Hitachi Plasma 50" 1080

not many people get the chance to watch tv at home in pitch black either thats probably why they dont , also i disagree the sony sometimes looks super black and you get a grey beem through the panel when certain sources pass through it ,ive tested in the dark , ive also tested the w and the x series lcd together ands the electronics testing inside the x series didnt handle noise test as well as the w the w was perfect and the x series failed which suprised me .

I have yet to see any digital display that provided what I call black in a room with enough light to read a news paper, and that’s not pitch black by any stretch of the imagination.

also what setting did you have the sony on because there standard setting on the x is set to colour is still at 55 ,contrast is set higher then normal screens for standard setting , ive found alot of lcd screens now are coming out with higher then normal standard setting , standard should be set in the middle for colour ,brightness,sharpness etc, but they are not ,i feel the blacks are better on the x series then the w series ... the w series blacks wash out a bit more so ,

Most TV’s have garish and excessive colour saturation set to middle of the range (50), so you cant use a middle setting as any kind of reference.

the reason also the guy testing the 65inch plasma with hdmi and the 50 running component is because component is actually brighter image being produced ,out of the panasonic player as it isnt 1.3 deep colour, so component will actually give you a brighter image ..

Two things here, firstly different inputs will have different brightness, colour etc, but after each input is correctly calibrated they will all be the same.

HDMI 1.3 “deep colour” is pointless as no HD disks are encoded with “deep colour” and almost certainly never will be as the specifications and encoding standards for both BluRay and HD DVD only allow for 4:2:0 8bit colour and NOTHING higher.

hitachi will release a new 50 inch panel full hd in about 5 months not a alis panel which will be there first proper full hd panel,1920*1080p panel not a interlaced panel with the same chip to process it as the p50h version ,it has the same chip inside to process to 1080p,they can get away with calling it full hd because it is 1920 *1080i panel , they are not telling porkies as it doesnt state to be full hd has to be 1920*1080p panel...

im not sure if hitachi will like all of you to know this information but ive got the shits as i feel it is miss leading people , they deliberalty miss lead people , the new panel coming out in 5 months is there real full 1080p panel , which is the one which was meant to be used now...

my opinion id hold of buying any full hd plasma for a while as they are not up to scratch yet in any brand for full hd maybe 6 to 12 months time for a plasma or go and buy the new pioneer full hd when it comes out , probably the ownly one id buy...

There is nothing more “full HD” about 1080p compared to 1080i. Put up a 1920x1080 test pattern on either and they should look the same.

Hitachi Plasma’s have in the past had poor black levels, and from what I have seen of the new 1080 50” that situation continues, which is a shame.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also what setting did you have the sony on because there standard setting on the x is set to colour is still at 55 ,contrast is set higher then normal screens for standard setting , ive found alot of lcd screens now are coming out with higher then normal standard setting , standard should be set in the middle for colour ,brightness,sharpness etc, but they are not ,i feel the blacks are better on the x series then the w series ... the w series blacks wash out a bit more so

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: MIN (0)

Picture: 80

Brightness: 47

Color: 45

Color Temp.: Warm 1

Sharpness: 45

DRC Mode: Mode 1

DRC Palette: Reality(35), Clarity(15)

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: OFF

Advanced Contrast Enhancer: OFF

Gamma: OFF

Clear White: OFF

Live Color: OFF

Color Space: Wide

Detail Enhancer: OFF

Edge Enhancer: OFF

Power Saving: OFF

Display Area: Full Pixel (HD)

White Balance(GrayScale):

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: -3

B-Gain: -15

R-Bias: -4

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -1

Edited by Haggis2

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: MIN (0)

Picture: 80

Brightness: 47

Color: 45

Color Temp.: Warm 1

Sharpness: 45

DRC Mode: Mode 1

DRC Palette: Reality(35), Clarity(15)

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: OFF

Advanced Contrast Enhancer: OFF

Gamma: OFF

Clear White: OFF

Live Color: OFF

Color Space: Wide

Detail Enhancer: OFF

Edge Enhancer: OFF

Power Saving: OFF

Display Area: Full Pixel (HD)

White Balance(GrayScale):

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: -3

B-Gain: -15

R-Bias: -4

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -1

nobody will watch a lcd with backlight at 0.... i dont care how good you think your eyes are lcd dont get tested at backlight at 0,its not normal for people to try and watch and enjoy the picture with it set like that , if you are going around testing screens doing things like that no wonder why you have crappy results, there is a thing called calibration but not stupidity,

nobody will watch a lcd with backlight at 0.... i dont care how good you think your eyes are lcd dont get tested at backlight at 0,its not normal for people to try and watch and enjoy the picture with it set like that , if you are going around testing screens doing things like that no wonder why you have crappy results, there is a thing called calibration but not stupidity,

Struth! Genlemen. Perhaps we mght have to look at court restraining orders for Haggis 2 and HDDUser. This is better than WATCHING television..Just needs a good score, atmos track and some cool 'Wire in The Blood' cutting . What drama!

Edited by denzil1

Curious why you would say know one would want to use minimum backlight on a Sony LCD. In my experiance with the 56" and 52" Sony's, I can say I would not want to use a higher setting in my subtly lit viewing environment (definatelly not dark).

The Sony LCD's are normally WAY, WAY too bright for a lot of viewing conditions IMHO.

Can't understand your reaction.

Having the backlight set to zero is not THAT much dimmer than half-way.

But you can see the difference in the dark. Even then - it's not that dramatic.

I know three people who own X-series LCDs, and they all have their backlight set to 0.

I should add that anyone who likes to watch their movies in the dark SHOULDN'T be buying an LCD (or a plasma with grey blacks, like the Hitachi).

Edited by Haggis2

i just got one today - delivered tommorow ... $3400

was going to get a pz700a but it was 1k more ... and couldnt justify it even though it did look a bit better.

i'll post some more info once i take it for a test drive

i just got one today - delivered tommorow ... $3400

was going to get a pz700a but it was 1k more ... and couldnt justify it even though it did look a bit better.

i'll post some more info once i take it for a test drive

Is the price with 5years warranty or just the standard 1 year?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2...in-Plasma-TV/p1

this is the review of the hitachi, pretty bad review.

What was hitachi thinking trying to cheat the aussie consumers with RRP 5499, imgine if someone bought it for 4999, while in U.K its consider a cheapo 1080p plasma.

But for those who bought it for 3.5K, I reckon its quite a fair price for it.

I just read this review from your link & I dont think is the panel that we are talking about here unless the specifications in this review are wrong because says that the panel resolution is 1280*1080. We have this panel in Australia also & is a lot cheper than $3400 I am pretty sure you can pick it up in the high $2000's

Edited by gonzo32

Is there any review on this Plasma a proper review. I couldnt find any or am i searching wrong lol. I went to HN to have a look at this unit it was running on Hitachi own feed material using HDMI look pretty good to my eyes dunno why so many people saying this is a bad plasma

Man i just brought the new PLasma 1080p Hitachi 50` Plasma... Its Sucksssss...

changing it to the Samsung P9 tomolo!!!! Cant WaiT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Surely if it looked good in store you can make it look good in your home?

blairy

lol hdmi feed pana 65" has washed out colors? but component 50" hitachi better it? this is the first time i heard about it. and it takes the cake...not surprised coming from you. 65" panasonic is one of the best screens i saw that bettered the 50" pioneer(not alone on this one). it seems you and 2 others are the only ones on this board that still think hitachi are top dogs in the HDTV market.

argument ad homme from someone who does not have the courage or nous to actually add value to the forum by expressing a view or an opinion is pitiful shapes. Instead of taking undeserved swipes at others opinions try making a meaningful contribution...you may actually learn something...as well as adding value.

Oh, and I'll stand by the comments in my original post. Went back to HN Martin Place today. Hitachi has been moved away from the Pana...quizzed sales guy as to why. His view is that the hitachi was showing up the pana and they had to move it elsewhere. Pana in dim section/corner of store...hitachi now in middle of floor in brightly lit area looks a little poorly.

blairy

Well Just got my Samsung P9 today!!! it kick ASS all over Hitachi!!!!! Brighter color, smoother, Nicer pictures not like the hitachi Dull looking ...!!!!!! one more thing is that the Samsung is slimmer but wider then the hitachi... and it weight more then the hitachi.

Harvey Norman has an ad in todays West Australian for the 1080p model ticket price of $3499.

I'll jump in nearer the $3000 mark.

Wonder why the price drop so much especially from HN? Did HN has exclusive deal on these Hitachi or some thing?. I got a quote with 5years and delivery for $4000 this week. Those price are so tempting

Edited by peter2000

Harvey Norman has an ad in todays West Australian for the 1080p model ticket price of $3499.

I'll jump in nearer the $3000 mark.

If you want to spend around $3K, I'd seriously recommend testing out the Panasonic 1366x768 50" against the Hitachi....I think you'd be VERY surprised.

Just be sure to run some good HD, take both TVs off Dynamic mode, set the Pana's aspect ratio to JUST, and the Hitachi to FULL 1080.

Edited by Haggis2

Well Just got my Samsung P9 today!!! it kick ASS all over Hitachi!!!!! Brighter color, smoother, Nicer pictures not like the hitachi Dull looking ...!!!!!! one more thing is that the Samsung is slimmer but wider then the hitachi... and it weight more then the hitachi.

What store did you buy it from. It seem like a good deal that if you don't like it get something else.

What did you pay for the Samsung P9?

What is better with this one over Hitachi?

What are the FTA channels like on this one?

What store did you buy it from. It seem like a good deal that if you don't like it get something else.

What did you pay for the Samsung P9?

What is better with this one over Hitachi?

What are the FTA channels like on this one?

I paid 3799 for the hitachi 1080p with 5 years warranty

And i up graded to P9 for 4350 with 5 years warranty n a Belkin power board.

Cheap CHeap Cheap!!!!!!