Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

When i was looking at one on a store i went to change the channel and i thought i had done something to the panel but then i realised it was just the tuner was really slow.

does anyone have a 428xda and if so what do they think of them?

Also what is the sound echo problem that i have seen popping up in some posts here?

Is there a problem with the panel?

Suggest you read through the relevant posts. It seems to be isolated and/or specific to certain setups. I have no problem with audio sync.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But don't fret, the XDA model is simply superb and will provide a better PQ compared to other 1080p 50" screens (such as panasonic and samsung) even though its only 720p.

the panel is actually fully 768p capable, its the material you feed it that might be "only" 720p

the panel is actually fully 768p capable, its the material you feed it that might be "only" 720p

Hi all... I have the 428 model (awesome) and just wondering is it best to set my Denon 2930 to output 720p or I am also able to set it to PC RES XGA mode and the Pioneer displays the input up in the top right corner as 1024 X 768, 60 Hz , which from my understanding is it's native. The PQ is tops when the Denon is in XGA but when in this mode the only PQ adjustments I am able to make from home menu is the contrast and R,G,B +/- as opposed to a full adjustment I am able to make when the Denon is set to 720p. With the R,G,B set correctly ( but how to do..? ) I am sure it would provide something outstanding. In both modes the PQ is fabulous..

Any thoughts which would be the better..? I like the PQ when the Denon is out putting 1024 X 768 but I lose the PQ adjustments.. does this matter if the R,G,B is set correctly in the XGA mode..?

Anyone else come across this..?

Akseland

In PC mode the tv becomes a "Dumb" monitor you do all the adjustments to picture in the PC.

Dot to Dot mode on aspect switching gets rid of overscan.

I presume the 428xda does do dot to dot :excl:

Hello.. Well if the 428 becomes just a monitor then i will just set the Denon to 720p and calibrate the Pioneer/Denon correctly. I imagine the 428 does ' dot to dot ', but if I am to lose all the PQ adjustments then I will stick with 720p.

Thanks for your help.

Hello.. Well if the 428 becomes just a monitor then i will just set the Denon to 720p and calibrate the Pioneer/Denon correctly. I imagine the 428 does ' dot to dot ', but if I am to lose all the PQ adjustments then I will stick with 720p.

Thanks for your help.

Got the LX508 today, pretty happy with it for foxtel, digital and xbox360 works great. Im using the monster component xbox360 cable which i got real cheap in the states, but i doubt it does anything to performance over the original xbox component cable but look more bling.

Colors need some tuning though watching the soccer today and the grass looked a little to green it seems the settings are made to sell the tv's in shops.

Edited by sefu88

Hey all,

really enjoying my new screen, 508XDA.

Fired up one of my fave movies today, Sin City. And, well, I have the plainbow effect a.k.a. phosphor delay a.k.a. yellow flashes on the screen.

Sin City is apparently the worst for this effect as the contrast is perhaps the greatest of any movie that has been made recently. I tried some other black and white stuff and i got a little bit of plainbow, but on colour stuff I don't get any (or it is negligible level -- even with high contrast scenes).

Does anybody else get this effect? watch sin city if you think you have it, the effect will soon reveal itself. I'm actually a bit perversely proud to be in such a minority, even though it means I can't really watch one of my favourite movies on my new tv.

Haven't tried video gaming yet, but I assume it would be the same (ie. black and white will display the effect, colour won't.)

Also, does anybody know of any super-high-contrast colour films that would test for plainbow?

Thanks

Edited by lukeharris

Do you know anyone that can do it cheaper than $600 and do will do a great job ?.

$600 ????!!!!!! - where did you get that figure from ??? F*&K !!

Call Aaron from Avical (services all states) - under $400 and cheaper with cash.

(everybody on the forums uses him and comes highly recommended from Pioneer)

http://www.avicalaustralia.com.au/contact.htm

;)

Edited by hermes_2k5

Getting the 508XDA installed (wall mount) on Friday. Anything I should be aware of when dealing with the installers? Don't want to discover something I should have checked on 5 mins after they leave. Also, will be feeding DVD via HDMI from an upscaling Denon player, what is the best signal to feed to the 508XDA - 720p/1080i/1080p?

On HDTVTEST they say this:

"When fed with supported resolutions, you can achieve zero overscan in the [PC] mode over VGA (after "Auto Adjust") and HDMI, but because white balance controls, film deinterlacing and colour management system are disabled in this mode, I'd avoid it at all costs. "

If I want to connect my laptop how do I avoid this at all costs? Do they simply mean don't connect a PC?

I'm also amazed that currently I can connect at a resolution of 1360 x 768 and it looks great. Pretty good considering the native resolution of the screen is 1024 x 768. I've only tried VGA - have people had good experiences connecting PC (or Macbooks) via HDMI?

Getting the 508XDA installed (wall mount) on Friday. Anything I should be aware of when dealing with the installers? Don't want to discover something I should have checked on 5 mins after they leave. Also, will be feeding DVD via HDMI from an upscaling Denon player, what is the best signal to feed to the 508XDA - 720p/1080i/1080p?

If you are wall mounting make sure you get all your cables put in now. If you have Foxtel you probably should have a SCART to component cable ready. Again if you have Foxtel you might get them to set up the remote control so it can switch Foxtel channels via the STB setting (I found 009 Sky Digital seems to work some of the time - it's a bit flaky at deciding when it wants to change channel). Get them to set your XDA remote to work the Denon player as well.

I've got a Pioneer DV-400V and the Pioneer installers set it to 1080i output via HDMI. Now it didn't look half bad compared to the old 72cm Calida but I noticed some nasty looking artifacts on a DVD that had Fireworks on it (Zodiac). So I set it to 1080p output and it looks streets better. Not sure why they would have set it to 1080i - any ideas?

Make sure they don't leave any of the screen settings on DYNAMIC - they'll probably set to Optimum - tweaking USER for each input is what you'll end up doing later.

My installers wanted to set everything to WIDE - I reckon FULL is better for now (Can't see myself ever using the WIDE setting).

They also did not set it up so that it automatically put the 'protective' gray masks on 4:3 stuff shown on HD channels (does not work on Foxtel's SD unfortunately) - check the manual for how to do this.

You'll find them to be very polite and efficient and they don't leave a mess. Enjoy the 508XDA!

Have you worked out how high you want to put it? I got mine (508XDA) installed too high and was just not content - ended up paying someone else to come back and lower it down as far as was feasible. Am one happy camper now.

If you are wall mounting make sure you get all your cables put in now. If you have Foxtel you probably should have a SCART to component cable ready. Again if you have Foxtel you might get them to set up the remote control so it can switch Foxtel channels via the STB setting (I found 009 Sky Digital seems to work some of the time - it's a bit flaky at deciding when it wants to change channel). Get them to set your XDA remote to work the Denon player as well.

I've got a Pioneer DV-400V and the Pioneer installers set it to 1080i output via HDMI. Now it didn't look half bad compared to the old 72cm Calida but I noticed some nasty looking artifacts on a DVD that had Fireworks on it (Zodiac). So I set it to 1080p output and it looks streets better. Not sure why they would have set it to 1080i - any ideas?

Make sure they don't leave any of the screen settings on DYNAMIC - they'll probably set to Optimum - tweaking USER for each input is what you'll end up doing later.

My installers wanted to set everything to WIDE - I reckon FULL is better for now (Can't see myself ever using the WIDE setting).

They also did not set it up so that it automatically put the 'protective' gray masks on 4:3 stuff shown on HD channels (does not work on Foxtel's SD unfortunately) - check the manual for how to do this.

You'll find them to be very polite and efficient and they don't leave a mess. Enjoy the 508XDA!

Thanks for that. I was planning to connect the 508XDA to my Denon 2807 AVR and pass all video through this rather than connect DVD player etc directly to the TV - any comments on this?

Suppose I could connect 2 x HDMI cables to the panel and mix and match direct connection vs pass thru AVR. Should I add a component cable just in case (although I currently I do not have any sources that would use this).

Have you worked out how high you want to put it? I got mine (508XDA) installed too high and was just not content - ended up paying someone else to come back and lower it down as far as was feasible. Am one happy camper now.

Thanks, we have thought about this and will get the installers to move it around a bit so we can look at it from our usual viewing position before settling on the height.

Thanks, we have thought about this and will get the installers to move it around a bit so we can look at it from our usual viewing position before settling on the height.

Owners of the wall mount, can you please advise is the wall mount tiltable or fixed ?

What size Is the wall mount (ie: a large wall bracket or a smaller size bracket ) ?

If you would need to take the TV off the wall mount to re-locate, could you do it yourself or would you need to call Pio again ?

I'm still deciding whether to go stand for now and buy bracket later as I might re-locate in 12-18 months..

Owners of the wall mount, can you please advise is the wall mount tiltable or fixed ?

What size Is the wall mount (ie: a large wall bracket or a smaller size bracket ) ?

If you would need to take the TV off the wall mount to re-locate, could you do it yourself or would you need to call Pio again ?

I'm still deciding whether to go stand for now and buy bracket later as I might re-locate in 12-18 months..

Fixed bracket, not tiltable

bracket is about 2/3 the size of the screen

If you know how to use a drill and have some drill bits then you can relocate yourself (make sure you have somebody helping you to handle the TV).

i would go wall mount. You can always patch the wall and paint afterwards. Also you can select your height whereas you cannot with a stand

Edited by quintessence

Thanks for that. I was planning to connect the 508XDA to my Denon 2807 AVR and pass all video through this rather than connect DVD player etc directly to the TV - any comments on this?

Suppose I could connect 2 x HDMI cables to the panel and mix and match direct connection vs pass thru AVR. Should I add a component cable just in case (although I currently I do not have any sources that would use this).

One advantage of connecting video direct to the panel is that you can then have different pictures settings on the 508 for each input I run all my video direct and only the audio through the AVR.

Had my 508XDA installed. Wall mount with HDMI pass-through Denon AVR 2807 from Denon 1930 DVD player. Have found 1080p signal from DVD player produces far and away the best pic (even though 720p was recommended as closer to the native resolution of the panel). LOTR TFR Part 1 was excellent last night (black levels really make a diff on this film), really looking forward to Part 2 tonight (encounter with the Balroc in Moria should be test for the panel). Kids have loved Happy Feet and Peter Pan (live action version), will prob crank up Spiderman 1, 2 & 3 or Transformers later today. Have used Drive mode 3 for movies, Drive mode 1 for FTA.

FTA has been excellent. Have not found channel delay too long, slightly longer than our old Panasonic set top box. Interestingly have had none of the signal break-up probs we had previously, put this down to early generation HD set top box.

Pioneer installers were excellent - mounted on an interior wall so they drilled through the wall and passed cable through wall, conduit on reverse side and back through into the av unit. Net result is very clean - at night the panel looks like it's floating above the AV cabinet, during the day it's like having a moving painting on the wall.

Will post a pic once we have finished stowing movie & CD collection in the cabinet. :)

Question for 508XDA owners with blu-ray or HD-DVD. Will I see much difference in PQ on my 508XDA if I go to a true HD source? I must say the PQ now from my upscaling DVD player is pretty impressive, wonder if there's much value in upgrading to blu-ray or HD-DVD.

It depends on viewing distance and screen size as to how much improvement you will see, but HD disks offer MUCH better quality in every respect.