Sign in to follow this  
Dexx1503560195

Making A Border On A Diy Screen?

I read over in the AVS forums of people using black adhesive tape, the kind they wrap hockey stick handles in, as the border for a DIY projector screen. I havent been able to find "Hockey tape" in my local sports stores. Do you have suggestions as to an alternative?

I use a felt with self adhesive on the back from bunnings. $30 all up for 6m x 40mm. Its purpose is for protecting floors from furniture. What did you use for your DIY screen?

I bought some fake velour (real velour is way too expensive), cut it into strips, stretched it over the timber frame and attached it with staples (big ones, not paper staples :P)

The tape idea scares me, you want something that is not the least bit reflective. The beauty of the velour is that it actually absorbs the stray light.

I went the real cheap way, Matt black paint. Does the job well and is a very

definite improvement on both no border and unpainted border.

Caveat; the ae900 has got around 2000 hrs on it so it's definitely no light cannon.

Edited by theeld

If you want to "classy" it up, go to Bunnings et al and buy some bullnose skirting board. Trim it to suit the screen, and cover it with velour, or any matt black fabric. You could use either a spray adhesive, or Kwik Grip.

Hell, if you wanted to go cheap, build the frame from the skirting and just paint it matt black...

Cheers,

Chris

Hell, if you wanted to go cheap, build the frame from the skirting and just paint it matt black...

Pretty much what I did, except I through the timber through the table saw (well, ... Triton)

to create the skirting with the bevel and lip I wanted :-) Cheaper and quicker than *another*

trip to Bunnings

Cheers

I wrapped some type of black fabric (couldn't find black velour) to a timber frame and screwed it into the main frame ... looks great!

screen_frame.jpg