Pioneer 8th Generation 508/428 Kuro Group Buy

I am interested too pending what sort of price it comes too? Should I register in case or what?

Yes you should but you need to have read all the "conditions" for this !

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Post! Been watching the forum as I'm in the market to purchase a new 50" plasma. Just when I went to buy the 507 they became very hard to find. Last one I missed sold at WOW for $4000.

So now I waiting till the 508 comes out!

Count me in pending price and availability!

Willing to pay between $4.5 - $5.

Post Code: 4849 Far North QLD

I Just added this summary of issues from this thread to the wiki. Hope that is ok ;)

Issues that need to be resolved:

-How we organise communication/purchasing so group buy is not compromised.

-Price?

-Timeframe / Date that GB will be finalised.

- XD (720p) vs LX (1080p) (Do we wait till 1080p model is released / Do we include 1080p model in group buy)

-Total Availability / Metro Availability / Regional Availability (How does distribution of GB Members affect choice of retailer)

- Freight / Shipping Charges

-Single national retailer versus multiple state based dealerships?

-Return Policy

-Warranty

-Time from order to delivery

-Is Installation and ISF callibration included?

-Extras (Stands, Wall Mounts, Cables etc)

I am interested too pending what sort of price it comes too? Should I register in case or what?

Hi Infest,

There is no obligation to make the deposit, at this stage it is more an indication that you would be willing to take part in the group buy - at the right price. You may remove yourself from the group buy if you so wish.

I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate to all that I suggest you see the TV before adding yourself to the GB. I will take no responsibility if you add yourself to the list, pay for the product, have it delivered, and then decide you don't like it. As has been pointed out numerous times, there is a ridiculous amount of hype surrounding this product, and undoubtably there are going to be individuals who feel that it does not live up to the hype.

I am interested IF the group buy CAN significantly under cut the best price going around ... but HOW will we know this is the case ? With people snooping around asking, it is likely that someone outside of the group buy (or within) will find out what price is being negotiated, then spoil the party.

Hi mr campbell,

You have raised a very good point with this.

I would like to remind all current and potential group buy members that they are not to communicate the negotiated price with anybody. The people who are most likely to suffer are the GB members themselves.

I have asked that relevant price information be passed on to me after launch. The GB members will then be made aware of the lowest street price that we are aware of on a weekly basis through PMs and emails. This does not mean that I want members to go out and see what price they could get for a GB. If retailers become aware that there is a GB going on with several different negotiators trying to claim that they are acting on its behalf, we will lose credibility when we try to negotiate for real. They also may be less willing to negotiate if they know that they keep speaking to people about this group buy purchase, but noone is willing to lay down cash. Finally, they may think that obviously we are all really, really keen, and may not lower the price to the level we are after.

What we want to do is have an educated knowledge about what others are buying their products for after launch. We can watch the price trend together, and then when people are ready, we negotiate to outperform that best possible price.

No negotiations are to take place on the behalf of this GB without me giving the green light.

I Just added this summary of issues from this thread to the wiki. Hope that is ok ;)

Issues that need to be resolved:

-How we organise communication/purchasing so group buy is not compromised.

-Price?

-Timeframe / Date that GB will be finalised.

- XD (720p) vs LX (1080p) (Do we wait till 1080p model is released / Do we include 1080p model in group buy)

-Total Availability / Metro Availability / Regional Availability (How does distribution of GB Members affect choice of retailer)

- Freight / Shipping Charges

-Single national retailer versus multiple state based dealerships?

-Return Policy

-Warranty

-Time from order to delivery

-Is Installation and ISF callibration included?

-Extras (Stands, Wall Mounts, Cables etc)

Thanks brisvegas1. I will endeavour to address these issues as far as is possible in the private communication to be posted out to all GB members tomorrow. I will then look to build the FAQ into the wiki page after this, and will post these issues as a point there - and as they become resolved or more issues come to light I will update it.

It is important to realise that there are a number of issues to be flattened out. But that's why we're all here so early. Generating discussion about these points is the only way to resolve them.

Hi mr campbell,

You have raised a very good point with this.

I would like to remind all current and potential group buy members that they are not to communicate the negotiated price with anybody. The people who are most likely to suffer are the GB members themselves.

I have asked that relevant price information be passed on to me after launch. The GB members will then be made aware of the lowest street price that we are aware of on a weekly basis through PMs and emails. This does not mean that I want members to go out and see what price they could get for a GB. If retailers become aware that there is a GB going on with several different negotiators trying to claim that they are acting on its behalf, we will lose credibility when we try to negotiate for real. They also may be less willing to negotiate if they know that they keep speaking to people about this group buy purchase, but noone is willing to lay down cash. Finally, they may think that obviously we are all really, really keen, and may not lower the price to the level we are after.

What we want to do is have an educated knowledge about what others are buying their products for after launch. We can watch the price trend together, and then when people are ready, we negotiate to outperform that best possible price.

No negotiations are to take place on the behalf of this GB without me giving the green light.

When is the launch date ?

When are the 508/608 panels going to be on sale in retail outlets, so we can have a look ?

The Australian dollar is being swept along in a revaluation of global currencies, jumping almost 5 per cent in the past four days to hit US87c. Analysts believe the Australian dollar -- last night trading at US86.83c, heading towards the 18-year high of US88.45c struck in July -- could pass the US90c barrier in coming days.

I wonder what will happen with regards to australian pioneer pricing if the Aus dollar keeps going up aginst the US? Or is it the Japanese Yen which is more important?

I wonder what will happen with regards to australian pioneer pricing if the Aus dollar keeps going up aginst the US? Or is it the Japanese Yen which is more important?

I am sure the yen exchange rate is the critical one, the prices would be locked in now and only change if a prolonged and large shift in exchange rates happened. they may have hedged exchange rate variations as aud has been volatile lately , nearly 88 cents usd then 78 cents us and back to 86/87cents us all in the matter of 4 or 5 weeks, still it is heading in right direction and they (pioneer) might be more generous in rebates for bulk purchases, cheers alan

Was just reading through brisvagas1's "summary of issues" and I feel that most of them should answewr themselves when the panels are actually released.

Things like -Freight/shipping

-Installation

-Warranty

are usually included when buying a Pioneer......but we won't know for sure until thet are released.

Single national retailer versus multiple state based dealerships?

I'm NOT sure if this will matter?? depends on Pioneer and if there offering installation?? If the "lucky" retailer is BASED in SA wouldn't Pionner just deliver it to other areas?

Wait until release of 1080p...?? looking at the wiki it would appear most people are CONSIDERING the 1080p models. So I think its a definate YES from me.....actually reading older post alot of people seem to be happy to wait until November/December so we can get a better feel of the market and if possible get a better price.

After all isn't SAVING money why were here for?

creamop66

Edited by creamop66

Do we know if Aus is getting the 42" Kuros as well or just the bigger screens

They're getting the 42" 720p models. I don't think we are getting the 1080p models which is a real bugger as I have a very close viewing distance and 1080p at 42" diagonal is perfect for me.

I was requested by GruG to post these here regarding my experience in organizing the recent Bravia Group Buy:

How did you find the whole GB experience?

It went very smoothly actually, better than what I thought, thanks to a very friendly and accomodating sales manager.

The price and the service is great and I think many people are happy about that.

I am certain most of you won't be able to get that price individually if you walk-in to a retailer.

The only thing that people don't like is, since it's a store from Sydney, people from interstate are a bit reluctant to buy due to querry of difficulty getting it repair and replaced if anything goes wrong.

Organizing a GB is not that easy, but it's worth it in the end as everyone is happy to get a group price.

My job was made easier because I got help from many members in looking around for the best deal, creating the wiki for adding people's name to the list and to help me inform other members regarding the deal.

I, myself have not order the TV because I am not able to get day off work. Most likely I will order in coming week.

Those who got the TV either through delivery or pick-up from the store were very happy with the BG process and the price.

How did you negotiate with the retailer?

What do you organise as the method for the GB purchase (no price details required), i.e deposit, did retailer purchase more product, shipping arrangments, delivery times?

Negotiation is mainly through the phone for me since I was in Adelaide and the retailer is in Sydney. You must be surprise why I choose this retailer over those in Adelaide. It is because it gave me the best price, and being a large and reputable retailer, I have full trust in them.

Main thing to discuss for is of course the price. Different retailer will have different condition for a group buy.

Some will want to have the exact number or minimum number of people involved before letting you know the price.

Mine was quite easy and frank, he needs at least 4-5 people involved and he gave me a certain % off the retail price of the TV.

This is easily achived since in our GB, there are already more than 180 interested and the list is still growing.

Next thing will be payment.

What are the option for local and interstate people?

Can we use card? Any surcharge if you use card?

Delivery

How much it cost for local and interstate (metro / suburb)?

Delivery time, insurance, tracking

Extended warranty

Offered by 3rd party? - which is usually the case

What does the warranty covers?

Replacement, repair issue. Dead pixel / clouding etc

Deadline for the deal?

Once the price and term is agreeable, then how do you go about in buying?

I suggest everyone deals directly with the salesperson.

Get the salesperson contact details, negotiate with him so that everyone can contact him directly for purchase stating you are from GB organized by so and so.

This is what happes to our GB. Sydney people will contact the sales manager directly, they agreed on the price and they go to the shop to pay and pick-up or organized delivery.

For interstate people, we contact the manager, agreed on the price, he send us a sales docket though email or fax, we pay him by bank deposit and then wait for the delivery.

How did you communicate with GB members?

Communication is by forum thread and mass PM

Initially it is easy, but once the lists grew, it's really hard to track everyone.

So with the help of members from the forum, wiki was created:

http://sonygb.pbwiki.com/

People can just add their name (exact dtvforum display name) to the list.

Once I have the details of the deal, I just mass PM everyone in the list.

There might be certain sensitive information that the retailer would not like you to disclose the the public forum, such as the price and the retailer's name.

So pm is the best method for this purposes.

What do you wish that group buy members had done differently?

Be patient. It takes time to negotiate and find the best deal. If you rush into it especially before the TV is even out, then you might miss out on better deal, which you might regret. Remember that the organizer is trying his best to get the deal and to message everyone, which takes time. The organizer have life too outside the forum, so he might be busy sometimes and may appeared to ignore your message even though he does not intentionally do so.

What do you wish that you as the group buy organiser had done differently?

Get a deal from a large national retailer which can offer local pickup from any state.

But this is really difficult to organize because a lot of salesperson might not be able to organize it unless it involve the head office.

Remember, GB get a great price because the retailer can sell large amount of TVs at lower price compare to individual purchase. So it is usually easier to buy from one shop rather than many shops.

Hope this information will help with the Group Buy.

Good luck and hope everyone will be happy in the end

Edited by beejean

Hope this information will help with the Group Buy.

Good luck and hope everyone will be happy in the end

Thanks beejean for taking the time to help us all out, despite being super-busy. I know everyone here greatly appreciates this information.

+1 beejean.

hey,clarky here im anewbie better count me in for full hd 50'' kuro was looking at hitachi and pana but i think it might have to be kuro if price is good , cheers how do i register im a computer dummie.

Hi clarky,

Before you sign up, I would ask you to think long and hard about putting your name on the list. You seem to have had a number of valid criticisms regarding other plasma panels made by Panasonic and Hitachi, so I would really suggest that you wait to see this TV to ensure that it meets your needs. I would not want you to pay for an item that you are disappointed with.

Having said that, if you are certain (like me!) that you would like a model, then follow the link in my signature and follow the directions provided.

I would like to take this opportunity to highlight to all potential GB members that membership is for people who are serious about purchasing this TV. If you are not sure that you will be buying this TV, then please wait until you are certain that this is the TV that you want. If we have a number of people who are not serious, then that creates a potential risk to dozens of honest people who have worked very hard at acheiving a low price, and puts at risk a group who has spent many an hour working hard to cough up the dough to buy this product.

I simply ask any potential member that you weigh up your actions seriously, as this will be a large kindness to many others.

Edited by -GruG-
I put an interest in for the Sony XBR GB and even though i am undecided (bloody 508XD) was blown away by the whole Bravia GB experience, even down to the retailers help with freight charges to SA....

I have a feeling than Oct 1st will sway you to our side mikeals. :D

Parts of this group buy have been modelled on the success of the Bravia GB, and I hope to at least achieve the same level of success as has been seen there.

I have a feeling than Oct 1st will sway you to our side mikeals. :D

Parts of this group buy have been modelled on the success of the Bravia GB, and I hope to at least achieve the same level of success as has been seen there.

form everything i have read in the press, i think you may be right......the whole point of people at the launch thinking the 720p was 1080p may have been a deal breaker, just hope this GB can get the price down to similar % to the Sony GB...

yea grug really want to see one first but will this be to late for the gb? thought i would put name on list pending price and pq is that the go? having trouble getting on the list maybe i dont have enough posts? can you send me a link straight to the list if not i will try again i am a computer donkey. cheers. :blink:

yea grug really want to see one first but will this be to late for the gb? thought i would put name on list pending price and pq is that the go?

Hi Clarky,

It's fine, we're not looking to negotiate the GB any time soon, let alone close it! Rest assured, I'll find a way to make sure that everyone knows if the cut off date is approaching!

Putting your name on the list pending pricing and PQ will be fine. Just make sure to update your entry when you have a sec to check the sets out. :)

I put my name down on the recent Panasonic Plasma group buy, the one that almost got derailed when the prices were leaked, but I decided not to go through with it. The main reason was that I subsequently heard about the Pioneer Kuros. I'm certain that this had no effect on the people who did buy one, but I thought I'd make sure that you knew about this, GruG.

I am definitely interested in this panel, but I am NOT going to express an interest in this GB until the sets are out and I have a chance to see one AND to see where the street prices initially settle.

Hey Brumby

Looking at your signature, I see your a two channel audio enthusiast, I like your style. Dynaudio Confidence C1, very pricey bookshelves. Why did you match them with a ME amp?

Edited by chrisb03
I put my name down on the recent Panasonic Plasma group buy, the one that almost got derailed when the prices were leaked, but I decided not to go through with it. The main reason was that I subsequently heard about the Pioneer Kuros. I'm certain that this had no effect on the people who did buy one, but I thought I'd make sure that you knew about this, GruG.

I am definitely interested in this panel, but I am NOT going to express an interest in this GB until the sets are out and I have a chance to see one AND to see where the street prices initially settle.

Hi brumby,

Thanks for making me aware. Short of building a written confidentiality agreement into the sign up process, I am doing all I can to ensure that the confidentiality of the GB is maintained. Ultimately though, it is up to the members involved, and I am trying to remind all members at every opportunity that if they talk about prices, they will only end up hurting their own chances of getting a low price as well as the chances of dozens of other people who have managed to keep their mouths shut.

And waiting to see the TV set is highly advised. However, judging by all reports, it seems likely you won't be disappointed.

Hope to see your name on the list over the coming weeks brumby! If you're interested in the weekly communication I sent out today regarding to progress of the GB to date, then let me know.

Looks like the numbers (buyers) are going to be as good. Just hope you get them up to the levels of the Sony GB.. From memory it was around 70 when the details were finalised, but now the list is huge.

Edited by Melcrow

yeah im interested in both 50" models more so the LX50, dependant on price and time of GB. Ideally wait a bit and allow competition between new panasonic full hd plasmas and sony full hd LCDs to drive prices lower over christmas period then take advantage of the GB after xmas. I feel retailers will have mass stocks for christmas anyway and will be reluctant to offer good discounts with steady demand. Everyone gonna want a Kuro!