Hitachi Plasma 50" 1080

Guest theboj007
Ah, but we got some fantastic TVs at bargain prices as a result.

It's an ill wind, etc!

Cheers

Ron

Hello Hobotivo

Can you please also send me a copy (theboj007@hotmail.com). That's a great price.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest theboj007

Hello All

Fantastic Forum.

Here is my situation:

HN Hitachi P50X01 - $2795

HN Pana TH-50PX70A - $1995

HN Pana 50PZ700 $3700 (can get them down to $3300 only after I mentioned JB have a ticket price pf $2999.)

Given the current prices would you still go the P50X01? I think the TV is alot better than the 50PX70A but you are almost paying the same for for a 50PZ700 (even though this has 5000:1 contrast ratio it is a 1080p).

The problem is I have $800 with of Gift Vouchers for HN so my hands are almost tied. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm looking to buy this week.

Thanks

AB.

Hello All

Fantastic Forum.

Here is my situation:

HN Pana 50PZ700 $3700 (can get them down to $3300 only after I mentioned JB have a ticket price pf $2999.)

Given the current prices would you still go the P50X01? I think the TV is alot better than the 50PX70A but you are almost paying the same for for a 50PZ700 (even though this has 5000:1 contrast ratio it is a 1080p).

The problem is I have $800 with of Gift Vouchers for HN so my hands are almost tied. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm looking to buy this week.

Thanks

AB.

Hi there AB. It sounds like you ruled out the TH-50PX70A already.

I can vouch for the Hitachi, it is a great TV and I have had a smile on my face every time I watch it, even now after owning it for three months or so.

It also has the cool electric swivel base which is used often enough that I would have to say it is a great feature and NOT a gimmick.

It has lots of inputs and a very good remote. Overall hard to fault.

If you can't see any improvement in quality between the Panasonic and the Hitachi, I would definitely go for the Hitachi. What are you paying for otherwise?

G

Hi there AB. It sounds like you ruled out the TH-50PX70A already.

I can vouch for the Hitachi, it is a great TV and I have had a smile on my face every time I watch it, even now after owning it for three months or so.

It also has the cool electric swivel base which is used often enough that I would have to say it is a great feature and NOT a gimmick.

It has lots of inputs and a very good remote. Overall hard to fault.

If you can't see any improvement in quality between the Panasonic and the Hitachi, I would definitely go for the Hitachi. What are you paying for otherwise?

G

Yep, love mine too! The picture, especially on blu-ray is a knockout.

I agree re the stand, I thought it was a gimmick too, but it's useful! We use it nearly every day.

I really like being able to go to any source directly via the remote!

Don't forget, this TV had $6K price tag just 6 months ago.

I'd buy again! Especially at the price I got. :)

Cheers

Ron

Hello All

Fantastic Forum.

Here is my situation:

Thanks

AB.

The pana cannot do 1080p/24. The hitachi can. Other comments re pq, remote, swivel function etc are all valid, but for me 1080p/24 is a deal breaker, especially if you also go bluray (or even hddvd).

Presume pana is at hn? Buy the hitachi and use vouchers for a bluray from hn :unsure:

good luck

blairy

The Panasonics and Samsungs have descent blacks, especially the cheap 768 models, the Hitachi does not.

I’ll take black levels over 24p support or 1080 every time, but it’s a personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...
The Panasonics and Samsungs have descent blacks, especially the cheap 768 models, the Hitachi does not.

I’ll take black levels over 24p support or 1080 every time, but it’s a personal preference.

have you tried turning the black enchancement to maximum? It's got quite decent black levels when it's on maximum

Agreed it is all down to personal preference. For me the jitterbug images from a non 24p panel or a non 24 p player into a 24p panel are so distracting as to seriously detract from the enjoyment of the movie.

Black levels, yes an issue not to be ignored...seen the hitachi lined against the pioneer and panasonic. For the money (especially in recent months) you cannot go past the hitachi. Of course if money is no object...well sorry it always is :P

cheers

blairy

Agreed it is all down to personal preference. For me the jitterbug images from a non 24p panel or a non 24 p player into a 24p panel are so distracting as to seriously detract from the enjoyment of the movie.

Black levels, yes an issue not to be ignored...seen the hitachi lined against the pioneer and panasonic. For the money (especially in recent months) you cannot go past the hitachi. Of course if money is no object...well sorry it always is :P

cheers

blairy

The Hitachi is an appalling TV. In fact its rubbish. It is only 1080 i and has a shockingly poor picture quality. You would have more enjoyment eating crush glass than owning this Panels poor quality. Good riderance to Hitachi , may you never try to sell your garbage here in Australia again. Oh to settle the petals who own these , I bought a 5000 and a 7800 , since happily sold.

You obviously don’t understand how the Hitachi works, even though it has been discussed at length in this thread. 1080 is 1080, how the image is created is not relevant.

Older model Hitachi’s where only 1024 wide which is not 1920x1080, though looking at a 1024x1080 next to a 1920x1080 model shows them to be little different in practical use, as expected.

The shortcomings of the Hitachi have nothing to do with the way it updates its screen.

The Hitachi is an appalling TV. In fact its rubbish. It is only 1080 i and has a shockingly poor picture quality.

Well, your assessment of the p50X01 is significantly different to mine. I understand the difference between 1080p and 1080i and am unconcerned by it (I strongly suggest you take the time to read the many explanations on this thread). But I can tell you you that every time we sit down to watch it my wife and I congratulate one another on the excellent purchase we made.

JB HiFi in Woden had it set up right next to a 50in Pio, and amidst at least 10 other FullHD plasmas, and I looked at them for ages and the rock solid steadiness of the Hitachi picture was what won me over, as I think I may have said elsewhere in this thread, the Pio's blacks were possibly a touch blacker, but seemd to me to show less detail. And at around half the price of the Pio (but not from JB) with 5yrs warranty and and excellent GPS as a freebie it was not a hard decision to make. And one that I am yet to regret.

In terms of picture quality I consider it brilliant both with BluRay and FTA, and it significantly outperforms my expectations with Foxtel, and from my (analog) TiVos which are only connected via composite.

You would have more enjoyment eating crush glass than owning this Panels poor quality.

I have no experience with eating crush (sic) glass, but if it is really more enjoyable than watching the Hitachi I must give it a go sometime. :)

Oh to settle the petals who own these , I bought a 5000 and a 7800 , since happily sold.

So, you bought two Hitachi Panels before you decided they were appalling, did you? What excellent market research!

Also, I see from your previous posts that you appear to have a quite high opinion of some of the Soniq brand units... I rest my case. (I looked at the current 32" Soniq plasma as a possible replacement for my elderly mother in law's CRT, but even she would have been dissatisfied with it as her cataract surgery has now been successfully completed.)

Cheers

Ron

You can buy a 50” Panasonic for $1700. I don’t see value in the Hitachi at that price.

I am happy to defend the Hitachi regarding its sudo 1080i display method which works fine, but I have to say that Hitachi black levels are really bottom of the Plasma barrel, only thing worse is an LG.

The latest model has better backs then the older models, but that’s not saying much as they where shockers as far as blacks where concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Owen, have you tried turning the black enchancement to max?

I really don't see the fuss? With enhancement off, it's poor, but with it on max, it's perfectly acceptable. On par with the pana and sammy i felt.

i'm not overly fussed by the black levels though, the rest of the image is very realistic and that's why i love this tv