Sign in to follow this  
-GruG-

Pioneer 8th Generation 508/428 Kuro Group Buy

Numbers got too big.

And I now believe that it's pretty much suffered a slow death

How can numbers get too big, and whats classified as "too big" ?

You think a retailer would be falling over themselves to get a 100+ sales nationwide. It would be their yearly sales profit in one hit.

:P

it'd be nice if the original posters/organisers of the group buy would actually post on what is happening though...

How can numbers get too big, and whats classified as "too big" ?

Seems like there's no stock available or such a small amount a large order could not be filled.

it'd be nice if the original posters/organisers of the group buy would actually post on what is happening though...

Good luck with getting any info. Seems like its dead or close to it.

I apologise for not posting earlier, I have been snowed in at work.

The GB did indeed suffer a slow death. I tried to keep the group together over the last week, but delays with prices led to impatience, and most members lost confidence in my ability to do anything about it.

Which is fine, and I respect.

The GB did indeed suffer a slow death. I tried to keep the group together over the last week, but delays with prices led to impatience, and most members lost confidence in my ability to do anything about it.

Can I just say that Grug did an excellent job and the demise was in no way his fault. Its hard to organise something where models havent been seen nor priced and i can understand the impatience from the XD buyers who are seeing great prices and posts from members who have already bought.

If anyone gets some good LX 60" prices, please post.

I have already started another group buy, see this thread for more info: NEW Pioneer Group Buy

This was already in the wings, was waiting till this week to hear from Grug. Go For it guys

I have already started another group buy, see this thread for more info: NEW Pioneer Group Buy

This was already in the wings, was waiting till this week to hear from Grug. Go For it guys

Cool. Having gone through the agony of the last GB I'm going to wait until the LX's are actually available this time and I've seen one before jumping onboard another GB.

BTW: Thanks for your efforts -Grug-. I know you put heaps into the original GB.

Cool. Having gone through the agony of the last GB I'm going to wait until the LX's are actually available this time and I've seen one before jumping onboard another GB.

BTW: Thanks for your efforts -Grug-. I know you put heaps into the original GB.

I'm with you Homer....Nothing like seeing it in the flesh

And I suppose theres not too long to wait going by others responses about having them in stores by weeks end..

And see what these retailers will price them at would be worth the wait after the XD prices coming down so low compared to RRP also

I'm with you Homer....Nothing like seeing it in the flesh

And I suppose theres not too long to wait going by others responses about having them in stores by weeks end..

And see what these retailers will price them at would be worth the wait after the XD prices coming down so low compared to RRP also

the group buy will be in 2 stages... xda's now and lx's for those who want to wait.. so best of both wrolds really

the group buy will be in 2 stages... xda's now and lx's for those who want to wait.. so best of both wrolds really

After the LX so I will wait until released and I can see it and then I'll get back to you...

Thanks

Yea after the first group buy fell through, i decided to wait for the LXs and see what iam getting for my money. Not long now fingers crossed :D

Yea after the first group buy fell through, i decided to wait for the LXs and see what iam getting for my money. Not long now fingers crossed :D

I agree ... everyone should WAIT till they can see the LX models in the showroom.

It would be so silly to rush off and accept Sleep :wacko: Deprived's offer without seeing them ... :wacko:

I agree ... everyone should WAIT till they can see the LX models in the showroom.

It would be so silly to rush off and accept Sleep :wacko: Deprived's offer without seeing them ... :wacko:

my offer will be open for a period of time... allowing users to buy immediately or after they have seen the model they want.... ahhh the magic of choice...

my offer will be open for a period of time... allowing users to buy immediately or after they have seen the model they want.... ahhh the magic of choice...

Dear ALL

Given that we are going to be waiting for quite a while for the LX series to appear, it is up to all of us to see if the prices are going to come down. It maybe be prudent to WAIT TILL AFTER CHRISTMAS, when the silly season has died down a bit. What do people think ?

Sorry to rain on your parade SleepWhatever .... but why should people take up your offer ? :blink:

Prices will no doubt decrease after Christmas when the 'haze' clears and all can see what is happening.

Dear ALL

Given that we are going to be waiting for quite a while for the LX series to appear, it is up to all of us to see if the prices are going to come down. It maybe be prudent to WAIT TILL AFTER CHRISTMAS, when the silly season has died down a bit. What do people think ?

Sorry to rain on your parade SleepWhatever .... but why should people take up your offer ? :blink:

Prices will no doubt decrease after Christmas when the 'haze' clears and all can see what is happening.

From the way I see it - no one is forced to buy now or soon. An offer has been out on the table (just like any other GB) and it is up to the individual to make a decision. Wether someone wishes to pay slightly more before Xmas or wait a few months and get it cheaper is just like any purchase (being through a GB or not).

Like any technology, a new model will come out as soon as you buy this one and the cycle continues. Such is life ;)

Dear ALL

mr cambell... you don't have to take up my offer.. in fact, if you're upset you probably shouldn't... if you want to wait till after christmass go ahead i have no issue with that... no doubt it will come down over christmas.. and the following months and years after that...

i'm not sure why you're so upset? trying to understand...

oh... and the lx is already out dude... klapp audio in melbourne... and many others by the end of the week...

anyway mr campbell, if you change your mind.. best to post it in the CURRENT ALIVE thread... where people are being positive and are excited about getting a good price...

Edited by SleepRequired

Dear ALL

With GBs, if you are not happy with the prices/terms, you have the right to pass. I'm sure there are many who do want their Pio before Christmas, and be ready for the onset of the cricket season :) . Looks like SleepRequired has done a favour by organising another GB. I missed the cut off for GruG's GB, and ended up with a Sony from the Bravia GB because I didn't want to miss the cutoff on that one (which was just as well, as the Sydney main GB closed early due to overwhelming demand).

I don't read Mr Campbell's message as him being all grumpy or antagonistic. I think it's good to get some comparative perspective. Speaking about myself only, I'm a lifelong technology fan (ie. a geek) and whip myself into a frenzy only after doing lots of research on forums. It's meant that pretty much everything I purchase is of extremely high quality (and not the most expensive, but "up there" usually) and I'm never disappointed with it's abilities and features.

So when something like the Sony 70" XBR rear projector came along, I was "this close" to jumping on the bandwagon. Sure enough, something better came along (note to Owen: but not as good blacks and slightly too small and alot more expensive, I grant you that and more!), and I have the benefit of hindsight (via these forums) to see that it wasn't so bad now that I didn't buy the Sony (although if you know of one for sale....)

I know that new stuff keeps coming out and you can wait forever, but I too believe that it's worth waiting until late January after Pioneer sees their 1st quarter's sales of the LX's and the silly season is past. Then a group buy will have far greater strength to distributors wanting to move a lot of volume quickly. Don't underestimate the power of this forum's community - it's not just the quantity we buy, it's the respect we have within our personal social spheres that greatly influences a larger community of potential buyers. If I was a distributor, I'd be concerned about this sort of power and would be putting plans in place to prevent group buys if at all possible (or acquiesce and allow direct deals to be done, but this would cannibalise the channel I think).

Even if new stuff is just around the corner, those new products will have to go through the same peer reviews (ie. Us) and rigorous analysis before we were willing to move on to the next great thing. That takes time, so I don't see it an issue to waiting a couple of months for the current object of our desires to mature in the market and for prices to stabilise or reduce.

The Kuro is a bit of an exception to the normal incremental improvements in quality and features that have preceeded it, and I don't think it will be leapfrogged within 12 months by something comparable for roughly the same pricing points. So I'll be happy with the purchase for at least 2 years, then only start getting hungry for the next best thing in the 3rd year, which will slowly grow until I have to act in about the 4th year. That's a long enough lifespan to allay any concerns I have about whether this one is "The One", and to still my racing pulse enough to wait a couple of months.

It's like that damned Apple iPhone. Got all excited, got all involved in the forums, then after it came out it only took about 2 weeks for the lust to wear off. I didn't buy one, but glad now that the vunderlust is gone. I'm the same in a showroom - I'm an easy target for a sales person to whip into a Must Have frenzy. The next 2 months will clear my head somewhat, allow further analysis by people in this forum, allow the price to reduce, bugs and issues to start surfacing, and extra time to save for the larger screen so I don't have any regrets at all.

For those that are already at the "Can Have, Will Have Now" stage, then Lucky Buggers to you! But for those that are like me and develop a racing heart syndrome when reading about the latest Kuro news and are secretly plotting all sorts of things in order to secure one, the occasional cooler perspective of people here saying that perhaps they should wait, is just what I need. I know this might endanger the power of a group buy, but looking at the sheer size of the previous attempt, I suspect these chilled perspectives won't reduce it much!

Dir

Edited by Dir

Hi i know i've missed the boat, but i can does anyone know the sort of pricing that was had on the group buy for the LX608A kuro,

Thanks chaps