Sign in to follow this  
T800

Official Aus 'sony Bravia X Series' Calibration Thread

Sorry for double post but couldnt seem to edit above

The Hue Setting is grayed out with Austar which is connected by S-Video, PS3 - HDMI & XBOX 360 Elite - HDMI. Cant seem to get HUE setting on so I can change it.

Anyone help me out here

yeah - I can't get hue to work either. not sure what signal it needs before it can be selected.

make sure you turn motion flow to off when viewing HD programs. It makes the faces sharper than is having the setting on standard.

Don't worry about the HUE setting, it's an NTSC thing only. Unless you are watching NTSC SD somehow, you won't get the option.

Is it true that Vivid wont show 1080?? I keep reading this in places.

I still cant find some good PS3 calibrations for Blu-Ray movies (Not Games)

I've been studying the forums... and I've been playing with the settings for the last 3 months..

Here is my UPDATED settings: (mainly derived from the consensus of user settings from AVS)

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 7

Picture: 85

Brightness: 49

Color: 55

Color temp: Neutral

Sharpness: 50

Noise reduction: Low

MPEG noise reduction: Low

DRC mode: Mode 1 (Reality 40 / Clarity 60)

Advanced Settings

Black corrector: Off

Advanced C.E: Off

Gamma: Low

Clear white: Off

Color space: Standard

Live color: Off

Detail enhancer: Off

Edge enhancer: Off

Screen menu

Display Area: Full Pixel

Video Options menu

Motion Enhancer: Standard

CineMotion: Auto 1

General Menu

Light sensor: Off

is anyone else experiencing off-colour whites with their TV when viewing FTA? mine seems to have a yellow-ish tint that I can't get rid of....

You're probably in "Cinema" mode or have hit the "Theater" button. Set the picture mode to "Standard", which starts with a neutural colour temperature.

I see a lot of Bravia owners are liking the Warm colour temp presets as used by the cinema mode; I can't imagine why. It makes everything look yellow.

Ive found pushing the 'Theatre' button on the remote then playing with the colors (putting color temp back to neutral, motion enhancer back to standard, black corrector to low) gives a much nicer picture, without the horizontal jaggies and color artifacts im struggling with at the moment.

Thing is, 'Theatre Mode' is tunred off if the TV is turned off, so it needs to be pushed everytime the tele is turned on, this sorta things annoys me.

Then set your picture mode for that input to "Cinema", which is all the Theatre Mode button does :)

make sure you turn motion flow to off when viewing HD programs. It makes the faces sharper than is having the setting on standard.

That is absolutely NOT my experience. Standard is a good, very transparent setting to use. "High", on the other hand, is for people with ADD only ;)

I've heard (read) somewhere that the Bravias don't/can't accept native 1080p inputs, only1080i

is this true? (hopefully not)

I've heard (read) somewhere that the Bravias don't/can't accept native 1080p inputs, only1080i

is this true? (hopefully not)

Absolutely 100% NOT true.

I get annoying white dashes above some channels (0090 Sydney, Channel 9 HD) sometimes when I watch FTA HDTV on my 52XBR.

The dashes aren't uniform and come and go, depending on the show and station, and appear just above the picture on the top left edge, running about 25% in. As they disappear when I switch channels to SD, I think they must be station related.

Anyone have any ideas? I know this is slightly off-topic, but I figured this is where I'd find all the Bravia experts. :blush:

I get annoying white dashes above some channels

Are you referring to the thin line on top of the screen which looks like "noise"?

If you are, then it is the "hidden" information in the overscan area.

It contains things like test signals, CC, etc.

You can get rid of it by selecting "normal" (overscan) rather than "full pixel" in your TV.

However, you will loose the 1:1 pixel image and thus possibly reducing the picture quality on a 1080 signal.

Haha man these configurations are sure confusing for a half wit like myself lol :P

Bravia 40" XBR here.

Searching for best performance with Xbox via HDMI. PS3 on way thanks to Sony offer ;)

Ill try some of these settings out and see if I notice anything..

stay tuned :)

Thanks in advance

S.

Are you referring to the thin line on top of the screen which looks like "noise"?

If you are, then it is the "hidden" information in the overscan area.

It contains things like test signals, CC, etc.

You can get rid of it by selecting "normal" (overscan) rather than "full pixel" in your TV.

However, you will loose the 1:1 pixel image and thus possibly reducing the picture quality on a 1080 signal.

I don't think so. It was there before I set my TV to "full pixel". They are thin white dashes, 2 or 3cm ling. I'll try to get a pic over the weekend.

I don't think so. It was there before I set my TV to "full pixel". They are thin white dashes, 2 or 3cm ling. I'll try to get a pic over the weekend.

if it's only on analog TV signals, yes, it's teletext and caption info, etc. hidden by the overscan region on/for regular CRT TV's, but it's always still there.

on digital, its unnecessary, the DVB signal itself carries that data, so its likely crappy rebroadcasting. use the third tab (ratio - which has items like target inputs/wide area/auto-wide/display area, etc.) to set display area to -1 or -2 to offset this... or use the 1:1 pixel/normal setting.

and the 1080p thing, you can probably receive 1080p on component inputs, but wether or not the TV can accept 1080p or wether the output device can output 1080p over component, is debateable. you'd need both to support 1080p.

since i don't have a device which can. i might play with the xbox360, but the HDMI is a lot easier to plug in...

just use VGA or DVI->HDMI for 1080p viewing.

Edited by toliman

hey guys,

i have a 40X3100. it's a glorious TV, very happy. i use it for xbox 360 (HDMI), FTA TV and DVDs. i have superb picture for xbox 360 and for DVDs, no complaints whatsoever. i've tweaked my settings to the point that it all looks very nice and natural.

however, i am finding that with free-to-air TV, i occasionally get blur in the picture - most commonly when there is a dark background and someone is moving in front of it. now i would be ready to discount this as simple LCD blur, but i don't get any of this effect in xbox 360 or DVD pictures at all. any ideas on what this could be from? i have motion enhancer at standard for all inputs.

i don't know if it's relevant, but playing around with the settings, i'm confident on everything except cinema drive - what does this do?

thanks for any advice.

I have my Cinema Drive set to Auto 2. When I have it on Auto 1, it tends to make the image look too un-natural and 3D like on some movies.

These are mine based on Petmic10 settings from AVSforums and modified to deal with light sensor (I guessed)

Anyway I wouldnt mind some feedback on them I am sure they could be better.

KDL46X2000

Input: TV / PS3 HDMI / DVD Svideo

Picture Mode: Custom / Custom / Custom

Backlight: 5 / 5 / 3

Picture: 95 / 80 / Max

Brightness: 55 / 51 / 65

Color: 50 / 45 / 45

HUE: NA / /

Color Temp.: Warm 2 / Warm 1 / Warm 1

Sharpness: 30 / 35 / 65

Noise Red.: OFF / OFF / OFF

DRC Mode: / /

DRC Palette: / /

Advanced Settings: / /

Black Corrector: OFF / OFF / OFF

Advanced C.E.: OFF / OFF / OFF

Gamma: Low / Low / Low

Clear White: Low / Off / Off

Live Color: Low / Off / Off

Color Space: Wide / Wide / Wide

White Balance(GrayScale): / /

R-Gain: -2 / -2 / -2

G-Gain: -3 / -3 / -3

B-Gain: -15 / -15 / -15

R-Bias: -4 / -4 / -4

G-Bias: -2 / -2 / -2

B-Bias: -1 / -1 / -1

Detail Enhancer: Off / Off / Max

Edge Enhancer: Off / Off / Low

Power Saving: Off / Off / Off

Light Sensor: On / On / On

Edited by pc9630

I've been studying the forums... and I've been playing with the settings for the last 3 months..

Here is my UPDATED settings: (mainly derived from the consensus of user settings from AVS)

Advanced Settings

Screen menu

Video Options menu

General Menu

hey guys, im new to the site and am a proud owner of a new 40" X, but my question is, for all of the calabrations that people are putting on here, e.g. the one quoted above, are they for general use or gaming consoles or wat?

Edited by Mark1308

Normally, each config is labelled as to which input it is for.

I run 3 different ones for HDTV PS# via hdmi1 and dvd via dvd1

there is a huge thread on the avsforums (USA) most are based on petmic10s settings with some personalisation.

hey guys, im new to the site and am a proud owner of a new 40" X, but my question is, for all of the calabrations that people are putting on here, e.g. the one quoted above, are they for general use or gaming consoles or wat?

I use the same settings for everything.

Advanced Settings

Screen menu

Video Options menu

General Menu

Hey mate, I just wanted to thank you for this post...

I've been watching my new 46" X with it's Standard Settings in both Normal & Vivid which were already awesome, however I've tweaked the Custom settings to this one you posted and watched the Tennis Final tonight. This custom setting is SUPERB!!! I just didn't think this TV could get any better and you've proved me otherwise, I'm amazed.

I did however set Power Save to Low which didn't impact the overall picture too much and causes complete white or colourful backgrounds to be less eye intensive.

Cheers again and for anyone looking to tweak, go no further than iCEWATER's post right here!!!

Hey mate, I just wanted to thank you for this post...

I've been watching my new 46" X with it's Standard Settings in both Normal & Vivid which were already awesome, however I've tweaked the Custom settings to this one you posted and watched the Tennis Final tonight. This custom setting is SUPERB!!! I just didn't think this TV could get any better and you've proved me otherwise, I'm amazed.

I did however set Power Save to Low which didn't impact the overall picture too much and causes complete white or colourful backgrounds to be less eye intensive.

Cheers again and for anyone looking to tweak, go no further than iCEWATER's post right here!!!

I also tried Icewater's settings. Initially I found them to be very clear and an improvement over the out of the box settings. However, I found the whites flaring a little so I switched back to the custom settings given by Pauly G at the start of the thread (which are also very good). I will try setting the power save to low - see if that makes a difference.

Thanks also to everyone who has contributed to this thread - it has been very useful!

Has anyone got / used the dve dvd to calibrate their set? Thinking about picking up a copy but am thinking that doing so would just get me the same settings as ne1 else using the same dvd on the same set.

Also, I notice people are using calibrations for their PS3's for gaming as well as blu-ray. I have noticed that turning on game mode removes most calibration options, and that I have had to turn game mode on for my wii via component as otherwise the lag is unbearable. Does the PS3 also suffer from lag without game mode on? Or can I setup the PS3 for blu-ray playback and it'll also work fine for games? Trying to research this before my PS3 shows up from Sony.

Cheers.

i've been using Pauly-G's settings as well. Finding them to be superb so i use them for every input - FTA digital, fox through component, PS3 through hdmi. they all look great!

I know DVE is putting out a calibration HD-DVD/DVD hybrid, just want to know if there will be something similar for us Blu-Ray owners in the near future. Also did they take the DVE Calibration DVD out of the market? can't seem to find it anywhere in the shops.