Connecting Austar To A Tv And A Dvd Recorder

Hi

I am sure other people have tried this set up but I cannot seem to find any answers in the topics.

What I want to do is connect Austar to a TV and to a DVD recorder using Svideo which I understand is the best connection.

At present I have Austar connected via a DVD recorder and then to the TV. The problem is this ties up the DVD recorder so I can either watch or record Austar or record FTA but not both.

Can I connect Austar to a TV and to a DVD recorder using Svideo. Looking for answers.

Thanks

Ian

What I want to do is connect Austar to a TV and to a DVD recorder using Svideo which I understand is the best connection.

Can I connect Austar to a TV and to a DVD recorder using Svideo. Looking for answers.

Yes u can

option 1 is a simple s-video splitter cable, it just gives two outputs from the single plug. U may get banding or interference type distortion due to impedence mismatching, then again you may not, id depends on your equipment. My austar provider box (looks like an atlas only bigger) does not like feeding both a tv and a dvd/hd recorder this way, I get banding distortion on the dvd/hd recorder

option 2 is a distribution amplifier. There are cheaper ones (and much more expensive ones!) but this one works fine:

Jaycar Audio Video Switcher CAT. NO. AC1686

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AC1686

Thanks

I was looking at an Svideo splitter but was having trouble sourcing one in Australia.

I will investigate the distribution amplifier, we have a local Jaycar outlet. But another box and another remote.

Equipment I forget to mention Atlas box, Panasonic DMR-EX75 and a Sony KDL-40V2000

cheers

Ian

The other option is if you have a home theatre receiver that has an extra monitor output , some allow sending s-video to more than one display

I have a similiar problem, I can get Austar to go through my DVDR and then 2 my TV but the picture comes out lookin terrible, fuzzy.

help.

Need more info how is Austar connected to the DVDR and then how DVDR to the TV

Do DVDR Austar recordings have the same problem.

Are FTA progs OK through the DVDR and recorded on the DVDR

cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Need more info how is Austar connected to the DVDR and then how DVDR to the TV

Do DVDR Austar recordings have the same problem.

Are FTA progs OK through the DVDR and recorded on the DVDR

cheers

Ian

I don't really kno the terminology mate but the best way i can explain it is to draw a picture.

Picture Here....

Edited by Maitlandtrots

Hi Mait,

You could perhaps post in an area that doesn't require people to sign up to view. :)

As a general bit of advise you need to get your inputs and outputs of each device sorted. After that its not all that difficult. Pick the best type of cable between two machines that they have in common and connect. Then ensure each machine is set to the correct AV plug (AV1, AV2, etc.) and that in the menu the output/input is set to the type you need.

So first step is just draw each box and list its possible inputs and outputs in each. Then draw some lines with arrows between them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Anyone?

Hi Mait,

Ok, we should be able to help but probably need to get some answers first.

1) You've shown a picture of your TV inputs/outputs but your model has a dozen other options? I have a list of these so we can use those too?

2) You've basically got your setup in the simplest and lowest picture quality (PQ) option possible. That is you've conencted everything via composite cables (Red/White/Yellow) and you've got an aerial cable going between each machine (Wall => Austar => DVDR => TV)

3) Your TV has a built in Digital Tuner? How is the reception on that?

4) What is your usual TV watching/recording pattern? Do you what lots of Digital FTA (Free to Air) TV or is it mostly Austar? Do you record a lot of either source? Can you / do you record FTA TV?

5) Do you record or watch analogue TV at all?

If you can give some answers to those we should be able to provide a better connection setup. You will need to buy a couple of extra items which I'll list nxt.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi Mait,

Ok, we should be able to help but probably need to get some answers first.

1) You've shown a picture of your TV inputs/outputs but your model has a dozen other options? I have a list of these so we can use those too?

2) You've basically got your setup in the simplest and lowest picture quality (PQ) option possible. That is you've conencted everything via composite cables (Red/White/Yellow) and you've got an aerial cable going between each machine (Wall => Austar => DVDR => TV)

3) Your TV has a built in Digital Tuner? How is the reception on that?

4) What is your usual TV watching/recording pattern? Do you what lots of Digital FTA (Free to Air) TV or is it mostly Austar? Do you record a lot of either source? Can you / do you record FTA TV?

5) Do you record or watch analogue TV at all?

If you can give some answers to those we should be able to provide a better connection setup. You will need to buy a couple of extra items which I'll list nxt.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

1) This appears to be structured as a statement rather than a question.

2) I understand.

3) No, it doesn't, It's an old (6 year old) CRT screen.

4) I would like to record each/way (to use a horse racing expression), I would like to record probably 60/40, 60 free to air (analog), 40 to austar. but as for the split of tv watching on this monitor is is 99% AUSTAR, free to air only is watched it every blue moon.

The TV is basically an AUSTAR TV and the other TV's in the house are for FTA.

5) I would like to record analog on this TV, THe HOUSEHOLD DOES OWN A FTA DIGITAL SET TOP BOX, ALTHOUGH IT IS A PATH I WOULD LIKE TO PURSUE AFTER CHRISTMAS IN A HIGH DEF WAY

Cheers you've been very helpful already mate.

Ah my mistake - I was looking at ianh's spec posted above. Ok that simplifies things somwhat. Some follow on questions and a suggested setup. At the moment your pushing analogue through 2 boxes before it reaches the TV. I would suggest:

1) Get a Kingray 4 way powered booster/splitter from Dick Smith with a 14 day money back guarantee ($80). Then connect the aerial to this box and have one RF lead going to each RF input of the DVDR/Austar/TV - this should ensure each box gets an equal and high quality analogue feed.

2) Do you have two composite AV inputs on the TV? It looks like only 1 input which limits your options (& PQ) quite a bit. I would look to replace the Yellow composite cable between the Austar box and the DVDR with a SVideo cable. (So SVHS out on the Austar and SVHS in on the DVDR). As the final cable in your chain is composite (worse than Svideo) this may not make a huge amount of difference but it may well do a bit. ($10 for a SVHS cable)

3) If you're worried about PQ try connecting ONLY the device straight to the TV and see if the PQ improves. This should give you an idea of what the benefit of the above suggestions could be. ie. plug the aerial straight into the TV and see what the RF PQ is like. Then plug the composite outputs from the austar straight into the TV and see what its PQ looks like.

4) Basically, the composite leads you are limited to is probably what's limiting your eventual on screen PQ (as is passing analogue through each box). For a TV used mostly for Austar watching getting a HD screen is pretty much a waste of money. I'd be looking to get a good sized 768 line panel 32"-42" (smaller screens are 'kinder' on lower quality signals (like Austar)) which will have better connection options.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Yes I have 2. So a Splitter and a SVideo cable is the go?
Austar/Foxtel is pretty poor picture quality (less than FTA digital TV). Composite cables are the lowest possible PQ connection type. You're using both. You've complained about 'fuzzy' PQ but it might be that's just the limit of your setup. As mentioned in No 3 above. Just plug each box straight into your TV and have a look at the PQ. If you see an improvement then a splitter/svideo cable might be beneficial. If not then you'll have to wait until you upgrade the TV.

Regards

Peter Gillespie