Sign in to follow this  
creamop66

Samsung Ps50p91hdx

i know, i've seen the P9 and the Kuro side by side (many times) and to me, it's quite hard to pick differences.

however, the Kuro comes with:

- free delivery

- free wall mount

- free installation

- 5 year warranty

whereas the P9, i'd have to pay extra for that stuff, which makes the Kuro more affordable (either via the GB, or through a contact i know at HN)

still a tough decision, cos the P9 is a great panel

Where can you get a Kuro 50" for low $3000? You cant. You can get the samsung with delivery and 5 year warranty for close to $3k. To be honest I enjoyed setting up my screen, I did have to pay about $45 for a selby wall mount and I am a carpenter so installing was no big deal for me but it's fun setting everything up exactly as you want it then sitting back and enjoying the fruit of your labour.

Not all people can or want to do this however so I guess you would need to factor that in if neccessary.

Still a $1000+ saving over the Kuro was what I needed to achieve for the financial controler to give the green light. She did, and we're both happy. :D

I picked up one of these screens on Friday night and can confirm that it handles 1080 @ 24Hz perfectly well. No judder that I could see, and no issues with the screen getting confused about the refresh rate (the status message is correct). Blu-Ray movies look great.

Definitely happy with my purchase, however I'll be putting in a service call to Samsung this week due to excessive hum.

Hi Lurgen,

Can I just ask how you confirmed that the Samsung display is capable of 24P? Is it just a matter of the having the HD player displaying this on screen?

Thanks..

Hi Lurgen,

Can I just ask how you confirmed that the Samsung display is capable of 24P? Is it just a matter of the having the HD player displaying this on screen?

Thanks..

The Samsung on-screen-display tells you exactly what refresh rate and resolution the display is running at on-demand. I worked my way through different scenarios just to see what resolutions came up - games tended to be 720p, 1080i or 1080p @ 60Hz, Blu-Ray movies consistently came up as 1920x1080 @ 24Hz. No "p" or "i" designator, exactly as you'd expect from a successful 24fps demonstration.

I used a Playstation 3 over HDMI to verify this, connected directly to the screen (not via my amplifier). Three movies in a row revealed no signs of jerkiness or other abnormalities.

What I don't get is why Samsung isn't bragging about this. The screen obviously has an entry in its list of modes for 24Hz, so why not make a big deal about it?

Where can you get a Kuro 50" for low $3000? You cant. You can get the samsung with delivery and 5 year warranty for close to $3k. To be honest I enjoyed setting up my screen, I did have to pay about $45 for a selby wall mount and I am a carpenter so installing was no big deal for me but it's fun setting everything up exactly as you want it then sitting back and enjoying the fruit of your labour.

Not all people can or want to do this however so I guess you would need to factor that in if neccessary.

Still a $1000+ saving over the Kuro was what I needed to achieve for the financial controler to give the green light. She did, and we're both happy. :D

True, but I've heard nightmarish stories about Samsung service and the third party techs they send out.

I'm not saying Pioneer is the best - but they are more helpful and willing to assist when there is an issue (especially with a loan tv if the faulty one needs to be taken away).

$1k is a fantastic saving don't get me wrong, but I look at large purchases as a whole suite not just the product :)

, Blu-Ray movies consistently came up as 1920x1080 @ 24Hz. No "p" or "i" designator, exactly as you'd expect from a successful 24fps demonstration.

Thank you very much for that info...

I used a Playstation 3 over HDMI to verify this, connected directly to the screen (not via my amplifier). Three movies in a row revealed no signs of jerkiness or other abnormalities.

How do the games look overall on the TV, It's so hard to preview the tv in darker environment when every store has them sitting in bright lit areas.

What I don't get is why Samsung isn't bragging about this. The screen obviously has an entry in its list of modes for 24Hz, so why not make a big deal about it?

Tell me about it... You would think that they would list every possible feature in the specs. Even the manual is very limited.

Lurgen can you also confirm, whether the TV has a feature equivalanet of the Uk version which is Movie Plus Mode

As per Samsungs UK website which isn't noted on the AU website

"Movie Plus Mode eliminates the unwanted effect of motion judder by intelligently estimating the position of a moving object and creating additional frames based on that estimate. These frames are then interpolated in order to create smooth motion during fast moving or action scenes."

The 50" Q version has somethign called Real Motion Studio.

As per Samsungs AU website of the Q model

"All your story lines will flow more smoothly. The new Samsung Plasma TV Q9’s Real Motion Studio combines several technologies to render every motion more fluid and every shape more pronounced — no more blurred lines or ghosted images."

Thanks..

Thank you very much for that info...

How do the games look overall on the TV, It's so hard to preview the tv in darker environment when every store has them sitting in bright lit areas.

Tell me about it... You would think that they would list every possible feature in the specs. Even the manual is very limited.

Lurgen can you also confirm, whether the TV has a feature equivalanet of the Uk version which is Movie Plus Mode

As per Samsungs UK website which isn't noted on the AU website

"Movie Plus Mode eliminates the unwanted effect of motion judder by intelligently estimating the position of a moving object and creating additional frames based on that estimate. These frames are then interpolated in order to create smooth motion during fast moving or action scenes."

The 50" Q version has somethign called Real Motion Studio.

As per Samsungs AU website of the Q model

"All your story lines will flow more smoothly. The new Samsung Plasma TV Q9’s Real Motion Studio combines several technologies to render every motion more fluid and every shape more pronounced — no more blurred lines or ghosted images."

Thanks..

Games look amazing. Obviously, 1080p games look the best but even 720p games are significantly better looking than their 578 or 480 counterparts. I've played games in the middle of the day (with sunlight streaming into the room almost directly onto the screen) and in the middle of the night in pitch black and they always look much better than my old SD plasma. I can't complain about either scenario to be honest.

The screen does have a movie mode, however I don't have any real information on what it does. I don't use it though - it seemed to darken the image more than I'd like so I left everything in the normal mode.

One thing I have noticed though is games do tend to leave a bit of an image behind. They go away nice and fast, but if you buy one of these screen you should be careful not to let it get any burnin during the early weeks.

Where can you get a Kuro 50" for low $3000? You cant. You can get the samsung with delivery and 5 year warranty for close to $3k.

i meant that when you add all that stuff to the P9, you're getting closer (but still a fair way away) to what the 508xda costs under the GB etc.

Well, I have held off on the various GBs, Kuro, too expensive, PanaVX outdated a little, PZ nice but lower res than samsung. Leaning towards the samsung P9. You guys have basically said I should be able to get it for around 3200 with a 5 yr warranty. Hell I just saw it on ebay brand new for 3200 with 2 yr warranty free delivery. Even that is tempting, do you think you need the added comfort of 5 yr warranty?

Couple questions:

Ben - Did you get the buzzing sorted? (saw your post on WP, great price u got was that from GG in ESS?)

I heard a few ppl say that Samsung arent as reliable as pana etc. is there much to this?

Is there much of a clear difference between 5000 CR of Pana and 15000CR of samsung in the flesh?

Oh, someone on here said something about the filter brite making the screen have horizontal lines, any comments or truth to that?

Great threads on here, what a brilliant site full of fully cashed techno heads!!

cheers

Justin

Ok, just noticed 2 people with complaints about them buzzing, anyone else have this and how noisy are they guys?

I got offered one yesterday at Bing Lee for $3550 at 50 months interest free.

It also came with a free 66cm Samsung LCD TV.

Its an offer I can refuse as my 140cm rear projection TV has had the biscuit.

Cheers

Scott

I got offered one yesterday at Bing Lee for $3550 at 50 months interest free.

It also came with a free 66cm Samsung LCD TV.

Its an offer I can refuse as my 140cm rear projection TV has had the biscuit.

Cheers

Scott

Hey buddy, that would not be the Samsung P9 then, most likely the Samsung 46" F8 LCD.

Hey buddy, that would not be the Samsung P9 then, most likely the Samsung 46" F8 LCD.

I have just seen that from 1/12 Samsung are giving away the 26" with either the P91 50", 58" or 63" Plasmas. Not at all bad if you can get the 50 for around the $2.8K mark and get a $1K LCD as well!

I have just seen that from 1/12 Samsung are giving away the 26" with either the P91 50", 58" or 63" Plasmas. Not at all bad if you can get the 50 for around the $2.8K mark and get a $1K LCD as well!

That would be sweet, because I really wanted the 50" plasma, but was swinging towards the 46" LCD for the free tv.

You wouldn't happen to have a link for this deal?

Mate... you have just made my day.. SOLD.... I was going to go buy the 46" LCD this afternoon, just because of the value for money, although I did prefer the plasma..

However, I'll be trying to get a better deal than $3395 which is advertised at the electrical discounter - they're usually good, but that price isn't that great.

Thanks again!!!

So I guess I wasnt wrong Amigo my old mate?

Mine is on a ute on the way here now.

Cheers

Scott

Cheers

Scott

Mate, I'll buy you a six pack.. hahaha..

I cant see on the samsung site the promo for the plasma, just the lcd, can someone show me the url please?

thanks

Justin

Cheers

Scott

Thats the beauty of these forums.

If someone finds a bargain we all find a bargain.

If someone tastes a lemon, we all know not to taste.

Lets hope all works out ok.

Cheers

Scott

I just rang Samsung and the lady didn't seem to know about it. She first agreed that this was availablem to which I responded that it wasn't on the website. She then guided me to the website and I told her that it was for the LCD not the Plasma. She then checked again while putting me on hold and said that it wasn't available on the Plasma.

I have emailed her the link from Electric Discounter's to reconfirm. Awaiting her email reply.

Does seem odd that it's not on the site, yet Bing Lee and Electric Discounters have offered it.

I just rang Samsung and the lady didn't seem to know about it. She first agreed that this was availablem to which I responded that it wasn't on the website. She then guided me to the website and I told her that it was for the LCD not the Plasma. She then checked again while putting me on hold and said that it wasn't available on the Plasma.

I have emailed her the link from Electric Discounter's to reconfirm. Awaiting her email reply.

Does seem odd that it's not on the site, yet Bing Lee and Electric Discounters have offered it.

Further to this, just spoke to lady at Electric Discounters and she confirmed that they had received an email from Samsung and a postcard. I'd imagine that the lady at Samsung didn't know about it yet as it begins on 1 December, this is also why it is not on the website yet.

spewing if you bought a P9 pre 1 December then!!!

this is awesome news.

definitely sways me back to the P9 from the Kuro 508XDA.

Gotta say I love the new screen.

I dont give a tinkers cuss if they say it begins on 1/12. If the advertisement was up in the store, I bet I get my free telly

My Topfield looks great. I cant even complain about my IQ either.

Woo frigging hoo I say

Scott

I dont give a tinkers cuss if they say it begins on 1/12. If the advertisement was up in the store, I bet I get my free telly

you'll have to take it up with Samsung, as it's a redemption through Samsung themselves, nothing to do with the retailer (afaik).

and since the promo material clearly states that it applies to purchases after 1/12, you may struggle.

best of luck though :)