Sign in to follow this  
Marcus1974

Here Is How Austar Will Make More Money

Here's how Austar will bring in more people and more money

Lets say I buy the starter pack for $36.95

Then lets say I want the Comedy Channel so I add 9.95

What pay-tv with movies when I want so i add 13.95 for movies and 13.95 for showtime.

Plus 2.95 for the History channel

So that equals 54.75 divided by 58 channels equals 95 cents per cannel, lets say a buck a channel.

Wouldn't it be better to sell channels for $1 per channel per month

If they did that then I would go back to it.

For example:

I would have the movie channels

comedy channels

music channel

some lifestyle channels

Adds up to around 21 channels so that would cost me

21 dollars per month and I would get what I payed for...

I don't ever watch sport etc so why should I pay for it.

This method would bring in so many more people I think it would finally put preasure on the FTA networks...

Here's how Austar will bring in more people and more money

Lets say I buy the starter pack for $36.95

Then lets say I want the Comedy Channel so I add 9.95

What pay-tv with movies when I want so i add 13.95 for movies and 13.95 for showtime.

Plus 2.95 for the History channel

So that equals 54.75 divided by 58 channels equals 95 cents per cannel, lets say a buck a channel.

By my calculations that actually adds up to $77.75. Which is more like 1.34 per channel. Don't know if this makes a great deal of difference you your argument?

I guess thats why they price the package (and the setup) as they do.

99% of people would get the same package, or take away movies and add sports, and would only cost them around $22. Not enough money for them.

By putting 1 good channel and 3 crap ones... suddenly for only $75 a month you have access to 58 great channels (21 of which you will only even watch). Sounds a lot better than 21 channels (that you want to watch) for $75 (so they don't loose any money)

Foxtel do the same :(

Edited by xc17ed

Yeah...but the shear influx for new subscribers should even things out. then I guess they could charge more for *cough cough* advertising, because their audiance would be larger

I like the way you assume that the channel providers would charge AUSTAR a price that would equate to $1 per channel per customer.

The more channels you chop out of the Starter Pack, the greater the price-per-channel.

So, go with 35 channels at $36.95 or take out 20 that you don't watch, and pay $36.95 for the channels you're keeping because they're the most popular hence the most expensive.

Just be comfortable knowing that you don't know half of the complications that our content controllers would have to deal with, because if you did, you'd have to answer to the 100's of thousands of people demanding to know why you're ripping them off so hard despite the fact they don't know half of what you do.

I guess I'm a bit bitter...

I jumped on the Austar bandwagon back when It first came out and I was doing shift work and was sick of watching infomercials when I got home at 3am...

Back then it was only 30odd bucks for everything...Mind you that equates to the basic package these days...

Back then they told me to jump onto this bandwagon because as more people get board then more channels will be added and cost per month would come down...

Back then I didn't watch sport either.

I watched movies etc.

Why can't you then say you can have what you want...except you have to choose minimum 20 channels

Why can't you have a basic setup like that, that way people can get/leave out what they want

I have no idea how you business works...I'm assuming you would get some sort of advertising revenue, surely your money doesn't just come from subscribers.

Why can't you have a basic setup like that, that way people can get/leave out what they want

I have no idea how you business works...I'm assuming you would get some sort of advertising revenue, surely your money doesn't just come from subscribers.

Marcus,

There is also a technical limitation. The CA austar uses is Irdeto. Now the CA scrambling is divided into products and each product includes a group of services. (ie basic will be one product, sport anoter etc). Irdeto does not support enough products to allow one per service hence you cannot control the enablement/disablement of each service on austar, but rather groups of services.

Irdeto does not support enough products to allow one per service hence you cannot control the enablement/disablement of each service on austar, but rather groups of services.

Wasnt the channel "ID" word in the days of Irdeto 1 FF hexadecimal ie 255 in decimal, hence 254 options, so they "in theory" could have up to 254 individual channels enabled or disabled if they so desired. Assuming the card has the memory capacity to take 254 channel IDs, perhaps the cards capability is the limit?

Irdeto2 is just Irdeto1 with a RAS encryption layer so it could still be done, again assuming the card has the capacity, and whether Austar's software would allow it I guess we will never know. Its probably all to hard for the monkeys, after all, they cant even post on their website news about the mythstar!