Color Matrix: Auto

Light Sensor: Off

What are peoples opinion of these settings:

...snip...

Hue: 50

...snip...

CineMotion: Auto 1

...snip..

Another Warm 2 setup! :D I'm curious to see what effect those RGB tweaks have.

In case anyone's wondering: Hue is for NTSC only; Cinemotion is the US name for Cinema Drive. The settings seem to originate from here:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/flatpane...br4/index5.html

meh: Have you tried them out yourself yet?

I tried these settings today and so far, they're the best i've used.

I just watched Batman Begins on HD DVD and the blacks were great.

Thanks!

I just tried the setup as well and it works well for me, so thanks to Dr Z!

Edited by Eugene

I tried them out but still not a fan of warm 2, thats just me tho

I don't like warm 2 either.

Those last settings seem even better than the others on FTA TV,but i'll check them out with upscaled DVD ,HD DVD and Xbox 360 gaming before making a conclusion.

It would be great if you could have 2 TVs set up individually side by side to compare the different calibrations while playing exactly the same source at the same time.

This way you could get a better idea of the changes made without relying on your memory.

As we all know, there is no "correct" or "Uber" calibration for these or any other displays,as everone has different tastes in how the ideal picture should look.

Light conditions also come into it, as well as the viewers eyes focus and colour perception.

But so far DR Z's are the best for me.

Edited by whitey66

It would be great if you could have 2 TVs set up individually side by side to compare the different calibrations while playing exactly the same source at the same time.

This way you could get a better idea of the changes made without relying on your memory.

You can quickly switch between different calibrations by storing each in a different Picture Mode (Custom/Cinema/Vivid/Standard).

Hi,

I just bought a bravia 40x3100 last weekend. At first I thought the image was amazing on FTA until I got sick of the vivid setting and switched to standard. I watched a DVD and found that the picture move unnaturally (turned on theatre mode seemed to work).

My issue is that there are so many settings, I don't know which one to tweak. I'm not really unhappy with the image quality, but I can constantly see the image blurring in fast moving scenes. My wife was watching so you can think you can dance the other day and even she picked it up (contestants hair was the most noticably blurred during fast movement), so i know it's not me being fussy. I have tried messing around with different combinations of motionflow and cinema drive. I found that both these settings make the image seem unnatural and 'lagging'/blurry at best.

I'm getting to the point were I'd rather watch my old crt than this TV. For the price I really didn't expect to have to watching giant blurry objects move around the screen. I would be really happy if i could just get rid of the blur effect visible on fast moving objects. Can someone give me any advise on how to solve?

Hi,

I just bought a bravia 40x3100 last weekend. At first I thought the image was amazing on FTA until I got sick of the vivid setting and switched to standard. I watched a DVD and found that the picture move unnaturally (turned on theatre mode seemed to work).

My issue is that there are so many settings, I don't know which one to tweak. I'm not really unhappy with the image quality, but I can constantly see the image blurring in fast moving scenes. My wife was watching so you can think you can dance the other day and even she picked it up (contestants hair was the most noticably blurred during fast movement), so i know it's not me being fussy. I have tried messing around with different combinations of motionflow and cinema drive. I found that both these settings make the image seem unnatural and 'lagging'/blurry at best.

I'm getting to the point were I'd rather watch my old crt than this TV. For the price I really didn't expect to have to watching giant blurry objects move around the screen. I would be really happy if i could just get rid of the blur effect visible on fast moving objects. Can someone give me any advise on how to solve?

Try my settings mate, a few people so far have found them to be great :)

Picture Mode - Custom

Backlight - 2

Picture - 90

Brightness - 49

Colour - 49

HUE: (Grayed Out)

Colour Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 50

Noise Red - off

Mpeg Noise - off

DRC Mode - Mode 1

DRC Palette - Reality 40 / Clarity 60

Advance Settings

Black Corrector - off

Advance C.E - Low

Gamma - off

Clear White - off

Live Colour - off

Colour Space - Standard

Detail Enhancer - off

Edge Enhancer - off

White Balance - All Zero

Power Saving - Off

Light Sensor - Off

Motion Enhancer - Standard

CineMotion - Auto 2

Hope it helps

Hi,

What you're probably seeing is the drop in motion resolution that occurs in Standard and Vivid picture modes. It's all explained in this article: http://hdguru.com/?p=131

Excerpt:

As with the de-interlacing test, static and moving resolution results were picture mode dependent. “Custom” and “Cinema” modes produced 1080 “lines” of static resolution and 600 lines of motion resolution. “Standard” mode produced1080/580 static/motion and “Vivid,” the factory default produced a disappointing, but not surprising 880/450 static/motion. This is yet another reason to get this set out of the “Vivid” mode.

As it says, Custom and Cinema modes (aka Theatre Mode) don't have this problem, so storing your favourite settings in either of these locations will deliver a sharper moving picture.

I'll also add that not all TV programs are created equal. Many are overcompressed, overprocessed, upscaled from a low rez source, etc. HDTVs are really good at showing these imperfections - CRTs on the other hand are far more forgiving.

Edited by hui

I've been studying the forums... and I've been playing with the settings for the last 3 months..

Here is my UPDATED settings: (mainly derived from the consensus of user settings from AVS)

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 7

Picture: 85

Brightness: 49

Color: 55

Color temp: Neutral

Sharpness: 50

Noise reduction: Low

MPEG noise reduction: Low

DRC mode: Mode 1 (Reality 40 / Clarity 60)

Advanced Settings

Black corrector: Off

Advanced C.E: Off

Gamma: Low

Clear white: Off

Color space: Standard

Live color: Off

Detail enhancer: Off

Edge enhancer: Off

Screen menu

Display Area: Full Pixel

Video Options menu

Motion Enhancer: Standard

CineMotion: Auto 1

General Menu

Light sensor: Off

Thanks for posting. I have been so fustrated over the last couple of months because when watching the scrolling bars at the bottom of the CNBC business channels everything looked pixelated / motion blur as the share prices went across the screen. Upgrading to a foxtel hd box didn't help either, however using your settings has eliminated 95% of occurences. Some how your settings must make it easier for the internal deinterlacer to work properly.

Picture Mode - Custom

Backlight - 2

Picture - 90

Brightness - 49

Colour - 49

Colour Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 50

Noise Red - off

Mpeg Noise - off

DRC Mode - Mode 1

Advance Settings

Black Corrector - off

Advance C.E - Low

Gamma - off

Clear White - off

Live Colour - off

Colour Space - Standard

Detail Enhancer - off

Edge Enhancer - off

White Balance - All Zero

Power Saving - Off

Light Sensor - Off

CineMotion - Auto 2

Hope it helps

Hi Dr Z, I've just tried these settings you've outlined and I think they are the best for me too. I noticed the first lot of setting you added to this thread are a bit different to this lot. Do you find this lot works better for you? I haven't tried the first setup you put up on the thread. One thing I was a bit concerned about is the Neutral Color Temperature. I found it a bit 'wash out.' And the Warm 2 a bit too yellow, so I went in the middle Warm 1. Not 100% convinced it's the right option yet.

Edited by meh:)

Yes those settings are the best I have come up with so far. But I found putting Noise Red from off to on "LOW". I was watching Two and a half men the other night and noticed heaps of noise in the PQ and when I turned this on "LOW" it cleared it up :)

I also toggle between Motion Enhancer from Standard to High with Video games and sports.

I used these settings for the first time with GTA IV yesterday and it looked great compared to vivid and standard which I have been using for the wow factor.

I find that the color temp "Neutral" gives the best skin tones and more Neutral look :)

Yes those settings are the best I have come up with so far. But I found putting Noise Red from off to on "LOW". I was watching Two and a half men the other night and noticed heaps of noise in the PQ and when I turned this on "LOW" it cleared it up :)

I also toggle between Motion Enhancer from Standard to High with Video games and sports.

I used these settings for the first time with GTA IV yesterday and it looked great compared to vivid and standard which I have been using for the wow factor.

I find that the color temp "Neutral" gives the best skin tones and more Neutral look :)

I just got my 40X last night so haven't get much chance to play with the settigs, what I currently have

Pioneer DV400 to onkyo SR605 and to 40X

I haven't pickup the HDMI cables but will definitely do it before knockoff tonight. (Selby maybe)

My question is which setting should I go with to get the best pics, mainly we will be watching the dvd from DV400 (upscaling I believe)

Thanks heaps

I just got my 40X last night so haven't get much chance to play with the settigs, what I currently have

Pioneer DV400 to onkyo SR605 and to 40X

I haven't pickup the HDMI cables but will definitely do it before knockoff tonight. (Selby maybe)

My question is which setting should I go with to get the best pics, mainly we will be watching the dvd from DV400 (upscaling I believe)

Thanks heaps

Try my custom settings mate, I find them great for everything :)

Will do tonight , thanks Dr Zoidberg

Try my custom settings mate, I find them great for everything :)

After the weekend of watching several different sources as well as over 4 hours of C.O.D 4 on Xbox 360, Dr Z's latest settings are as close to perfect as I could expect.

No more calibrating for me,i'm happy now.

Thanks again.

When you're playing games you really should turn on Game/Text Mode (Video Settings menu) - it'll give you the lowest possible controller latency. Motion Enhancer will be disabled in this mode, however, so running it in High won't be possible.

After the weekend of watching several different sources as well as over 4 hours of C.O.D 4 on Xbox 360, Dr Z's latest settings are as close to perfect as I could expect.

No more calibrating for me,i'm happy now.

Thanks again.

Glade you like them mate, I think I am done with them now, wont be making any more changes to them as its the best I can get.

Hope you all enjoy!!!

(Will try that Hui!)

Glade you like them mate, I think I am done with them now, wont be making any more changes to them as its the best I can get.

Hope you all enjoy!!!

(Will try that Hui!)

Dr Z. are you able to put your final configuration on the thread? Thanks

Picture Mode - Custom

Backlight - 2

Picture - 90

Brightness - 49

Colour - 49

Colour Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 50

Noise Red - off

Mpeg Noise - off

DRC Mode - Mode 1

Advance Settings

Black Corrector - off

Advance C.E - Low

Gamma - off

Clear White - off

Live Colour - off

Colour Space - Standard

Detail Enhancer - off

Edge Enhancer - off

White Balance - All Zero

Power Saving - Off

Light Sensor - Off

CineMotion - Auto 2

Hope it helps

While I agree that these setting's are a dramatic improvement over the four standard presets, im still experiencing a noticable 'yellow push' with the 'Warm 2' setting used especially with 'White Balance' all set to zero. I didn't realise this until i tried THESE 'Holy Grail' settings from avs forum >>> http://tjexbr.wiki.zoho.com/Marc-D-Carra.html (u can further enhance those settings by turning black correcter 'Off' & turning the 'Brightness down to 54ish, discoverd amogst the praise on avs)

Those ^ settings use "Power Saver" set to low with the backlight raised for great black levels & to eliminate the odd smearing that one encounters.

I FULLY recommend everyone try these settings & see for yourself's how much improvement & how much clearer everything looks with Marc's adjusted 'White balance' calibration. You'll never go back or have to fiddle in the dreaded menu again. One word AMAZING. Simply type them in to the 'Custom' or 'Cinema' preset & filck between these ones & the ones your using at the moment for your own comparison.

Edited by MrMan

Dr Z. are you able to put your final configuration on the thread? Thanks

Here you go :)

Picture Mode - CUSTOM

Backlight - 2

Picture - 90

Brightness - 49

Colour - 49

HUE - (Grayed Out, only used with NTSC signals)

Colour Temp - NEUTRAL

Sharpness - 50

Noise Red - LOW (Only use with FTA TV shows. Turn off when using PS3, 360, HD DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD inputs)

Mpeg Noise - OFF

DRC Mode - MODE 1

DRC Palette - REALITY 40 / CLARITY 60

Advance Settings

Black Corrector - OFF

Advance C.E - LOW

Gamma - OFF

Clear White - OFF

Live Colour - OFF

Colour Space - STANDARD

Detail Enhancer - OFF

Edge Enhancer - OFF

White Balance - All Zero

Power Saving - OFF

Light Sensor - OFF

Motion Enhancer - STANDARD (When watching Sport or some movies, you may want to put it on High)

CineMotion - AUTO 2

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

^ It is also recommended to reduce Blurring/Pixelation/Ghosting/Smearing that "Noise Reduction" & "DRC" be turned Off. The only time you may notice an improvement with Noise Reuction on Low is when watching Film based material such as CSI Miami , NCIS etc to help reduce the "Mosqetoe" effect.

The Holy Grail settings two posts above found HERE are definite winners.

Yer I dont use Noise Reduction on PS3 or 360, movies etc just FTA TV shows

Can anyone tell me what do Detail Enhancer and Edge Enhancer do? Do I turn it on for gaming only? What do they do to FTA shows?