Sign in to follow this  
peedon

How Long Can Noynnnnnnnnnnnne Stick Around...

On the other hand, I still maintain (despite a lot of debate on this point on a couple of other threads in the past) that the basic problem is the ridiculous situation that a country with only 20 million with declining FTA audience and increasing Foxtel takeup has three and a half (including sbs) commercial stations. No doubt forum members 'in the know' such as Matturn will have a barrage of market statistics to refute this, but IMHO the future situation is only going to get worse, with Nine leading the way. Time will tell.

The introduction of a third national broadcasting licence would be great for Australian television, as it would give us an alternative to the tripe that is shown on the commercial FTA networks. Television in Australia has been "dumbed down" by the "businesspersons" -- now there's a political correct term! -- who run the Seven Network, Channel Nine Network and Network Ten. Commercial FTA networks are worried about revenue and ratings -- they don't care about the effect that their content has on the population and the television industry.

The authorities should alter the anti-siphoning list so that the commercial FTA networks are unable to hoard all of the prestigious sporting events that are included on it. The ABC and SBS would offer great coverage of many sporting events that are currently tied up with Seven, Nine and Ten. In my opinion, at least ONE match from each round of the NRL, AFL, Super 14, NBL and A-League competitions should be reserved for the ABC and/or SBS.

There's nothing worse than watching a "delayed' sporting telecast on the commercial FTA networks, as they are innundated with advertisements that make it hard to enjoy the sporting content.

The Ashes event that is held on English soil should be broadcasted on the ABC.

guys, you really, I mean REALLY need to be getting BBC and Channel 4 in some way.. the ONLY decent channels in the whole world - forget ANYTHING on US TV and Australian TV.. soon it will all be available over the net so local FTA stations just aint going to be around

UKTV is the BBC's "Australian channel". It's about the only "drama channel" that I bother to watch on Foxtel. In fact, the only "drama shows" I bother to watch are the ones made in English.

Without answering for him, the loss of a crap FTA channel would free up bandwith. Of course online BBC and Channel Four won't kill FTA but I doubt 7,9 and 10 will all survive without any imported programmes. If the internet does (say over the next decade) open up US commercial, US cable and British tv, then what exactly are the Australian FTA channels offering? Local knock-offs of foreign reality tv. Is there that much of a demand for "Who wants to kick a big idol up the arse and then rennovate his garden"?

the top rating programs last week were all local and not imported

Exactly - and if were really lucky the advance of tecnology might lead to more local productions. I'd actually like a model where the producers of quality material get paid more than those who simply regurgitate crap like big brother and idol. It might more higher quality output alround.

What were they? Local programmes like A Current Affair, Big Brother, Idol?

Exactly - and if were really lucky the advance of tecnology might lead to more local productions. I'd actually like a model where the producers of quality material get paid more than those who simply regurgitate crap like big brother and idol. It might more higher quality output alround.

Agreed. Quality material being the stumbling block.

What were they? Local programmes like A Current Affair, Big Brother, Idol?

they were there but also homicide, sea patrol, kath & kim, spicks and specks, the chaser, thank god your here and that new chris lilley thing, even home and away.

these are not to everyones tastes but they are at least local.

Edited by Crowley

Noynnnnnnnnnnnne now 3rd in the ratings... so sad

But so, so sweet.

Treat your viewers like cattle, Nine, and you reap what you sow.

Still the, err, three. :lol:

But so, so sweet.

Treat your viewers like cattle, Nine, and you reap what you sow.

Still the, err, three. :lol:

perhaps we should start a club "Pussies for Noynnnnnnnnnnnne " - I mean CATS of course - go the CATS, scratch eddies maggies tonight!!

Nine is the only FTA Channel that does NRL, and that's about all I watch on 9 as well as some occasional movies, because of 9's position, 9 is unable to provide NRL in HD like TEN are doing with AFL and Rugby World Cup.

If 9 could do NRL in HD, I'm sure less people would go to the games they broadcast, and watch them in HD at home.

Also 9 need to have more NRL games per week than just 3 of the 8, Since NRL has big ratings for 9, 9 should be trying to show at least 5 of the 8 which would provide less reasons for NRL Fans like me to have to get Pay-TV to see our favourite team frequently.