Paramount = Hd-dvd Exclusive

As a spokesman for Microsoft said earlier on.. he would predict a "co-existence" scenario outcome..

It will be interesting if SD-DVD remains king until HD movie downloads become available

BTW the only Paramount/Dreamworks HD title the boys want is "over the hedge"

I don't think they have set a release date for that yet though

Like I said before, I'm no longer purchasing 4:3 material (call it a boycott if you wish ;) )

I suppose the one good thing is it has given Fox a kick up the backside to release a few BDs sooner

shame Onkyo and Denon are not releasing duoplayers atm :(

All I can say is GODFATHER & GLADIATOR!
This is a massive shot in the arm for HDDVD. I have always maintained that in this fight content will win out. Until now, BD has been the clear leader in big sales content (as opposed to a straight number of studios comparison), but this changes things radically.

Hell, Transformers is almost enough on its own to swing it for a few people.

Let the landslide to HD begin :rolleyes:
All this means now is that its hard to favour one over the other in regards to content. Up until now i could live with out Universal titles. But Paramount?

On the flip side if you are only HD DVD exclusive, it will be hard to resist some of the titles announced by Fox and co of late.

This news is classic! :lol:

I will enjoy looking forward to seeing these:

Brave Heart

Apocolypse now

breakdown

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

ENEMY AT THE GATES

ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ

FACE/OFF

DAYS OF THUNDER

FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF

FORREST GUMP

FRIDAY THE 13TH parts 1-8

GALLIPOLI

GHOST

GLADIATOR

GREASE

HYSTERIA: THE DEF LEPPARD STORY

KISS THE GIRLS

LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS

MADAGASCAR

MEAT LOAF: TO HELL AND BACK

METALLICA: SOME KIND OF MONSTER

MINORITY REPORT

MOUSE HUNT

MY FAIR LADY

MY SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN

THE NAKED GUN

THE NAKED GUN 2 1/2

NAKED GUN 33 1/3: THE FINAL INSULT

NEIL YOUNG: HEART OF GOLD

NEIL SIMON'S THE ODD COUPLE II

NO DIRECTION HOME BOB DYLAN

OVER THE HEDGE

PAINT YOUR WAGON

PATRIOT GAMES

PAULIE

PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES

POLICE SQUAD: THE COMPLETE SERIES

PRIMAL FEAR

ROSEMARY'S BABY

SCROOGED

SHARK TALE

SHREK 1,2,3

TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE

THE ADDAMS FAMILY

THE GODFATHER 1,2,3

THE GOLDEN CHILD

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

THE ODD COUPLE

THE PRESIDIO

THE RELIC

THE RING

THE ROAD TO EL DORADO

THE SUM OF ALL FEARS

THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY

THE TIME MACHINE

THE TRUMAN SHOW

TITANIC

UP IN SMOKE

WAR OF THE WORLDS

WAYNE'S WORLD 1,2

WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

ZOOLANDER

Jump off BD while you still can, its not too late! :lol:

:P

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this means now is that its hard to favour one over the other in regards to content. Up until now i could live with out Universal titles. But Paramount?

On the flip side if you are only HD DVD exclusive, it will be hard to resist some of the titles announced by Fox and co of late.

I agree, after some thought I don't think this is actually good new for anyone, for than those with both types of players it has no real immediate impact.

For every one else exclusive studio is just a pain, no one wins this way unless you get two players.

Good news would have been more studios going neutral.

If this get reported in the general press it will just slow general take up of both systems.

Well it will all work out eventually, so in the mean time just enjoy the ride, not like it is life of death or anything.

Wow, HD-DVD really needed something like this. Lucky for Universal, a lot of blame will come off them now :)

Even more reason to buy a dual player or both players now... the war just got a lot more complicated :P

I think this decision will also affect Universal's decision for CES 2008 to stay HD-DVD exclusive too.

I agree.... this is the "shot in the arm" that HD-DVD required (and if money did change hands, a good investment by the HD-DVD association) but it further supports the co-existence scenario many here predict.

I suppose the multi million dollar question now is if Warner continues through with its plans to release THD discs next year (Wasn't there talk earlier on that Paramount was considering to release THD discs?), or continues to release dual inventory or goes format exclusive..

This news is classic! :lol:

I will enjoy looking forward to seeing these:

PAINT YOUR WAGON

Jump off BD while you still can, its not too late! :lol:

:P

Gonna paint that wagon

Gonna paint it good

Gonna use oil-based paint

Cause the wood is pine

..love the simpsons! :D

Edited by bladerunner_97

This will be an interesting one.. considering this was a true box office hit.. Fox released SD-DVD locally; you may find a local BD release??

BTW I have no intentions of selling the PS3 Mike :P

Fox will release outside the US, which means you'll need to buy the HD-DVD version unless you have a Region B Blu-Ray Player. Ditto Braveheart. Not that this film will make it on to HD anytime soon, is my guess.

Edited by Julian L

Im sorry if this is going to flame but it has to be said...

every time there is news for the "Blu Ray Camp" - its the standard responses - blu ray has won the war, wont be long before Universal goes neutral etc etc - weve all read them.

Why is it that because there is 1 thats right 1 bit of positive news for the HD DVD camp - all of a sudden we have - this is the wrost thing that could happen for consumers -blah , this is just prolonging the war, Im going to boycott Paramount, Im not going to buy another Hi Def movie Ever etc etc etc.

It REALLY shows the age demographic of the two mediums and the target market to date. The AVS Forum at the moment is Unbelievable with some of the crap being posted int he Blu Ray forum - average age there must be what ...10 - at least on the HD DVD side - yes you have your illogical fanboys at times - but generally the comments in response to news such as this (probably given they have been used to it more often then the Blu side) is in my opinion Very Restrained in comparison.

Competition is good for the consumer - it has driven the prices down, and they will keep going down. Format Neutrality - yep you can go down that path if you want or you can pick a side and hope for the best - this is what happens to early adopters. if you dont have the cash to waste then dont jump on the bandwagon until a clear format has been chosen....I seem to recall that it is Blu ray that started the war - and has been prolonging it. HD DVD is officially endorsed by the DVD Forum , Blu ray is Not. HD DVD Hit the Market Prior to Blu Ray - Blu ray was Not first. - so who ?? started this thing ???

Anyway just my opinions (factually correct or Not)...

Thanks

Mat

every time there is news for the "Blu Ray Camp" - its the standard responses - blu ray has won the war, wont be long before Universal goes neutral etc etc - weve all read them.

Why is it that because there is 1 thats right 1 bit of positive news for the HD DVD camp - all of a sudden we have - this is the wrost thing that could happen for consumers -blah , this is just prolonging the war, Im going to boycott Paramount, Im not going to buy another Hi Def movie Ever etc etc etc.

It REALLY shows the age demographic of the two mediums and the target market to date. The AVS Forum at the moment is Unbelievable with some of the crap being posted int he Blu Ray forum - average age there must be what ...10 - at least on the HD DVD side - yes you have your illogical fanboys at times - but generally the comments in response to news such as this (probably given they have been used to it more often then the Blu side) is in my opinion Very Restrained in comparison.

Competition is good for the consumer - it has driven the prices down, and they will keep going down. Format Neutrality - yep you can go down that path if you want or you can pick a side and hope for the best - this is what happens to early adopters. if you dont have the cash to waste then dont jump on the bandwagon until a clear format has been chosen....I seem to recall that it is Blu ray that started the war - and has been prolonging it. HD DVD is officially endorsed by the DVD Forum , Blu ray is Not. HD DVD Hit the Market Prior to Blu Ray - Blu ray was Not first. - so who ?? started this thing ???

Thanks

Mat

Perhaps, and this is only a perhaps, a good many of the more "vocal BD supporters" are actually PS3 owners whose HD format choice is based solely on their gaming console choice?

I'm quite sure that's the case with a couple or three on these forums. They don't seem to have any other reason for barracking as vigorously as they do.

Thanks

Mat

The issue is, though, what is the end game? Consumers won't buy into a hobbled format en masse. The most sensible thing is for manufacturers to start producing combo formats as it's clear the studios aren't overly concerned about consumers. It's the only way out of this mess in the long term, unless Warners Total HD discs take off (unlikely).

Consumers won't buy into a hobbled format ....

you mean like blu-ray?

profile 1.0

profile 1.1 (making 1.0 zero players redundant and posibly unable to play discs - don't believe me? look what BDJ has done to Pirates of the Caribbeans playability)

profile 2.0 (making 1.1 redundant and all the associated effects of that)

hobbled indeed.

How about solid specs that are madatory from day one that allow all discs, content and special features playable? Oh wait, we have that format already.

That's funny. :rolleyes:

It's funny cause it's true.

You know what, phark all this digital ****, I'm sticking with good old, plain and simple VHS

See you in that forum from now on.

you mean like blu-ray?

profile 1.0

profile 1.1 (making 1.0 zero players redundant and posibly unable to play discs - don't believe me? look what BDJ has done to Pirates of the Caribbeans playability)

profile 2.0 (making 1.1 redundant and all the associated effects of that)

hobbled indeed.

How about solid specs that are madatory from day one that allow all discs, content and special features playable? Oh wait, we have that format already.

It's funny cause it's true.

See you in that forum from now on.

Consumers haven't bought Blu-Ray en masse. Discounting PS3, which can also be used as a gaming machine (its primary purpose), less than 500,000 BD players have been sold in the US. Not having 100% studio support for either format is going to be a deal killer for the general consumer. Spin it any way you like, but these formats will be niche at best if something isn't done to bring the studios together to enable a single player solution. Competition may bring prices down, but unless you are able to sell the consumer a single option that covers everything, you're never going to get past the videophiles.

Edited by Julian L

Consumers haven't bought Blu-Ray en masse. Discounting PS3, which can also be used as a gaming machine (its primary purpose), less than 500,000 BD players have been sold in the US. Not having 100% studio support for either format is going to be a deal killer for the general consumer. Spin it any way you like, but these formats will be niche at best if something isn't done to bring the studios together to enable a single player solution.

Me sees a price drop for Blu-Ray players soon :unsure:

profile 1.1 (making 1.0 zero players redundant and posibly unable to play discs - don't believe me? look what BDJ has done to Pirates of the Caribbeans d.
these discs were authored using BDJ and it wouldn't surprise me if it is something to do with that. Do you have the latest firmware?

you appear to contradict yourself there momaw??? I thought it was because the samsung player didn't have the latest firmware installed???

anyway, apparently from what Paid Geek said, the movies will playback fine but you wont have access to the advanced interactive features???

Consumers haven't bought Blu-Ray en masse. Discounting PS3, which can also be used as a gaming machine (its primary purpose), less than 500,000 BD players have been sold in the US. Not having 100% studio support for either format is going to be a deal killer for the general consumer. Spin it any way you like, but these formats will be niche at best if something isn't done to bring the studios together to enable a single player solution. Competition may bring prices down, but unless you are able to sell the consumer a single option that covers everything, you're never going to get past the videophiles.

ha ha, your bull post got pwnd and that is your response?!? Man you are sad Jace. The number of times you have contradicted yourself today is crazy. Try and keep your story straight.

you appear to contradict yourself there momaw??? I thought it was because the samsung player didn't have the latest firmware installed???

anyway, apparently from what Paid Geek said, the movies will playback fine but you wont have access to the advanced interactive features???

BDA refuse to publically say movie playback will be unaffected. What does that tell you skid? Even they don't know, which means it is a possability.