Lcd Vs Plasmas

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey have you managed to buy yet?

You had alot more knowledge than I did before you came to this forum...Im still readinf all the info here and still cant decide what to buy..

Yeah I ended up blowing out the budget a little and getting a Samsung 42" plasma. Very happy with it, great picture.

Good luck in your decision.

There is a lot more to it then black levels and room lighting.

Haven’t you ever noticed the clay face and cartoon colours on all LCD’s, not to mention the much more noticeable compression artefacts and noise?

LCD impress with their brightness, exaggerated colour, contrast and overall picture “punch” in a showroom environment, but when you really look, you see how artificial and “digital” they look.

The average punter would not know an accurate picture if they saw one and probably would not like it if they did. Just look at the way most people have their TV’s set up, its enough to make me cringe. No wonder LCD’s are so popular.

Could not agree more!

There is a lot more to it then black levels and room lighting.

Haven’t you ever noticed the clay face and cartoon colours on all LCD’s, not to mention the much more noticeable compression artefacts and noise?

LCD impress with their brightness, exaggerated colour, contrast and overall picture “punch” in a showroom environment, but when you really look, you see how artificial and “digital” they look.

The average punter would not know an accurate picture if they saw one and probably would not like it if they did. Just look at the way most people have their TV’s set up, its enough to make me cringe. No wonder LCD’s are so popular.

Could not agree more!

A friend of mine just bought an lcd sharp tv and was moaning about how it looked better in the shop. Well, no surprises there. However, what really made me cringe was finding out, during our phone call, that they were actually watching an analogue signal!! Come on, seriously!! Let's buy a new TV with a high definition tuner and then watch it on analogue!!! Didn't know they had to actually scan for digital channels! And, of course they had plugged an antennae into the analogue input terminal but not one into the dtv antenna input terminal !!! Unbelievable!!

I can beat that.

About 9 months ago, my father bought a Phillips 32" LCD TV. Barely being able to use the remote control, he decided to pay someone (I think it was about $60) to connect up his foxtel box, set top box and DVD player.

This so called 'professional' connected foxtel and the set-top box with composite cables and then had the TV running through the internal analogue tuner instead of the set-top box!!!

The PQ looks horrible, I've told him on multiple occasions that it could look so much better if everything was connected properly. But he says he's happy with the picture and doesnt want anything fiddled with.

Such a shame, its a nice set but looks worse than a 15 year old Sanyo CRT with rabbit ears for an aerial!

Edited by brett174

About 9 months ago, my father bought a Phillips 32" LCD TV. Barely being able to use the remote control, he decided to pay someone (I think it was about $60) to connect up his foxtel box, set top box and DVD player.

This so called 'professional' connected foxtel and the set-top box with composite cables and then had the TV running through the internal analogue tuner instead of the set-top box!!!

The PQ looks horrible, I've told him on multiple occasions that it could look so much better if everything was connected properly. But he says he's happy with the picture and doesnt want anything fiddled with.

I've got two words for you..........................

Nursing home :P

I'd be very tempted to lure him away somehow and, armed with a proper set of cables, get in there and fix it yourself.

As for the professional installers, I had a Sparkie wire 4 TV antenna outlets along with the rest of the wiring in a new house. Not a smart move in retrospect. After a year or three of bewildering antenna and interference problems, and despite being in a good reception area, I discovered each wall socket had a bit of loose coax braid shorting across the socket terminals. That sort of explained why cheap rabbit ears were fine and even a bit of loose coax connected to the TVs was OK until the cat disturbed it. By then, however, I'd had two professionals have a go at the problem and their legacy was two rooftop antennae, an antenna amp with accompanying in-ceiling 240v outlet and much expense. Neither of them noticed the shorting braid problem. At least it works now with a spare antenna in case one falls over :unsure:

Back on topic - I am more than happy with my 50" Panasonic and even more so after helping a neighbour set up their new 32"(?) LG LCD TV on Sunday evening. They'd used an old caravan antenna poked into the side of the entertainment cabinet and only managed a few digital channels. Both ABC and SBS were missing, but if I'd not popped in, wobbled the antenna and retuned it they'd have happily watched the missing channels on analogue, not to mention missing ABC2, etc entirely. I suggested at least a $5 set of rabbit ears from a 'cheap/crap' shop in the interim They'd also connected their DVD player to the new screen avoiding the best options. I'm afraid I can't suggest a professional installer for them, however.

The hairdresser of the Mrs. left the shop and set up business at home, so the Mrs now goes there. I had to drop her over there last week and when I went back to pick her up I was invited into the lounge room and there in all its glory was a LG 42 inch LCD with quite an expensive looking set of HT speakers.

I was about to comment "that's actually a slightly bigger version of our own LG LCD, looks nice doesn't it?" when Ms. hairdresser pipes up:

"Yes that's our new Plasma"

I decided to let sleeping dogs lie. B)B)