Sign in to follow this  
TAZMAN

Hitachi Plasma 50" 1080

Yeah, I too saw the new Hitachi setup at HN Chadstone and was a little disappointed, although at the time I just put it down to the store not spending any time setting it up properly. They also had a Pio 5000EX setup which looked a little ordinary too, so I took it all with a grain of salt.

I think I'm with a few of the posters here who already have some kind of flat panel (for me it an NEX 42XM3W) and are looking to upgrade. The new Pio 508 certainly looks the biz, but sight unseen it's hard to know. I was certainly hoping the Hitachi and the Pana 50" 1080P's might be a cost effective alternative to the Pio, but I guess time will tell in the next month. I echo one of the previous posters in that blacks are more important than huge resolution. My NEC was classed as pretty high res when I got it, but in reality it was the blacks (or greys !!) that annoyed me and ultimately have set me off down the upgrade path.

Edited by Goobatron

I echo one of the previous posters in that blacks are more important than huge resolution. My NEC was classed as pretty high res when I got it, but in reality it was the blacks (or greys !!) that annoyed me and ultimately have set me off down the upgrade path.

Yeah both great blacks and shadow detail really makes such a difference to the overall quality of a TV's picture. I really noticed this when I saw Lyle's Pioneer 50MXE20 in action recently. Made me realise how much I was missing with my Hitachi 8800 and will definitely be the criteria on top of my list when shopping for a larger display in the coming months.

Edited by Felix.

HDDVUSER, contributor to this forum, is the man who fully understands the spec diffences between the Hitachi and the others (The new Panasonic and Pioneer) It's to do with 24fps and the scan frequency I think. Perhaps he might post this info here for all of us to understand.

well whats funny is so many people seeing the plasma set up real bad(hitachi) ive seen it now in both hn stores at auburn and chatswood,yes picture looks poor , i wish i had time to show them how to setup a product properly, basically the hardest thing inventors have had is to create brightness when creating smaller pixels to get 1920*1080p as when they first made them they had issues with brightness comparing them to the standard 42 or 50 plasmas , i think peoples perception is brightness and super colourful pictures is the way it is meant to be setup on, well it isnt , the reason why panasonic have taken so long to bring out the 50inch full hd is it lacked brightness, with the alis panel they are a brighter panel , the new pioneer people are waiting on still will have problems with the Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown for 72hz it isnt reducing the judder like it should be....so when calibrated properly , the hitachi should run well , when people have it at home and play with setting , it can be fixed up properly,watching standard tv on these items will look normal as long as you are sitting the right distance so when people buy a 50 inch and sit 3m away it is there fault because you will see any faults in any tv sitting 2 close, remember alot of the demos of blu-ray are only mpeg2 you are seeing on the screens not mpeg4 or vc1 so the quality isnt as good , you need good film transfer to see good picture , anyway thats my 2 cents worth .....

well whats funny is so many people seeing the plasma set up real bad(hitachi) ive seen it now in both hn stores at auburn and chatswood,yes picture looks poor , i wish i had time to show them how to setup a product properly, basically the hardest thing inventors have had is to create brightness when creating smaller pixels to get 1920*1080p as when they first made them they had issues with brightness comparing them to the standard 42 or 50 plasmas , i think peoples perception is brightness and super colourful pictures is the way it is meant to be setup on, well it isnt , the reason why panasonic have taken so long to bring out the 50inch full hd is it lacked brightness, with the alis panel they are a brighter panel , the new pioneer people are waiting on still will have problems with the Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown for 72hz it isnt reducing the judder like it should be....so when calibrated properly , the hitachi should run well , when people have it at home and play with setting , it can be fixed up properly,watching standard tv on these items will look normal as long as you are sitting the right distance so when people buy a 50 inch and sit 3m away it is there fault because you will see any faults in any tv sitting 2 close, remember alot of the demos of blu-ray are only mpeg2 you are seeing on the screens not mpeg4 or vc1 so the quality isnt as good , you need good film transfer to see good picture , anyway thats my 2 cents worth .....

I have no idea what you're talking about. Here are your two cents back.

So HDDV user has declared his preferences and that is good to know. To my mind there are only three ways to go UP to 50" from an existing 42" Hitachi Plasma which seem to be what many on this forum want to do. I'm waiting to see the Pioneer PDPLX508D and the Panasonic 50PZ700A. These are the only two to be compared against the new Hitachi 50"..and yes we've seen terrible demos of this screen. Having visited many retailers looking at the Hitachi and other screens I came home and seriously reviewed and compared my existing Hitachi 42PD7800TA. I set up again, recalibrated, re-tuned the Humax HD and checked Foxtel and all inputs including HDMI DVD and XBox HD. This Hitachi is the absolute BEST picture I have seen. It is stable, great flesh tones and has brilliant definition. Yes I want 50" and the new HD standard 1080P capability. But if I get the enhanced detail and resolution of this new system onto a screen which is as receptive and great as my existing Hitachi 42" ALiS panel.Then I'll be so very happy. Do I change brands? Pioneer or Panasonic? A difficult decision..I will however wait to see them..I'll be a bastard of a customer at the retailers..But excellence in image is the quest. Has anyone else got the Hitachi already and ready for an opinion of it working at home to your specs?

BY THE WAY The Pioneer PDPLX508D won THE European Award..This is what they said: According to EISA "the ‘Full-HD’ PDP-LX508D sets a new standard for that key benchmark of home cinema video performance: black level depth. To achieve this exceptional result, Pioneer has simultaneously improved the three fundamental display elements - panel, filter and electronics - while at the same time paying close attention to picture processing, including motion compensation subsystems. Plus, as befits such a home cinema workhorse, the PDP-LX508D is also capable of reproducing high definition movies in their original format of 24 frames per second, exactly as they would be seen in a movie theatre"

HDDV on this forum has doubts about this model..Interesting?

While over bright and over colourful TV’s attract the average punter like flies to road kill, the picture quality fanatics are much more interested in colour accuracy and black level.

The notion that a 3 meters viewing distance is too close for a 50” screen is also very odd, there is no need for 1080 on that combination, 768 is plenty.

The whole idea of 1080 is to allow big screens to be viewed up close for a cinema like experience. If you have to sit way back to enjoy the picture, what’s the point of a big TV?

Obviously the bigger the screen or the closer the viewing distance the more the defects in poor quality source are exposed, but that has to be tolerated to some extent, unless people want to move their chair back for low quality source and forward for good HD.

How displays deal with less then best source can vary significantly. A really good display copes well with poor source, where as a lesser display can be unbearable with the same source.

As for HD compression formats, I have yet to see h.264 or VC1 content that is better then good Mpeg2. In fact h.264 and VC1 tend to suffer more from posterization (false contouring). This may just be because Mpeg2 is very mature and well optimised compared to h.264 and VC1. I have no doubt the newer formats will show advantages over time as they mature.

Went to Clive Anthony today to see if they had the new Panasonic pz/s in......unforntunatley still NO

When I inquired about the hitachi FULL HD model the salesman said that they got them in but Hitachi has done a RECALL on them.........

Went to Clive Anthony today to see if they had the new Panasonic pz/s in......unforntunatley still NO

When I inquired about the hitachi FULL HD model the salesman said that they got them in but Hitachi has done a RECALL on them.........

Who is "Clive Anthony" and where? Reason I ask is own this set and if it's been recalled would be good to know details.

Cheers

Blairy

Who is "Clive Anthony" and where? Reason I ask is own this set and if it's been recalled would be good to know details.

Cheers

Blairy

Does creamopp66 mean Clive Peters and if so which suburb? This is important for us Hitachi fans out here. especially for the guy who's just bought one..Could be a dozy salesguy...hopefully.

Edited by denzil1

Does creamopp66 mean Clive Peters and if so which suburb? This is important for us Hitachi fans out here. especially for the gut who's just bought one..Could be a dozy salesguy...hopefully.

Is that a typo or have you been stalking me ^_^

Who’s a big boy then? :D

"especially for the gut who's just bought one"

Get the drift? :D

"especially for the gut who's just bought one"

Get the drift? :D

Okay Owen..gotcha..the typo was up for les than 20 seconds before I corrected...such haste to condemn.. I'd be worried of I were the purchaser..let's find that it's a heap of bs. we hope-we hope. Enjoyed your post of Sept 15 12.03. What sharp clean best flesh toned nonsaturated screen are you watching up there in the Blue Mountains?

Okay Owen..gotcha..the typo was up for les than 20 seconds before I corrected...such haste to condemn.. I'd be worried of I were the purchaser..let's find that it's a heap of bs. we hope-we hope. Enjoyed your post of Sept 15 12.03. What sharp clean best flesh toned nonsaturated screen are you watching up there in the Blue Mountains?

there is a clive anthony store it is owned by jbhifi, at castle hill........ it has nothing to do with clive peeters.........

What sharp clean best flesh toned nonsaturated screen are you watching up there in the Blue Mountains?

A modified and fully calibrated 70” 1920x1080p Sony SRXD, driven exclusively from a high end HTPC, and viewed from 2.8-3.0 meters.

A modified and fully calibrated 70” 1920x1080p Sony SRXD, driven exclusively from a high end HTPC, and viewed from 2.8-3.0 meters.

my opinion , to big for sitting to close...... sxrd are good but not sitting that close no matter how good it is calibrated and generated to give a good picture.....

Rear Projection? SRXD or SXRD? DLP? You're a dark room theatre man right? Will you change to Plasma or stick with RP?

Rear Projection? SRXD or SXRD? DLP? You're a dark room theatre man right? Will you change to Plasma or stick with RP?

SXRD RPTV. Plasma is uncompetitive in this size range, and LCD is intolerable in any size IMHO.

Viewing room is generally dim, but never dark.

The 65" 1080 Panasonic Plasma was the only competitor to the SXRD, but it could not match the blacks, shadow detail or colour of the SXRD.

SXRD RPTV. Plasma is uncompetitive in this size range, and LCD is intolerable in any size IMHO.

Viewing room is generally dim, but never dark.

The 65" 1080 Panasonic Plasma was the only competitor to the SXRD, but it could not match the blacks, shadow detail or colour of the SXRD.

Agree totally with your LCD assessment. So does this rear project system use DLP like the upmarket front projectors? Is it compatible?

I'll get in to trouble for diverting the chat away from the new Hitachi plasma..

Agree totally with your LCD assessment. So does this rear project system use DLP like the upmarket front projectors? Is it compatible?

I'll get in to trouble for diverting the chat away from the new Hitachi plasma..

SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) is Sony’s proprietary version of LCoS. AKA JVC D-ila. It is not DLP.

It is a three chip design like the high end DLP projectors.

The SXRD RPTV is basically a Sony VPLVW50 1080p front projector in a box.

SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) is Sony’s proprietary version of LCoS. AKA JVC D-ila. It is not DLP.

It is a three chip design like the high end DLP projectors.

The SXRD RPTV is basically a Sony VPLVW50 1080p front projector in a box.

Aha! Big Stuff. Now you're talking. Heading towards the Barco breed.

Clive Anthony is in Castle Hill. I inquired about why the Hitachi had been recalled and all he could tell me was that there were numourous faults, such as a problem with the digital tunner. Thats all the info I have sorry.

@ owen.........u ever go to Springwood HiFi?? Thats were I got my speakers........yummmy dynaudio drivers

@ hddvduser... thanks for the info on Clive Anthiny....good to know who OWNS them cause thats were I'll probably be buying my panel.....whatever it turns out to be..........

Edited by creamop66

rather funny following this thread. most of the glowing fanboy reviews posted here are just comparing the unit by it self lol. the negatives came when the unit is put next to the heavy hitters out on the market. now the unit has been recalled? :rolleyes: didnt you ppl smell something fishy with the internal generated HD image played on a loop at various outlets? if the unit is really better then the rest then there is no doubt they would put the hitachi next to all the other demo units and give it the same feed. no offense. but i think ppl should just stick with the pios, panas, samsungs for piece of mind.

Edited by shapes

Might be a case of you get what you pay for however a bit hasty to write it off just yet. Plenty of other brands do recalls &/or have problems.