Sign in to follow this  
T800

Official Aus 'sony Bravia X Series' Calibration Thread

Yea gotta say they are fun to set up NOT i stll cant seem to get everything perfect i seem to have lost some settings with my 360 connected via composite for some reason doesnt give me motion enhancer or picture mode also can anyone tell me how to set up favorites list

Edited by TheDarkrevenger

Set my 52" X series to calibrations by edwyun, seems ok, maybe a tad dull for my liking.

Does anyone recommend another calibration?

Hey what are people's opinion on the "Cinema Drive" options?

a. Auto 1 & Motion Enhancer High: Seems unwatchable with weird cartoon like separation of characters from the background, unnatural movement, and random negative artifacts in some portions of quickly changing scenes. On the plus side, the actors seem sharper like the camera held focus on them better or something.

b. Auto 1 & Motion Enhancer Standard: Seems almost watchable with the above issues almost gone, but annoyingly occasionally still there every now and then.

c. Auto 2 & Motion Enhancer High: Seems very watchable (my current setting), with natural movement, and no negative artifacts. People move the away you'd expect them too. However, this mode lacks the some of the sharpness/focus of Auto 1.

d. Auto 2 & Motion Enhancer Standard: Seems exactly the same as c above to me.

So far I've stuck to option c above on my 52X for pretty much everything, but I'd be interested in what other people have decided on. Shows where the director has decided to use the "pan the camera wildly about as each different character moves & speaks" method (presumably to imply haste and get us excited or something), for example "The Unit" (SD, late night telly), shows up the weakness in focus using option c. In these cases I've moved to option b just for that show.

Edited by Chockstone

Hey what are people's opinion on the "Cinema Drive" options?

a. Auto 1 & Motion Enhancer High: Seems unwatchable with weird cartoon like separation of characters from the background, unnatural movement, and random negative artifacts in some portions of quickly changing scenes. On the plus side, the actors seem sharper like the camera held focus on them better or something.

b. Auto 1 & Motion Enhancer Standard: Seems almost watchable with the above issues almost gone, but annoyingly occasionally still there every now and then.

c. Auto 2 & Motion Enhancer High: Seems very watchable (my current setting), with natural movement, and no negative artifacts. People move the away you'd expect them too. However, this mode lacks the some of the sharpness/focus of Auto 1.

d. Auto 2 & Motion Enhancer Standard: Seems exactly the same as c above to me.

So far I've stuck to option c above on my 52X for pretty much everything, but I'd be interested in what other people have decided on. Shows where the director has decided to use the "pan the camera wildly about as each different character moves & speaks" method (presumably to imply haste and get us excited or something), for example "The Unit" (SD, late night telly), shows up the weakness in focus using option c. In these cases I've moved to option b just for that show.

Chockstone - I agree with your comments above for each setting, but there is still 2 more settings you should try. Motion Enhancer High and Standard with Cinemotion off. When it is set to Auto 2, and it detects film (including TV shows like Heroes) shot originally in 24 fps, it disables Motion Enhancer. So I often find the best results with ME High / CM Off. But on fast panning shows I too go to Auto 1/ Standard.

Chockstone - I agree with your comments above for each setting, but there is still 2 more settings you should try. Motion Enhancer High and Standard with Cinemotion off. When it is set to Auto 2, and it detects film (including TV shows like Heroes) shot originally in 24 fps, it disables Motion Enhancer.

Just a point here: shows shot on film, like "Heroes", are screened here at 25fps, sped up to meet that frame rate. The Bravia can not and does not detect it as anything else.

The settings that work best for me with Blu-Ray movies are as posted above by "hdsupporter" - Motion Enhancer on Standard, Cinema Drive on Auto 1. Movement is natural and flowing, no judder at all even on long smooth pans or zooms.

By the way, what's with this "Cinemotion" naming some are using? The Australian Bravias all call it "Cinema Drive" do they not?

Just a point here: shows shot on film, like "Heroes", are screened here at 25fps, sped up to meet that frame rate. The Bravia can not and does not detect it as anything else.

The settings that work best for me with Blu-Ray movies are as posted above by "hdsupporter" - Motion Enhancer on Standard, Cinema Drive on Auto 1. Movement is natural and flowing, no judder at all even on long smooth pans or zooms.

By the way, what's with this "Cinemotion" naming some are using? The Australian Bravias all call it "Cinema Drive" do they not?

Some shows in the US are shot in 24 fps then converted to 30 fps NTSC, then to 25 fps PAL before being sent out here. Those are the ones that tend to show up panning judder the worst. I do agree that those transferred straight to PAL the Sony will not detect, but I have noticed that Heroes looks worse in Auto2 than Cinema Drive off and Motion on, so I think its detecting 24 fps from telecine NTSC transfer and deactivating Motion Flow.

Sorry about calling it Cinemotion, i spent weeks reading the US forums to get it calibrated when I first got it.

You're right about Auto1/Standard as the best setting. Heroes still looks ghosty though due to the lousy Channel 7 compression - not the TV's fault. Its actually looks better if you download it!

Anyone have any ideas if the light sensor works, and if it isn't compatible with other settings (eg, say power saving).

I was playing about with it last night and shining a torch into the sensor, and couldn't get it to change the backlight. I tried it with powersaving on and off.

That power saving is definitely best was to watch at night IMHO, but when it is daylight, needs a bit more backlight. I put on the light sensor thinking that should adjust, but I couldn't see any change. Maybe the LED torch I was shining at the sensor wasn't good enough, or there is a secondary sensor on the TV somewhere else...

Hey all, Im just new to the forums, but from what i can see there seems to be quite a wealth of knowledge here..

Well anyway, i have had my 40x3100 for about 5 days now, and i have been reading the various posts on how to set this TV up correctly, but im still not overly happy with the FTA HDTV picture...

On the other hand i am very happy with the picture from my PS3, BD movies simply look amazing.

Anyhow, IMO the FTA picture is very grainy, lacks small detail and is simply not as crisp as the picture from my old 32inch Hitachi 720p LCD. which as you can imagine in very dissapointing.

My Current settings are as follows:

CUSTOM

Backlight: 5

Picture: 77

Brightness: 49

Color: 50

Hue: 0

Temp: Neutral

Sharpness: 40

Noise Red: Low

MPEG Noise Red: Low

DRC Mode: Mode2

DRC Palette: Reality: 65, Clarity: 65

Black Corrector: Low

Advanced CE: Off

Gamma: Off

Clear White: Low

Color Space: Wide

Live Color: Low

WHITE BALANCE:

Red Gain: -1

Green Gain: -1

Blue Gain: 0

Red Bias: -1

Green Bias: -2

Blue Bias: 0

Detail Enhancer: Low

Edge Enhancer: Low

Power Savings: Off

Motion Enhancer: Standard

Cinema Drive: Off

Anyone care to comment? I would love to know how to improve the picture.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Edited by Memph

My experience 52" XBR with PS3 blu-ray movies:

Setting Backlight to more than 0 makes blacks non-black, greyish, washed up. noticeable difference.

Setting backlight to 5 and trying to compensating with brightness or other (color) settings don't help.

Also, Is there a way to display FTA HDTV at 720P instead of 1080i?

i'm also looking for decent settings for HD FTA TV - i also get a grainy / washed out picture. So far the "vivid" colour setting is the only one that gives me a clear picture for TV broadcasts. Any idea what setting I should be tweaking?

Yer I am too using Vivid atm to watch TV. I would like to get a good setting on there for my PS3 games & Blu-Rays along with my 360 and HD DVD movies

Are you able to have different settings per input selection?

So fta one way and PS3 another?

Think you can elisiX

Also guys, is it best to have Light Saver on or off?

Are you able to have different settings per input selection?

So fta one way and PS3 another?

Yes

Slightly off topic, but what's the difference between the X and the XBR? Had a look at Sony site and couldn't see any apart from price and X has changeable bezels

cheers

blairy

Slightly off topic, but what's the difference between the X and the XBR? Had a look at Sony site and couldn't see any apart from price and X has changeable bezels

cheers

blairy

That's it in a nutshell.

is anyone else experiencing off-colour whites with their TV when viewing FTA? mine seems to have a yellow-ish tint that I can't get rid of....

is anyone else experiencing off-colour whites with their TV when viewing FTA? mine seems to have a yellow-ish tint that I can't get rid of....

Having 'Clear White' set even just to low makes whites much nicer for me...

Going back to FTA PQ,

Ive found pushing the 'Theatre' button on the remote then playing with the colors (putting color temp back to neutral, motion enhancer back to standard, black corrector to low) gives a much nicer picture, without the horizontal jaggies and color artifacts im struggling with at the moment.

Thing is, 'Theatre Mode' is tunred off if the TV is turned off, so it needs to be pushed everytime the tele is turned on, this sorta things annoys me.

Does anyone know what settings are changed when 'Theatre' is pushed?

Having 'Clear White' set even just to low makes whites much nicer for me...

Going back to FTA PQ,

Ive found pushing the 'Theatre' button on the remote then playing with the colors (putting color temp back to neutral, motion enhancer back to standard, black corrector to low) gives a much nicer picture, without the horizontal jaggies and color artifacts im struggling with at the moment.

Thing is, 'Theatre Mode' is tunred off if the TV is turned off, so it needs to be pushed everytime the tele is turned on, this sorta things annoys me.

Does anyone know what settings are changed when 'Theatre' is pushed?

Can someone tell me how do I change my HUE Setting. Every time I go to it,m its seems to be faded out and says "Not on this signal" I read manual and it says only with NTSC USA Video tapes ????

I noticed in all the calibrations that you guys have changed it, how do I do this please

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

Sorry for double post but couldnt seem to edit above

The Hue Setting is grayed out with Austar which is connected by S-Video, PS3 - HDMI & XBOX 360 Elite - HDMI. Cant seem to get HUE setting on so I can change it.

Anyone help me out here