Hitachi Plasma 50" 1080

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Consal.

I paid $5199 (I know, I know, JB have it for $4999). That was with interest free. And those resort voucher things Retra is currently offering (whatever!!!).

It did come down to the Hitachi and Pana, I never got to see them side by side sadly but I just went thru all the reviews - Pana did seem to come out the better product but the Hitachi is still very very nice. Also we have a lot of Pana components (we also bought the HD recorder/DVD player, we already own the still camera and video camera) so it made sense for us to stick with the brand as we have been very happy so far.

That's it! Brand loyalty ... ;)

You paid what you paid, dont worry about it. I am making the same decision as you right now. Clive Peters has it for $4999 and on the web you can get it for $4600.

Both without interest free. So you did well.

Which Pana hd recorder/dvd player did you get? I am also thinking of getting one of those too. I may just copy you Cindernat hehehe

Hi again,

Thanks for making me feel better ;)

I got the Panasonic (surprise!) DVD-Recorder with Integrated Digital Tuner, 250GB HDD & HDMI Model No: DMR-EX85 for about $850 (can't seem to find where I put the receipt).

We are going to set it all up tonight.

TV is here and looks awesome, can't wait. :D

Edited by cindernat

Cindernat

Let me know how it looks tomorrow please. I am about to put my order in.

Haggis2, your post on 23 September said you thought the blacks on the pana might be deeper than on the Hitachi, are you still of that view?

Now we're making real sense. I hope the other contributors are observing your comments. Colour temp is certainly for personal choice (except as a program maker for Vivid and Dynamic whci should be banned) and whilst I would debate COOL as a norm, or a means of getting true white I will run with cool for a week or so on my Hitachi 1024x1024.(the best picture I've seen) and see how accustomed I get to it.. Flesh tones are of course my benchmark. Our Barco studio monitors yes ran at 6500K and I'd never thought to relate this rule to the home Plasma..perhaps the cosmetic variable nature of incoming signals need a 'comfort' factor applied and slightly warmer might just do that..Anyway personal taste..You've made me think. It's the new Panasonic 50PX700A (HD1080p of course) which intrigues me. I'll be looking at that against the Hitachi when i can find one in store. However there are enthusiasts out there who maintain that the Hitachi's new Frame Rate Conversion circuitry makes a distinct and worthy advantage to the brand. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again for your intelligent crits..totally valid and informed

Hang around!

When I set this Hitachi P50X01 up, there was a list of things to play around with on the day. As I'm a bit of a purist, the Frame Rate Conversion feature was down the bottom of the To-Do List, and I only spent a few minutes trying it out. It seemed to have an effect like a similar mode on many Philips and Samsung LCD's, where film material suddenly looks like it was shot on video. These modes also tend to introduce some wierd artifacts, where portions of the picture are affected differently. At least with the Hitachi, you can dial it up in increments.

I'll give it a proper try next time I'm around there, though.

Edited by Haggis2

When I set this Hitachi P50X01 up, there was a list of things to play around with on the day. As I'm a bit of a purist, the Frame Rate Conversion feature was down the bottom of the To-Do List, and I only spent a few minutes trying it out. It seemed to have an effect like a similar mode on many Philips and Samsung LCD's, where film material suddenly looks like it was shot on video. These modes also tend to introduce some wierd artifacts, where portions of the picture are affected differently. At least with the Hitachi, you can dial it up in increments.

These inbuilt Movie Mode type modifers on the Samsungs have come under fire on this forum and in press reviews. They are cited as being ghastly. Who would want film to look like video? (get an LCD) Yuk. The Hitachi system has an actually unique and properly engineered Frame Rate Stabilising system.

Looking forward to your ongoing review.

hey guys great and usefull comments going to check out jb this weekend they said they will have the hitachi end pana side by side this is what i really want to see, if any one else has similar viewings i would love to here comments on both ,cheers :blink:

look now since the panasonic is out i say this that the panasonic uses the anti glare screen , which makes colours drop brightness,the blacks are not as black as the hitachi as they dont use a non reflexive screen , the panel over all is better when you run high res images the sharpness isnt as crisp as the hitachi, so you will make your mind up soon when you see them.....

look now since the panasonic is out i say this that the panasonic uses the anti glare screen , which makes colours drop brightness,the blacks are not as black as the hitachi as they dont use a non reflexive screen ,Cthe sharpness isnt as crisp as the hitachi, so you will make your mind up soon when you see them.....

Does anyone know if the Clive Peeters stores have either the Hitachi or the new Panasonic Z700A in store yet? If not perhaps when?

Cindernat

Let me know how it looks tomorrow please. I am about to put my order in.

Haggis2, your post on 23 September said you thought the blacks on the pana might be deeper than on the Hitachi, are you still of that view?

For sure.

This new Hitachi definitely has greyer blacks than the previous-generation Panasonics (1366 x 768 pixels).

I can't imagine the NEXT generation having inferior blacks. On the other hand, the new Panasonic might just be an overall dimmer panel than the Hitachi.

Even if it is, I'd happily take a marginally dimmer panel if it means deeper blacks.

Guess we'll see.....

Edited by Haggis2

For sure.

This new Hitachi definitely has greyer blacks than the previous-generation Panasonics (which have 1366 x 768 pixels).

I can't imagine the NEXT generation of Pana's having inferior blacks. On the other hand, the Panasonic might just be a dimmer panel overall.

Guess we'll see...

did you see the th-50px700a well it isnt as bright as that panel and the blacks are not as good as it is a different screen type they use , so you are comparing it to a different screen , and your thinking is like you would compare it to normal plasma screens with normal screens instead of reflexive screens, you will be suprised...

did you see the th-50px700a well it isnt as bright as that panel and the blacks are not as good as it is a different screen type they use , so you are comparing it to a different screen , and your thinking is like you would compare it to normal plasma screens with normal screens instead of reflexive screens, you will be suprised...

Like I say... guess we'll see.

Can't imagine the glass surface having too much effect on the picture when all the lights are out, though.

The "non-reflective" screen is there so these plasmas will have less glare when viewed in a brighter room. Of course, this is to compete with LCDs, which have mostly had this feature from the get-go.

As for the panel UNDERNEATH the glass, that's a different story...

Like I say... guess we'll see.

Can't imagine the glass surface having too much effect on the picture when all the lights are out, though.

The "non-reflective" screen is there so these plasmas will have less glare when viewed in a brighter room. Of course, this is to compete with LCDs, which have mostly had this feature from the get-go.

As for the panel UNDERNEATH the glass, that's a different story...

Gentlemen. Can I field a slightly different question which should be appropriate to what we're all seeking. Terrific immaculate quality television pictures! It's about 1080p. I read that my XBox HD DVD PLayer whilst cabled as Component will NOT feed 1080p to any panel. Correct? So with my new Hitachi or Panasonic where will I access TRUE HD 1080p from? Broadcast? perhaps not until December? If then? Standard DVD? I think not. So will I have to BUY a true HD DVD Player or buy ANOTHER Xbox with HDMI connectivity. Thoughts Please?

Gentlemen. Can I field a slightly different question which should be appropriate to what we're all seeking. Terrific immaculate quality television pictures! It's about 1080p. I read that my XBox HD DVD PLayer whilst cabled as Component will NOT feed 1080p to any panel. Correct? So with my new Hitachi or Panasonic where will I access TRUE HD 1080p from? Broadcast? perhaps not until December? If then? Standard DVD? I think not. So will I have to BUY a true HD DVD Player or buy ANOTHER Xbox with HDMI connectivity. Thoughts Please?

vga

Hi all,

Well we got it all set up last night, and boy is it beautiful. You realise of course I am going to be totally biased, but in saying that it looks sensational and better than I even imagined. IMO, the blacks are fine, I watched some TV (HD), and a couple of DVDs (no blu ray as yet and no console).

Here are some pics of the new setup (excuse the mess and we have not got our entertainment unit yet for it all to go on):

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/cindernat/TV...key=eiYZVW19joA

That was at night with dim light so sorry if the photos aren't great. But yeah, I am loving it. Tweaked the display settings a bit but still plan on playing around a bit more.

I saw the pana at clive peeters at ringwood and at JB in the city. I saw the Hitachi at HN in the city. As yet have not seen them side by side to compare.

Has anyone done that yet? If so, can they let me know their thoughts please....

Haggis2, I would be especially interested in your thoughts as you don't seem to have a bias either way....just want a great panel. Admittedly all reports say the Pion is way and beyond the best but it is $7500 so at least 50% more on rrp. For me, I simply can't justify that sort of money. So the pana or the hitachi it is....let the comparisons begin...

Owen

Why do you say that? I was referring to the Kuro which is 1080p and comparing it with the pana and the hitachi on price alone.

I have read a few of your posts and respect your opinion, and would be keen to know why you say go the Kuro 768? Isn't the new 1080p buying future technology, or have I just been brainwashed by the salesguys?

C

There is nothing “future proof” about a 1080p display, so you may have been led astray by a sales person.

What provides the most future proofing is a display with the best picture quality and that will be the 768 Kuro, no doubt.

More pixels don’t necessarily make for a better picture, and unless you plan on viewing a 50” screen from less then about 2.1 meters, the extra pixels on a 1080 model won’t give you more visible resolution either, not now and not ever.

The superior blacks and processing of the Pioneer are much more important then 1080 resolution. They should be released in a couple of weeks, and you can see for your self.

From my post dated 9/9/07 on this topic...

Took the opportunity to watch 300 via ps3 myself this afternoon, along with quick view of foxtel movies (cinderella man) and rugby league on nine and a-league on fox sports.

Spotted very limited bits of what might be described as flicker (or even tearing) when viewing 300. This hitachi has a setting - movie mode - which provides four different options. Can't remember what each one does, but out of the box it's set to "smooth 1." Changed this to original and only noticed flicker once thereafter which I then realised was not flicker at all but a hair blowing in the breeze behind leonidas prior to changing setting I scanned back each time I saw flicker on the disc and rewatched - in one instance what I thought was flicker repeated itself; on the other two or three occassions it didn't repeat itself - indicating that player/source maybe the cause.

Presume Movie Mode is the FRC thingy that makes this set interesting to some...turning it off seems to work best, although I haven't tested it in great depth.

Cheers

blairy

From my post dated 9/9/07 on this topic...

Took the opportunity to watch 300 via ps3 myself this afternoon, along with quick view of foxtel movies (cinderella man) and rugby league on nine and a-league on fox sports.

Spotted very limited bits of what might be described as flicker (or even tearing) when viewing 300. This hitachi has a setting - movie mode - which provides four different options. Can't remember what each one does, but out of the box it's set to "smooth 1." Changed this to original and only noticed flicker once thereafter which I then realised was not flicker at all but a hair blowing in the breeze behind leonidas prior to changing setting I scanned back each time I saw flicker on the disc and rewatched - in one instance what I thought was flicker repeated itself; on the other two or three occassions it didn't repeat itself - indicating that player/source maybe the cause.

Presume Movie Mode is the FRC thingy that makes this set interesting to some...turning it off seems to work best, although I haven't tested it in great depth.

Cheers

blairy

At the risk of harping have you seen my previous post about acquiring fully 1080P engineered programs.Where will we get them from? Any on broadcast? Ever?