Sign in to follow this  
TAZMAN

Hitachi Plasma 50" 1080

You did not say what store? I will love to buy from a store who will take it back if I don't like it and give me something else for exchange?

Also what is better with Samsung?

Pioneer PDP-508XDA is looking rather expensive in comparison, it is not even a full HD set! No doubt much better picture but still it is tempting.

Edited by Iceman

This is unconfirmed, but apparently the major price drop is due to problems with the Hitachi accepting 1080p. As I said, unconfirmed.

This is unconfirmed, but apparently the major price drop is due to problems with the Hitachi accepting 1080p. As I said, unconfirmed.

On a friend's setup, I fed the Hitachi both 1080 60p and 24p from a Playstation 3 with no isssues at all.

Saw this at JB Brighton for $3487!!!!

Looked like **** with dvd though. The guy started tuning the HD tuner and I want to go back and see what its like but terrible compared to the pioneer and sony 1o80p.

Just be sure to run some good HD, take both TVs off Dynamic mode, set the Pana's aspect ratio to JUST, and the Hitachi to FULL 1080.

Haggis you've mentioned this before re AR. On FTA HD the full1080 on hitachi (sometimes) ever so slightly shrinks the image so it doesn't quite fill the whole screen. On full AR it fills the screen.

Not certain I want to know the answer but any clues or explanations as to why this happens?

Thanks

blairy

Wonder why the price drop so much especially from HN? Did HN has exclusive deal on these Hitachi or some thing?. I got a quote with 5years and delivery for $4000 this week. Those price are so tempting

Not just a HN deal...also around $3500 at bing lee

I paid 3799 for the hitachi 1080p with 5 years warranty

And i up graded to P9 for 4350 with 5 years warranty n a Belkin power board.

Cheap CHeap Cheap!!!!!!

What store allowed you to exchange?

What are you inputting into tv that looks so poor on hitachi and good on samsung? Or is this just fta?

It's unconfirmed because it's not true. Seen this panel in four differnt stores now displaying 1080p signal.

Also own it and via xbox360 elite and ps3 both via hdmi it does 1080p with no problems at all.

cheers

blairy

Finally got to see all four of these HD panels in action (no not the kuro...price put's it in anothe league).

The four are hitachi, panasonic, samsung and LG. yes LG too has full HD plasmas. The samsung (domayne penrith) was being fed an LG demo sd dvd via component...initially looked dreadful but on a brighter segment of the demo seemed ok. Also pana at same store...some sort of dts music dvd via composite. In fairness it did a good job with sd dvd via composite.

HN penrith have hitachi, lg and pana (unfortunately not side by side) showing smasung blueray demo. LG looked no better than a normal hd panel...pana looked good, although hard pressed to say it's light years ahead of anything else. Sure blacks looked good, although in store (and likley in real world use) you're hard pressed noticing. To my eyes colours on hitachi were more realistic.

Again bulk of this probably relates to settings and individual preferences and even needs in terms of what you view and how you like to watch it (darkended room or normalish living conditions).

As always go look and let our eyes judge.

cheers

blairy

Not just a HN deal...also around $3500 at bing lee

Are you sure this is the full HD 50" P50X01?

Edited by Iceman

Are you sure this is the full HD 50" P50X01?

i got quoted $3600 cash for this model.. seems they are dropping rather quickly!

You will get it cheaper at HN with double the wrranty if I am correct.

Edited by Iceman

Haggis you've mentioned this before re AR. On FTA HD the full1080 on hitachi (sometimes) ever so slightly shrinks the image so it doesn't quite fill the whole screen. On full AR it fills the screen.

Not certain I want to know the answer but any clues or explanations as to why this happens?

Thanks

blairy

Like most 1080-rez TVs, the Hitachi offers an aspect ratio that maps every pixel of a 1920x1080 source onto the 1920x1080 pixels of the TV's panel, rather the norm - which is blowing up the picture and overscanning (cropping) around the edges. (Around 10% is pretty common, which is a lot of picture to throw away.)

The advantages are that you get to see the entire frame, and that the quality can be slightly better, as the TV isn't processing the signal to blow it up unnecessarily.

On the Hitachis, this is called "FULL 1080" mode. But I've noticed that the pixel grid is slightly more inset that most other TVs - you really do see every pixel, whereas most other TVs will still "crop" around 1 to 5% around the edges. (They've really just got the edges of the chassis surround covering a little more of the glass, whereas Hitachi doesn't).

The reason you see it only sometimes, is that some programs, movies, and even games have the picture reduced down in frame a little (5-10%) to compensate for the overscan in most peoples' TVs. The DVD of Starship Troopers is an example.

This is a very silly practice that's getting less popular - as they realise that fewer people are using CRTs, which generally cropped more (10%, or even as much as 20% with some of the older TVs).

argument ad homme from someone who does not have the courage or nous to actually add value to the forum by expressing a view or an opinion is pitiful shapes. Instead of taking undeserved swipes at others opinions try making a meaningful contribution...you may actually learn something...as well as adding value.

Oh, and I'll stand by the comments in my original post. Went back to HN Martin Place today. Hitachi has been moved away from the Pana...quizzed sales guy as to why. His view is that the hitachi was showing up the pana and they had to move it elsewhere. Pana in dim section/corner of store...hitachi now in middle of floor in brightly lit area looks a little poorly.

blairy

what the hell? i've added enough info on this forum about things and facts i know. it doesnt take a genius to figure out you are a hitachi fan. rather then adding bias opinions to this thread i'd rather sit on the side lines digesting ppls views because i haven't seen the hitachi my self so i have reserved my comments. how is that "not having the courage to express a view"? is expressing bias views on a product adding any value to the forum? your comment of a 65" 1080p panasonic been feed by a digital component is worse off then your hitachi plasma with a analog component has taken the cake of bias opinions on this forum. what would be next? 508 kuro looks washed out compared to your hitachi? :rolleyes:

now i have seen the hitachi in HN side by side with the 50" pz700a and new samsung panels displaying HDTV feed i can confirm what haggis2 and others comment of this unit are spot on. the black looks gray, the image is dull compared to panasonic and samsung. you should have a reality check. most of the ppl who added comments here are not blind or stupid.

Today I saw at JB sticker price 3499 , with a note , we will beat 3499 , which mean you could get it cheaper than 3499!!!.

What's wrong with Hitachi. RRP of 5999. LOL!

Imagine someone bought this 1 or 2 mths ago.

Today I saw at JB sticker price 3499 , with a note , we will beat 3499 , which mean you could get it cheaper than 3499!!!.

What's wrong with Hitachi. RRP of 5999. LOL!

Imagine someone bought this 1 or 2 mths ago.

I might be dreaming but I think that consumers should be protected against these sort of things happening.

We all know that prices drop but that's usually after a few months so for those who paid $5000 plus for this TV and are now seeing sticker prices of $3499 and less for cash deals they have every right to feel ripped of especially since it's all happened in a 2-3 week period.

Todays Sunday telegraph has an HN add which says $3,499 for the P50X01AU, there is also a Bing Lee add that has it for $4,999.

Looks like Bing Lee missed the boat on the advertisement.

I might be dreaming but I think that consumers should be protected against these sort of things happening.

We all know that prices drop but that's usually after a few months so for those who paid $5000 plus for this TV and are now seeing sticker prices of $3499 and less for cash deals they have every right to feel ripped of especially since it's all happened in a 2-3 week period.

Do any of these price drops have anything to do with the Australian dollar? I was reading an article the other day and it said that it took 2-3 months for the benefits to be shown on the shop floor?

The Aussie has been trading at 23-year highs, hitting US90.60c overnight.

The benefits of the high dollar should lead to lower prices for consumers in the build-up to Christmas.

Michael Lonie of the Australian Retailers' Association said it generally took two to three months for the benefits of a strong currency to be seen on shop floors.

"Prices for example on LCDs, plasma screens, are at the lowest they've been for quite some time, and that really reflects the last time we had the high dollar (in July)," he said.

"In LCD screens we're seeing about a 15 per cent reduction on what the price was."

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23...8-31037,00.html

Do any of these price drops have anything to do with the Australian dollar? I was reading an article the other day and it said that it took 2-3 months for the benefits to be shown on the shop floor?

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23...8-31037,00.html

I can say the drop in the hitachi price definitely has nothing to do with the aussie dollar buy due to the quality of its screen.

Can anyone find the 3rd HDMI on this hitachi. I can only see 2 at the back and can't find the 3rd on on the sides.

I can say the drop in the hitachi price definitely has nothing to do with the aussie dollar buy due to the quality of its screen.

Can anyone find the 3rd HDMI on this hitachi. I can only see 2 at the back and can't find the 3rd on on the sides.

yep, i'm guessing that some how, or for some reason the quality of these aren't quite up to spec, and they're trying to move them quick smart!! HN the other day, sticker price of $4999, and he offered to give it to me for $3999, managed to umm and arr and he said $3600 cash without any hesitation :blink: it really makes me wonder!! I wonder what's wrong with them :huh:

yep, i'm guessing that some how, or for some reason the quality of these aren't quite up to spec, and they're trying to move them quick smart!! HN the other day, sticker price of $4999, and he offered to give it to me for $3999, managed to umm and arr and he said $3600 cash without any hesitation :blink: it really makes me wonder!! I wonder what's wrong with them :huh:

Went to HN today and they sold them for $3,499 - that's one keen price considering that some folks would have paid close to the RRP of $5,999 a couple of months ago!

Sales person told me that they are moving them because - she whispered the following - they were incorrectly adverstised as 1080p whereas they are only 1080i!!!? Can this be true? Perhaps I don't fully understand the difference but Hitachi's spec sheet clearly states 1080p... Does anyone know more?

I'm quite interested in this screen but have been spooked by a negative posting on this site as well as the heavy discounting...

Cheers, hdj

Sales person told me that they are moving them because - she whispered the following - they were incorrectly adverstised as 1080p whereas they are only 1080i!!!? Can this be true? Perhaps I don't fully understand the difference but Hitachi's spec sheet clearly states 1080p... Does anyone know more?
If that were true wouldn't they be recalling them cause they'll sure get sued otherwise.

I'm quite interested in this screen but have been spooked by a negative posting on this site as well as the heavy discounting...

Cheers, hdj

Same here, still figuring why the price drop so much in so little time. Maybe they order to many and just want to off load them?. Like i said in my previous post they look quite good PQ wise and they are made in Japan so quality is pretty good. LOL guess i wait and see if they drop more

Considering the price - performance of 768p models from Samsung and Panasonic, the Hitachi is over priced at $3.5k.