Sign in to follow this  
TAZMAN

Hitachi Plasma 50" 1080

@ owen.........u ever go to Springwood HiFi?? Thats were I got my speakers........yummmy dynaudio drivers

I used to go there frequently back in the 1970’s, when I was right into HiFi, but I have not been there in years now.

A mate of mine used to work there when the shop was in Springwood.

The original owner, Les Johnston has since passed away.

Anyone interested in the big three The Hitachi the Pioneer and the Panasonic TH-50PZ700A

This came from Panasonic c today:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

This model will be available for purchase early November.

Panasonic Customer Care

www.panasonic.com.au

rather funny following this thread. most of the glowing fanboy reviews posted here are just comparing the unit by it self lol. the negatives came when the unit is put next to the heavy hitters out on the market. now the unit has been recalled? :rolleyes: didnt you ppl smell something fishy with the internal generated HD image played on a loop at various outlets? if the unit is really better then the rest then there is no doubt they would put the hitachi next to all the other demo units and give it the same feed. no offense. but i think ppl should just stick with the pios, panas, samsungs for piece of mind.

i dont agree with you about saying samsung is good , i wouldnt buy samsung if it was half the price it is rubbish, bad reliability and crappy picture....... movement very very bad , pana,.pioneer ,nec,hitachi, all jap brands not the rubbish from korea

i dont agree with you about saying samsung is good , i wouldnt buy samsung if it was half the price it is rubbish, bad reliability and crappy picture....... movement very very bad , pana,.pioneer ,nec,hitachi, all jap brands not the rubbish from korea

they had the samsung, panasonic, pioneer on display at dse next to each other. i would rate pioneer as best follow by panasonic and then samsung. the PQ of samsung is close to that of the panasonic but i find the color to be overly saturated (all using the HD TV feed). its leaps and bounds better then the previous hitachi garbage model i saw at HN.

after seen the previous model hitachi i don't get why those fan boys would consider it up there with pana and pio. especially with misleading comments such as "after i bought it home and tune it, its the best picture i;ve seen" well durrr...after tuning of course its gonna look heaps better then stock displays at an store. thats like saying i bought a commodore and after mods and tuning it goes faster then a stock Ferrari in the straight, there fore its a better car. <_<

anyway, the best thing for buyer is to view those 3 models side by side with the same source and then place judgment for your self before listening to what ppl say on the forum. take reviews by fanboys on this forum with a grain of salt. usually you can tell they;re a fan boy with them reviewing the units by it self with out comparisons against other top plasmas. or making comments like "after playing with settings on that TV it looked way better then others" (no **** :rolleyes: ).

they had the samsung, panasonic, pioneer on display at dse next to each other. i would rate pioneer as best follow by panasonic and then samsung. the PQ of samsung is close to that of the panasonic but i find the color to be overly saturated (all using the HD TV feed). its leaps and bounds better then the previous hitachi garbage model i saw at HN.

after seen the previous model hitachi i don't get why those fan boys would consider it up there with pana and pio. especially with misleading comments such as "after i bought it home and tune it, its the best picture i;ve seen" well durrr...after tuning of course its gonna look heaps better then stock displays at an store. thats like saying i bought a commodore and after mods and tuning it goes faster then a stock Ferrari in the straight, there fore its a better car. <_<

anyway, the best thing for buyer is to view those 3 models side by side with the same source and then place judgment for your self before listening to what ppl say on the forum. take reviews by fanboys on this forum with a grain of salt. usually you can tell they;re a fan boy with them reviewing the units by it self with out comparisons against other top plasmas. or making comments like "after playing with settings on that TV it looked way better then others" (no **** :rolleyes: ).

if you want to come out one day with me ill show you how poor the quality is , ill show you exactly what i look for when testing products , samsung isnt very good,they advertise well, colour saturation , well samsung are stronger with that then any panel around with saturation,watch the samsung when it moves , you will see peoples faces jag around edges and blur very noticable if you are looking for it, yes pana is bright out of the box and wait till you see the new pioneer well that will be so bright ...lol.... but dont ever say to me samsung is better then the japs, people are fooled by price and bright colours and fake stats that claim so much rubbish.... id rather pay 2 more and get hitachi,panasonic,pioneer,nec,fuji, any one of those then waste my money un samsung or lg, also you say you saw it side by side , to date ive never seen a samsung ever look better then a panasonic ,pioneer, side by side ever , never will ....im sure... unless a jap company buy them out.. you know samsung are running a promtion to alot of store to get people to buy there products , so the more you sell of samsung the more points a salesman get and redeem prizes, yea so it is so great... help the salesman get a few free goodies from samsung....sorry 4 getting of the proper reason this thread is on......

Any Plasma that cant out perform an LCD for image quality has got big problems.

Any Plasma that cant out perform an LCD for image quality has got big problems.

Correct.. When will you guys realise that the average sales guys in a store have absolutely NO idea of setting up a screen. They arrive in the store default set to 'VIVID" because that's the way the manufacturer believes the average viewer likes it. The shop guys think this is normal. They then go about setting every set in the store to match..So they are all VIVID with contrast at +10 and brightness at +10. LCD's are typically contrasty and saturated with a steep contrast curve that makes the whites look whiter and the blacks sosmetime blacker..(LCD's do have artificially heightened white level) This is their trick. After 35 years in the professional tv and film production area I can assure you that the only course to original life like studio picture quality now is a plasma screen. If you want pink faces or you want the whole screen to look like the abysmal KAK show on Nine HD in the mornings then go for LCD..this will give you a totally false impression. If you want true photographic natural quality AS IT WAS SHOT and mastered, Go for Plasma..The new PIoneer the new Panasonic and the new 1080P Hitachi are the only screens to potentially provide this quality. Yes there is unconfirmed word about a Tuner fault with the Hitachi..Hopefully this will be resolved. (HDDUser might enlighten us on this) As I've said before I cannot find a better picture right at this moment than my 42" 1024 x 1024 Hitachi..It never ceases to amaze me for its sharp, lifelike picture quality. I am awaiting to ensure that the new one(1080p) is as good. I'm not changing brands just size..And if Hitachi have stuffed up their reputation then they deserve to lose us all.

But please do not take notice of th sets as setup in the stores..Grab the control and modify the settings to normal, given the ambient light, and check the picture source.

Interesting comments about hitachi recall re tuner fault.

Both digital and analogue tuners are fine on my set.

If there was a recall it's usually advertised in the print media and typically the web site would have something.

Then again, recalls generally only happen if the product is dangerous. Might try and contact Hitachi and see what there response is.

cheers

blairy

If there was a recall it's usually advertised in the print media and typically the web site would have something.

Then again, recalls generally only happen if the product is dangerous. Might try and contact Hitachi and see what there response is.

cheers

blairy

Dont panic. This 'recall' message has only come from a sales guy talking to one member of this site.Not confirmed yet..You should ring a few stores as eell as HItachi..Interesting recall if HN have bought 900 units.

Apart from that how do you like the set?

More on the Hitachi Tuner recall. Dont worry! It's a myth. When HN found out that Hitachi has delivered 90 new Hitachi units to JB HiFi in Queensland they went ballistic and told Hitachi if they didn't get them back they'd dump their entire 900 quota back on their doorstep. Hitachi immediately made up a recall story and retrieved the lot from JB. Third party report but my source is reliable...Nought wrong with the tuner. Keep smiling Blairy.

cheers

blairy

Sensationally prompt response from Hitachi. As suspected there has not been a recall

Michael,

There has been no recall on any Hitachi televisions.

Could you please advise which website(s) you saw this on?

Thank you for contacting Hitachi Australia.

Regards,

Customer Service

HITACHI AUSTRALIA

1800 032 689

www.hitachi.com.au/australia

I'm a techno novice, however I had the P50X01 delivered on Friday and certainly very happy with the pq, especially running Blue-ray off a PS3. My old TV was a 76cm CRT!

I did notice what I think is the flicker referred to above when watching Australian Idol on Sunday night. One guy had a pin-stripe suit on and when using the inbuilt HD tuner it would "flash" on and off - quite . When watching though Foxtel, no problems. Is this the flicker, and if so can I do anything to minimise it? It's the only program I've noticed anything.

Also, looking to attach a "mid-range" amplifier - any suggestions?

I'm a techno novice, however I had the P50X01 delivered on Friday and certainly very happy with the pq, especially running Blue-ray off a PS3. My old TV was a 76cm CRT!

I did notice what I think is the flicker referred to above when watching Australian Idol on Sunday night. One guy had a pin-stripe suit on and when using the inbuilt HD tuner it would "flash" on and off - quite . When watching though Foxtel, no problems. Is this the flicker, and if so can I do anything to minimise it? It's the only program I've noticed anything.

Also, looking to attach a "mid-range" amplifier - any suggestions?

Pin stripe suits..herringbone shirts..finely embossed and patterned clothes of all kinds cause an effect at the source..on camera. Normally the studio avoids this problem - sometimes it gets through. Its' very likely that your idol flashing is caused at the source. Any tv set trying to rectify the errors would go mad and give an abberation..

Finally got to sit down and watch a coupl of bd/hd movies.

Last Samurai - actually never seen this before although like most 'epics' it's an easy to follow story line. This meant I was able to critique the pq as well as wach the movie. WOW about sums it up :wub:

Spiderman 3 - looks sensational although I was viewing less critically. Colours great blacks sensational although as I say not critical viewing.

cheers

blairy

Well, a friend of mine bought the P50X01 a few weeks ago, and I had a chance to give it a proper test drive with some TV, HDDVD, Blu-ray, Foxtel and regular DVD.

Out of the box - like most TVs - it looks wrong, and needs some callibrating. Such as...

* Picture mode: Linear

* Colour Temp: Cool

* Contrast: Around 30

* Brightness: 0 or 1

* All the picture processing modes, like noise reduction, black expansion, etc, should be turned OFF.

* Aspect: Full 1080

Once done, it's a very nice TV - MUCH better than Hitachi's previous 50 inch. All the detail in HD is there to see, and regular DVDs and even Foxtel look surprisingly good (we played the DVDs off a Playstation 3, upscaling them to 1080). This TV can refresh at 48Hz (confirmed by Hitachi), so Blu-rays playing at 24p off the Playstation (or whatever else) will be displayed correctly.

The HD tuner works perfectly, the piano black finish is very classy, the swivel-stand can be handy, and the remote is nice. It also has HDMI 1.3 inputs, so it's very future-proof.

It can be picked up around town for under $5K if you haggle, so it's good value - much better than a similarly sized LCD. I've also tested out the Sony X-series Bravia LCD, and a plasma like this beats it every time for picture quality and value.

The only downsides with this TV are the black levels, which are definitely not as deep as a Pioneer or Panasonic (it's definitely an ALiS panel, which always have greyer blacks). You'll need to be watching darker material in a darkened room to really see this, of course. There's also a tad more noise and colour banding than you'd get on a Pioneer or Panasonic.

As of this writing, the competing Panasonic full-HD 50-inch plasma is still a couple of weeks away, and the Pioneer is still around $10K.

As the Panasonic is going for around the same price, it'd represent similar bang-for-buck to the Hitachi. I have NO DOUBT that it'd offer deeper blacks and a slightly cleaner picture, so for those reasons I'd personally prefer it. But on the other hand, it will lack the Hitachi's piano-black finish, swivel-stand, and the ability to display 24p HD at the right refresh rate. It may also turn out to be dimmer panel. The Pioneer will be better than both the Pana and Hitachi of course, but you are paying double - so it damn well should be!

So all in all - a very safe, future-proof purchase.

Edited by Haggis2

Well, a friend of mine bought the P50X01 a few weeks ago, and I had a chance to give it a proper test drive with some TV, HDDVD, Blu-ray, Foxtel and regular DVD.

Out of the box - like most TVs - it looks wrong, and needs some callibrating. Such as...

* Picture mode: Linear

* Colour Temp: Cool

* Contrast: Around 30

* Brightness: 0 or 1

* All the picture processing modes, like noise reduction, black expansion, etc, should be turned OFF.

* Aspect: Full 1080

Once done, it's a very nice TV - MUCH better than Hitachi's previous 50 inch. All the detail in HD is there to see, and regular DVDs and even Foxtel look surprisingly good (we played the DVDs off a Playstation 3, upscaling them to 1080). This TV can refresh at 48Hz (confirmed by Hitachi), so Blu-rays playing at 24p off the Playstation (or whatever else) will be displayed correctly.

The HD tuner works perfectly, the piano black finish is very classy, the swivel-stand can be handy, and the remote is nice. It also has HDMI 1.3 inputs, so it's very future-proof.

It can be picked up around town for under $5K if you haggle, so it's good value - much better than a similarly sized LCD. I've also tested out the Sony X-series Bravia LCD, and a plasma like this beats it every time for picture quality and value.

The only downsides with this TV are the black levels, which are definitely not as deep as a Pioneer or Panasonic (it's definitely an ALiS panel, which always have greyer blacks). You'll need to be watching darker material in a darkened room to really see this, of course. There's also a tad more noise and colour banding than you'd get on a Pioneer or Panasonic.

As of this writing, the competing Panasonic full-HD 50-inch plasma is still a couple of weeks away, and the Pioneer is still around $10K.

As the Panasonic is going for around the same price, it'd represent similar bang-for-buck to the Hitachi. I have NO DOUBT that it'd offer deeper blacks and a slightly cleaner picture, so for those reasons I'd personally prefer it. But on the other hand, it will lack the Hitachi's piano-black finish, swivel-stand, and the ability to display 24p HD at the right refresh rate. It may also turn out to be dimmer panel. The Pioneer will be better than both the Pana and Hitachi of course, but you are paying double - so it damn well should be!

So all in all - a very safe, future-proof purchase.

Well said..a nice review. This is comforting for us awaiting the Hitachi v Panasonic purchasing decision.Two things: Why run contrast at 30 and picture at COOL? (perhaps the new calbration is different than what I have on the current Hitachi) and you say: There's also a tad more noise and colour banding than you'd get on a Pioneer or Panasonic. Any idea why? or why the pana would be less noisy?

Appreciating your comments. You seem to know the subject...

Any other hitachi owners out there...

I have the p50x01. Remote control is CLE-933.

I'm trying to find out of this remote is used for any other hitachi models so i can set up my urc...

thanks

blairy

As of this writing, the competing Panasonic full-HD 50-inch plasma is still a couple of weeks away...

Not true, according to reports on this site the Panas are already in some stores (one guy saw one in Chadstone) and on the net (webprice.com.au have them in stock for immediate delivery for under $4600).

...I just saw pana 50" full hd in JB HiFi Penrith. Only set up today (wasn't there over weekend) and didn't even have price tags etc on it.

On bank of panels across the back of the store. To the left are normal HD plasmas showing a different video feed. Above and to the right are about ten full hd lcd panels.

Looked ok but not brilliant.

Quick chat with sales guy and he reckons it would look better in typical home as lighting is not as bright. Admits he sells pot loads of lcds (as opposed to plasma) because in store LCD looks great in the lighting if compared to plasma. (Obvioulsy this is dumb comparison to make.) Suggested colour and contrast looked better on plasma even if struggling in bright lights...he agreed. He aslo reckons watching LCD for hours on end would drive him mad; bit like looking at a computer monitor for hours. Mind you he still sells them, but hey he's gotta eat too i suppose.

Watched, as best as I could, in isolation from other panels (virtual blinkers). Video feed was blue ray demo...shows actions scens from a range of different movies... Yeah looked good, but can't say it made me regret purchasing my hitachi. Reckon you'd be just as happy with either panel to be honest.

cheers

blairy

Well said..a nice review. This is comforting for us awaiting the Hitachi v Panasonic purchasing decision.Two things: Why run contrast at 30 and picture at COOL? (perhaps the new calbration is different than what I have on the current Hitachi) and you say: There's also a tad more noise and colour banding than you'd get on a Pioneer or Panasonic. Any idea why? or why the pana would be less noisy?

Appreciating your comments. You seem to know the subject...

Thanks Denzil.

Professional industry broadcast monitors (in the Western world) are normally set to a colour temperature of 6500 degrees Kelvin, or "D65". The Japanese callibrate theirs to 9300 degrees, which is a fair bit cooler in its colour cast. At a glance, I'd say that the COOL setting on the Hitachi is close to 9300 degrees, while the Medium/Normal setting is more like 6500.

Now, colour temperature is always a matter of taste, and either mode will work just fine (Indeed, skin tones look natural in both). But I'm a stickler for whites looking TRUE white, as they do in real life - and you only get that in COOL mode. Going into the Colour sub-menu and tweaking until it's somewhere between them is also an option, though.

As for Contrast, once you've taken the TV off DYNAMIC mode, the usual next step is to try out various test patterns and program material, and take the contrast down until the highlights aren't clipping (losing detail). If I remember rightly - even all the way up, the highlight detail was all still there, but the overall picture was a tad "hot". I knocked it down a bit just to take the edge off.

From the testing I've done in the past, the Panasonic plasmas (at least the last few generations), have had consistently clean, reliable processing - less scalng artifacts, dot crawl, colour banding, moireing and overall noise. The Pioneers have been pretty much the same, processing-wise, but with arguably deeper blacks (I've not been able to verify this in a dark room, though). The Hitachis have had pretty variable processing, with pretty big differences between models. I was disapointed with their previous Australian lineup. While the upper-range 1024x1024-pixel models before them were good, the 1080-line models' processing really let them down.

The last shootout I did was between the Panasonic 50PX70A (1366x768 pixels) and the Hitachi 50PD960DTA (1280x1080 pixels), with both HD and SD material. The Panasonic was consistently smooth and clean, but the Hitachi was a bit of a mess.

Having said that, this new full-HD model is a lot better, but I can still see traces of those old processing artifacts. Nothing too offensive, though.

Why is this? Well, all these brands have different stuff under their hoods - different chip manufacturers, different panels and different implementations of them. It so happens that Panasonic & Pioneer have been consistently solid for the last few years.

Cheers...

Edited by Haggis2

Thanks Denzil.

Professional industry broadcast monitors (in the Western world) are normally set to a colour temperature of 6500 degrees Kelvin, or "D65". The Japanese callibrate theirs to 9300 degrees, which is a fair bit cooler in its colour cast. At a glance, I'd say that the COOL setting on the Hitachi is close to 9300 degrees, while the Medium/Normal setting is more like 6500.

Now, colour temperature is always a matter of taste, and either mode will work just fine (Indeed, skin tones look natural in both). But I'm a stickler for whites looking TRUE white, as they do in real life - and you only get that in COOL mode. Going into the Colour sub-menu and tweaking until it's somewhere between them is also an option, though.

As for Contrast, once you've taken the TV off DYNAMIC mode, the usual next step is to try out various test patterns and program material, and take the contrast down until the highlights aren't clipping (losing detail). If I remember rightly - even all the way up, the highlight detail was all still there, but the overall picture was a tad "hot". I knocked it down a bit just to take the edge off.

From the testing I've done in the past, the Panasonic plasmas (at least the last few generations), have had consistently clean, reliable processing - less scalng artifacts, dot crawl, colour banding, moireing and overall noise. The Pioneers have been pretty much the same, processing-wise, but with arguably deeper blacks (I've not been able to verify this in a dark room, though). The Hitachis have had pretty variable processing, with pretty big differences between models. I was disapointed with their previous Australian lineup. While the upper-range 1024x1024-pixel models before them were good, the 1080-line models' processing really let them down.

The last shootout I did was between the Panasonic 50PX70A (1366x768 pixels) and the Hitachi 50PD960DTA (1280x1080 pixels), with both HD and SD material. The Panasonic was consistently smooth and clean, but the Hitachi was a bit of a mess.

Having said that, this new full-HD model is a lot better, but I can still see traces of those old processing artifacts. Nothing too offensive, though.

Why is this? Well, all these brands have different stuff under their hoods - different chip manufacturers, different panels and different implementations of them. It so happens that Panasonic & Pioneer have been consistently solid for the last few years.

Cheers...

Now we're making real sense. I hope the other contributors are observing your comments. Colour temp is certainly for personal choice (except as a program maker for Vivid and Dynamic whci should be banned) and whilst I would debate COOL as a norm, or a means of getting true white I will run with cool for a week or so on my Hitachi 1024x1024.(the best picture I've seen) and see how accustomed I get to it.. Flesh tones are of course my benchmark. Our Barco studio monitors yes ran at 6500K and I'd never thought to relate this rule to the home Plasma..perhaps the cosmetic variable nature of incoming signals need a 'comfort' factor applied and slightly warmer might just do that..Anyway personal taste..You've made me think. It's the new Panasonic 50PX700A (HD1080p of course) which intrigues me. I'll be looking at that against the Hitachi when i can find one in store. However there are enthusiasts out there who maintain that the Hitachi's new Frame Rate Conversion circuitry makes a distinct and worthy advantage to the brand. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again for your intelligent crits..totally valid and informed

Hang around!

I am looking at buying this plasma or the new pana PZ700A. I watch heaps of sport and action movies so my choice was ultimately going to always be a plasma...However I have not been able to see these 2 screens side by side as yet HN have the Hitachi and Clive Peters/JB have the Pana but no one seems to have both in Melbourne as yet.

Those people that have seen both what are your thoughts, which was the better buy, given that they are both around the $4999 or less range now?

Also to pick up on the last post, is the Frame Rate Conversion something that should make me sway more to the Hitachi rather than the Pana?

The contrast ratio on the Hitachi is 10000:1 as opposed to 5000:1, would this make a huge difference and if so how?

Or should I not buy either and just buy the previous pana px70 or px700, as the extra cash to buy the newer model is not worth it as yet?

I am not fully up there technically and would appreciate peoples advice/help.

Hi All,

I bought the Panasonic TH-50PZ700A over the weekend from Retravision (Northland - VIC) and it was their last one. Then I walked into JB a few doors down (who I had phoned during the week and had said they didn't have any and wouldn't until end of Sept) and they had one. Not only that, but it was cheaper. They had 2 left when I last spoke to them (yesterday). Because we did finance (interest free) would couldn't actually have gotten it there anyway (not at 48 months anyway) so I am not too worried, but for anyone else, worth checking out. It is going to take 2-3 weeks for Retra to get more stock from Pana, apparently Pana need to fill 80 back orders!

Anyway, ours arrives this arvo, can anyone point me to a link or advise on what the display settings should be set to for best viewing? I see someone mentioned them for Hitachi in this thread.

I will let you all know how it goes, wanted it for the GF (that was also why I was prepared to pay a bit more and not wait) this weekend. Can't wait!!