Sign in to follow this  
T800

Official Aus 'sony Bravia X Series' Calibration Thread

^You seem very proud of them caff111 & i dont blame you as they highly regarded elsewhere. They are the same as mine except i have brightness on 55 & I dont use noise reduction or DRC Mode as they DEFINITLEY contribute to ghosting/halo effects/pixelation & no 'clear white' either & 'Edge Enhancer ' off. However i sometimes do use ACE & or Gamma on Low when watching DivX streamed to the PS3. :wacko:

Hey everyone new to the board and new to hd tvs.

got a quick question

when i go thru the settings on my sony bravia kdl 40X3100

i notice that the DRC mode is greyed out. I have my Ps3 for watching blurays and a pioneer which upscales to 1080p (bth connected thru hdmi). i was curious as everyones settings here have drc on.

now the funny thing is when i turn of any of my players the option is available thru the tools menu. does anyone know why this is and if this is a fault on the tv? also to note when i go into the hdmi set up and look under device list it says no devices found even though i have both players connected thru hdmi

many thanks before hand as im pulling my bloody hair out trying to figure out this problem!

I've noticed some shimmering during fast movements while watching the Olympics (7HD) on my KDL46X3100 so I switched off the Motion Enhancer (it was on Standard) and find motion to be much smoother.

I made the same change on the XBMC input (xbox 720p over component) and I think that has improved motion too.

Anyone else have a preference for turning Motion Enhancer off?

Is NR off or on? if its on it can cause some images not to appear smooth for example - shadowing

Is NR off or on? if its on it can cause some images not to appear smooth for example - shadowing

Yeah, NR is on Low. Looks ok now with motion enhancement off. I'll swap them and see how it looks.

Hi there guys,

Totally new here and in a bit of a pickle at the moment, please help!

I recently bought a Bravia 46" xbr and a Sony 6.1 AV Receiver with HDMI and home theatre things. A couple of things are bothering me:

I would like to watch Foxtel and normal TV wieving without having the AV receiver ON all day, and only when watching DVD of BD's plus the occasional "live" entertainment.

The settings for this got me buggered and I dont seem to get much right except that I can watch Foxtel and whatever else ONLY by having the AV receiver ON all the time.

Also during the setting up, the Bravia tells me there's no HDMI device connected when the bloody thing is up and running!!! Do I have a crook HDMI cable? I paid a hundred dollars for it, but it may not mean anything huh?

If someone could post me a small diagram, I should be able to copy it quite quickly and I would be much obliged to anyone doing this for me.

Thank you all for your attention :rolleyes:

Hi there guys,

Totally new here and in a bit of a pickle at the moment, please help!

I recently bought a Bravia 46" xbr and a Sony 6.1 AV Receiver with HDMI and home theatre things. A couple of things are bothering me:

I would like to watch Foxtel and normal TV wieving without having the AV receiver ON all day, and only when watching DVD of BD's plus the occasional "live" entertainment.

The settings for this got me buggered and I dont seem to get much right except that I can watch Foxtel and whatever else ONLY by having the AV receiver ON all the time.

Also during the setting up, the Bravia tells me there's no HDMI device connected when the bloody thing is up and running!!! Do I have a crook HDMI cable? I paid a hundred dollars for it, but it may not mean anything huh?

If someone could post me a small diagram, I should be able to copy it quite quickly and I would be much obliged to anyone doing this for me.

Thank you all for your attention :rolleyes:

Hi

Need to know how you currently have it all connected eg Foxtel direct to Bravia with component or ?????

Michael

Thanks for that Michael,

Well, at the moment all I have connected is Foxtel to Video 1 via r/l and video cords. I did have a look at my neighbours last night and noticed she had a Scart to Component connection provided by Foxtel which made me believe it could be the right to do it?????

I would appreciate any help on this matter as I am very frustrated and ready to call an Installer, so he can charge me $135 for knocking at my door hahhaha!

Have a nice day

Alex

Thanks for that Michael,

Well, at the moment all I have connected is Foxtel to Video 1 via r/l and video cords. I did have a look at my neighbours last night and noticed she had a Scart to Component connection provided by Foxtel which made me believe it could be the right to do it?????

I would appreciate any help on this matter as I am very frustrated and ready to call an Installer, so he can charge me $135 for knocking at my door hahhaha!

Have a nice day

Alex

Hi Alex

I'm assuming you're getting video, but no audio, is this correct? And that you're going direct from the foxtel box to the Bravia. Not via the AVR.

Have you checked the audio settings on the bravia. Under that menu there is a selection for TV Speaker or AVR. I would also recommend getting the scart to component video cable. The source is still pretty crap :rolleyes: but should try and get the best you can. You can get a good quality cable from Selby's, cheaper than the foxtel ones from DSE.

Michael

Some users say having cinema drive and motion enhancing off would makes motion even smoother..................what's everyone's findings here? What should I be using for FTA TV programs ? I am using standard for motion enhancer and auto 2 for cinema drive.........Any opinions ?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....ng&page=144

Any advice, guys ?? Thanks !!!

Some users say having cinema drive and motion enhancing off would makes motion even smoother..................what's everyone's findings here? What should I be using for FTA TV programs ? I am using standard for motion enhancer and auto 2 for cinema drive.........Any opinions ?

Any bravia X users here ? What's your opinions on motion enhancer and cinema drive ?? Thanks

Hi does any one know why or if this is normal, I have a blue colour in the top left corner its the worst there, its like its bleeding through there should I take it back or what I just got the tv 2 days ago and its the bravia 46xbr.

Hi does any one know why or if this is normal, I have a blue colour in the top left corner its the worst there, its like its bleeding through there should I take it back or what I just got the tv 2 days ago and its the bravia 46xbr.

Sounds like you have a stuck pixel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=56174

I'd suggest you get close to the screen and make a note of how many dodgy pixels you have and approx where they're located. Then contact Sony support (or maybe the retailer) and see if they'll fix/replace the TV under warranty. Good luck!

Side note: If you can put some flat colours on the screen, bad pixels will be easier to spot. One idea is the create a number of single colour 1080x1920 pixel RGB JPEGs in a paint program like Photoshop - eg: black (0/0/0), white (255/255/255), red (255/0/0), magenta (255/0/255), blue (0/0/255), light blue (0/255/255), yellow (255/255/0), green (0/255/0), 50% grey (147/147/147). Put them on a USB memory stick (PC FAT16 format), plug it into the Bravia's side USB port, and view them with the TV's photo viewer.

To save you some time, I've uploaded the JPEGs here (49KB):

http://rapidshare.com/files/140135439/colours.zip.html

The link will be active for around 90 days.

Any experts here ? Where are the Sony Bravia users these days ? Thanks !

Hi All,

Does anyone use the HDMI settings? I only got my 40x3100 last night and was curious if they make a whole lot of difference?

What sound do you use. I've only got the TV (no receiver/surround) but I mean do you use surround/forced etc....

Thanks

Maxy

Hi,

in regards to using HDMI I bought a 'Monster Cable' HDMI and have it connected from the TV to my PS3. From my humble understanding this will deliver the best possible transfer of video back to the tv. I use my PS3 as my DVD player and use its optical output to my digital amplifier. There is no lag of any description and I am very happy with the overall system.

To answer another question I have fiddled with Cinema Drive and Motion Enhancing, and to tell you the truth the amount of times that anyone could tell the difference between having them on or off is extremely minimal. I have turned both of these settings off now.

I do believe that this may also solve some audio lag problems some people are experiencing as it takes the tv longer to process video.

In regards to using tv without an amplifier/receiver I would recommend using surround/force as it gives another dimension to the sound.

Hope my two cents helps someone.

cheers

Guys - just spent the afternoon at a mates place calibrating his KDL46x3100 with my dtp-94 and color hcfr.. (also got a XBR46 on my to-do list!) so will get to that one shortly and see what differences there are.

We ended up with 2 configurations. One with all the digital processing turned off, and one with some of the digital processing turned on, and some adjustments to make the image a little more vivid (brighter image).

We also played around with most of the settings and took readings with the sensor to see what affect they had to grayscale, lumanace, gamma, primary and secondary colours. Some interesting findings :-)

Here are the settings, observations, and i'll link in the ColorHCFR files showing what the settings did (as well as the final calibration results for the two options mentioned above).

Display: SONY KDL-46-x3100

Sensor: DTP-94

Calibration S/w: Color HCFR w/ HDTV REC 709 colourspace

Pattern Disc: AVCHD RC1 Revision 2/21/08 (AVSForums)

Source: Sony PS3

Interconnect: HDMI

Setting 1: Very neutral / natural looking image

Custom (achieves 39-40ftl w/2.24 Gamma)

Backlight: 2

Picture: 63

Brightness: 48

Colour: 50

Color Temperature: neutral

Sharpness: 50

Noise Reduction: off

MPEG Noise Reduction: off

DRC: off

Advanced Menu:

Black Corrector: off

Advanced Contrast Enhancer: off

Gamma: off

Clear white: off

Colour space: standard

Live colour: off

White balance menu:

Red Gain: -8

Green Gain: 0

Blue Gain: -14

Red Bias: 1

Green Bias: 0

Red Bias: -5

Detail Enhancer: off

Edge Enhancer: off

Setting 2: A more vivid image, with some digital enhancements turned on

Backlight: 2

Picture: 80

Brightness: 48

Colour: 50

Colour Temperature: Neutral

Sharpness 85

Noise reduction low

Mpeg off

Drc mode 1

Drc pallet 60,60

Advanced Menu:

Black corrector: low

Adv contrast: off

Gamma: low

Clear white: low

Colour space: standard

Live colour: high

White balance menu:

Red Gain: -6

Green Gain: 0

Blue Gain: -17

Red Bias: -1

Green Bias: 0

Blue Bias: -5

Detail Enhancer: on

Edge Enhancer: on

Observations on the affect of the different digital enhancers / settings in the menus:

Picture setting (contrast) or backlight: has no effect other than increase the intensity of white – does not effect gamma, luminance, colour or grayscale tracking

Sharpness: does not effect gamma, luminance, colour or grayscale tracking

Noise reduction: low does nothing to calibrated image

DRC mode: changes gray tracking

Clarity/reality: changes gray tracking

Black level corrector: low – v small difference to luminance, top end gamma decrease (down)

Dynamic Contrast Enhancer: boosts the low end luminance, mostly effects mid tones (30-70IRE) flatlines luminance between 60IRE and 70IRE

Gamma: high, moves gamma curve down lower – increases low/mid luminance curve

Clear white: adds a little blue, and effects the grayscale

Colour space: wide - moves green primary

Live colour: moved red primary out a tiny tiny bit – barely noticable

Links to the Colour HCFR graphs here (main ones are also in jpg's for those that cant see the ColorHCFR files). You can just install the ColorHCFR s/w without needing a sensor - this will let you view the graphs/measurements I took.

Cheers,

Bitey

Edited by mr.bitey

Hi everyone. Have asked this in a panasonic thread and I guess cross posting may be frowned upon but in the interests of balance I would like your opinions regarding a Sony KLD40XBR vs a Panasonic TX 37LZD800A (Sony will cost me about $300 more). Please post ASAP as I may bite the bullet tomorrow.

Edited by AFCfan

AFCfan - not a cool thing to do in a sony dedicated calibration thread.. what do you expect? all the sony owners to tell you to get the panasonic?? :-)

I'd suggest starting a new thread for your specific question - no panasonic owners are likely to come in here :-)

Cheers,

Bitey

I'd suggest starting a new thread for your specific question

Cheers,

Bitey

I would like to but didn't seem to be able to when I attempted this yesterday.

AFCfan - what do you expect? all the sony owners to tell you to get the panasonic?? :-)

Cheers,

Bitey

Thought that I might find XBR owners who had decided on the Sony over the Panasonic and interested to hear why.

Try the bravia owners thread - you'll get more people reading that one.

You couldnt start a new thread because you didnt have enough posts (see red text thread).

You'll still get a better outcome if you started a seperate thread....

Cheers,

Bitey

Put them on a USB memory stick (PC FAT16 format), plug it into the Bravia's side USB port, and view them with the TV's photo viewer.

To save you some time, I've uploaded the JPEGs here (49KB):

http://rapidshare.com/files/140135439/colours.zip.html

The link will be active for around 90 days.

Thanks for the files. Now that I have worked out how to format a USB to FAT16, why is that necessary?