Official Aus 'sony Bravia X Series' Calibration Thread

Hi All

I have had my 46X3100 for around a week now. I have a ps3 connected via HDMI. Now I have noticed when playing blu-ray movies, whenever there is movement, mainly when somebody is turning their head then there is a slight blur / ghosting. I have no idea what is causing this, could it be because I haven't calibrated the screen or should I be worried that I have a dud tv? It was really really bad when I was watching Saw 4 on blu-ray, in fact all the Saw blu-ray movies were the same but not as bad as 4 :( I have been using the factory vivid settings. I haven't noticed any issues playing any ps3 games and I haven't tried any dvd's yet. I have noticed though HD tv isn't as clear as it was using a HD Set top box with my Sony 40V300A.

I don't think it is a problem with my ps3 as there were no problems when it was connected to my 40V300A. I was going to try using some of the custom settings in this thread if it would make a difference.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Check the noise reduction option in your picture settings. If it is turned on, try turning it off completely, this function is really designed for analogue tv and can reproduce what you are seeing here. Let us know what your bluray playback is like with this off.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

I have had my 46X3100 for around a week now. I have a ps3 connected via HDMI. Now I have noticed when playing blu-ray movies, whenever there is movement, mainly when somebody is turning their head then there is a slight blur / ghosting. I have no idea what is causing this, could it be because I haven't calibrated the screen or should I be worried that I have a dud tv? It was really really bad when I was watching Saw 4 on blu-ray, in fact all the Saw blu-ray movies were the same but not as bad as 4 :( I have been using the factory vivid settings. I haven't noticed any issues playing any ps3 games and I haven't tried any dvd's yet. I have noticed though HD tv isn't as clear as it was using a HD Set top box with my Sony 40V300A.

I don't think it is a problem with my ps3 as there were no problems when it was connected to my 40V300A. I was going to try using some of the custom settings in this thread if it would make a difference.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Check the noise reduction option in your picture settings. If it is turned on, try turning it off completely, this function is really designed for analogue tv and can reproduce what you are seeing here. Let us know what your bluray playback is like with this off.

Thanks for your post. Well I did some playing around with the TV settings as well as the PS3 settings and all seems ok now. I turned all the enhancement features off on the tv as I figured you don't really need any of that with Blu-ray and HD-DVD. On the ps3 I had the 1080p 24hz function set at auto, I tried turning this off and I noticed an immediate difference, there was no more ghosting. I turned it to "ON" instead of "auto" and it seems fine. The auto setting must have been causing some issue. I didn't have the ghosting problem with my XE1.

I haven't played the Saw movies again but I have played others and they are perfect so I hope my problems are solved :)

• 2 weeks later...
What’s u guys’ setting for watching foxtel digital ? I reckon the setting gotta be different from HD free to air channels ………..thanks for your input, guys !

My settings vary greatly to those posted here, but 95% of my viewing is Foxtel.

These are my settings, and I'm really quite happy with these.

Backlight 8

Picture 80

Brightness 50

Colour 25

Colour Temp N

Sharpness 60

NR Off

MPEG NR Low

DRC Mode Mode1

DRC Pallette 30/50

Black Correct Off

Advanced CE Low

Gamma Low

Clear White Off

Colour Space St

Live Colour Low

Detail Enhance Med

Edge Enhance Med

• 3 weeks later...

Try this guys, its unique but I think it looks awesome across the board. Got it off a AVS forum member - Marc D Carra

Here you go:

POWER SAVER SET TO LOW ***IMPORTANT***

GAME MODE -On (settings can be used with game mode off, if you wish have Motion Enhancer available. I don't use it, and dislike the autodimming, hence the use of Game mode)

CUSTOM

Backlight - 9

picture - 90

brightness - 60

Colour - 35

Hue - R2

Color Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 50

Back Corrector - Low

A.C.E. - Off

Gamma - Off

clear white - Off

color space - wide

live color - Medium

Detail Enhancer - Low

Edge Enhancer - off

Red Gain -14

Green Gain -6

Blue Gain -7

Red Bias -3

Green Bias -3

Blue Bias 5

Video/Photo Optimizer - Video-A

Video Colorspace - X.V Color

Photo Colorspace -SRGB

RGB Matrix -ITU709

RGB Dynamic Range -Auto

MDC

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my updated KDL-46XBR settings (see post #95 for the prev settings). In particular, skin tones, sky blues and grass/tree greens all look just a bit more 'natural' this time around, largely as a result of changing the colour temp from Neutral to Warm 2. The same settings are used for free-to-air TV, DVD and PS3 BD, except where noted:

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Standard

Backlight: 0-7 (low at night, higher during the day)

Picture: 95

Brightness: 45-50

Colour: 57

Colour Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

NR: Off

MPEG NR: Off

DRC Mode: Mode 1

DRC Palette: Reality 40/Clarity 60

Black Corrector: Off

Adv Contrast Enhancer: Low (PS3: Off)

Gamma: Off

Clear White: Low (PS3: Off)

Colour Space: Standard

Live Colour: Off

White Bal: All zeroed

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

VIDEO SETTINGS

Motion Enhancer: Standard (PS3: Standard, but sometimes High works well, eg: Planet Earth BD)

Cinema Drive: TV: Off; PS3/DVD: Auto 2 or 1, depending on source

SET-UP

Power Saving: Off (sometimes Low for lowering black levels in a dimly lit room)

Light Sensor: Off (sometimes Low for lowering black levels in a dimly lit room)

Logo Illumination: Off

Hi everybody,

I picked up a KDL46X3100 yesterday and I'm trying to find some settings for my Xbox360 via HDMI, settings like the default Vivid but a little toned down from that. All the settings I've found so far seem to be for natural looking tones etc.

So if anybody has seen some settings that sound like what I'm after please let me know.

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Standard

I recommend using either 'Custom' or 'Cinema' presets to input your settings as 'Vivid' & 'Standard' mode do not properly deinterlace material resulting in more noise.

Hey Guys

I just got the DVE Blu-Ray in the pass around for members. I have a Sony Bravia 46" X series with PS3. I have just been watching the disc and right now I am in WTF is going on mode.

I really have no idea how to use it and I am feeling stupid as its says its HD Basic so really its for everyone to use (Apart me)

I made a post before I got it, so if anyone now can help me out on what to do etc be great

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=68417

if you can also PM your calibrated settings via PM to me so I can test them and see what I come up with etc be great!

Thanks

Zoidy

Why do you say that?

Curious...

I think MrMan's referring to this article:

http://hdguru.com/?p=131

Deinterlacing test excerpt:

I quickly discovered that this Sony does not properly deinterlace 1080i in the factory default “Vivid” picture setting. In fact, it also drops 50% resolution in the “Standard” picture mode as well. However, the set does properly deinterlace the 1080i signal and does deliver all frames, and thus does display the full vertical resolution, in either “Custom” or “Cinema” picture mode!

Motion resolution test excerpt:

As with the de-interlacing test, static and moving resolution results were picture mode dependent. “Custom” and “Cinema” modes produced 1080 “lines” of static resolution and 600 lines of motion resolution. “Standard” mode produced1080/580 static/motion and “Vivid,” the factory default produced a disappointing, but not surprising 880/450 static/motion. This is yet another reason to get this set out of the “Vivid” mode.

Really interesting stuff. I'll definitely be moving my settings from Standard to Custom.

I think MrMan's referring to this article:

http://hdguru.com/?p=131

Deinterlacing test excerpt:

Motion resolution test excerpt:

Really interesting stuff. I'll definitely be moving my settings from Standard to Custom.

Yeah, I've read that before and agreed, it's good reading.

I don't watch any 1080 material though, so I don't think (I assume) it would have any impact on other resolutions.

Here are my Calibrations based on Hui's

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 2 or 4

Picture: 85

Brightness: 45

Colour: 50

Colour Temp: Cool

Sharpness: 30

Black Corrector: Low

Adv Contrast Enhancer: Low

Clear White: Off

VIDEO SETTINGS

Motion Enhancer: Standard

Cinema Drive: Off for FTA & Auto 2 for PS3 Blu-Ray & XBOX 360 HD DVD

SET-UP

Power Saving: Off

Light Sensor: Off

Logo Illumination: On (I like the look hehe)

Tell me what you guys think and if there is anything I should change to get a better PQ let me know please.

Thanks

ZOIDY

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Ive taken the jump from a 10 year old CRT to a 40' X series. Its like chalk and cheese however will admit I have zero idea on a few things. (Well most of it really however its all about playing around). Main use is free to air HD tv, DVD's and later on a little gaming. Oh and there is a VCR connected however only for the kids tapes that will hopefully die soon. :D

I have read through the thread and have a few questions still. Everything is currently set to standard

1. I have a pioneer DV-300 DVD player it doesnt have hdmi however has the standard rca outputs, svideo and composite (rgb) connections. Which is the better connection to use?

2. I seem not to have sharpness on the edges of things (mainly faces) when they move sometimes. Is there a post of settings that is the preferred general setup?

3. I can get the 10 year old VCR working through the Sony remote however is there a complete list of codes to get my pioneer DVD working through the remote also? I have tried all the pioneer codes with no luck.

Any help in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Brett

Was playing around with the TV and came up with these calibrations, let me know what you think and if anything needs to be modified.

My Calibrations for my 46" X Series Bravia that I use for FTA, Blu-Ray & HD-DVD Movies are the following -

Picture Mode - Custom

Backlight - 2

Picture - 72

Brightness - 49

Colour - 49

HUE: (Grayed Out)

Colour Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 35

Noise Red - Low

Mpeg Noise - Low

DRC Mode - Mode 1

DRC Palette - Reality 40 / Clarity 60

Advance Settings

Black Corrector - off

Advance C.E - Medium

Gamma - off

Clear White - off

Live Colour - off

Colour Space - Standard

Detail Enhancer - off

Edge Enhancer - off

White Balance - All Zero

Power Saving - Off

Light Sensor - Off

Motion Enhancer - Standard

CineMotion - Auto 2

Hope to hear some feedback on this, thanks

Was playing around with the TV and came up with these calibrations, let me know what you think and if anything needs to be modified.

My Calibrations for my 46" X Series Bravia that I use for FTA, Blu-Ray & HD-DVD Movies are the following -

SNIP....

I tried these settings today and so far, they're the best i've used.

I just watched Batman Begins on HD DVD and the blacks were great.

Thanks!

Edited by whitey66

...SNIP...

Dr. Z,

Tried your settings, but found the picture was a little bit "hyper" for me - which is probably no surprise given my previously posted settings. :P

Anyway, here's some feedback/suggestions:

• Shadow detail is being lost, while the mids are a little too pushed forward. The Adv Contrast Enhancer setting seems to be the main culprit here, so my suggestion is to try Low instead of Med. If you need a bit more of a lift in the mids/highs after doing that, raise the Picture (Contrast) setting a bit.

• The Neutral colour temp, while punchy, shifts the colours a bit too far away from a natural daylight colour temp for me. Whites are a little too whiter-than-white, skin tones are a little too pink, greens are a little too electric, skies are a little too cyan, yada yada. My suggestion would be to try a slightly warmer temp (ie Warm 1) and see how you go.

FWIW, here's my current TV/PS3/DVD settings. Pretty similar to the last batch, but there are some tweaks here and there:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 1-3 at night, 5-7 during the day

Picture: 90

Brightness: 45

Colour: 46

Colour Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Black Corrector: Off

Adv Contrast Enhancer: Low

Clear White: Off

VIDEO SETTINGS

Motion Enhancer: Standard (High works well with some sources, eg: Planet Earth BD)

Cinema Drive: TV: Auto 2; PS3/DVD: Auto 2 usually, but sometimes Auto 1 (depends on the source)

SET-UP

Power Saving: Off (sometimes Low for lowering black levels in a dimly lit room)

Light Sensor: Off (sometimes Low for lowering black levels in a dimly lit room)

Logo Illumination: Off

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by hui

Thanks for the input Hui, this way I will finally get a good combination on my calibrations with everyones input.

I tried your settings but found it too yellowish for my liking, warm 2 is the problem here for me.

Here is what I have come up with -

Picture Mode - Custom

Backlight - 2

Picture - 90

Brightness - 49

Colour - 49

HUE: (Grayed Out)

Colour Temp - Neutral

Sharpness - 50

Noise Red - off

Mpeg Noise - off

DRC Mode - Mode 1

DRC Palette - Reality 40 / Clarity 60

Advance Settings

Black Corrector - off

Advance C.E - Low

Gamma - off

Clear White - off

Live Colour - off

Colour Space - Standard

Detail Enhancer - off

Edge Enhancer - off

White Balance - All Zero

Power Saving - Off

Light Sensor - Off

Motion Enhancer - Standard

CineMotion - Auto 2

Let me know what you guys think

(Does this improve it or wreck it Whitey66?)

Thanks for the input Hui, this way I will finally get a good combination on my calibrations with everyones input.

I tried your settings but found it too yellowish for my liking, warm 2 is the problem here for me.

...SNIP...

No probs, Dr. Z. If you're finding Warm 2 too yellowish, maybe you could try Warm 1 with Clear White on Low as an alternative (Warm 1 will give you a less 'yellow' picture; Clear White will whiten the highlights but keep the mids and shadows warm).

Anyway, other than the colour temp, I think we're pretty much agreed on the other settings.