Sign in to follow this  
roachy

Halo 3 Has Shipped

Talk about willy-waving! Seventy inches and it still isn't a graphical powerhouse? :P

Wait. You did just state that the Halo games were "mediocre"? Omilord, that's rich. No, that's certifiable!

How could any sane, any seasoned, gamer possibly agree with any part of your "humble (or honest?)" opinion when they've already enacted the might and majesty of a Legendary campaign? True 'sorting the men from the boys' malarkey and no mistake.

Speaking of "rich", if I'm sounding a tad toffee-nosed in part, it's because I've just been handed the magniloquent (oo-er) news that sporting English games journal, the gentleman's read - Edge Magazine - has marked Halo 3 with their highest accolade, a brow-beating 10/10.

Yet more hype? Ya think?! The difference here is that Edge have a habit of being tough bastards, rather hard to please, and in its 14-year-history have only ever handed out their biggest, shiniest gong a sumtotal of five (now six) times. Previous recipients of an Edge Ten have been Super Mario 64, Gran Turismo, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Halo and Half-Life 2.

So, from a traditionally sane, and seasoned, gamer's POV, it's making deliciously big waves overseas. The score. Coupled with the fact that, historically speaking, Bungie's "mediocre" gaming franchise has made history again. Well, colour me chuffed.

More feedback if anyone's interested:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/edge/...asc&start=0

I'll ignore your usual personal attacks. However, as a suggestion, to call someone certifiable and hypocritical just because they don't happen to like a game that you regard highly is not conducive to informative debate. But I suspect informative debate was not on your mind. It never seems to be. However, as I've said in another context, this attitude seems more and more prevalent on the forums.

For the record, I did state quite clearly that it was in my own humble opinion.

News flash - Opinions differ.

I also was self-aware enough to admit that I was clearly on my own on this one. It's not the first time - I hated Tony Hawk too, and everyone seemed to love that franchise for a good long time.

However I do think the Halo series is mediocre - I couldn't even manage to play through Halo 1 or 2 because I was so bored by the repetitive level design, lack of mis-en scene and bland enemies. My admittedly initial look at Halo 3 has not changed my mind.

And yes, I have a 70 inch 1080p SXRD screen and it is most certainly not a graphical powerhouse. In contrast, The Darkness and Bioshock really blew me away. I'm not saying graphics are the 'be all and end all' of gaming, but it really was something I immediately noticed. Halo 2.5. But if YOU enjoy it, that's the main thing.

As for the Edge magazine, I constantly disagree with their reviews. They DO have a reputation for hard marking to be sure, but I often feel they TRY to be contrary for the sake of it. Halo and Gran Turismo, and to a lesser extent Half Life 2, in my mind hardly rate compared to Goldeneye 64, Mario Kart, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII or Grand Theft Auto 3 - all of which I would place in my top ten console games.

Exactly what 'history' has Halo 3 made? Sales records and innovative tie in marketing maybe? In terms of gameplay - nothing !

In summary, your 'argument' (actually emotive rant) seems to be that I am out of step with popular culture and critical review and so must be mad. Oh well, guess I must be mad then ...

Talk about willy-waving! Seventy inches and it still isn't a graphical powerhouse? :P

Wait. You did just state that the Halo games were "mediocre"? Omilord, that's rich. No, that's certifiable!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/edge/...asc&start=0

Oh, and final comment. 'Willy waving'? Do you realise that this is primarily a home theater forum, where people do talk about and compare their respective home theater products? Suggest you go into the other DTV sections and make such comment there. I'd be interested to see the responses.

I agree with verses. To be fair, I never played Halo 1. By the time I got an xbox I wasn't interested in a year and a half old game. So along came Halo 2 and I grabbed a copy. Was it pretty? yes. Was it fun? Somewhat. Was it innovative? Not remotely.

I decided that Halo 2 was riding the coat tails of Halo 1 and like a true sequel was more of the same. Then people started raving about it and I was like "are we playing the same game".

Now here's Halo 3 and like a lemming I bought it. Is it pretty? Yes. But I've just come off Bioshock which was a hell of a lot of fun. Halo 3 just feels like a generic shooter. Bioshock felt like an experience.

So yes, I think Halo is overrated. I think a good deal of it's popularity/sales come from hype (I'm proof of that) and fanboism (being a representation of xbox itself).

It's a fun game, but average compared to the likes of the original Halflife and Bioshock. With so many Shooters available nowadays it is rare to find one that is an "experience". Halo falls into the former.

Disclaimer: comments are purely my opinion and relate to single player campaign only.

I agree with verses. To be fair, I never played Halo 1. By the time I got an xbox I wasn't interested in a year and a half old game. So along came Halo 2 and I grabbed a copy. Was it pretty? yes. Was it fun? Somewhat. Was it innovative? Not remotely.

I decided that Halo 2 was riding the coat tails of Halo 1 and like a true sequel was more of the same. Then people started raving about it and I was like "are we playing the same game".

Now here's Halo 3 and like a lemming I bought it. Is it pretty? Yes. But I've just come off Bioshock which was a hell of a lot of fun. Halo 3 just feels like a generic shooter. Bioshock felt like an experience.

So yes, I think Halo is overrated. I think a good deal of it's popularity/sales come from hype (I'm proof of that) and fanboism (being a representation of xbox itself).

It's a fun game, but average compared to the likes of the original Halflife and Bioshock. With so many Shooters available nowadays it is rare to find one that is an "experience". Halo falls into the former.

Disclaimer: comments are purely my opinion and relate to single player campaign only.

Thanks very much momaw :) It's good to know that I am not alone in my insanity :wacko:

Some people here seem to be complaining that the Halo 3 is similar to other titles. Well all FPS are going to have something in common. I absolutely love FPS's its easily my favourite genre, I own 8 titles alone that are FPS's. If you don't like the genre your probably not going to like Halo 3. To those that like the genre Halo 3 is fast paced, futuristic title which competes against similar titles like Quake 4 and GOW and I personally think it blows them out of the water.

Some people here seem to be complaining that the Halo 3 is similar to other titles. Well all FPS are going to have something in common. I absolutely love FPS's its easily my favourite genre, I own 8 titles alone that are FPS's. If you don't like the genre your probably not going to like Halo 3. To those that like the genre Halo 3 is fast paced, futuristic title which competes against similar titles like Quake 4 and GOW and I personally think it blows them out of the water.

Oh I love FPS. I just find Halo to be another in the crowd. Some stand out. It does not. I actually found Lost Planet to be more innovative (battling the enemy while battling against freezing to death).

Conversly to Mo, I bought Lost Planet and havnt finsihed it. The Health ticker shat me to tears - I like to take my time. I loved GRAW 1 and 2, COD 2 was sensational, COD 3 not so muhc, but looking forward to #4. The 360 is my first console, so I havnt touched Halo 1 or 2, and playing #3 the storyline is a bit foreign. I havnt finished it yet, but it is very enjoyable. I'm loving the wide open spaces and the many enemies at a single time. But there doesnt seem to be a heap of new things, or ideas, present. I think i missed the Halo boat and whilst I can appreciate a solid game, I'd only put it in my top 5 (out of 15 games bought so far).

Graphically and gameplay wise, I can understand Halo 3 getting a high reviewer score, maybe even moreso if I had played 1 and 2, but I enjoyed GRAW 1 and 2 and COD 2 more.

Bring on the Orange Box, COD4, BF:BC, and PG4... I havnt even bought Biochock yet either (although I played the demo).

However I do think the Halo series is mediocre - I couldn't even manage to play through Halo 1 or 2 because I was so bored by the repetitive level design, lack of mis-en scene and bland enemies.

Opinions differ, it's a fact. But the fact of the matter is your education has been sadly neglected. Having not gone the distance, having not enacted the "might and majesty" of Bungie's finest hours, you're really not in a position to judge (ie, whether or not the series is mediocre). It's easy to be dismissive when you've no emotional investment. No problem, I get that. ;)

Exactly what 'history' has Halo 3 made? Sales records and innovative tie in marketing maybe? In terms of gameplay - nothing !

In summary, your 'argument' (actually emotive rant) seems to be that I am out of step with popular culture and critical review and so must be mad.

No, the gist of my 'emotive rant' was that Halo 3 had made 'history' in the pages of Edge Magazine. As simple as that. Try reading between the lines before letting 'madness' get the better of you.

Oh, and final comment. 'Willy waving'? Do you realise that this is primarily a home theater forum, where people do talk about and compare their respective home theater products? Suggest you go into the other DTV sections and make such comment there. I'd be interested to see the responses.

Forget the "willy"... this aside was made with tongue firmly in cheek (hence the emoticon). You really do seem to be getting the wrong end of my "schtick". ;)

Sorry X-phile I'm going to have to side with Versus on this even though I rather like the Halo games. I think it's rather ludicrous to suggest a person needs to put themselves through an entire game they're not enjoying to be able to form or express a negative opinion. For all it's attributes Halo doesn't vary a great deal from level to level (or even version to version) so if you've played for a couple of hours and don't enjoy that then there's precious little beyond that to change a person's mind. That's not a criticism of the game - like I said, I'm a fan - but the fact is no game is going to please all the people all the time.

The fact that one reviewer (no matter how revered the publisher) scores the game highly means nothing more than that particular reviewer enjoyed it. If a reviewer is a big fan of Pokemon I'd expect a high score for a Pokemon game but that's no indication that I'd enjoy it.

Let's just say then that the "schtick" doesn't translate real well.

I agree that halo doesnt really bring much to the table in terms of FPS features. However it was one of the first games to have vehicles, one of the first games to have a 'throw grenade' button rather than having them as a selectable weapon, Halo 2 was the first game to use regenerating health (which is seen in gears of war, the call of duty games, crackdown, red steel, and many other FPS games) and the multiplayer has some really new and refreshing multiplayer modes.

For instance, youve got VIP, Oddball, Bomb assault, Infection, king of the hill, race/flag rally and territories. All of these modes have 4-6 different variations of each mode. With halo 3, bungie have utilised xbox live to allow you to download (for free) custom made game modes other players have created, and custom map layouts people have made in FORGE mode, which is the real big innovation in halo 3. Not to mention the theatre mode that lets you create clips and upload them to the bungie website to share with your friends, and the ability to take screen shots. Deployable equipment is a nice feature too, giving you radar jammers, bubble shields, shield regenerators, and shield drainers.

Halo has never been about twitch shooting and reaction time gaming like many PFS games are. it focuses more on weapon placement, weapon selection, weapon balance and tactics. rather than giving you a choice of 10 different guns that all kill someone within 2 bullets, it makes you think 'what gun do i need to take that guy out? what type of grenade is best for destroying that vehicle? what is the best way to get the flag and get back to base?' Sure that kind of thing has been done before, but I think halo does it exceptionally well.

While it may not break any new ground in terms of FPS SP game play, it brings a lot of features to the table that will more than likely become the standard in the genre in the future. the replay/theatre feature itself is amazing, and ive found myself going back to games where i get my arse kicked and seeing what i did wrong and what could be done better. 4 player co-op is great fun no matter which way you slice it, and 6vs6 big team battles (soon to be 8vs8 once the servers catch up with the load) is the most fun ive had on a console since smash brothers on N64.

Its just not a game for everyone, and to be realistic, no game truly is. I dont see what the big deal is, if you bought in to the marketing and picked the game up without reading reviews or trying it out at a mates place then you dont really have anyone to blame but yourself for buying it. no one forced you to.

Halo doesn't vary a great deal from level to level (or even version to version) so if you've played for a couple of hours and don't enjoy that then there's precious little beyond that to change a person's mind. That's not a criticism of the game - like I said, I'm a fan - but the fact is no game is going to please all the people all the time.

yep I have generally always been a halo fan - but have to say I almost fell asleep playing H3, and it probably has a lot to do with my own expectations, which I tried to keep low after H2.

IMO H3 was "okay", I played on heroic, and I found that rather than there being great levels to investigate or explore (there was a LOT of running from one end of the same map to the other after completing an objective, altho I guess Bioshock was guilty of this as well), about the only reason it took ~8 hours to finish was the sheer number of enemies to kill.

So for me (meaning "my opinion" just so that no misunderstanding :), H3 was mostly pretty zzZZzz, except perhaps for near the end where things get a bit tense..

but I felt it really lacked emotion - as in, I almost didnt care what happend to earth etc.. whereas Bioshock, I was fully emotionally gripped, that game is still in my head weeks after finishing it! I wish I had have played H3 before Bioshock, as I found myself continually saying to myself "Bioshock so much more gripping/engaging/fun". Thats just me tho!

cheers :)

Edited by pandemik

I was never "into" Halo (as in the story and single player campaign), but I really bought this game for its extensive online gaming. This will be top of the Live Charts for years to come.

I was never "into" Halo (as in the story and single player campaign), but I really bought this game for its extensive online gaming. This will be top of the Live Charts for years to come.

yep probably very true - just wish they had of put more effort into the campaign/story, thats all :)

I actrually take my comments back about Halo 3 graphics beeing pretty poor.

Finally connected it to my new Sony 46" 1080p lcd tv last night and with the xbox set to 1080p, Halo 3 looked freakin awesome. Granted not as good as GOW, but the graphics are a huge step up from previous games, everything looks to clean, crisp and detailed. Starting to slowly get in to the game, so for $79, I'm pretty happy.

Just have to find the time to play it online now :)

Glad you're enjoying it more now you've got a solid panel to work with.

I had a go of H3 last night at a mates place and initial impressions are mostly good. The campaign wasn't as fun as Halo's (not including The Library ofcourse!), but better than Halo 2's. I'm very glad that the assault rifle is back, that, along with the handgun, are the weapons I missed when I used to play Halo 2 on xbl.

Graphics wise, I think describing it as "Halo 2.75" would be appropriate. It's almost there, but not quite. The lighting is brilliant, artistic direction is good, and the environments fit in nicely as well. The two things that I found very noticeable are:

1. The aliasing on objects in the distance, particularly forerunner structures, is terrible. Most forerunner structures have an incredibly angular design, and all those sharp edges and the dull colouring of the buildings in contrast to the environment really makes it easy to spot the aliasing. This surprised me as one of the benefits of the Xbox 360s ATI GPU is that it is supposed to do on the fly, zero cost, anti-aliasing on all data that it renders. Either this is not the case, or Bungie had to disable it for some reason.

2. Human faces: I'm now convinced that the artists at Bungie cannot model a decent looking Human face. Seargent Johnson has changed colour, and looks drunk in all his cut scenes (ie: he doesn't command the same respect he did in Halo), the old commander guy (I've forgotten his name) looks like he got Plastic Surgery from the same surgeon who did Michael Jackson, and Miranda Keyes is just like how she was in halo 2...ugly. This is more entertaining than it is a problem, but seriously, Bungie, get some facial design training for a few of your 3D modellers. It's just lucky that we never get to see the Chief's face, imagine what they'd do to him!

Besides those two issues, I think the graphics are good. What matters the most to me in a game is consistency. The "bling" factor is nice, but if it can't be applied equally to all game elements, it should be left out. Halo 2 suffered from this due to Bungie pushing the original xboxs hardware a bit too far (eg: texture pop), and that "ruined" the graphics in my eyes. Now technically, Halo2 has "better" graphics than Halo, but I still prefer the graphics in Halo. Why? Because everything is consistent. When I play halo, I don't really pick up on the dated graphics because it all fits together nicely as a virtual world. It is however, quite hard not to notice the texture pop that goes on in Halo 2, which I find leads me to subconsciously look for all the games other graphical flaws as I play.

I think it's rather ludicrous to suggest a person needs to put themselves through an entire game they're not enjoying to be able to form or express a negative opinion. For all it's attributes Halo doesn't vary a great deal from level to level (or even version to version) so if you've played for a couple of hours and don't enjoy that then there's precious little beyond that to change a person's mind.

No surprises there, but as a Halo fan, as a "hardcore" gamer, I took exception to Versus' statement that the series was mediocre. Mediocre implies average or low quality, and again, the fact of the matter is that Halo has consistently rated well across the board/generations. Mediocre is what you'd call Killzone, which tried to ape Bungie's template in every way... except where it really mattered, on the battlefield.

Apologies in general to people who can't/won't experience the masterstroke that is Halo's Legendary mode. I just found it surprising that Versus, who also has claimed to be a "hardcore" gamer, apparently found so much to fault with the game/s. Perhaps he really is mad? :P

Let's just say then that the "schtick" doesn't translate real well.

Fine. Except the "schtick" wasn't being applied to Versus' critique (of Halo 3) but rather being pointed at his 70-inch plasma. There's a sliver of humour there, but I never claimed to be a stand-up (er, sit-down?) contributor.

What matters the most to me in a game is consistency. The "bling" factor is nice, but if it can't be applied equally to all game elements, it should be left out. Halo 2 suffered from this due to Bungie pushing the original xboxs hardware a bit too far (eg: texture pop), and that "ruined" the graphics in my eyes. Now technically, Halo 2 has "better" graphics than Halo, but I still prefer the graphics in Halo. Why? Because everything is consistent. When I play halo, I don't really pick up on the dated graphics because it all fits together nicely as a virtual world. It is however, quite hard not to notice the texture pop that goes on in Halo 2, which I find leads me to subconsciously look for all the games other graphical flaws as I play.

Some excellent points, inm8! :)

And prior to learning that Edge Magazine had awarded Halo 3 a 10 (where previously they'd scored Halo with 10 and Halo 2 a 9), I too felt twinges of 'regret' that perhaps Bungie hadn't delivered. Like you, I'm always looking for flaws, testing the high (and low) watermarks of a game - especially the ones where'd you'd expect perfection.

Halo 1 brought a truly rounded (pardon the pun) gameworld to the fore, bristling with promise and all manner of technical 'bling' (sunlight through trees, anyone?). I've also spent more than enough downtime on beachheads, marvelling at the watermaps which lapped the shore, and even got to wade out a good distance... poking my head under the water to see token marine life! Not so in Halo 3. :(

You're now restricted to the shoreline (or thereabouts), although I have noticed that sometimes Master Chief can sink like a stone... and trawl the waterbed like some displaced Big Daddy.

Speaking of anti-aliasing, or the lack thereof, until I'm apprised of [Edge's] exhaustive report - because Edge are the go-to folk for minutiae - I'm guessing it was a design decision... to extract more performance from the outdoorsy levels. In fact, while running through a couple of the multiplayer maps myself (sniff, no Live for me), and meticulously examining the replay, I truly was astounded by the LOD in each and every crevice of the world. Now this is where the technical oomph is apparent - this truly is next-gen rendering. ;)

Thanks for the rave, inm8. More love for Halo 3 can never be a bad thing.

And prior to learning that Edge Magazine had awarded Halo 3 a 10 (where previously they'd scored Halo with 10 and Halo 2 a 9), I too felt twinges of 'regret' that perhaps Bungie hadn't delivered. Like you, I'm always looking for flaws, testing the high (and low) watermarks of a game - especially the ones where'd you'd expect perfection.

More love for Halo 3 can never be a bad thing.

Can't seem to let it go, eh? Continually baiting me won't change the fact that I still think it's mediocre.

Still, it's interesting to hear that Killzone would also have been a historic game in your eyes had Edge given it a 10. Frankly, I find it amazing that your view of a game is predicated on what a magazine thinks of it. But hey, a hardcore gamer doesn't need to think for themselves, that's for the press to do.

Though I do enjoy your clowning, all in all I'm finding this Halo ROX, U NEWB U SUX mentality a little tiresome. I really think you'd be more at home on the Gamefaqs forums. Though, I know better than to even suggest it, since trying to be helpful with you only ever seems to result in a torrent of invective.

PS: It's not a 70 inch plasma. But once again, it seems you're not actually interested in home theater but rather trolling, or rather - your "schtick".

PPS: While I'm flattered by your personal attention, try and make the next bit of "schtick" - a little more original than HALO ROX, YOU SUX. It's going to be difficult to top the madness and willy waving but I'm sure you'll find a way.

Still, it's interesting to hear that Killzone would also have been a historic game in your eyes had Edge given it a 10. Frankly, I find it amazing that your view of a game is predicated on what a magazine thinks of it.

Er, no. Again, you've failed to read between the lines. I could care less about what Edge (or anyone else) had to say about Killzone because it's a sodding Sony game. My view of a game (including Blue Dragon, which I've since returned to and which Edge stupefyingly marked down despite its 'hardcore' appeal to fans) has always been predicated on discerning taste.

But hey, a hardcore gamer doesn't need to think for themselves, that's for the press to do.

No, the press is for mainstream maggots. Edge is specialist media. Surely a 'hardcore' gamer would know the difference.

I really think you'd be more at home on the Gamefaqs forums. Though, I know better than to even suggest it, since trying to be helpful with you only ever seems to result in a torrent of invective.

Speaking of maggots, your faux attempt to prove "helpful" (by referring me to that cesspool of intolerance) has shown that you really can't curb this invective yourself. Do unto others, yes?

PS: It's not a 70 inch plasma. But once again, it seems you're not actually interested in home theater but rather trolling, or rather - your "schtick".

Ah, nothing like running with "schtick", is there? FYI, I'm posting in the games folder. If I wanted to hang out with the big boys (of couch-potato land), I wouldn't be spending my nights actually playing games - I'd be whinging and whining about mediocre franchises and getting a rise (all 70 inches of it) out of etards. Are we done yet?

Er, no. Again, you've failed to read between the lines.

Perhaps that's the core of the problem. There's enough room on the lines to not expect people to have to interpret the bit between them.

Er, no. Again, you've failed to read between the lines. I could care less about what Edge (or anyone else) had to say about Killzone because it's a sodding Sony game. My view of a game (including Blue Dragon, which I've since returned to and which Edge stupefyingly marked down despite its 'hardcore' appeal to fans) has always been predicated on discerning taste.

No, the press is for mainstream maggots. Edge is specialist media. Surely a 'hardcore' gamer would know the difference.

Speaking of maggots, your faux attempt to prove "helpful" (by referring me to that cesspool of intolerance) has shown that you really can't curb this invective yourself. Do unto others, yes?

Ah, nothing like running with "schtick", is there? FYI, I'm posting in the games folder. If I wanted to hang out with the big boys (of couch-potato land), I wouldn't be spending my nights actually playing games - I'd be whinging and whining about mediocre franchises and getting a rise (all 70 inches of it) out of etards. Are we done yet?

I'd love to feel that we were, but while you still post on the forum I rather doubt we're done. You just cant help yourself.

But there's not much to answer here without getting down in the muck with you. I'll leave it to others to say whether you've reverted to Gamefaq forum type - 'sodding Sony', 'maggot' and 'etards'.

I bought halo 3 last thursday and ended up taking it back..

Not really into the whole console controls on FPS games (much prefer my mouse/keyboard controls) but I thought I would test out the game.

I found the single player campaign to be very boring and brought nothing new to the table. I guess I expected alot more with all the hype that Halo gets.