Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
-GruG-

Pioneer 8th Generation 508/428 Kuro Group Buy

Recommended Posts

All,

The wiki has been updated. The FAQ has been moved there so I can continue to edit it. There is also an archive of the weekly newsletters for your reference.

Please make sure that you read through the new FAQ at your earliest possible convenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Grug, thanks for taking the time to organise the GB.

I am interested in LX508. I am seriously considering Sony 46X with the discounts widely available, and I fear the Pioneer will be too expensive in comparison. But maybe there will be good price competition in the lead up to Christmas.

I have added my details to the wiki and PM'd Grug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


All,

The wiki has been updated. The FAQ has been moved there so I can continue to edit it. There is also an archive of the weekly newsletters for your reference.

Please make sure that you read through the new FAQ at your earliest possible convenience.

Thanks for the work you are putting in for the GB.

As regards for the timing of this ... I am not one who wants to wait until after Christmas. I am in it to purchase the LX608 more or less NOW but I am prepared to wait until things settle down for a month or so. IF one takes the view that prices will drop after Christmas, then one could take the view that we should wait for 6 months when the model might be superseded and then the price will really be at rock bottom. So I think the "wait after Christmas" argument doesn't stand up.

I believe this group buy is for those who want one NOW, but who are prepared to let someone do the negotiating and bargaining ... this takes a bit of time .... but not after Christmas when you can always wait another few months for the price to drop even further. There are many people who keep saying .... I am going to wait for the price to drop ... and they never enter the market, always sitting on the side.

Please guys lets NOT sit on our hands and be forever waiting .... we are in this group buy because we have identified Pioneer plasmas as the number one genuine article and we want one more or less straight away. I know I could wait for 6 months and pay say 40% less .. but I am in the market for an LX608 now ! I just want value for my hard earned money.

What do others think ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i agree with you there mr campbell... i think its wise to wait for the 1080p's to be released and to see what people are being offered for them and with that info we hit a retailer and organise this group buy... so i'd say early nov would be the go ahead.... hopefully earlier :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post and staight into a GB - what are the odds :)

I was about to buy the older 50" model till I got news of this so count me in.

Interested in the PDP-508XDA or the 42" Elite depending on price.

Brunswick, Melbourne.

About to read the wiki and PM -GruG-

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the work you are putting in for the GB.

As regards for the timing of this ... I am not one who wants to wait until after Christmas. I am in it to purchase the LX608 more or less NOW but I am prepared to wait until things settle down for a month or so. IF one takes the view that prices will drop after Christmas, then one could take the view that we should wait for 6 months when the model might be superseded and then the price will really be at rock bottom. So I think the "wait after Christmas" argument doesn't stand up.

I believe this group buy is for those who want one NOW, but who are prepared to let someone do the negotiating and bargaining ... this takes a bit of time .... but not after Christmas when you can always wait another few months for the price to drop even further. There are many people who keep saying .... I am going to wait for the price to drop ... and they never enter the market, always sitting on the side.

Please guys lets NOT sit on our hands and be forever waiting .... we are in this group buy because we have identified Pioneer plasmas as the number one genuine article and we want one more or less straight away. I know I could wait for 6 months and pay say 40% less .. but I am in the market for an LX608 now ! I just want value for my hard earned money.

What do others think ?

I believe a group buy is to get a good product at a good price and buying in the first two months of release and imeadiately prior to christmas may not achieve this, if we can get a good price before christmas I would be happy but this is not about being the earliest adoptor but getting the best price. no where has any one suggested waiting twelve months or runout with new model before we buy. equally no one prior to this has said now was the rational for this group buy. my gut feeling is Jan would be best time but that is just my opinion what do others think (this also allows for some saving to be put aside). cheers alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


i agree with you there mr campbell... i think its wise to wait for the 1080p's to be released and to see what people are being offered for them and with that info we hit a retailer and organise this group buy... so i'd say early nov would be the go ahead.... hopefully earlier :)

I agree with the Mr Campbell and Mr TypeR. The Mr's have my vote. I'm in the market for a TV and I want it early Nov. If it drags on beyond that then I will personally will have to pull out of the GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree 100% austruckie........ I know why I'm here, and thats to get the BEST price possible. I can live without a new Kuro panel for a few months if it mean I'm going to get a better price.

If I was that desperate to get a new Pio panel I wouldnt be bothering with a GB, I'd be camped outside Hardly Normal waiting for the the doors to open on the 1st Oct. begging them them to let me in and take my money..."damn it I'll pay RRP... just give me my KURO...."

But I am patient and know that when the time is right the group buy will be set into motion and the negotiatons will be done, and then I will be the pround owner of a nice new Pioneer PLASMA.

As I've stated before, my original intentions were to wait until 08' no matter which plasma I was going to buy and I would be MORE THAN happy to do so for the good of the group.

Hey XMAS will be here before you know it and so will your new tv. . . .. . .. then my only problem is what to spend all the $$MONEY$$ I saved on...... and there are SIGNIFICANT SAVING to had, BELIEVE ME!

hmmm.......PS3.....Xbox360......A NEW HTPC.....

Edited by creamop66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
my gut feeling is Jan would be best time but that is just my opinion what do others think (this also allows for some saving to be put aside). cheers alan

I would love to have one asap but I tend to agree with your gut alan.

cheers

Edited by smithy744

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have to agree 100% austruckie........ I know why I'm here, and thats to get the BEST price possible. I can live without a new Kuro panel for a few months if it mean I'm going to get a better price.

If I was that desperate to get a new Pio panel I wouldnt be bothering with a GB, I'd be camped outside Hardly Normal waiting for the the doors to open on the 1st Oct. begging them them to let me in and take my money...damn it I'll pay RRP... just give me my KURO....

But I am patient and know that when the time is right the group buy will be set into motion and the negotiatons will be done, and then I will be the pround owner of a nice new Pioneer PLASMA.

As I've stated before, my original intentions were to wait until 08' no matter which plasma I was going to buy and I would be MORE THAN happy to do so for good of the group.

Hey XMAS will be here before you know it and so will your new tv. . . .. . .. then my only problem is what to spend all the $$MONEY$$ I saved on......and there are SIGNIFICANT SAVING to had, BELEIVE ME!

hmmm.......PS3.....Xbox360......A NEW HTPC.....

I agree that we are in the GB for the best price. You are always going to get a better price say 3-4 months after the launch. Buying in January one would expect to get a better price ... that goes without saying. However, I am in the GB to get the best price before Christmas. If I was to wait till after Christmas, why would I buy in January ... surely prices in March/April will be lower still and therefore your savings will be higher .. one would keep waiting up until 6 months ... when demand had bottomed out. I guess it is a fine line about when to buy and it is personal preference. I think we are after VALUE not just the best price ... there is no such thing as best price as they keep coming down with time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thanks for the work you are putting in for the GB.

As regards for the timing of this ... I am not one who wants to wait until after Christmas. I am in it to purchase the LX608 more or less NOW but I am prepared to wait until things settle down for a month or so. IF one takes the view that prices will drop after Christmas, then one could take the view that we should wait for 6 months when the model might be superseded and then the price will really be at rock bottom. So I think the "wait after Christmas" argument doesn't stand up.

I believe this group buy is for those who want one NOW, but who are prepared to let someone do the negotiating and bargaining ... this takes a bit of time .... but not after Christmas when you can always wait another few months for the price to drop even further. There are many people who keep saying .... I am going to wait for the price to drop ... and they never enter the market, always sitting on the side.

Please guys lets NOT sit on our hands and be forever waiting .... we are in this group buy because we have identified Pioneer plasmas as the number one genuine article and we want one more or less straight away. I know I could wait for 6 months and pay say 40% less .. but I am in the market for an LX608 now ! I just want value for my hard earned money.

What do others think ?

Right there with ya :)

Been waiting years for panels like these to come along, and I've been tucking away a little bit every year for one. I was very impressed when I saw the 5000EX on display early in the year but stopped at its painful price tag and news that the Kuro was in the works. Now here we are with (from all reports) even better panels that are considerably cheaper.

If the general consensus is that after Christmas is best, then that's fine with me and I wish you all the best of luck and a great deal. But for me, I'll be getting my new baby (LX508) before then :).

Edited by DaVillan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As I've stated before, my original intentions were to wait until 08' no matter which plasma I was going to buy

We should create a GB poll target dates and see where the majority sit. We might find there will be two groups the Oct/Nov group :D and the Easter 08 group :lol: .

Edited by chrisb03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My VOTES January.......after the XMAS RUSH.

wouldn't buying a NEW model plasma just before Xmas when demand will be at its greatest defeat the purpose of the group buy?

Edited by creamop66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


My VOTES January.......after the XMAS RUSH.

Yes me 2, id be happy to wait until january, as iam sure id be saving a few more grand on the 608.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x2

I appreciate the diversity of opinion here, but what makes people think that you are going to get a significantly better deal just after Christmas ? I would have thought that March/April would see a greater price drop. I don't see many people wanting to wait that long.

I think that a BG before Christmas would have more impact ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes me 2, id be happy to wait until january, as iam sure id be saving a few more grand on the 608.

You have raised a good point. We wouldn't be saving much more waiting a couple of months on a 50inch 720p, but the the 60inch is another story maybe.

I'm not going to wait a couple months more for a couple hundred dollars savings.

Edited by chrisb03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lets just tell the retailer we want January prices in October..... see what he says to that :)

cmon thats fair :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

It's good to see some discussion. At this stage it's been above the belt fellas, let's keep it that way. Remember, we're all on the same team here.

So to summarise: there seem to be two major points of view on the matter. Firstly, we have those who want their sets before Xmas. Secondly, we have those who are prepared to wait until after Xmas in the hope that they will get a lower price.

A poll/vote is an option, but then you really are excluding those who sign up between now and whenever we negotiate, and they have just as much right to an opinion as others here do.

I would think that the ideal solution would be to have such a low price negotiated before Xmas that those who were arguing to wait are satisfied that they will not get a better price by waiting.

Hey, I said ideal, not realistic. But if we think along the same terms, if the group is able to come to a consensus as to the prices/level of discount that are hoping for, we can go in and negotiate in November/December and try to achieve those prices/level of discount. If we can't get it, then we wait until we can.

I would think that this would satisfy most?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lets just tell the retailer we want January prices in October..... see what he says to that :)

cmon thats fair :)

Your spot on MrTypeR

I believe the margins will be less next year so you will be able to negotiate a cheap price yourself. The point of a GB is to get the discount this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Your spot on MrTypeR

I believe the margins will be less next year so you will be able to negotiate a cheap price yourself. The point of a GB is to get the discount this year.

I agree that with the new models there is more impact before Christmas. After Christmas is getting to be some time after the launch and retailers could well say that it is more likely that individual sales will drive price, not a GB. One might argue that margins are greater now hence we are likely to get better VALUE now than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many many different way's to look at this situation we have here......oct/nov or jan 08??

There will definatly be a window of opportunity after the release and just before xmas.................but the timing will have to be PRECISE.

Jan 08' hmmmm...After the xmas rush......its also when the biggest sales of the year are on, which could be a BAD thing because your average person becomes a shopping freak....c'mon we've all seen them fighting over dresses and shoes.

I like GruG's idea, and that to see what comes our way.

And then the biggest QUESTION..........go national or by state??

Is there a national "specialist" retailer that will stock the FULL range of Kuro plasmas...??

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry788173

Edited by creamop66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that even with a GB the price will be at my limit...I have also put an interest in for the Sony GB which has a time limit, which is well before xmas, so for me the issue will be if the price of the pio isn't as low as i had hoped i will have missed out on the Sony....so looks like if this goes into Nov - Dec i'll have a hard choice to make....crap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...