Sign in to follow this  
creamop66

Samsung Ps50p91hdx

Ok i have finally setup my Ps50p91hdx.

I have to say this has been one of the most difficult screens for me to setup only for the fact that I have tried just about everything in movie mode with warm and warm2 settings to get the picture right. But for some reason shadow detail is lost to the point it is like night and day when I tuned it in standard mode. it reminded me of the settings on the sony bravia x that sony tried to make people use when they had the clouding issues.

Standard mode tuning took me about 1-2 hour to do properly, not days on end like movie mode.

The settings I liked the best were those calibrated through DVD Essentials pal HDDVD in standard mode.

I borrowed my friends syder2 colour calibrater but I couldn't get it to look right no matter what setting.

All my devices are run though a denon avr 3808 from the hdmi output to hdmi 1 input of the samsung P9

Denon is set to all analogue devices to upconvert to 1080p and hdmi inputs to bypass internal video decoding.

These are my settings I use for all devices.

Mode standard

Contrast 77

Brightness 59

Sharpness 0 (around 30-40 for digital tv)

Colour 53

Tint g47 / r53 or g50 / r 50

Colour tone normal

Size just scan

Digital NR auto

DNie off

(detailed settings)

Black adjust medium

dynamic contrast off

Gamma 0 or -1

Colour Space auto

White balance default for now

Colour Control default for now

Edge enhancement off

Comparing this screen to my 52"m81 I use as a main tv.

digital tv especially hd content no difference

dvd's look better on the P9 (using a denon dvd3900 for both screens)

HD material (hd dvd blu ray, mg350hd files) looks the same on both, but no judder noticed on P9 for same source material

Foxtel no difference except when 3808 does upconversion and some material looks better

Divx material through MG350HD (set @1080p pal) especailly 640 x 352 material (low res compressed material) looks way better on P9. On the M81 it looks crap (pixelated and blurry). The P9 looks great no pixelation or blurry.

For the those wondering about 24hz playback on the P9, yes it does it according to the Ps3, denon 3808, P9 info screen.

For those wondering about black levels.

P9 is superior to M81

Im sorry but the black is black on P9 I don't consider a bluer shade of black of the m81 to be black.

P9 does have some humming noise when 1080 matrial is being presented, but I can only hear it if the volume of what I am watching set to 0 and I am closer than 0.5 meter to the screen.

Hi Rhodesy,

Thanks for sharing your calibration details im thinking of using your settings, however my tv is a standalone that goes via the coaxial cable. sorry im not very techincal in regards to tvs, so would it look the same as your picture.?

Also just from your point of view do you think the picture quality has improved just by looking at it from your point of view from the default settings.

Cheers

Gabe

Hi Rhodesy,

Thanks for sharing your calibration details im thinking of using your settings, however my tv is a standalone that goes via the coaxial cable. sorry im not very techincal in regards to tvs, so would it look the same as your picture.?

Also just from your point of view do you think the picture quality has improved just by looking at it from your point of view from the default settings.

Cheers

Gabe

Coaxial input for DTV ?

That looks like a coaxial aerial input for tv.

Since the P9 has a inbuilt hd dtv decoder you can get dtv.

Those settings I posted will be ok.

With the sharpness you will have to increase it to about 30 to 40 for picture clarity as 0 setting is for HDMI.

As far as my settings go, yes I can notice a difference from the factory settings, but this also depends on the material you are viewing to the degree of changes that are noticed.

Personally If i was just watching free top air tv like you seem to be, then I probably wouldn't be bothered changing the factory standard setting.

Edited by rhodesy101

That looks like a coaxial aerial input for tv.

Since the P9 has a inbuilt hd dtv decoder you can get dtv.

Those settings I posted will be ok.

With the sharpness you will have to increase it to about 30 to 40 for picture clarity as 0 setting is for HDMI.

As far as my settings go, yes I can notice a difference from the factory settings, but this also depends on the material you are viewing to the degree of changes that are noticed.

Personally If i was just watching free top air tv like you seem to be, then I probably wouldn't be bothered changing the factory standard setting.

Thanks Rhodesy for your reply. Other than watch FTA i use it for xbox360 . Can you tell me how yours is configured. Meaning from the aerial do you somehow have it through HDMI to the TV?

Cheers - theres alot to learn isnt there.

Gabe

I was looking at one of these displays yesterday at a JB, and something stood out.

While the blacks were great, and the brightness not excessive (the surrounding LCDs looked a tad weird in comparison), the image seemed a tad soft, and not as sharp as the LCDs. Is this a feature of plasma's in general, or a calibration issue (there was a pioneer kuro next to it, which also seemed soft in comparison).

I had 4 of these tv(due to pixels out and faulty tuner) the first one did not buzz but the 2 after that did and the one i have now doesnt.someone else on the forum is experiencing this problem,i am upscaling dvd through my yamaha amp at 1080p and the results are stunning,sd tv is good,but hd is amazing pq i am so happy with it cant wait to watch blueray(channel 10 is now 1080x1920I looks great)as long as it is reliable i will have this set for a while, cheers

hey mate yeah all sorted and working great, i run a RXV-1800B yamaha reciever just released it upscales dvd to 1080p plus 7 piont 1 dolby dig true hd etc this thing rocks and a yamaha dvd mod s661B it also upscales but the yamaha rep said pass it through to the amp as it does a better job and after seeing it i agree, the only thing better than this will be a yamaha blueray or hd dvd as they havnt commited to any format yet this is a great set up, the amp retails for $1999 but you can get it way cheaper,happy shopping if you are in sydney pm me and i can hook you up with my yamaha contact cheers.

I was looking at one of these displays yesterday at a JB, and something stood out.

While the blacks were great, and the brightness not excessive (the surrounding LCDs looked a tad weird in comparison), the image seemed a tad soft, and not as sharp as the LCDs. Is this a feature of plasma's in general, or a calibration issue (there was a pioneer kuro next to it, which also seemed soft in comparison).

On display in the shop they would have had it in Dynamic Mode (Oversaturated everything mode), and probably running a general feed split into all the different screens via component or even worse composete connection.

Dynamic mode never be used.

Thats why we calibrate our screens to get the best display setup for our own personal taste.

In the shop I found the picture a little soft, but after 2min adjustment I was able make things look alot better.

Thanks Rhodesy for your reply. Other than watch FTA i use it for xbox360 . Can you tell me how yours is configured. Meaning from the aerial do you somehow have it through HDMI to the TV?

Cheers - theres alot to learn isnt there.

Gabe

I have the coaxial aerial connection going into the input one of these isolaters http://images.belkin.com/F9A1033-12/FUL1_F9A1033-12.jpg

Then from the isolater coaxial output to the P9 coaxial input.

I don't have an xbox 360, but if i did I would use a component connection to my denon avr, let the denon do the upscale to 1080p and output would be from the hdmi output of the denon reciever to hdmi 1 input of the P9.

If I was connecting the xbox 360 directly to the P9 then I would get the xbox 360 RGB connection, for sound a pair of composite leads to L & R input of the P9 and connect via that method for output up to 1080p. If xbox 360 had hdmi like PS3, I would use that above all else.

Edited by rhodesy101

PS50P91FDX

Hi if you are looking for a good price on the above give Joseph a call he works in Myer Knox city in melbourne 8805 0288.He gave me a great deal for my Samsung LCD.

Hope it helps :unsure:

Received mine today.. Thanfully no screen misalignment in the cage, lines, or anything else others have experienced. Some of my thoughts after playing with it for a few hours.

It's heavy! Needs two people to lift it properly (still not even too easy), and it's quite bulky simply due to the size of the screen.. Keep that in mind if you are going to be moving regularly.

I really like the swivel stand, it's very useful when it's on sitting on an entertainment unit to be able to rotate it back and adjust the cables on the back. Also useful to be able to rotate to different sides of a room if you have say multiple couches where people may be viewing it from.

Contrary to some comments on here, I had no issues with Xbox 360 connection via VGA cable, with no booster or anything like that required (not an official microsoft cable either).. Straight to 1080p. Fired up a couple of games, and they look glorious! While I've run it through a smaller LCD previously, all the small details are crisp and clear even at the massive size.

Sound quality seemed to be an issue for some, however I think it's the same as any other TV - basic enough. I'm used to not expecting too much from a set's built in audio anyhow and I've got it connected through a basic amp and floorstanding speakers. So not really an issue for me.

Didn't notice any buzzing noises from the TV (as yet)

Plugged in my Wii as well via component. Wasn't expecting much, but the P9 does a good job at scaling the SD to the full 50". Next step will be to get a component cable for hopefully a little bit sharper picture.

Does put off a lot of heat from the top of the unit. Not a huge worry for me and I've ensured plenty of ventilation, however would act as a bit of a heater during the hotter months.

Plugged in my PC via VGA connection and set resolution to 1920x1080, no issues there. Playback of video had no problems and quite a good picture. Next step will be obviously DVI to HDMI connector to improve it a little. Text is readable, but like any high res, the text can just become small without changing the settings. Does appear a little softer and not as sharp as through an LCD, so probably not something you'd want to use for daily computing - but fine for media centre functions, games, basic web browsing, etc.

Fired up a couple of DVD's through a standard DVD player.. quite good really. A little soft as you'd expect being stretched to 50", but still very clear, and very good colour presentation. Will do until I buy a PS3 or separate blu-ray or HD-DVD player, but it won't pain you to watch DVD's on it.

While you can shoot me for trying to play back lower than DVD quality on a 1080p set :P ..played back some Xvid's through both the Xbox 360 and the PC. The P9 does a great job at smoothing any imperfections, and scaling the picture. A couple of TV shows came through very nicely, and were not hideously blocky. Very watchable and I know I'll be able to do it regularly if needed without cringeing too much.

Edited by predator666

Ok i have finally setup my Ps50p91hdx.

The settings I liked the best were those calibrated through DVD Essentials pal HDDVD in standard mode.

These are my settings I use for all devices.

Mode standard

Contrast 77

Brightness 59

Sharpness 0 (around 30-40 for digital tv)

Colour 53

For the those wondering about 24hz playback on the P9, yes it does it according to the Ps3, denon 3808, P9 info screen.

Hi Rhodesy,

Interesting to see some calibrated settings.

From my research I've found that most people seem to be using the movie mode with warm 2 colour setting as a starting point to calibrate as it gives closest to ideal colour gammut right from the box.

I'm new to all this and don't have a calibrating disc (except THX optimizer) and a spyder. I'm just using my eyes so it is still a work in progress.

I run Movie mode

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 44 ( during the day this can seem to crush the blacks a little but at night for DVD viewing I feel that anything higher washes out the picture. It could be higher for day time viewing. Interestingly the THX optimizer puts the brightness at 51)

Colour: 44 (I think anything over 50 starts to look to over saturated the skin colours get to red and colours look a bit garish, more LCD like)

Sharpness:0

I'll have a bit more of a play with your complete settings and see how they look.

Out of intrest, why did you have such trouble with setting Movie mode?

I've included a link to AVS forum settings for this set, makes some interesting reading.

AVS forum settings

Hi Rhodesy,

Interesting to see some calibrated settings.

From my research I've found that most people seem to be using the movie mode with warm 2 colour setting as a starting point to calibrate as it gives closest to ideal colour gammut right from the box.

I'm new to all this and don't have a calibrating disc (except THX optimizer) and a spyder. I'm just using my eyes so it is still a work in progress.

I run Movie mode

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 44 ( during the day this can seem to crush the blacks a little but at night for DVD viewing I feel that anything higher washes out the picture. It could be higher for day time viewing. Interestingly the THX optimizer puts the brightness at 51)

Colour: 44 (I think anything over 50 starts to look to over saturated the skin colours get to red and colours look a bit garish, more LCD like)

Sharpness:0

I'll have a bit more of a play with your complete settings and see how they look.

Out of intrest, why did you have such trouble with setting Movie mode?

I've included a link to AVS forum settings for this set, makes some interesting reading.

AVS forum settings

Movie mode issues were to do with detail being lost especially shadow detail and the convergence from dark to light colours.

I agree that movie mode with warm 2 does get closer to 6500 kelvins acording to spyder2, but when watching actual HD and SD footage a lot of detail is lost. I tested various blu rays, Hd DVD's, normal dvd's, divx files, foxtel, FA TV.

HD formats seemed to suffer the most. It's like the colour black was killing all the detail. (black crush)

I might take some pictures to show you how much detail was being lost.

I will get hold of my friends syder2 hopefully over the weekend and play around with it on normal mode and see what it comes up with.

I have read that whole thread on AVS forums.

Hi Guys!

How exssshhhitement (Effie)...!!! Went and ordered my 50 P9 today. It should arrive by the end of the week or early next week.

Bargained down to $3076 + $329 for 3yrs ext (with "Horizon" who are meant to be quite good) + $35 delivery. $3440 total (cash). Not bad considering the prices at the moment. First I was given $3460 with one extra 1 year plus delivery (ticket price $3999 with standard warr).

Got it from GGuys in Osk Pk. A very nice guy helped me last time - so I went to see him again today and finalised it. He is great - I think I am not allowed to mention names on here - so, if you would like his name, please email me sappster@optusnet.com.au or PM me.

I haven't got a scanner, so I can't send anyone the docket at this stage. If you mention my name, the price I got it for and give him my details, I am sure he will be able to do it at the same price (or less if you can bargain for it!).

Thanks everyone for all the help so far. I am so glad the search is ALL over for the moment.

... next I will have to get an upscale DVD player (will wait until the TV arrives).

:huh:

Sappster

Edited by sappster

On display in the shop they would have had it in Dynamic Mode (Oversaturated everything mode), and probably running a general feed split into all the different screens via component or even worse composete connection.

Dynamic mode never be used.

Thats why we calibrate our screens to get the best display setup for our own personal taste.

In the shop I found the picture a little soft, but after 2min adjustment I was able make things look alot better.

I have the coaxial aerial connection going into the input one of these isolaters http://images.belkin.com/F9A1033-12/FUL1_F9A1033-12.jpg

Then from the isolater coaxial output to the P9 coaxial input.

I don't have an xbox 360, but if i did I would use a component connection to my denon avr, let the denon do the upscale to 1080p and output would be from the hdmi output of the denon reciever to hdmi 1 input of the P9.

If I was connecting the xbox 360 directly to the P9 then I would get the xbox 360 RGB connection, for sound a pair of composite leads to L & R input of the P9 and connect via that method for output up to 1080p. If xbox 360 had hdmi like PS3, I would use that above all else.

Hi Rhodesy great help thanks for your thoughts. Sorry more questions. Can you tell me whats the advantage of having a denon receiver? And what are the disadvantages of the component connections from xbox 360 straight throught the P9 to upscale to 1080P.

Cheers youve been so informative thanks heaps.

Cheers

Gabe

Hi Rhodesy great help thanks for your thoughts. Sorry more questions. Can you tell me whats the advantage of having a denon receiver? And what are the disadvantages of the component connections from xbox 360 straight throught the P9 to upscale to 1080P.

Cheers youve been so informative thanks heaps.

Cheers

Gabe

I upgraded my av reciever recently as i wanted to have all my video connections going into P9 to have the ability to be upconverted to 1080p. So far it's doing a great job. My ps3, HD DVD palyer, dvd player, mediagate, foxtel, are all connected to av reciever. Then a single hdmi connection from the reciever to the P9. For me it's an easy way of switching between my devices, + I get all the latest sound formats that can be reproduced from the various source materials.

Denon avr3808 upconverts all sources to 1080p output via HDMI if you want it too.

With the P9 you have to understand that this tv has the ability to playback 1080p material. It will not do the upconversion to 1080p in the tv itself. For example if you connect foxtel to the component input of the P9 directly, you are not going to get 1080p resolution. You are only going to get what the foxtel unit sends out in resolution which is a compressed 576 interlaced signal. If your xbox 360 has the ability to upconvert to 1080p then you have the ability to view your source material in 1080p. The P9 should playback 1080p over component as long as the source is 1080p.

Has anyone managed to beat or match the deal I negotaited with JB $3061 incl 5 Yr Warranty?

Has anyone managed to beat or match the deal I negotaited with JB $3061 incl 5 Yr Warranty?

This seems to be the price point ie $3100 delivered (ie $2760 for TV, $300 for 3 yr extra warr, $40 delivery).

Can people please post when the get their "free" LCD??

This seems to be the price point ie $3100 delivered (ie $2760 for TV, $300 for 3 yr extra warr, $40 delivery).

Can people please post when the get their "free" LCD??

Hmm who got $2760? I have been tracking the chats on this forum in terms of price people have gotten and haven't seen one that low?

I took the Myer receipt (for $2776) to Myer Melbourne, JB Melbourne and Harvey Norman Nunawading.....All said there was no way they could match it, because it was way below cost. The best they could do with standard warranty was...

Myer $3400

Harvey Norman $3400

JB $3100

What's the best price anyone has gotton from a Melbourne based outlet ?

I took the Myer receipt (for $2776) to Myer Melbourne, JB Melbourne and Harvey Norman Nunawading.....All said there was no way they could match it, because it was way below cost. The best they could do with standard warranty was...

Myer $3400

Harvey Norman $3400

JB $3100

What's the best price anyone has gotton from a Melbourne based outlet ?

In Melb. around 2 weeks ago, before the free LCD been offered with P9.

THe best price I could get was 3123(inc delivery) with 2+1 warranty. And 3323(inc delivery) with 2+3 warranty.

For Samsung I was adamant to get with a 5 year warranty, so I will have to get the latter.

Then he offered me PZ for 3150(inc delivery) with 1+2 warranty.

It was so hard to decide. At the end went for the PZ eventhough I don't quite like the matte screen. Still not sure if I made the right decision?

In Melb. around 2 weeks ago, before the free LCD been offered with P9.

THe best price I could get was 3123(inc delivery) with 2+1 warranty. And 3323(inc delivery) with 2+3 warranty.

For Samsung I was adamant to get with a 5 year warranty, so I will have to get the latter.

Then he offered me PZ for 3150(inc delivery) with 1+2 warranty.

It was so hard to decide. At the end went for the PZ eventhough I don't quite like the matte screen. Still not sure if I made the right decision?

Hi byt,

so how do you find the panel and what type of room is it in?

how is it watching free to air?

Hi byt,

so how do you find the panel and what type of room is it in?

how is it watching free to air?

Pls read the PZ owners thread, you can see my comments on the PZ.

Just two quick questions about the P9.

Will it accept 1920x1080 via VGA?

Does it upscale all inputs like the Pana's to 1080P?

Had a look today and seems very good, not 100% on the PZ and cant justify the cash on the LX508.

Edited by Gumball

Just two quick questions about the P9.

Will it accept 1920x1080 via VGA?

Does it upscale all inputs like the Pana's to 1080P?

Had a look today and seems very good, not 100% on the PZ and cant justify the cash on the LX508.

Yes, accepts 1920x1080 via VGA.. Tested this via HTPC at that res (or in fact lower), and Xbox 360 VGA cable.

Um, couldn't say for sure whether it scales to 1080p, but it does scale up anything to the full size of the screen and appears to do some processing on the picture so everything is smoothed.. Quality appears good to me from standard DVD player (via component) or Wii console (via AV) I tested.

Edited by predator666

Hmm who got $2760? I have been tracking the chats on this forum in terms of price people have gotten and haven't seen one that low?

Yeh that was the price in melb (as above)