Samsung Ps50p91hdx

{construction= 7.5 now 9.5 when replaced}

9.5 that's very high for the P9 construction??

In comparison to pana 600A, Don't you think the P9 plastic is a little on the cheapy side?

Also IMO the chrome plastic on both sides of the T.V can be a little rough on the edges.

The only think I like about the P9 is , it has the traditional anti reflective screens of plasma (Same as the kuro except kuro's is bloody expensive) . Why do Pana. have to bore us with their anti glare matte screens. The Americans are getting the anti reflective screen versions.

yeah i guess you're right about the plastics. but i'm only concerned in the way it looks and functions. as i have it sitting on a stand and swivelling is the only thing i do to it, im not fussed by the tactile response. the chrome looking bits on mine are smooth. ill trade u the rough edges for a centred screen! :)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys!

Woohoo my first ever post! I have been reading many many pages from this forum over the last few weeks. Extremely informative, sometimes confusing, sometimes hilariously funny. Good stuff.

I have been thinking and thinking and finally settled on a 50" P9. Then I saw the 58" and thought - hmmm maybe I save up and get one of those in a few months. A good size that will last me for a number of years. i've been a bit indecisive about it - and have come back to 50" again!

Would someone please be able to send me a copy of their receipt for the P9 - esp. if they are in WA. I went to a few shops yesterday and said to them "Someone managed to go to MYER Garden City and get the 50" P9 for 3050 with warranty". The guys went away and came back with - the best we can do is $3490 plus a few hundred for warranty.

Today this (annoying) salesman at JB gave me $3490 incl total 5yrs ext warr. He kept BSing about features etc, so I can't in my heart let him get the commission when other guys in other stores have been extremely nice and helpful.

If someone could share a copy of the receipt with me, I would be truly grateful - email sappster@optusnet.com.au. If you can title it "Plasma TV receipt" or something, its less likely for me to overlook as junk.

I still have an issue with how soft SD tv is on this panel when I look at the shop displays - especially when they are next to the older 720p (?) Pana panels (which is what I was going to get before). But, I am guessing it's because the P9 is a 1080 panel and some softness is to be expected.

I still think a part of me would go for the Pana 50" TH50PX70A considering how well it handles both HD and SD content. However, I noticed that the image colour saturation was no where near as good on the Pana when compared with the P9. Could this be a settings problem? I didn't really ask the man that was helping me at the time. Perhaps I should have.

See how I work myself into a state of confusion?!

*sigh*

Any help regarding the shop docket or advice re: Pana TH50PX70A and 50" P9 is much appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

:)

Sappster

PS: Anyone that got the P9 panel in the last few weeks - would love to see your set-up and hear about your POSITIVE stories.

Dude, you get a free $1k~ LCD for nothing! Sell it or use it, it doesnt matter, theres no free tv with any other plasmas! I prefer the glossy look over the matte vieras. To be honest I was a bit disheartened when looking at the plasmas in GG as the dominance of BRIGHT LCDS just makes them look dull. I did prefer the P9 over the Pana though. The contrast ratio is a lot higher on the P9 than Panas. I am a bit pissed that it doesnt do tru 24P as I hate jerkiness in movies, but I havent got it home to see what its like yet! Certainly wasnt going to pay a stupid high price for a Pio plasma, not rich! I looked at all the models and if price was no object then it would be Pioneer, but next I decided on P9, before I relised u get a free 26" lcd with it, now that was the stealer, u cant lose with that deal. I think you should get the P9, but keep haggling and following this site for group buys to make sure u get it for 3 grand or less with an extra year warranty. Hell if you wait a little while u should be able to get it for less even. I went for extra 3 years as they are pretty warm and I want it to be alive in 5 years time, by then it can be a second tv for my 70 inch plasma that will only be a few grand by then probably!

cheers

Justin

Hi Guys!

Woohoo my first ever post! I have been reading many many pages from this forum over the last few weeks. Extremely informative, sometimes confusing, sometimes hilariously funny. Good stuff.

I have been thinking and thinking and finally settled on a 50" P9. Then I saw the 58" and thought - hmmm maybe I save up and get one of those in a few months. A good size that will last me for a number of years. i've been a bit indecisive about it - and have come back to 50" again!

Would someone please be able to send me a copy of their receipt for the P9 - esp. if they are in WA. I went to a few shops yesterday and said to them "Someone managed to go to MYER Garden City and get the 50" P9 for 3050 with warranty". The guys went away and came back with - the best we can do is $3490 plus a few hundred for warranty.

Today this (annoying) salesman at JB gave me $3490 incl total 5yrs ext warr. He kept BSing about features etc, so I can't in my heart let him get the commission when other guys in other stores have been extremely nice and helpful.

If someone could share a copy of the receipt with me, I would be truly grateful - email sappster@optusnet.com.au. If you can title it "Plasma TV receipt" or something, its less likely for me to overlook as junk.

I still have an issue with how soft SD tv is on this panel when I look at the shop displays - especially when they are next to the older 720p (?) Pana panels (which is what I was going to get before). But, I am guessing it's because the P9 is a 1080 panel and some softness is to be expected.

I still think a part of me would go for the Pana 50" TH50PX70A considering how well it handles both HD and SD content. However, I noticed that the image colour saturation was no where near as good on the Pana when compared with the P9. Could this be a settings problem? I didn't really ask the man that was helping me at the time. Perhaps I should have.

See how I work myself into a state of confusion?!

*sigh*

Any help regarding the shop docket or advice re: Pana TH50PX70A and 50" P9 is much appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

Sappster

PS: Anyone that got the P9 panel in the last few weeks - would love to see your set-up and hear about your POSITIVE stories.

Check your email.

cheers I.U. i have had this tv since monday and have watched everything from dvd via hdmi, foxtel via composite!!! inbuilt hd tuner, sd pvr via component, xbox360 via hdmi and also the xbox hd-dvd addon. i can only compare to my last tv whichwas a 50px600a panasonic.

in all areas of picture the samsung is superior, i suppose being a generation newer helps. waaaayyyy better scaling/shading, less noise thru all sources, no green ghosting on fast images, looks sharer and cleaner on hdmi inputs.

panasonic had alot better inbuilt sound tho. although for foxtel and tv i dont mind that much. other inputs have surround setup.

remote i found the pana more intuitive and better to the touch.

screen build quality is te area that my tv at least has let me down. the entire panel is misaligned in its housing. its too far to the right by 10mm and slightly too far down by about 5mm. its really disappointing that their flagship series of plasma ca have such a large tolerance for suc an issue. especially when the item in question is its main component.

once i get a replacement that is aligned properly i'll be very happy.

overall as of now i'd give it a 9.25/10, with the pana being a 8.25. once i get a straight unit it'll b a 9.5

pic qual= 9.75

just a tiny bit of noise thru hdmi on the hd-dvd. very little, but with such clear source material its just there when the picture is lighter colours

scaling=9.5 to about 8 for the pana.

foxtel looks 5x better than on the 600a and not alot worse than crt.

sound= 7.5

user interface,options= 9.5 to 9 for pana

quick to respond to inputs. exception being turning on takes a good 3-5 seconds after it starts to pic finlly being displayed.

unit asthetics= 9.75

antiglare= 8.5

equal but in my mind no better than the 600 pana

construction= 7.5 now 9.5 when replaced

input/outputs= 10

pretty much all units are equal these days

The misalignment must suck, will they replace it for you? I hate things like that, they should be perfect for 4 grand (they retail for)

Yes, the P91 does allow the input of 24hz, but unless the display can output at multiples of 24hz, I believe you will still see the judder. I believe the Sammy displays it back at 60hz.

So I guess it rather moot whether the it supports 24hz. How big an issue is the judder - I reckon its small unless you become sensitize to it - then it could become annoying.

I believe this is also true so the Panny PZ700 series which will read 24hz, but is incapable of displaying it at a multiple of 24hz.

The only plasma that supports 24hz display are the Pioneers - which can display at 72hz.

However, my assessment of the Sammy was still very good. If you are interested, I'll post my thoughts - both good and bad.

Cheers.

The Hitachi P50X01 also accepts 24hz and claims to eliminate the 3:2 judder issue with what they call FRC (Frame rate conversion) which is done in real time with any film source be it TV broadcasts, DVD, Blu ray etc.

QUOTE(Bertzz @ Dec 3 2007, 10:50 AM)

Myer receipt sent. I didnt have a JB receipt, just quote the forum - that was enough.

Bertzz, are you able to also forward me a copy of the Myer receipt to: lchoppy91@hotmail.com

Thanks heaps =)

Wilson

I've read on various other forums that SD tv doesn't look to great on these sets. Is it the fault of the internal tuner, or the way the tv scales a low res image ?

If it's the latter, then would regular DVDs not look great either ?

Regular DVD's look fine, very good infact. I use an upscaling DVD player (only a cheapy) but even SD DVD from my sony is great. The screen will upscale anyway.

SD FTA can look a little poor but not to bad. I think you'll find that any 50" screen showing a poor grade input will look a little shabby.

JB have this TV advertised for $3496 in their latest catalogue and Myer had a ticket price of $3699 when I looked this morning.

I managed to get (quote only):

$3450 with 5yr warranty at HNorman Osp Pk.

$3280 with standard 2 yr warr at Osb Pk GG

$3490 with 5yr at JB Osb Pk (except the guy who served me was a tool - woun't get from him)

(I won't mention names of who served me - in case I am not allowed to do that on here)

Going to go to HNorman City West tomorrow to see if they can do better. I am going to pay whatever and get the deal done tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks all for your help re: receipts and advice :)

*grin*

Sappster

I managed to get (quote only):

$3450 with 5yr warranty at HNorman Osp Pk.

$3280 with standard 2 yr warr at Osb Pk GG

$3490 with 5yr at JB Osb Pk (except the guy who served me was a tool - woun't get from him)

(I won't mention names of who served me - in case I am not allowed to do that on here)

Going to go to HNorman City West tomorrow to see if they can do better. I am going to pay whatever and get the deal done tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks all for your help re: receipts and advice :)

*grin*

Sappster

Try myer as well. The only problem with them is while they will price match their extended warranties are expensive and they wont negotiate on the price of them. Still worth a shot. Take the receipt and have a go.

Hi there,

Like sappster I'm ready to take the plasma plunge and have been lurking around this & other forums for the past few weeks. Love your work guys.

I have decided the 50" P9 is the way to go. Unfortunately it looks like I might have been too slow for Stooge's GB but I'm encouraged that others have also managed to get good deals.

Would really appreciate it if anyone would share a copy of their receipt to help with my negotiations, especially from Melbourne (princemr@gmail.com).

Hopefully I'll be back soon to report a good deal and a very happy new P9 viewer.

Thanks, Moosey

I went into JB yesterday armed with the receipt from Myer for $2776 (2 - 1yr warranty) and some comments about a deal JB did on the panel for $2961 with 2 + 2 yrs warranty. The sales guy went behind the screnes for ages and came back and said yes will do it now on the spot. I asked what about another 1 yrs warranty (total 5yrs) he said $100 extra. So $3061 all up with 5 yrs is possible from JB. I would expect them to claim that they are low on stock and that you will need to buy on the spot. They had a surcharge on Amex so I have postponned buying until I can draw hard cash and save the $60.

I'm really interested in getting the P91 and it seems like you got a great deal! I know you've been asked heaps of times but is there any possibility that you could email me a copy of the myer receipt as well? It would be much appreciated. Email is kelvsy@gmail.com. Thanks a lot :D

Hi Guys,

I am going to go to the shops tomorrow and finalise my P9 purchase, woo woo! Thanks for all your help :)

Now a VERY important question: :blink:

What are my options as far as upscaling DVD players for THIS particular plasma. I have read heaps of mixed up reviews on what's out there - but, what I would like to know is what I can use that works VERY well with the 50" P9.

I want to try and get the best that I can out of DVDs I hire from the video shop. The cheaper samsung and sony players are very attractive as far as price is concerned. But, I read that their upscaling is not enough for 50" full HD screens.

The Denon 1930/1940 (?) and the equivalent Marantz upscaling DVD players seem to have very good reviews as well.

Someone please recommend me something fairly good to keep me going until this whole Hd / B-ray saga is under control (or until I can set aside funds for the Samsung that does both!).

Forgive me if this post is in the wrong thread. I thought it would be better to ask people who KNOW this TV than on some random thread with other TVs.

Thanks heaps

Sappster

"Technology is Trick-nology"

Edited by sappster

They have quite a few different model samsungs on ebay. Here is the PS50P91FDX. most go for under $2,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LATEST-MODEL-SAMSUN...1QQcmdZViewItem

just saw the listing. sounds a bit suss to me. the warranty is only 1 year and i thought sammy's warranty are 2 years standard as listed on samsung.com

Note: This item is a factory second item. There may be a light scratch on the body or the box damaged. This items has been fully tested by qualified technicians which backed by 1 year warranty.

If anyone is bidding for it, this is a second hand

Hi all

I was going to get this plasma, but for some reason I ended up ordering a Sammy LA46F81 LCD....now I'm reading about all the issues with these models, maybe I should have. Has anyone compared the two in real life?

I'm thinking of going back to Myer and renegotiating a swap for the 50" Sammy P91 - any tips on pricing? They seem to hover around $3300-$3400...

If any kind-hearter user can PM (would love a receipt scan...) for the plasma, you would make my Xmas complete...

or ma_dun_ski@hotmail.com

HO HO HO

Edited by hetman

just saw the listing. sounds a bit suss to me. the warranty is only 1 year and i thought sammy's warranty are 2 years standard as listed on samsung.com

Hey J3Nova,

I just had a look through the eBay listing. Towards the latter part it says "Note: This item is a factory second item. There may be a light scratch on the body or the box damaged. This items has been fully tested by qualified technicians which backed by 1 year warranty"

It's tempting - but no extra warranty - no feedback from anyone else who has bought the same model.

Hmmmmmm....!!!

Dammit - so embarrassing. I just woke up ... didn't read your post properly (thought I was responding to the original post). you already knew that. *blush* ... *inches back slowly and hides behind a box*

I had 4 of these tv(due to pixels out and faulty tuner) the first one did not buzz but the 2 after that did and the one i have now doesnt.someone else on the forum is experiencing this problem,i am upscaling dvd through my yamaha amp at 1080p and the results are stunning,sd tv is good,but hd is amazing pq i am so happy with it cant wait to watch blueray(channel 10 is now 1080x1920I looks great)as long as it is reliable i will have this set for a while, cheers

I had 4 of these tv(due to pixels out and faulty tuner) the first one did not buzz but the 2 after that did and the one i have now doesnt.someone else on the forum is experiencing this problem,i am upscaling dvd through my yamaha amp at 1080p and the results are stunning,sd tv is good,but hd is amazing pq i am so happy with it cant wait to watch blueray(channel 10 is now 1080x1920I looks great)as long as it is reliable i will have this set for a while, cheers

Thanks Clarky. I am guessing the model you had problems with is the 50 P9? Is that all sorted out now?

As for the Yamaha Amp - can you please provide a model number and also the model details of the DVD player you have connected to it. I just want to get a general idea of what people are using so that I can narrow down the list when I go to the shops.

Thanks very much.

:D

Ok i have finally setup my Ps50p91hdx.

I have to say this has been one of the most difficult screens for me to setup only for the fact that I have tried just about everything in movie mode with warm and warm2 settings to get the picture right. But for some reason shadow detail is lost to the point it is like night and day when I tuned it in standard mode. it reminded me of the settings on the sony bravia x that sony tried to make people use when they had the clouding issues.

Standard mode tuning took me about 1-2 hour to do properly, not days on end like movie mode.

The settings I liked the best were those calibrated through DVD Essentials pal HDDVD in standard mode.

I borrowed my friends syder2 colour calibrater but I couldn't get it to look right no matter what setting.

All my devices are run though a denon avr 3808 from the hdmi output to hdmi 1 input of the samsung P9

Denon is set to all analogue devices to upconvert to 1080p and hdmi inputs to bypass internal video decoding.

These are my settings I use for all devices.

Mode standard

Contrast 77

Brightness 59

Sharpness 0 (around 30-40 for digital tv)

Colour 53

Tint g47 / r53 or g50 / r 50

Colour tone normal

Size just scan

Digital NR auto

DNie off

(detailed settings)

Black adjust medium

dynamic contrast off

Gamma 0 or -1

Colour Space auto

White balance default for now

Colour Control default for now

Edge enhancement off

Comparing this screen to my 52"m81 I use as a main tv.

digital tv especially hd content no difference

dvd's look better on the P9 (using a denon dvd3900 for both screens)

HD material (hd dvd blu ray, mg350hd files) looks the same on both, but no judder noticed on P9 for same source material

Foxtel no difference except when 3808 does upconversion and some material looks better

Divx material through MG350HD (set @1080p pal) especailly 640 x 352 material (low res compressed material) looks way better on P9. On the M81 it looks crap (pixelated and blurry). The P9 looks great no pixelation or blurry.

For the those wondering about 24hz playback on the P9, yes it does it according to the Ps3, denon 3808, P9 info screen.

For those wondering about black levels.

P9 is superior to M81

Im sorry but the black is black on P9 I don't consider a bluer shade of black of the m81 to be black.

P9 does have some humming noise when 1080 matrial is being presented, but I can only hear it if the volume of what I am watching set to 0 and I am closer than 0.5 meter to the screen.