Sign in to follow this  
laurie

Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

Not sure if this applies to the 768p models just check that the Drive Mode Setting (in option menu)is set to 2 (100Hz) not 1 which is (72Hz) and may be the default setting this should stop any judger while viewing dvd

cheers laurie

Surely someone has bought one of these models come on guys your views?

cheers laurie

i just found out the lx608 and 508 will only do 1360*768 resolution using 15 pin RGB... BOOOOOOOOOOO

But they have a bunch of HDMI ports that can do 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan in "PC mode"

With an adaptor you can just pump DVI in via the HDMI port.

Sucks for Xbox though. Gotta get an elite or use component (which is limited to 1080i)

i just found out the lx608 and 508 will only do 1360*768 resolution using 15 pin RGB... BOOOOOOOOOOO

I wrekon manufacturers are just trying to push punters away from older technology, by limiting the usability of the connection

Edited by matthewa

Why is this thread titled “Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 720p”

It’s 768p not 720p, not that it really makes any difference.

If you are running a PC, why would you want to run anything other then 1360*768 or similar on this panel?

Not sure if this applies to the 768p models just check that the Drive Mode Setting (in option menu)is set to 2 (100Hz) not 1 which is (72Hz) and may be the default setting this should stop any judger while viewing dvd

cheers laurie

Not if you are looking at NTSC DVDs for HD-DVD at 60Hz or Blu-Ray at 24Hz... (???)

Probably because they're 1080p panels.

correct. i probably should have clarified but the lx range is 1080P

why in gods name would they not allow it? i know most pc's these days should have hdmi out... but mine is only 8 months old, and because i went with a commercial model.. hp nw9440 ($5100 lappy at the time), i didn't get an hdmi out... and at that price it's gonna be a while before work springs for a new one... BUGGER... 52" Sony bravia does it... BUT I WANT THE PIONEER... no way round it i don't think..

Probably because they're 1080p panels.

Urrr, maybe not, the 428XDA and 508XDA (which is what this thread is about) are both 768p panels.

The 1080p models WILL support 1920x1080 over HDMI from a PC or any other source.

I have my PC hooked up with a DVI -> HDMI cable and the 508XDA panels native res. is 1360 x 768 (my card card is running the panel @ 60Hz). It's so very very nice from the PC....even the pio. install guys were impressed!

I have forced the card to 1920 x 1080 and the 508XDA will display it, but it's fuzzy (as you would expect as it's above the native res. and the panel needs to scale it down).

FYI - the PC is a core 2 6600 and the card is an ATI 1950 Pro.

Sleepreq'd...FYI - you can get DVI->HDMI cales on e-bay for $20-$40. HDMI uses the same signals, just a diff. pinout/connector - so it's just a straight through cable.

Edited by Tom Waters

Sucks for Xbox though. Gotta get an elite or use component (which is limited to 1080i)

Pretty sure last years spring update enabled 1080p via component.

correct. i probably should have clarified but the lx range is 1080P

why in gods name would they not allow it? i know most pc's these days should have hdmi out... but mine is only 8 months old, and because i went with a commercial model.. hp nw9440 ($5100 lappy at the time), i didn't get an hdmi out... and at that price it's gonna be a while before work springs for a new one... BUGGER... 52" Sony bravia does it... BUT I WANT THE PIONEER... no way round it i don't think..

You'll probably find a docking station to match you laptop that wil have a DVI output. Might cost you a few hundred, but at least you could then go with your first pick

Why is this thread titled “Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 720p”

It’s 768p not 720p, not that it really make any difference.

Gee sorry Owen :blush:

cheers laurie

But they have a bunch of HDMI ports that can do 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan in "PC mode"

With an adaptor you can just pump DVI in via the HDMI port.

I've got an Elite, but still (impatiently) waiting on my 508XD delivery. I will of course try various settings when I get set up, but what do you think would give the best result from the Elite's HDMI for 720p games - a setting of 720p and let the 508 scale up a bit, or 1080p which would mean the Xbox scales up and then the 508 scales down?

Pretty sure last years spring update enabled 1080p via component.

1080p via component would solve the problem for the xbox, problem is still the lappy only has rgb and s-video out... docking station may be an alternative though...

can't believe a commercial grade lappy that's less than 12 months old and cost 5100 doesn't have hdmi... can't believe a 12000 tv wont take RGB up to 1920 x 1080...

but thanks for the suggestions people

Laptops don’t really need HDMI, many have DVI output which is HDMI compatible.

All you need is a DVI-HDMI cable and away you go.

Laptops don’t need really HDMI, many have DVI output which is HDMI compatible.

All you need is a DVI-HDMI cable and away you go.

My 20 month old DELL had DVI out, but I optioned in a decent nVidia 6800 video system with 256Meg when I purchased (at significant cost mind you).

Any owners notice any buzzing or fan noise from their XD unit? Not saying there should be any btw. It's just that's the sort of thing that could bug me more than perhaps the average person, and I will be sitting fairly close to the panel too.

Edited by Felix.

Any owners notice any buzzing or fan noise from their XD unit? Not saying there should be any btw. It's just that's the sort of thing that could bug me more than perhaps the average person, and I will be sitting fairly close to the panel too.

G'day Felix,

None from mine and I am very sensitive to high freq. noise.

Cheers.

What drive mode settings are you guys running?

cheers laurie

I'm jumping in a bit early, but my 508 is coming tomorrow morn betwen 8 and 10. Reckon that nearly qualikfies me to post in the owners thread!

It has been a long wait (3 months), and I have the xbox 360+ HD addon and oppo 981 all ready to go, and a zillion DVDs to relive.

Not long now!