Austar - Cant Install Cause It's Raining

Hi,

Just got a phone call from Austar saying they cant install cause of forecast rain in the area and winds of up to 12km/h. That's right 12km/h!!! They now wish to re-schedule for next Wednesday.

I asked the operator (I am not comfortable with calling them customer service) whether Austar have any credit available for the fact that I am taking the day off work today to get it installed and now I need to take another day off next Wednesday and pray that it doesn't rain. It is also apparent that if the severe cyclone warning of 12km/h re-appears then they wont be able to install either.

Does anyone know if I can call them back and say "Hey, the suns out. Get the tech to come out and install the internal outlets and lay cables and when the roof dries out, you can finish with the fixing the satellite into place."?

Any Austar tech's out there who want to help me out? I'm going in for a knee reco tomorrow and was looking forward to Austar to get me through the monotony of couch life!

Does anyone have any experience in expediating the install or advising them that it isnt raining and as such I would be really appreciative if they come out and install as we agreed?

You wont get credit for taking a day off work, because AUSTAR didn't cancel it by choice. It was a forced decision.

I could ask you, would it be fair for AUSTAR to ask you for an extra $100 if they turned up to your house and you weren't home at the pre-arranged time?

That sort of thing happens time and time again, yet we don't kick up too much of a stink at all, we re-affirm the details of the booking and the specified requirements that we ask be met, and we rebook it, after wasting $100's of dollars in resources in a failed installation attempt.

Sorry to say it mate, but you'll just have to suck it up... AUSTAR can't control the weather.

The other thing I should have added, that the only thing raning down is rays of sunshine!

Guaranteed that wouldn't have worked. The representative that you spoke with either had rung or would be ringing a bunch of people around you, an guaranteed at least one person who thought about anyone but themself would confirm the weather. Plus, our tech would turn up, take one look at it and turn around, walk away.

C'mon, it's not fair to ask a guy to get on the roof and install a dish when the roof is probably slippery as hell, and there's a chance it could rain again.

I could ask you, would it be fair for AUSTAR to ask you for an extra $100 if they turned up to your house and you weren't home at the pre-arranged time?

Every time Ive needed a tech call Austar have had the good business sense/good customer relations to re-confirm the booking a couple of days before the tech is supposed to turn up, and, then my local tech calls the night b4, and also in the morning to make sure someone will be here, after all we are country and its not a five minute drive for him, so if they do all that and I wasnt here, then yeah, I reckon they would be in their rights to fee me.

That said, its unusual for Austar not to fee for a no show, I used to live in the big smoke and my neighbour forgot that the Optus cable tv tech was coming one day, and Optus did bill him a no-show fee, i have never had foxtel but I reckon that mob would definately fee for no-shows as well. Telstra never misses a chance to apply a fee so I reckon its odds on for that mob as well!

Having been stood up by a solar film company yesterday, costing me a day off, I catch myself thinking they owe me 3 free window treatments :angry: They decided to do the local bus fleet instead and failed to ring me. Told them to forget the whole thing - I've called someone else. Pity you can't always do this with your chosen PayTV installer, however surely a phone call or two before leaving for the job(s) would solve most no-one-home problems? It's worked for me recently when getting quotes and appliances repaired. This fee by PayTV installers sounds like another little grab for your wallet in what I consider to be Pay-for-Ads-and-RepeatsTV. Thankfully I'm not that into sport to really need it.

OH&S my friend.

You dont want to force anybody to break OH&S laws, and I think it is very unreasonable of you to even suggest this.

An unsafe workplace is not the place to be.

This dis-pleases me greatly. People are killed because of people like you. Wanting them to do things when it is clearly unsafe to do so.

These rules and laws were not put in place just so you can have bloody Austar. What is more important, I ask you.

Hi,

Just got a phone call from Austar saying they cant install cause of forecast rain in the area and winds of up to 12km/h. That's right 12km/h!!! They now wish to re-schedule for next Wednesday.

I asked the operator (I am not comfortable with calling them customer service) whether Austar have any credit available for the fact that I am taking the day off work today to get it installed and now I need to take another day off next Wednesday and pray that it doesn't rain. It is also apparent that if the severe cyclone warning of 12km/h re-appears then they wont be able to install either.

Does anyone know if I can call them back and say "Hey, the suns out. Get the tech to come out and install the internal outlets and lay cables and when the roof dries out, you can finish with the fixing the satellite into place."?

Any Austar tech's out there who want to help me out? I'm going in for a knee reco tomorrow and was looking forward to Austar to get me through the monotony of couch life!

Does anyone have any experience in expediating the install or advising them that it isnt raining and as such I would be really appreciative if they come out and install as we agreed?

You dont want to force anybody to break OH&S laws, and I think it is very unreasonable of you to even suggest this. An unsafe workplace is not the place to be. This dis-pleases me greatly. People are killed because of people like you. Wanting them to do things when it is clearly unsafe to do so. These rules and laws were not put in place just so you can have bloody Austar. What is more important, I ask you.

Silly question ... TV reception, of course!

It was once an amusing Japanese trait, but in the UK now there are more iridescent yellow vests on the streets and workplaces than regular clothing. Even school kids on excursions are wearing little versions of the things. In a world with uncovered wiring, pointy sticks and sudden potholes, it's rather amazing the human race made it this far without dying off, but I guess the '60s and free love got us over that hump and into this more enlightened era. Apart from surviving, those of us over 40 are somewhat amazed at what is now perceived as dangerous and in need of a bit of OH&S striped paint, iconic warning signs and a special vest. We're also amazed at what is patently dangerous but requires a sign, a fence and a flashing light in case someone who though ambulatory and literate, but otherwise completely bewildered, can't recognise an African elephant, half fallen tree or sheer drop as a bit dangerous. So much for evolution :wacko:

Back to the 12kph gale, which would barely flutter a flag, and a possibility of a shower of the forecast - that leaves about 27 working days per year clear and calm enough for an Austar roof installation, assuming they can still attach dishes to walls and eaves if a sprinkle of rain doesn't dissolve their anti-asbestos precautions. Hope they're not paid per job done.

Edited by Wing Nut

I do belaive that working on a roof is far more dangerous than walking along the footpath. It just doesn't compare. I guess back in your day, a death from a roof fall would have been acceptable, and this notihing done about it.

Today, we try and save lives and this is why we introduce legislation and advertise heavily.

Under eaves and on walls is not acceptable in all cases, due to having to work on ladders. And as you would know. A dish can be placed on a wall so long as it is 2.4 meters above the ground. Unfortunantly 95% of houses will not comply with this rule. And a nothing thing. If I dont want to work in the rain, I bloody well dont have to. Stick your Austar where it fits best if you ask me. I know Austra and the contracting companies would not even hint at forcing a tech to work in the rain. So build a bridge my friend. (in the rain if you care).

I thought the 60's was just a decade of drug addicts.

Silly question ... TV reception, of course!

It was once an amusing Japanese trait, but in the UK now there are more iridescent yellow vests on the streets and workplaces than regular clothing. Even school kids on excursions are wearing little versions of the things. In a world with uncovered wiring, pointy sticks and sudden potholes, it's rather amazing the human race made it this far without dying off, but I guess the '60s and free love got us over that hump and into this more enlightened era. Apart from surviving, those of us over 40 are somewhat amazed at what is now perceived as dangerous and in need of a bit of OH&S striped paint, iconic warning signs and a special vest. We're also amazed at what is patently dangerous but requires a sign, a fence and a flashing light in case someone who though ambulatory and literate, but otherwise completely bewildered, can't recognise an African elephant, half fallen tree or sheer drop as a bit dangerous. So much for evolution :wacko:

Back to the 12kph gale, which would barely flutter a flag, and a possibility of a shower of the forecast - that leaves about 27 working days per year clear and calm enough for an Austar roof installation, assuming they can still attach dishes to walls and eaves if a sprinkle of rain doesn't dissolve their anti-asbestos precautions. Hope they're not paid per job done.

Having been stood up by a solar film company yesterday, costing me a day off, I catch myself thinking they owe me 3 free window treatments :angry: They decided to do the local bus fleet instead and failed to ring me. Told them to forget the whole thing - I've called someone else. Pity you can't always do this with your chosen PayTV installer, however surely a phone call or two before leaving for the job(s) would solve most no-one-home problems? It's worked for me recently when getting quotes and appliances repaired. This fee by PayTV installers sounds like another little grab for your wallet in what I consider to be Pay-for-Ads-and-RepeatsTV. Thankfully I'm not that into sport to really need it.

I think you need to re-read. AUSTAR doesn't charge for a no-show. That was my point. After about 4 no-show's, we get a bit demand-y.

I do belaive that working on a roof is far more dangerous than walking along the footpath. It just doesn't compare. I guess back in your day, a death from a roof fall would have been acceptable, and this notihing done about it. ....I thought the 60's was just a decade of drug addicts.

Did you read what I wrote? You seem somewhat fixated on not working on a wet roof yet no one has suggested you should. Firstly, of course wandering about on a roof is more dangerous than the average footpath. Where did I suggest otherwise? And where did I say that working on roofs in rain or strong winds was in anyway acceptable?

The gist of the initial post was about installers not even bothering to roster the job since a weather forecast suggested a possible shower and 12kph winds. That's a forecast, not a report, so the roof could stay dry all day with only a slight breeze. My comment was that there were unlikely to be many dishes installed if these guys stayed indoors on the basis of a fairly common 'possible shower' forecast. The least they could do is turn up, check the actual weather in that locale on these sorts of days, assuming they're able to spot an impending shower or a roof wet from recent rain, then decide to climb up or not. So I didn't and I still don't suggest going out in the rain, but I am suggesting that sitting in the canteen awaiting a really good 12 hour forecast will only leave a few clear calm working days per year and a long wait for some customers in often wet and windy climes.

Techs are actually given their jobs at about 5pm the day before.

They then decide the route.

The next day they will decide if the weather is too bad to do the work.

Remember, the techs are self employed sub-contractors, and costs THEM to turn up at your door to tell you. They ring Austar and tell them that the weather is too bad and to cancel their jobs.

They would rather do the work, because no work means NO PAY!

Did you read what I wrote? You seem somewhat fixated on not working on a wet roof yet no one has suggested you should. Firstly, of course wandering about on a roof is more dangerous than the average footpath. Where did I suggest otherwise? And where did I say that working on roofs in rain or strong winds was in anyway acceptable?

The gist of the initial post was about installers not even bothering to roster the job since a weather forecast suggested a possible shower and 12kph winds. That's a forecast, not a report, so the roof could stay dry all day with only a slight breeze. My comment was that there were unlikely to be many dishes installed if these guys stayed indoors on the basis of a fairly common 'possible shower' forecast. The least they could do is turn up, check the actual weather in that locale on these sorts of days, assuming they're able to spot an impending shower or a roof wet from recent rain, then decide to climb up or not. So I didn't and I still don't suggest going out in the rain, but I am suggesting that sitting in the canteen awaiting a really good 12 hour forecast will only leave a few clear calm working days per year and a long wait for some customers in often wet and windy climes.

Remember, the techs are self employed sub-contractors, and costs THEM to turn up at your door to tell you. They ring Austar and tell them that the weather is too bad and to cancel their jobs. They would rather do the work, because no work means NO PAY!

Then the original complaints about the installers calling off the task on a nice sunny day, just because the weather forecaster the night before thought there might be an isolated shower, seems a silly decision to make if they'd really prefer to go to work. On that basis I can see the building and outdoor construction industry coming to a complete halt thanks to a possible shower mentioned in a forecast the evening before. Not to mention many weekend BBQs and picnics.

As for installers turning up at the door to report they're not coming ... ?

• 4 weeks later...
... Austar saying they cant install cause of forecast rain in the area ...

Had my first rain fade(d) signal last week during some heavy rain, just when you could hear the rain start to pelt down real heavy on the roof,

I totally lost signal.

This was for probably only 5 minutes during the heaviest part of the rain, ok after that ..

(had to flip over to FTA terrestrial for a few mins)

In addition to previous safety issues, installing in the rain is therefore technically a bad idea due to chance of reduced or no signal..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dasher1503561734

I check on the BOM site before calling off a job as a bit ridiculous to drive kms and get there and it is rained out or you get halfway through the install and hughie lets the rain come down so then have to pack up and head back to the work shop to return again when fine.

Best to call the customer and say sorry about the weather early so he/she can go to work.

Spec meters don't do too well in rain as not waterproof (mine cost $5k) and may short out plus a bit hard to point a dish when signal is down.

This is before attempting to install on a wet slippery roof where the silicon won't take and so possibly a leaky roof will happen.

I have to sign a OH&S awareness in my contract plus public liabilty of $20m is compuslery.

I do not think me insurance company would cover me if I told them I was attempting to do installs on slippery dangerous roofs.

Then if the company I work for found I was breaching my contract through OH&S abuses I would lose my job.

Maybe the whingers who reckon they lose a days pay should think a bit with a bit of logic!

A common thing customers have told me: I am working today so can you come around after I get home after 6pm! My reply: I am working today too but if you like I will but you have to supply food, drinks and accommodation, there, so I can finish it in the morning.

• 4 weeks later...
I check on the BOM site before calling off a job as a bit ridiculous to drive kms and get there and it is rained out or you get halfway through the install and hughie lets the rain come down so then have to pack up and head back to the work shop to return again when fine.

Best to call the customer and say sorry about the weather early so he/she can go to work.

Spec meters don't do too well in rain as not waterproof (mine cost $5k) and may short out plus a bit hard to point a dish when signal is down.

This is before attempting to install on a wet slippery roof where the silicon won't take and so possibly a leaky roof will happen.

I have to sign a OH&S awareness in my contract plus public liabilty of $20m is compuslery.

I do not think me insurance company would cover me if I told them I was attempting to do installs on slippery dangerous roofs.

Then if the company I work for found I was breaching my contract through OH&S abuses I would lose my job.

Maybe the whingers who reckon they lose a days pay should think a bit with a bit of logic!

A common thing customers have told me: I am working today so can you come around after I get home after 6pm! My reply: I am working today too but if you like I will but you have to supply food, drinks and accommodation, there, so I can finish it in the morning.

Nice reply dude. Well done!