the same set up. I have no issues at all. Can you describe the problem in more detail? I have no problem with getting the HDMI controls to work. Are you talking about the DVD's HDMI settings or the TV's?

Thanks Damo,

I am wanting to be able to pause/play and power off the DVD using the HDMI control on the Plasma's remote via the plasma.

I have two HDMI devices, a PC into input 3 and the DVD into input 4.

I have enabled HDMI control on input 4 only. When I turn on the HDMI control panel, all menus are grayed out and I cannot select anything.