Sign in to follow this  
LINO28

Connecting Austar

I have a Hitachi 8800, Yamaha 7.1 receiver, Toshiba C26 STB and DVD player and have just got Austar.

What is the best way of connecting this up , producing the best sound and visual quiality, given that i have the STB and TV connected HDMI, The STB and DVD connected to the receiver via Optical (amp isnt HDMI)

ALSO looking at a Universal Remote to control all...any suggestions (not looking at anything too expensive)

Thanks

Tye

In order of best to worst... Component (if the Austar box has it).... S-Video..... Composite

Remote... what's your definition of not too expensive?

I have a Hitachi 8800, Yamaha 7.1 receiver, Toshiba C26 STB and DVD player and have just got Austar.

What is the best way of connecting this up , producing the best sound and visual quiality, given that i have the STB and TV connected HDMI, The STB and DVD connected to the receiver via Optical (amp isnt HDMI)

ALSO looking at a Universal Remote to control all...any suggestions (not looking at anything too expensive)

Thanks

Tye

You get a (pretty woeful) S-Video connection or plain old composite video. That's it. There are no component connectors on an Austar box. Audio is straight analog stereo connectors - there is no optical or any other kind of digital connector on the back of an austar box. Just use the standard video connector, play with the s-video one if you have to but I think you'll struggle to notice any difference on your screen. It'll still be fuzzy. Use the blue button on the remote to get the aspect ratio right.

Universal remotes? Dick Smith had the Logitech Harmony 525 for $99 the other day, good value. It isn't the flashest thing running but it will control the austar box with no problems.

dave.

Hi

Similar sort of query. I have Sony Bravia 40v2000, Panasonic DVD recorder DMREX75 and an Atlas Austar box. Using Svideo to the DVD recorder and then HDMI to the TV.

What I want to know is there an Australian supplier of an Svideo splitter or adaptor so I can send Svideo to both the DVD recorder and the TV. This will allow me to record FTA on the DVD recorder and watch Austar as well.

I can source these in the US

http://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?Pag...mp;ProdID=13834

but have not so far found any in Oz.

Anyone know of an Australian Supplier

Thanks

Ian

Edited by ianh

Austar's latest box has digital audio output.

How do i get this box instead? the one that got installed yesterday doesnt have it.

Is there a way to change the screen brightness via the AUSTAR box? My FTA via STB looks great, but the AUSTAR box is making it look all dull.

I cant belive the shite quality of AUSTAR versus FTA

How do i get this box instead? the one that got installed yesterday doesnt have it.

You could try asking, but don't expect a positive result. You want a flinders box.

My FTA via STB looks great, but the AUSTAR box is making it look all dull.

That can happen if the video output of the box is split with a 1RCA - 2RCA cable to feed TV and VCR/PVR/HDR owing to impedance mismatches.

That can happen if the video output of the box is split with a 1RCA - 2RCA cable to feed TV and VCR/PVR/HDR owing to impedance mismatches.

No only 1 yellow going straight to TV.

By dull, do you mean the brightness of the picture, or just the overall picture quality is poor, compared to FTA digital?

If it's the latter, how is your FTA digital connected to your screen?

FTA digital (even SD) is far superior PQ than current Austar PQ.

FTA digital (even SD) is far superior PQ than current Austar PQ.

mtv's right.

So, alternatively, are you talking about picture sharpness (contrast) as compared with brightness?

I demonstrate this difference when installing customers high end displays so I don't get a call later on after they have been watching it for a while and decide Austar is crap picture quality, and want to know why.

eg check the TCM channel, if you have it. That has got to be the crappiest movie quality of the lot. And I'm on selectv, and can't see any difference between that and Austar.

Edited by M'bozo

FTA is connected via HDMI through C26 HD STB

Yeah both sharpness and brightness.

Brightness seems to be the biggest issue though.

I used to have two austar atlas boxes (until they both died from pwrsup failure) and one was definately low on brightness when compared to the other, you could see it in A-B comparisons. Perhaps you have a dud box like I did! Tell them its crook and demand a flinders

On the other hand you could look at a third party box that has HDMI as in keepleft's post or look at a box like a topfield that has component out on the scart AND digital audio (optical) out. The picture from mt toppy using component looks much nicer on my pana plasma than the crapstar box's s-vid but its still only SD, on some channels lower than SD!

Replaces the box.

my local austar tech reckons there is no reason he has been given (yet) why u cant have both the normal austar box and a mystar on a multi room account, but he did have a whinge saying if I want both he has to install a multiswitch and extra cabling to the mystar outlet and he gets very little profit from the install of the multiswitch and cabling, in fact he said he may just break even. and then there is going to be the issue of if your terrestrial setup is going to cause woes and needs attention

You can have multiple boxes, in any combination. Mystar in one room, normal boxes in 2 other rooms. Only requires a 4 way multi-switch and a dual LNB.

2 Mystars and a single box requires a 8 way multi-switch and Dual LNB.

Just a Mystar only requires the DLNB and no MS4.

No one knows what Austar will be paying techs yet? But your right, probably wont be much. They dont make anything on the MS4, only Hills makes money on the MS4 and MS8.

obviously the Mystar requires 2 cables to run.

Yes, FTA component only as good as the antenna you have installed. If you have crap antenna, no digital FTA. BUT, Austar tech will be able to install new one for you, at an additional cost to you of course, and only if you want it.

my local austar tech reckons there is no reason he has been given (yet) why u cant have both the normal austar box and a mystar on a multi room account, but he did have a whinge saying if I want both he has to install a multiswitch and extra cabling to the mystar outlet and he gets very little profit from the install of the multiswitch and cabling, in fact he said he may just break even. and then there is going to be the issue of if your terrestrial setup is going to cause woes and needs attention

You can have multiple boxes, in any combination. Mystar in one room, normal boxes in 2 other rooms. Only requires a 4 way multi-switch and a dual LNB.

2 Mystars and a single box requires a 8 way multi-switch and Dual LNB.

Just a Mystar only requires the DLNB and no MS4.

No one knows what Austar will be paying techs yet? But your right, probably wont be much. They dont make anything on the MS4, only Hills makes money on the MS4 and MS8.

obviously the Mystar requires 2 cables to run.

Yes, FTA component only as good as the antenna you have installed. If you have crap antenna, no digital FTA. BUT, Austar tech will be able to install new one for you, at an additional cost to you of course, and only if you want it.

i have two questions about seting up austar im getting it installed soon

1. what video outputs does the decoder have ie a\v, s-video, rgb (pin type), componet dvi etc as my tv only have one of each

2. can austar be tuned into a pvr

Austar decoders have AV Composite, and SVIDEO outputs.

As for the PVR, some PVR's do noy have AV inputs for some reason, otherwise if they have AV inputs, then yes, or RF. Austar decoders are generally set to channel 69 on RF.

i have two questions about seting up austar im getting it installed soon

1. what video outputs does the decoder have ie a\v, s-video, rgb (pin type), componet dvi etc as my tv only have one of each

2. can austar be tuned into a pvr