Official Aus 'sony Bravia X Series' Calibration Thread

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree that these setting's are a dramatic improvement over the four standard presets, im still experiencing a noticable 'yellow push' with the 'Warm 2' setting used especially with 'White Balance' all set to zero. I didn't realise this until i tried THESE 'Holy Grail' settings from avs forum >>> http://tjexbr.wiki.zoho.com/Marc-D-Carra.html (u can further enhance those settings by turning black correcter 'Off' & turning the 'Brightness down to 54ish, discoverd amogst the praise on avs)

Those ^ settings use "Power Saver" set to low with the backlight raised for great black levels & to eliminate the odd smearing that one encounters.

I FULLY recommend everyone try these settings & see for yourself's how much improvement & how much clearer everything looks with Marc's adjusted 'White balance' calibration. You'll never go back or have to fiddle in the dreaded menu again. One word AMAZING. Simply type them in to the 'Custom' or 'Cinema' preset & filck between these ones & the ones your using at the moment for your own comparison.

I tried these calibrations by Marc D Carra and to be honest, I did not like them, thats just my opinion tho.

Let us know what you think Whitey66

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

^ It is also recommended to reduce Blurring/Pixelation/Ghosting/Smearing that "Noise Reduction" & "DRC" be turned Off. The only time you may notice an improvement with Noise Reuction on Low is when watching Film based material such as CSI Miami , NCIS etc to help reduce the "Mosqetoe" effect.

The Holy Grail settings two posts above found HERE are definite winners.

I noticed watching Two and a Half Men, there's considerable noise.

Baaahhh,Holy Grail settings my arse!!

If those settings are the "Holy Grail",then Dr Z's are "The Second Coming Of God".

After using those settings by Marc D Carra,for the last 2 days I don't rate them at all.

While they are not bad on HD signals,on SD signals they are very average.

My wife and kids even said "what's up with the TV?"

I have to agree. ,The Holy Grail settings looked too washed out for mine... I suggest Dr Z's as well. They look great.. on another topic I bought copy of the Blu Ray DVE disk today... I'll have a go at that and see if i can improve them even more over the coming week or so

Edited by doders

I have to agree. ,The Holy Grail settings looked too washed out for mine... I suggest Dr Z's as well. They look great.. on another topic I bought copy of the Blu Ray DVE disk today... I'll have a go at that and see if i can improve them even more over the coming week or so

With backlight set to 2 on Dr Z’s setting ………seems too dark to me ……..

caff111 try having it on either 4 or 5. Also I had it set as Noise Reduction Low but after finding some blur even with shows like "Two And A Half Men" I turned it to OFF and found it was better but you could see the noise in the background. Depends I guess what you dont mind seeing.

doders, sounds good, let me know when you can.

I am glade most of you like my settings, took me ages to get but it feels like I have finally got it right :)

With backlight set to 2 on Dr Z’s setting ………seems too dark to me ……..

This depends on how much light you have in your room.I find 2 is good for at night with the lights off,or in a light controlled room.

I find that up to 6 is good in a very bright room,just adjust it to suit your room and conditions because eveybodies is different.

Baaahhh,Holy Grail settings my arse!!

If those settings are the "Holy Grail",then Dr Z's are "The Second Coming Of God".

After using those settings by Marc D Carra,for the last 2 days I don't rate them at all.

While they are not bad on HD signals,on SD signals they are very average.

My wife and kids even said "what's up with the TV?"

Yes the settings seem to make everything appear a little washed out at first, but after turning the 'black corrector' off & the brightness down to 54ish & the colour up to 45, it has rectified that issue for me & everything looks so crystal clear with no 'yellow haze' & the greens are so green just how i like it.

Just goes to show how each TV may vary a little from set to set. It also depends if you want a proper calibration meeting the DVE & HQV Benchmark setup DVD's or just something typed in that looks good to you. (I would want both).

Of course one lot of setting's isn't going to please everyone & different lighting conditions have to be taken into account but i simply wanted you to compare them with other setting's using a different preset to see how much of a yellow push the Sony produces with the 'white balance' setting's left on 0 & how much of differnce there is with Marc D Carra's offset adjusted 'white balance' settings.

Edited by MrMan

Yes the settings seem to make everything appear a little washed out at first, but after turning the 'black corrector' off & the brightness down to 54ish & the colour up to 45, it has rectified that issue for me & everything looks so crystal clear with no 'yellow haze' & the greens are so green just how i like it.

Just goes to show how each TV may vary a little from set to set. It also depends if you want a proper calibration meeting the DVE & HQV Benchmark setup DVD's or just something typed in that looks good to you. (I would want both).

Of course one lot of setting's isn't going to please everyone & different lighting conditions have to be taken into account but i simply wanted you to compare them with other setting's using a different preset to see how much of a yellow push the Sony produces with the 'white balance' setting's left on 0 & how much of differnce there is with Marc D Carra's offset adjusted 'white balance' settings.

what does Marc D Carra's adjusted white balance setting suppose to do on colours?

what does Marc D Carra's adjusted white balance setting suppose to do on colours?

As above, they compensate for the "yellow haze" that the Sony produces with the out of box setting's (white balnce 0). Also makes the colour representation very accurate aswell with deep rich colours. Marc's settings use the 'Live Colour' set to medium & 'Colour Space' set to 'Wide' which produces the seemingly infinite diversity of colors of the real world, particularly deep reds, greens and clear blues that have not been fully represented with conventional out of box settings. . Sonys Live Color Creation for clear blues, natural greens and an overall vibrant color is term for their technology combining WCG-CCFL backlighting and advanced chroma signal processing algorithms.

Edited by MrMan

As above, they compensate for the "yellow haze" that the Sony produces with the out of box setting's (white balnce 0). Also makes the colour representation very accurate aswell with deep rich colours. Marc's settings use the 'Live Colour" set to medium which produces the seemingly infinite diversity of colors of the real world, particularly deep reds, greens and clear blues that have not been fully represented with conventional out of box settings. . Sonys Live Color Creation for clear blues, natural greens and an overall vibrant color is term for their technology combining WCG-CCFL backlighting and advanced chroma signal processing algorithms.

Does live colour works on SD TV like foxtel as well ?

Then what does color space - Wide do on his setting?? Thanks !

It is used in conjunction with 'Live Colour' to further produce a wider gamut of greens, reds & blue's.

Refer to THIS thread or google it for a more in depth answer.

Edited by MrMan

Guest jyavenard
DRC Mode - MODE 1

DRC Palette - REALITY 40 / CLARITY 60

What mode are you using?

This is disabled on mine and show "not available with current signal", this is connected to my computer in HDMI (1920x1080)

Jean-Yves

I've used Marc D Carra's setting with little changes:

POWER SAVER SET TO LOW ***IMPORTANT***

CUSTOM

Backlight - 8

picture - 90

brightness - 52

Colour - 44

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 50

NR - Low

MPEG NR - Off

DRC Mode - MODE 1

Back Corrector - Off

A.C.E. - Low

Gamma - Off

clear white - Low

color space - Wide

live color - Medium

Detail Enhancer - Low

Edge Enhancer - Low

Red Gain -14

Green Gain -6

Blue Gain -7

Red Bias -3

Green Bias -3

Blue Bias 3

Tell me what u guys think !!!

Edited by caff111

CUSTOM

Backlight - 8

picture - 90

brightness - 52

Colour - 43

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 50

NR - Low

MPEG NR - Off

DRC Mode - MODE 1

Back Corrector - Off

A.C.E. - Low

Gamma - Off

clear white - Low

color space - Wide

live color - Medium

Detail Enhancer - Low

Edge Enhancer - Low

Red Gain -14

Green Gain -6

Blue Gain -7

Red Bias -3

Green Bias -3

Blue Bias 3

Any opinions on my setting?

Isn't that backlight setting a bit high? I would have thought around 4 would have been good.

but power saving has been set to low ........I reckon backlight 8 is good ........but it also depends on your lighting condition in your room.........u can adjust it to lower if u prefer........

CUSTOM

Backlight - 8

picture - 90

brightness - 52

Colour - 43

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 50

NR - Low

MPEG NR - Off

DRC Mode - MODE 1

Back Corrector - Off

A.C.E. - Low

Gamma - Off

clear white - Low

color space - Wide

live color - Medium

Detail Enhancer - Low

Edge Enhancer - Low

Red Gain -14

Green Gain -6

Blue Gain -7

Red Bias -3

Green Bias -3

Blue Bias 3

Any suggestion on how to improve my setting above? Thanks !!!

^You seem very proud of them caff111 & i dont blame you as they highly regarded elsewhere. They are the same as mine except i have brightness on 55 & I dont use noise reduction or DRC Mode as they DEFINITLEY contribute to ghosting/halo effects/pixelation & no 'clear white' either & 'Edge Enhancer ' off. However i sometimes do use ACE & or Gamma on Low when watching DivX streamed to the PS3. :wacko:

Edited by MrMan