Sign in to follow this  
here2rock1503559562

Samsung's 50" P9, Full Hd Plasma

Well this morning I went to JB Hi-Fi at Warringah Mall.

They had the new Samsung Full HD P9 plasma demoing on their "Blu-ray wall", along with the Hitachi P50X01 and the Panasonic TH-PZ700A. (The Samsung new M8 LCD and the Sony Bravia W-series were also there).

As always, I had to tweak them to get them looking decent.

I've posted my opinions about the Hitachi and Panasonic elsewhere here (in short, the Hitachi is good, but the Pana is better).

But the new Samsung? All I can say is...

WHAT THE HELL?

Where was this supposed 15000:1 contrast, ultra-deep blacks, incredible contrast and advanced "Ultra FilterBright" surface? Nowhere!!

There was a LOT of ambient light in the shop, and I had to cup my hands over each of the screens to get a better idea of their true black levels, but it was clear that:

1. The Samsung's blacks were no deeper than the Pana - maybe even a tad greyer.

2. It was very slightly softer.

3. The screen was massively reflective.

4. The Samsung had no offensive judder problem, as reported by someone here. Motion was the same as the Pana.

It looks like the Panasonic is the outright winner in the picture quality stakes - no question about it.

Their quoted "15000:1" is Dynamic contrast. Actual contrast would be no more than about 2000:1. Pioneer Kuro is a REAL 16000:1 contrast. If pioneer rated theirs the same way it would be about 120,000:1 .

I looked at the set at Good Guys, it was not set up properly. The salesman showed me Finding Nemo DVD with RCA cable! As you would expect the quality was crap. He said if I wanted a better quality then I should go for the Samsung LCD. It did not take me long to walk out of the store and find another one where it is set up properly.

Clive Peters is the only shop where they set up things properly and you can play around with the settings and remote. They did not have the full HD Samsung or Pioneer 508XDA as yet. Wait for another week.

I looked at the set at Good Guys, it was not set up properly. The salesman showed me Finding Nemo DVD with RCA cable! As you would expect the quality was crap. He said if I wanted a better quality then I should go for the Samsung LCD. It did not take me long to walk out of the store and find another one where it is set up properly.

Clive Peters is the only shop where they set up things properly and you can play around with the settings and remote. They did not have the full HD Samsung or Pioneer 508XDA as yet. Wait for another week.

Without even having seen it - I can tell you that the Kuro will be noticably better.

Just be sure to check the blacks...even if it means ringing beforehand, turning up at the start or end of the day, and getting the store to turn out the lights.

Edited by Haggis2

I am looking forward to it. The salesman has my mobile number, he rang me last week when it was in but not set up as yet. He was not sure when it will be set up as they had so many on the floor, typical sales person pitch.

Their quoted "15000:1" is Dynamic contrast. Actual contrast would be no more than about 2000:1. Pioneer Kuro is a REAL 16000:1 contrast. If pioneer rated theirs the same way it would be about 120,000:1 .

Are you sure about this? Their website lists Contrast ratio as 15,000:1. It does not mention Dynamic Contrast ratio.

My understanding is that LCD's commonly use Dynamic Contrast Ratio. This is because LCD's real contrasts are around 1500:1 or 2000:1

holy thread revival batman!

anyway, contrast ratio's don't mean that much, as there's no standard way of measuring yet (afaik)

Catch good discounted Software right now.

Reported

Since this thread has been revived.....

Anyone else get offered refund on their P9 as no parts for repair??

Hopefully not a scam!!

Can feel an upgrade to a 58" or 63" coming on!!!

Since this thread has been revived.....

Anyone else get offered refund on their P9 as no parts for repair??

Hopefully not a scam!!

Can feel an upgrade to a 58" or 63" coming on!!!

More info on this???? I want mine looked at as the white dots are driving me mental! Would like an upgrade to their latest plasma please samsung! lol