Samsung Ps50p91hdx

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I faxed mine in.

I got my email back 20 seconds later.

Gotta love email.

The dude on the phone said it had been a very popular promotion too.

As they state while stocks last, I wouldnt be sitting on the paperwork for too long in case you miss out.

Cheers

Scott

I have tried 2 other email address's and nothing. I have checked junk mail and nothing in them.

The email address's work fine I sent a test email to all 3 and all 3 I was able to get the test message I sent.

What else could be causing this issue ?

UPDATE

One of the ones I just sent recently went through, I now have the information from Samsung I require.

Can't believe it took 4 attempts. :blink:

Edited by rhodesy101

I went into JB yesterday armed with the receipt from Myer for $2776 (2 - 1yr warranty) and some comments about a deal JB did on the panel for $2961 with 2 + 2 yrs warranty. The sales guy went behind the screnes for ages and came back and said yes will do it now on the spot. I asked what about another 1 yrs warranty (total 5yrs) he said $100 extra. So $3061 all up with 5 yrs is possible from JB. I would expect them to claim that they are low on stock and that you will need to buy on the spot. They had a surcharge on Amex so I have postponned buying until I can draw hard cash and save the $60.

Hi Bertzz,

Any chance that I can get a copy of the receipt as well.

Email is ascollins71@optusnet.com.au

Thanks

Andrew C

Has anyone connected their Samsung to a HTPC yet? If so what is the picture quality like? What is your configuration?

I am very interested in getting one of these Plasmas but am concerned how it will perform with my HTPC.

Also, can any of you who own this TV and have a BlueRay/HD-DVD player confirm if it does 1080p at 24fps or not?

Regards,

Redleg

Also, can any of you who own this TV and have a BlueRay/HD-DVD player confirm if it does 1080p at 24fps or not?

Regards,

Redleg

Hi, I've got a p91 and rang Samsung re 1080 24fps. I spoke to one of the Tech guys who confirmed that they will accept a 1080 24 fps but will do a 2:3 pull down to display as the screens don't have a refresh rate in a multiple of 24. International reviews confirm that they must do this well as they don't seem to suffer from judder.

I don't have a BlueRay so haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Still a fantastic screen.

Hi All,

Im a proud owner of one that just came in and the PQ is amazing couldnt ask for anything more this is just on default settings. Can anyone share their settings with us and how have they found it.

Cheers

Gabe

Hi Gabe, just quickly

Contrast: 100

Brightness: Low 40's (the thx optimizer seems to always indicate 51 but I find that to bright for regular viewing)

Colour: Low 40's (was running higher but found it a bit to saturated)

Sharpness:0

Gamma:-1

Can't remember the rest of hand

I'm still playing and may purchase the DVD ESSENTIALS dvd to get an accurate calibration done. Theres plenty of settings on the net.

Try C-net US site, their review (samsung 5084 in US) contains settings for viewing in a dark home cinema.

Hi Gabe, just quickly

Contrast: 100

Brightness: Low 40's (the thx optimizer seems to always indicate 51 but I find that to bright for regular viewing)

Colour: Low 40's (was running higher but found it a bit to saturated)

Sharpness:0

Gamma:-1

Can't remember the rest of hand

I'm still playing and may purchase the DVD ESSENTIALS dvd to get an accurate calibration done. Theres plenty of settings on the net.

Try C-net US site, their review (samsung 5084 in US) contains settings for viewing in a dark home cinema.

Thanks Fast.. Will try those and see how i go.

QUOTE(Bertzz @ Dec 3 2007, 10:50 AM)

Myer receipt sent. I didnt have a JB receipt, just quote the forum - that was enough.

Bertzz, could you please forward me a copy of the Myer receipt to: guru.888@hotmail.com

Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Glenn

Rowville, Victoria

Think Audio Visual

Has anyone been able to get a better deal on the Samsung PS50P91FDX in Melbourne?

If so I would love to hear about it.

Regards,

Andrew

It does 24hz

So yes, but only from those devices that can output the signal. Otherwise your going to get 1080p @ 50 or 60hz

Yes, the P91 does allow the input of 24hz, but unless the display can output at multiples of 24hz, I believe you will still see the judder. I believe the Sammy displays it back at 60hz.

So I guess it rather moot whether the it supports 24hz. How big an issue is the judder - I reckon its small unless you become sensitize to it - then it could become annoying.

I believe this is also true so the Panny PZ700 series which will read 24hz, but is incapable of displaying it at a multiple of 24hz.

The only plasma that supports 24hz display are the Pioneers - which can display at 72hz.

However, my assessment of the Sammy was still very good. If you are interested, I'll post my thoughts - both good and bad.

Cheers.

However, my assessment of the Sammy was still very good. If you are interested, I'll post my thoughts - both good and bad.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts about this TV. I am planning to pick up one shortly after xmas.

Edited by Nathan D

I would be interested to hear your thoughts about this TV. I am planning to pick up one shortly after xmas.

I would also be interested in getting people's thoughts on how this tv is for use with Playstation 3 from a gaming perspective as well as for watching bluray movies.

Thanks

Andrew

Yes, the P91 does allow the input of 24hz, but unless the display can output at multiples of 24hz, I believe you will still see the judder. I believe the Sammy displays it back at 60hz.

So I guess it rather moot whether the it supports 24hz. How big an issue is the judder - I reckon its small unless you become sensitize to it - then it could become annoying.

I believe this is also true so the Panny PZ700 series which will read 24hz, but is incapable of displaying it at a multiple of 24hz.

The only plasma that supports 24hz display are the Pioneers - which can display at 72hz.

Cheers.

Well, who was the user that said it did proper 24P, he said it displayed it on the screen, I cant find the thread here, so hard to keep track of what thread has what in it....

Well, who was the user that said it did proper 24P, he said it displayed it on the screen, I cant find the thread here, so hard to keep track of what thread has what in it....

You mean this quote:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=855013

As per this member's comments - he actually called up Samsung and was told it only refreshes at 50 60hz

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=863088

I am then assuming the TV is only displaying what the content is being broadcast in and not what the actual TV is displaying.

You mean this quote:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=855013

As per this member's comments - he actually called up Samsung and was told it only refreshes at 50 60hz

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=863088

I am then assuming the TV is only displaying what the content is being broadcast in and not what the actual TV is displaying.

Correct. it accepts it as an input, hence the display registering it as such, but does a 3:2 pull down to display.

My assessment of the P91:

Positives:

* Good picture – I would consider the picture to be detailed with good colours

* Good level of picture customisation - plenty of different options to tune the colours, brightness etc.

* Good Design – In the family room it would look fantastic. I like the swivel base as it allows better use of our open plan designed rooms

* Excellent for all HD sources being a native 1080p TV – 720p/1080i/1080p games and high definition sources like HD-DVD or Blue-Ray, and High Definition TV programs

* Good Tuner with EPG and Favourites

* HDMI port on the side of the TV rather than just behind the screen

* Pricing – Best Bang for the Buck, especially with a free LCD

Negatives:

* Partial support for 24hz - only an issue if watching movies and can even see the "judder"

* Screen is quite reflective – could be a problem in my room as I have large windows on two sides

* “Samsung” Lean – TV can sometimes be crooked on top of the swivel base

* Sound Quality is average – a bit tinny

* Standard Definition (576i) viewing is okay but has some noise, could be deinterlacing, could be poor sources. I worry about Foxtel on this TV. NTSC sources (480i) DVDs are not very good - which is probably not relevant to most of you.

* The glass of the screen make ME feel that I'm looking through a glass window, if viewed from any angle other than front on, whereas I don't get that with the other TVs.

I have spent a lot of time demoing and reading forums. In the American and UK Forums, they view Samsung in a more positive light than here in Australia. I agree with their sentiment and feel this is an very good panel. A lot of the negatives I have listed are relatively minor and may not be applicable to you. The picture is very good, not as good as the KUROs, but not too far away - especially for HD content.

If you have any concerns or would like to learn more about this panel, check out the AVSForum "Samsung FTP5084, 50", 1080p, 15000:1 Contrast Ratio" Thread. They have pictures of their panels :)

cheers I.U. i have had this tv since monday and have watched everything from dvd via hdmi, foxtel via composite!!! inbuilt hd tuner, sd pvr via component, xbox360 via hdmi and also the xbox hd-dvd addon. i can only compare to my last tv whichwas a 50px600a panasonic.

in all areas of picture the samsung is superior, i suppose being a generation newer helps. waaaayyyy better scaling/shading, less noise thru all sources, no green ghosting on fast images, looks sharer and cleaner on hdmi inputs.

panasonic had alot better inbuilt sound tho. although for foxtel and tv i dont mind that much. other inputs have surround setup.

remote i found the pana more intuitive and better to the touch.

screen build quality is te area that my tv at least has let me down. the entire panel is misaligned in its housing. its too far to the right by 10mm and slightly too far down by about 5mm. its really disappointing that their flagship series of plasma ca have such a large tolerance for suc an issue. especially when the item in question is its main component.

once i get a replacement that is aligned properly i'll be very happy.

overall as of now i'd give it a 9.25/10, with the pana being a 8.25. once i get a straight unit it'll b a 9.5

pic qual= 9.75

just a tiny bit of noise thru hdmi on the hd-dvd. very little, but with such clear source material its just there when the picture is lighter colours

scaling=9.5 to about 8 for the pana.

foxtel looks 5x better than on the 600a and not alot worse than crt.

sound= 7.5

user interface,options= 9.5 to 9 for pana

quick to respond to inputs. exception being turning on takes a good 3-5 seconds after it starts to pic finlly being displayed.

unit asthetics= 9.75

antiglare= 8.5

equal but in my mind no better than the 600 pana

construction= 7.5 now 9.5 when replaced

input/outputs= 10

pretty much all units are equal these days

{construction= 7.5 now 9.5 when replaced}

9.5 that's very high for the P9 construction??

In comparison to pana 600A, Don't you think the P9 plastic is a little on the cheapy side?

Also IMO the chrome plastic on both sides of the T.V can be a little rough on the edges.

The only think I like about the P9 is , it has the traditional anti reflective screens of plasma (Same as the kuro except kuro's is bloody expensive) . Why do Pana. have to bore us with their anti glare matte screens. The Americans are getting the anti reflective screen versions.

Edited by byt

My assessment of the P91:

Positives:

* Good picture – I would consider the picture to be detailed with good colours

* Good level of picture customisation - plenty of different options to tune the colours, brightness etc.

* Good Design – In the family room it would look fantastic. I like the swivel base as it allows better use of our open plan designed rooms

* Excellent for all HD sources being a native 1080p TV – 720p/1080i/1080p games and high definition sources like HD-DVD or Blue-Ray, and High Definition TV programs

* Good Tuner with EPG and Favourites

* HDMI port on the side of the TV rather than just behind the screen

* Pricing – Best Bang for the Buck, especially with a free LCD

Negatives:

* Partial support for 24hz - only an issue if watching movies and can even see the "judder"

* Screen is quite reflective – could be a problem in my room as I have large windows on two sides

* “Samsung” Lean – TV can sometimes be crooked on top of the swivel base

* Sound Quality is average – a bit tinny

* Standard Definition (576i) viewing is okay but has some noise, could be deinterlacing, could be poor sources. I worry about Foxtel on this TV. NTSC sources (480i) DVDs are not very good - which is probably not relevant to most of you.

* The glass of the screen make ME feel that I'm looking through a glass window, if viewed from any angle other than front on, whereas I don't get that with the other TVs.

I have spent a lot of time demoing and reading forums. In the American and UK Forums, they view Samsung in a more positive light than here in Australia. I agree with their sentiment and feel this is an very good panel. A lot of the negatives I have listed are relatively minor and may not be applicable to you. The picture is very good, not as good as the KUROs, but not too far away - especially for HD content.

If you have any concerns or would like to learn more about this panel, check out the AVSForum "Samsung FTP5084, 50", 1080p, 15000:1 Contrast Ratio" Thread. They have pictures of their panels :)

I'd agree with everything you've said. I spent ages reading the mentioned post (plus the ones on the UK forums) before I bought mine so was aware of the pro's and con's.

My screen even had the "lean" before I wall mounted it.

"Screen Buzz" gets a mention on some of the forums. Mine makes a slight buzz but nothing serious can only hear it when there is no noise and a bright screen. Interestingly I read a review of the Pioneer 508LX and they mentioned screen buzz with that. They sumised that maybe it is all the extra pixels needing to be driven that starts to create a bit more noise.

Never really notice the glass window feeling you mention, and even the reflections don't seem as bad as I had expected, even though I have large windows on one side of the lounge room.

The one thing that swung me to the P91 compared to the PZ700 (other screen of intrest) was the FTA. The P91 just seemed to have a much sharper picture with less noise (particularly with reds, pana struggled). I've been very impressed with HD FTA on my screen. As most of us spend a fair bit of time watching FTA I think it's important to demo them watching it. It looks fantastic with HD DVD or BD discs and even my cheapy upscaling DVD is sweet.

I think the comment on "bang for your buck" really sums up the P91. It may not be the best but it rates right up there and for those of us that want champangne on a beer budget, I'd say pop the cork and enjoy. It's not often you get to buy Moet for $30 a bottle.

Hi Guys!

Woohoo my first ever post! I have been reading many many pages from this forum over the last few weeks. Extremely informative, sometimes confusing, sometimes hilariously funny. Good stuff.

I have been thinking and thinking and finally settled on a 50" P9. Then I saw the 58" and thought - hmmm maybe I save up and get one of those in a few months. A good size that will last me for a number of years. i've been a bit indecisive about it - and have come back to 50" again!

Would someone please be able to send me a copy of their receipt for the P9 - esp. if they are in WA. I went to a few shops yesterday and said to them "Someone managed to go to MYER Garden City and get the 50" P9 for 3050 with warranty". The guys went away and came back with - the best we can do is $3490 plus a few hundred for warranty.

Today this (annoying) salesman at JB gave me $3490 incl total 5yrs ext warr. He kept BSing about features etc, so I can't in my heart let him get the commission when other guys in other stores have been extremely nice and helpful.

If someone could share a copy of the receipt with me, I would be truly grateful - email sappster@optusnet.com.au. If you can title it "Plasma TV receipt" or something, its less likely for me to overlook as junk.

I still have an issue with how soft SD tv is on this panel when I look at the shop displays - especially when they are next to the older 720p (?) Pana panels (which is what I was going to get before). But, I am guessing it's because the P9 is a 1080 panel and some softness is to be expected.

I still think a part of me would go for the Pana 50" TH50PX70A considering how well it handles both HD and SD content. However, I noticed that the image colour saturation was no where near as good on the Pana when compared with the P9. Could this be a settings problem? I didn't really ask the man that was helping me at the time. Perhaps I should have.

See how I work myself into a state of confusion?!

*sigh*

Any help regarding the shop docket or advice re: Pana TH50PX70A and 50" P9 is much appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

:)

Sappster

PS: Anyone that got the P9 panel in the last few weeks - would love to see your set-up and hear about your POSITIVE stories.

Edited by sappster